Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

but it's going to take time to figure out how to load it. Like... the bottom rack is all weird. Instead of 2 big long racks it's got 1 medium rack and 2 small-ish racks.

The top (3rd) rack is interesting... great for big cooking/serving utensils. Not sure about other stuff so far. Going to have to experiment and see what works.

Yeah I have a bosh dishwasher and I agree on the racks. They are weird and I’m not sure if I like them tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Sweeper posted:

Is the third rack the utensil rack? If so we put all spoons, forks, etc up there grouped by type so when you u load you can just grab the whole set at once and plop it in the drawer. Our washer also came with a utensil thing for the bottom rack, we just removed it since the 3rd rack is better

So the version we have has a slightly different 3rd rack I guess (edit: it's the "MyWay" rack apparently?). It's bigger than the other models and is designed to also accommodate smaller dishes like shallow bowls and stuff. There's a utensil holder on the side, but it's smaller than the normal 3rd rack utensil holder. Only takes up like 1/4 of the rack. So far we've found that this actually works great for the kids utensils since they have the wider handles that don't normally fit in slots in the baskets on the bottom rack.

That said, looks like I can get a half-rack utensil holder for the 3rd rack, or apparently I can just swap the whole drat thing out for the other style if I really wanted to. Probably not going to, but nice to know it's an option I guess!

We run the dishwasher every drat day, so I'm sure I'll figure it out.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 6, 2023

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
We specifically didn’t buy a Bosch dishwasher because the racks were so dumb.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The top, shallower rack in my Bosch 500 is dope as poo poo

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I just want to be able to shove a baking half sheet in no problem. Will the Bosch let me do this

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TheWevel posted:

We specifically didn’t buy a Bosch dishwasher because the racks were so dumb.

My Bosch 800 is still in the packaging because I haven't gotten my cabinets assembled yet so I can't even look at the racks yet, what part is dumb? From this video it seems pretty nice and very customizable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYeUWEf3wZU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sirotan posted:

My Bosch 800 is still in the packaging because I haven't gotten my cabinets assembled yet so I can't even look at the racks yet, what part is dumb? From this video it seems pretty nice and very customizable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYeUWEf3wZU

The bottom rack is whack AF

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I think once we figure it out it'll be fine. It's just so different from any other dishwasher I've used, so it'll take some adjustment.

George H.W. oval office posted:

I just want to be able to shove a baking half sheet in no problem. Will the Bosch let me do this

Haven't tested yet, but the middle rack is height adjustable so probably!

But worst case you can also remove the middle rack completely and buy a "tall item sprinkler head" that turns the back water connection (that normally feeds the middle rack) in to a sprayer.

We always hand wash our pots and pans anyhow. Non-metal baking dishes will go in the dishwasher if there's room, but anything metal usually gets hand washed. Honestly we normally fill the dishwasher up pretty good as-is with regular dishes, so fitting pots and pans is questionable.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 6, 2023

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
The dark secrets of the beloved Bosch dishwashers are finally coming out.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
risking lives ITT by speaking against the cult of bosch

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?
Using German engineering to load your dishwasher.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

:siren: LOCAL BREAKING NEWS: WATER EDITION :siren:

I look outside this morning after I woke up to the local news channel pointing a camera down my street and water authority trucks and news trucks swarming everywhere.

I walk outside and the anchor asks me "hi sir were you affected as well?" And I'm like " :confused: "

Apparently something happened with the water main on my street and every house got like a billion PSI straight to their water meters and most of my neighbors had said meters literally blown off their walls and houses flooded.

I fortunately was unscathed but only because (I think) about a month ago I had everything up to my meter replaced and per local code all those fittings are flared and threaded as opposed to soldered.

I'll post the local news clip whenever it goes up

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

cr0y posted:

:siren: LOCAL BREAKING NEWS: WATER EDITION :siren:

I look outside this morning after I woke up to the local news channel pointing a camera down my street and water authority trucks and news trucks swarming everywhere.

I walk outside and the anchor asks me "hi sir were you affected as well?" And I'm like " :confused: "

Apparently something happened with the water main on my street and every house got like a billion PSI straight to their water meters and most of my neighbors had said meters literally blown off their walls and houses flooded.

I fortunately was unscathed but only because (I think) about a month ago I had everything up to my meter replaced and per local code all those fittings are flared and threaded as opposed to soldered.

I'll post the local news clip whenever it goes up

So did your flared fittings blow out under the pressure and that saved you? Or did they actually hold the pressure completely?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So what I'm hearing is you want a flared base on pretty much everything.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

So did your flared fittings blow out under the pressure and that saved you? Or did they actually hold the pressure completely?

I didn't have any damage whatsoever. I have flared and threaded fittings all the way up to my PRV. I'm assuming they can take a hell of a lot more pressure than a soldered connection.

I have this chonky boy on my main now and I thought I was being obsessive anytime I turned off my water/hot water tank when I left my house for more than a day or so but nope gonna keep up with that habit. Also probably gonna buy a curb key so I can turn poo poo off at the street in an emergency. Legality be damned.

A house a couple units up from me recently sold and I'm pretty sure it's currently sitting empty and flooding if I had to guess.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 6, 2023

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Your fittings took the pressure long enough, once all your neighbor's weaker poo poo blew the pressure would have presumably been relieved enough for you to escape unscathed.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

In my case the Gary is the lovely contractors the flipper hired. drat it

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Your fittings took the pressure long enough, once all your neighbor's weaker poo poo blew the pressure would have presumably been relieved enough for you to escape unscathed.

So a "you don't have to outrun the bear" situation. I wonder if the water authority would appreciate having a pressure relief valve installed upstream of the meter. Probably not.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Guy Axlerod posted:

So a "you don't have to outrun the bear" situation. I wonder if the water authority would appreciate having a pressure relief valve installed upstream of the meter. Probably not.

If I was more handy with a pipe cutter and blowtorch I would put one right after my meter and plumb it to a drain line that just dumps outside somewhere or something.

I have an outside spigot before my PRV and I put a meter on it occasionally throughout the past year and my street sits at about 160 psi. I have no idea what point soldered copper joints blow but apparently it's north of that somewhere.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

At least it was water and not an improperly installed valve failing and sending 10x the normal pressure to your natural gas line and blowing up your neighborhood.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

A similar thing happened in Merrimack Valley, MA in 2018. They abandoned a gas line that had the pressure sensor for a pump station in it, and the pump thought the line was dropping in pressure so pumped the gas up to max and blew up a ton of people's homes.

These kinds of stories make me glad my water meter is at the street and my gas meter has its own regulator. I feel a little bit protected from catastrophic overpressure events.

E: I also have pop-up sewer clean out plugs so if the sewer backs up my yard gets flooded with poo poo and not my house.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 6, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In the 2011 San Bruno, California explosion, PG&E had installed pipes made by welding bits of other pipes together. One of them exploded and killed eight people. Subsequently PG&E had to do a massive amount of work in all the other suburbs where they had used this technique.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Bruno_pipeline_explosion

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The local gas company used a bunch of "Driscopipe" in their lines, which apparently has a habit of degrading rapidly in hot, dry climates.

I'm in Arizona.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

The local gas company used a bunch of "Driscopipe" in their lines, which apparently has a habit of degrading rapidly in hot, dry climates.

I'm in Arizona.

You should be fine then.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

What would the hivemind recommend if someone need to, say, clean a couple years of accumulated bacon spatter off of a ceiling? The plan is to hop up there on a ladder and magic eraser until either it's gone or my neck hurts too much to continue.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Poldarn posted:

What would the hivemind recommend if someone need to, say, clean a couple years of accumulated bacon spatter off of a ceiling? The plan is to hop up there on a ladder and magic eraser until either it's gone or my neck hurts too much to continue.

Put the magic eraser on a long stick instead?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Poldarn posted:

An absorbent towel and a heat gun/hair dryer?

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Poldarn posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trisodium_phosphate

This stuff can be hard to find locally because it's a wonderful source of algae bloom promoting phosphates but it will dissolve caked on grease and oils like nothing else. Use with appropriate eye protection and gloves especially on a ceiling.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TSP in hot water and lots of clean rags changed out frequently is absolutely the correct answer.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Saturate it in Awesome Orange for at least ten minutes. This will require multiple re-sprays.

Scrub it with a Scotchbrite pad.

More Awesome Orange

Possibly a new pad if the first one is choked.

More Awesome Orange

Old towel to wipe down.

Consider a TSP wipe-down if necessary.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

skybolt_1 posted:

This stuff can be hard to find locally because it's a wonderful source of algae bloom promoting phosphates but it will dissolve caked on grease and oils like nothing else. Use with appropriate eye protection and gloves especially on a ceiling.

On a ceiling I'd probably wear some sort of mask as well, you really don't want it dripping into your mouth/nose

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Poldarn posted:

You ever heard of this thing called Paint?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
$7200 later I have A/C again. And a significantly more efficient, quieter system. Guy showed up at 4:30 and worked until 9:30.

Price seems pretty good especially since my next reputable quote was $2000 higher and he’s been doing it for >20 yrs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I like simple green personally but it's up to you on your preferred "why does this room always smell like ____ ?"

Tangentially related but never ever eat movie theater popcorn

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

SpartanIvy posted:

A similar thing happened in Merrimack Valley, MA in 2018. They abandoned a gas line that had the pressure sensor for a pump station in it, and the pump thought the line was dropping in pressure so pumped the gas up to max and blew up a ton of people's homes.

These kinds of stories make me glad my water meter is at the street and my gas meter has its own regulator. I feel a little bit protected from catastrophic overpressure events.

A family friend was affected by this. He heard a noise from his basement and went down to find his water heater pilot light looking more like a blowtorch. Fortunately he caught it in time and was able to shut off his gas before any damage occurred.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

cr0y posted:

Also probably gonna buy a curb key so I can turn poo poo off at the street in an emergency. Legality be damned.
I was able to use an adjustment crescent wrench no problem.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

You ever heard of this thing called Paint?

I don't want to work that hard

devicenull posted:

On a ceiling I'd probably wear some sort of mask as well, you really don't want it dripping into your mouth/nose

I nod sagely, as if this had always been something I'd considered.

Muir posted:

Put the magic eraser on a long stick instead?

skybolt_1 posted:

PainterofCrap posted:

Saturate it in Awesome Orange for at least ten minutes. This will require multiple re-sprays.

Scrub it with a Scotchbrite pad.

More Awesome Orange

Possibly a new pad if the first one is choked.

More Awesome Orange

Old towel to wipe down.

Consider a TSP wipe-down if necessary.

Thanks everyone!

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

One AC stopped cooling. Sigh. Let’s find out much this will cost.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

spf3million posted:

I was able to use an adjustment crescent wrench no problem.

I'm in Pittsburgh so the actual valve is about 4 feet down, I can take the cap off the pipe no problem but need something to reach. A curb key is just a half inch socket on a long pipe with a T at the top.

Amazon link
Orbit 53034 Steel Curb Valve Key, 5' https://a.co/d/dSMedPe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Upgrade posted:

One AC stopped cooling. Sigh. Let’s find out much this will cost.

Only $230 hurray