Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

A lot of roof rack shops (e.g. Rack and Road out west) will rent a rooftop cargo box if you just need it for a couple days before the next big REI coupon.

Just checked the rates, $30-50 per day. That's somewhere between the break even point and costing more.

The major concern I think right now is cleaning my garage and storing the thing when not being used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

These posts made me realize I've pretty much never paid full price at REI. Between the outlet, various sales and member promos my current dividend balance is $0.00.

Same. When I was younger and first buying a lot of gear (also broke) I'd buy stuff all the time from their garage sales and the outlet.

I still use my car camping tent, stove, chairs, etc that I bought almost 10 years ago now from garage sales. All of its still holding up really well.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

The major concern I think right now is cleaning my garage and storing the thing when not being used.

You gotta think in 3D, just get some rope and eye bolts and pulleys and webbing

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

My huge tent arrived and we took it camping. It did not disappoint.

It's a tremendously huge space that let's you really stretch out. The nearly vertical walls and high ceiling let you get changed anywhere in the tent. You have to duck a little bit to get in the zip doors. While the square footage is nice I'm also thinking of ways to take advantage of the height. The tent has some places to tie a rope down the center of the tent from door is door as well as a couple of cubby pockets up high. So was thinking of some verticle organization kind of thing.

Sets up in under 15 minutes then needs some tweaks. Packs away even faster into a duffle and weighs around 26 lbs.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That looks like a good dog.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that tent looks kickass. dog too

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I really can't justify buying that tent for me, my wife, and our young daughter when I have a perfectly good 4p Kelty, but I want it. It looks awesome. The Kelty is fine but I want more room and I really hate only having one door. One of these days I'm going to snap and impulse buy it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

withak posted:

That looks like a good dog.
yeah merlins alright

https://i.imgur.com/apIz1Zq.mp4

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 22, 2023

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

numberoneposter posted:

It's a tremendously huge space that let's you really stretch out. The nearly vertical walls and high ceiling let you get changed anywhere in the tent. You have to duck a little bit to get in the zip doors. While the square footage is nice I'm also thinking of ways to take advantage of the height. The tent has some places to tie a rope down the center of the tent from door is door as well as a couple of cubby pockets up high. So was thinking of some verticle organization kind of thing.

Sets up in under 15 minutes then needs some tweaks. Packs away even faster into a duffle and weighs around 26 lbs.

I got a 6p Big Agnes and I'm assuming you just kind of folded-ish that thing like I had to with mine? Seems impossible to be tidy when packing down.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

Man it’s nice to see a big rear end tent with an actual decent rain fly instead of those goofy rear end little hats. What’s the brand on this again? My old big tent has sun rot and is a bitch to put up.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure it's this one: https://www.rei.com/product/169457/nemo-wagontop-6-tent

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As an added bonus it looks like you could park a toyota matrix in too.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

numberoneposter posted:

I have the same tent (4p) and it's great! Would highly recommend getting a picnic blanket and putting it in the little front vestibule area - makes it into a a really nice sheltered shoe-donning zone.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Big rear end tent crew represent! If I fully set up my car camping tent it works out to 25m2 or nearly 270 square foot of ground coverage.
Me, my wife, my daughter and two sets of grandparents all fit comfortably.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
GF and I want a new hiking/LARP/foraging tent with enough space and good ventilation. We're huge Robens heads and so right now we're looking hard at the Goshawk 4, maybe an Explorer. Which would you guys choose? And are there other good tents in the same price range or cheaper we're overlooking? We're in Scandinavia, which may impact which brands we can realistically import. Thanks a lot!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hell yeah, red dogs

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

He's a pitbull malamute if you believe it, with dashes of rottweiler and german shepherd.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Red dogs always look like they are up for a good time.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Merlin has been color swatched as "basket weave."

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tias posted:

GF and I want a new hiking/LARP/foraging tent with enough space and good ventilation. We're huge Robens heads and so right now we're looking hard at the Goshawk 4, maybe an Explorer. Which would you guys choose? And are there other good tents in the same price range or cheaper we're overlooking? We're in Scandinavia, which may impact which brands we can realistically import. Thanks a lot!

Anyone?

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I have been looking at these two. Have not tried them out, but from youtube and other reviews they seem well regarded.

https://www.fjallraven.com/uk/en-gb/bags-gear/tents-sleeping-bags/tents/abisko-lite-2

https://hilleberg.com/deu/zelt/red-label-zelte/nallo-3/

No need for customs fees.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Can confirm that the Nallo is a great tent (I have the 4GT) but it's also twice the target price.

Assuming you read Norwegian I find fjellforum.no often has good reviews of Scandinavian brands, which can be hard to find otherwise.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 1, 2023

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Got a trekking trip to Nepal booked later this year, so looking at gear we need that I don’t have. I’ve never needed trekking poles or water treatment before so starting there.

12 day trek up to Annapurna base camp. For water treatment, the only guidance so far from the company is that it needs to work in potentially freezing temps. Can we just get away with the tablets or should I be looking at filtration too?

Trekking poles - unlikely to be using them a lot other than this trip so I’m not super keen on spending a tonne of money. Am I going to hate my choices if I get some of the ~£40 options from Amazon or Alpkit?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Poles are good use them more imo

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Trekking poles - unlikely to be using them a lot other than this trip so I’m not super keen on spending a tonne of money. Am I going to hate my choices if I get some of the ~£40 options from Amazon or Alpkit?
I got a pair of dirt cheap collapsible ones from amazon so I can just take one in my pack and only use it when I need it, and it's been working fine although it's not as nice as some of the fancier ones

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Poles come into their own in wet conditions and especially when going downhill. Save your knees and quads a lot of grief using them, not to mention the increased safety of having a reduced chance of a tumble. The cheap Costco or Amazon ones are fine. Used, good quality ones can usually be had pretty cheap on local classifieds if you want less weight and a better build quality

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Poles are good in the wet too. Check depth before you step in it! And when bushwhacking, poke for trip hazards. They're also good if someone twists an ankle, I helped a guy a couple months back who was limping back to the trailhead and a pole allowed him to be a little more stable.

I don't like using them much myself, it's more crap to haul. If the trail is well groomed they probably stay in the car. But they definitely have benefits.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Future you will thank present you for the functioning knees if you use trekking poles going downhill.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

12 day trek up to Annapurna base camp. For water treatment, the only guidance so far from the company is that it needs to work in potentially freezing temps. Can we just get away with the tablets or should I be looking at filtration too?

AquaMira tabs and the like loose effectiveness in freezing temps and take way longer. At freezing temperatures though you also have to worry about a hollow tube or ceramic filter freezing.

If it was me I’d probably opt for a hollow tube style filter, one small enough to pocket and keep warm, while also bringing the cleaning syringe to back flush out glacial silt. You can still pack a few iodine tabs too for backup, and of course there’s always boiling as a last ditch method.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Got a trekking trip to Nepal booked later this year, so looking at gear we need that I don’t have. I’ve never needed trekking poles or water treatment before so starting there.

GrayL Geopress can handle a few freezes, they recommend ways to keep it from doing so though as after 3 you need to toss it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Plan on sleeping w your water filter so it doesn’t freeze. May want to bring a pee bottle for quality of life too (not having to get out of your tent in the cold and use as a personal heater until the heat runs out).

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i sleep in a big water treatment facility with my wife

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

you can have a few gulps of lake water while you swim, as a treat

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Back on my biennial search for a windbreaker I can leave in my car's trunk for emergencies because microclimates means I can get up to a ten degree swing with half-an-hour's drive, again.

The REI Co-op Essential Rain Jacket that I was using was cheap and cheerful, but even it too, fell prey to that problem that I have with these stupid 1.5 layer dealies where the inside "rots" and flakes off the inside with enough time in the trunk of my car.

Have we finally fixed this problem yet, or are we just resigned to put microplastics in our brains?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Waxed canvas chore coat? I made some imitation Greenland wax and waxed a cheap one myself. If you just need a backup light layer that can take a bit of rain, that ought to work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The REI flash jacket has served me well for a few years now, it has no laminate at all. It's just a wind resistant layer of nylon and it's my default outer layer in all four seasons as long as there's no precipitation.

Absolutely no rain protection, it wets through almost instantly, but that's not what I bought it for.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Anything made with plastic-y materials is gonna rot to hell. You're gonna want natural fibers like cotton or wool. I vote for throwing a cheap cotton hoodie in the trunk. Rain protection is gonna suck, but at least it won't fall apart?

Also I'm willing to bet that a wax coating will rapidly degrade the same as synthetic materials, but maybe I'm wrong on that one.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Dick Burglar posted:

Anything made with plastic-y materials is gonna rot to hell. You're gonna want natural fibers like cotton or wool. I vote for throwing a cheap cotton hoodie in the trunk. Rain protection is gonna suck, but at least it won't fall apart?

Also I'm willing to bet that a wax coating will rapidly degrade the same as synthetic materials, but maybe I'm wrong on that one.

When I waxed mine I hit it with a heat gun, so the wax melts into the fibers. It doesn't really go anywhere if the garment is just sitting around.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Back on my biennial search for a windbreaker I can leave in my car's trunk for emergencies because microclimates means I can get up to a ten degree swing with half-an-hour's drive, again.

The REI Co-op Essential Rain Jacket that I was using was cheap and cheerful, but even it too, fell prey to that problem that I have with these stupid 1.5 layer dealies where the inside "rots" and flakes off the inside with enough time in the trunk of my car.

Have we finally fixed this problem yet, or are we just resigned to put microplastics in our brains?

Dont use any windbreaker thats anything but a single layer. Patagonia Houdini, Warbonnet Stash Jacket, etc all work pretty well.

Basically use the zipper, and/or pit zips to vent as necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

You really should be spending at least $300 to get a decent technical windbreaker to leave in your car