Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Luigi Thirty posted:

Davey Martinez trying to prevent all fun

https://theathletic.com/4669657/2023/07/06/david-martinez-elly-de-la-cruz-bat-inspection/?source=user_shared_article

Apparently he had some swing metrics sensor stuck to his bat. Martinez questioned it, but it’s legal. The umps shrugged and made him take it off for an at-bat (a K), then he put it back on and hit a dinger. He pointed to the sensor, and something something unwritten rules.

lmao piss off davey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

With all the rumblings of Bryce trying to learn 1B, I have a thought. What seems easier for an MLBer, learning a new position or learning to throw with your other arm? Bryce throws righty, but bats lefty so he has to have some arm strength in his left already

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Learning a new position has gotta be a lot easier

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Popete posted:

That's actually pretty weird they let him swing a bat with a sensor on it, I'd have assumed that was illegal. Looks like a Blast Motion sensor.

Apparently it’s just the shell:

"AP posted:

Umpires reviewed the legality of the knob cover with the league office and informed De La Cruz he was allowed to put it back on his bat for his second at-bat in the third.

“It’s something that we use in spring training," De La Cruz said through a translator. "It’s just a sensor that we use but there it’s just the plastic that covers the bat. There’s nothing else besides that. I started using it back in 2021. It just felt more comfortable using that and from there on out I asked for more of those plastic shells.”

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Learning a new position has gotta be a lot easier

Yeah, pretty much every major league player has played multiple positions at some point. Outfield to 1B isn't going to be totally foreign. Learning to throw ambidextrously as an adult would take a ton of effort.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

With all the rumblings of Bryce trying to learn 1B, I have a thought. What seems easier for an MLBer, learning a new position or learning to throw with your other arm? Bryce throws righty, but bats lefty so he has to have some arm strength in his left already

I don’t think it’s as simple as clicking Train Weaker Foot in the training menu. OF/1B isn’t that uncommon.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
baseball is loving hilarious. lmao the NL Central and the AL Central. lmao that the Marlins have stolen the devil magic from the Cardinals.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I really dislike the AllStar game being in the middle of the season, when a lot of good players aren't going to be able to participate.

Ohtani was made for the AllStar Game and HRD. But he just had his first hitless three game streak, his throwing hand is a mess, and he needs rest. Of course he isn't going to pitch or hit in the derby.

It's early, but there are a poo poo ton of other great players who should participate in a perfect world. But if I was chasing a contract, I wouldn't be using up my pitches or stamina in a midseason exhibition.

Also, why are the Polar Bear and J-Rod paired in the first round of the Derby? Those are two of the guys who would probably put on the biggest show throughout the competition.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Captain Log posted:

Also, why are the Polar Bear and J-Rod paired in the first round of the Derby? Those are two of the guys who would probably put on the biggest show throughout the competition.

Seeding is based on current HR totals at the time the field is set iirc

Also the game is in the middle of the season to try and drive casual fan interest for the second half of the season I would assume.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

We’re like 8 years into this HRD format and they still haven’t figured out that regular season home run totals are not a good way to seed guys for this

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Captain Log posted:

I really dislike the AllStar game being in the middle of the season, when a lot of good players aren't going to be able to participate.

Ohtani was made for the AllStar Game and HRD. But he just had his first hitless three game streak, his throwing hand is a mess, and he needs rest. Of course he isn't going to pitch or hit in the derby.

It's early, but there are a poo poo ton of other great players who should participate in a perfect world. But if I was chasing a contract, I wouldn't be using up my pitches or stamina in a midseason exhibition.

All Star games aren't a super huge draw anymore, but they're an even worse draw if you have it after the season. Look at the Pro Bowl, absolutely no one gives a poo poo about that, and part of the reason is that for a long time it happened after the Super Bowl. Fans check out after the championship, and a fair amount check out once the playoffs hit and their team isn't in it. At least at this point in the season, no one is eliminated yet and fans are still interested. Plus, it's the only thing on. Baseball waits until November and it has to compete against every other major sport to draw eyeballs to a game that doesn't matter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's giving everyone a week off in the middle of the season, the ASG is just counterprogramming to avoid a week of no baseball. Dunno if that's how it got started but now it lets all the teams reset their rotations and bullpens, get guys back from injury, etc.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

We’re like 8 years into this HRD format and they still haven’t figured out that regular season home run totals are not a good way to seed guys for this

I get them not wanting to be accused of media bias in the "seeding" so it's certainly the most fair way to do it if you're insistent on doing a full 8 man bracket but your idea from earlier is still better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/markappel26/status/1676719303553318915

Appel is going to be insanely good next year

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

cubspost
https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1676788618487119875?t=isoH3GT9sBS2Vb6qC0j-2g&s=19

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/markappel26/status/1676719303553318915

Appel is going to be insanely good next year

He has to make a doctor say "Funky butt-loving" when he gets it off before I can pay too much attention.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

It's the "The Cubbies Are Turning A Corner" part of the year, the time when we talk about how Nobody wants to play These Cubs right now.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Captain Log posted:

This made me consider having it in spring training, akin to the WBC. You would have the Allstars from the prior year (picked in Sep or Nov?), which could be particularly fun if they've changed teams (wear the old team's cap, and get presented with your new cap when you exit the game). Somebody who had retired would get to come back for it and have a nice send-off moment (maybe invite all retiring players?). And you could do a lot to remind people of where the last season ended and what the coming season could entail, like presenting player of the month awards from the year before. Since it's happening during an exhibition time already, it would feel relatively more competitive than the current AS game, and injuries would feel the same as any other spring training injury. You'd still have a midseason break, it would just be pure rest for everyone. Teams would absolutely hate the disruption to spring training, though, but the latest WBC may have changed the game a little on this aspect. Also this isn't a serious suggestion, it would never happen.

The real problem isn't when it happens, though. It's that exhibition games are very costly when something bad does happen, and no matter when you place it, nobody is going to compete at anything approaching full effort. Your frustration isn't with it being in the middle of the season, it's that Ohtani doesn't really get to showcase himself. Well, he does that every drat day in the regular season, while the all-star game doesn't really do that part of things all that well, regardless of when you place it.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

IcePhoenix posted:

Five years without a CGSHO and then 2 in as many weeks lol

Truly amazing, which is now another category they're at the top of the league in

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

elentar posted:

bring up that minor league kid who hit one over 500 feet

The Angels already called Jo Adell back up, so there's no reason he can't be included.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Angels are very likely (imo) going to start the second half under .500 with 6 starters on the IL. Moreno is going to refuse to trade Ohtani and then sell the team in the off season after he walks. The ultimate bust out.

gently caress I hate him so much

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gorman Thomas posted:

Angels are very likely (imo) going to start the second half under .500 with 6 starters on the IL. Moreno is going to refuse to trade Ohtani and then sell the team in the off season after he walks. The ultimate bust out.

gently caress I hate him so much

He passed up on a $2.5bn offer last year, he ain't selling.

The Astros are going to start the second half with 4-6 starters, including half the loving rotation, on the IL and are two games back of the Rangers for the divisional lead. I can't believe they are using Will Smith as a closer.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Inspector_666 posted:

The Angels already called Jo Adell back up, so there's no reason he can't be included.

seriously the HR Derby should be as ludicrous as possible, doctor the balls to make them go farther, who cares

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

elentar posted:

seriously the HR Derby should be as ludicrous as possible, doctor the balls to make them go farther, who cares

Remembering when they didn't use the humidifier for the derby baseballs when the asg was in Colorado a couple years ago. That was so good.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Trevor Bauer sued Molly Knight for defamation and after 18 months of making her life hell directly and indirectly finally dropped the case, tweet with her statement here: https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/1676974654702120961?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

rich people are doing this a lot more of course but it’s obviously particularly disgusting in this case

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
There's obviously some dudes I'd like to see in the HRD that aren't there, but I think it's a good lineup. Lot of young, cool guys.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I don’t really get the complaints. I wish it had a bit more star power and maybe Elly or Jordan Walker but it’s a fun lineup.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Even if the stars/big home run hitters weren't injured (Judge, Ohtani, Yordan, etc.) some of them would decline to participate because of fear of messing up their swing.

Alonso gonna win again anyway...that dude is made for the HRD.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

zoux posted:

The Astros are going to start the second half with 4-6 starters, including half the loving rotation, on the IL and are two games back of the Rangers for the divisional lead. I can't believe they are using Will Smith as a closer.

Me either, but for a good month plus he was the only guy getting outs. I sure wasn't expecting both Jose Leclerc and Jonathan Hernandez to be completely loving useless though. There's no way they don't pick up at least one more back end guy.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I don’t really get the complaints. I wish it had a bit more star power and maybe Elly or Jordan Walker but it’s a fun lineup.

Elly was invited but declined.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Davey Martinez trying to prevent all fun

https://theathletic.com/4669657/2023/07/06/david-martinez-elly-de-la-cruz-bat-inspection/?source=user_shared_article

Apparently he had some swing metrics sensor stuck to his bat. Martinez questioned it, but it’s legal. The umps shrugged and made him take it off for an at-bat (a K), then he put it back on and hit a dinger. He pointed to the sensor, and something something unwritten rules.

As much as I think managers have been extra whiny this season I gotta say if someone on the other team had a plastic thing on his bat I’d probably be all “wait, is that allowed?” too.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Bandire posted:

Me either, but for a good month plus he was the only guy getting outs. I sure wasn't expecting both Jose Leclerc and Jonathan Hernandez to be completely loving useless though. There's no way they don't pick up at least one more back end guy.

Trade deadline gonna be nuts. As much as I dislike the guy the Rangers did a solid getting Chapman so early

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

STAC Goat posted:

As much as I think managers have been extra whiny this season I gotta say if someone on the other team had a plastic thing on his bat I’d probably be all “wait, is that allowed?” too.

I don't think that's the part people took issue with

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A tale of two As

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I get it. But I mean… legitimately weird thing I’ve never seen or heard of before that seems like it might be illegal and then the player making a show of mocking that and the manager being pretty low key salty about it. I dunno. Feels like a less than “I’m mad someone had fun” situation. I dunno. It’s not important. I guess I’m just sympathetic to what started it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

hmm that chart says the Jays are good and well

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Cubs and the Marlins being so close to each other and yet the Marlins record (51-37) is far better than the Cubs (40-45) is a good summation of this season. Cubs lose close games and Marlins win them.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah I get it. But I mean… legitimately weird thing I’ve never seen or heard of before that seems like it might be illegal and then the player making a show of mocking that and the manager being pretty low key salty about it. I dunno. Feels like a less than “I’m mad someone had fun” situation. I dunno. It’s not important. I guess I’m just sympathetic to what started it.

I get where you're coming from, but

“They checked it and when they came back and told me, ‘Hey, it’s legal,’ it was all good,” Martinez said. “It was over. It was done with. … I’m not going to make a big deal about it.”

He DID make a big deal about, even if he ultimately accepted it as being legal. He flagged something, and then wanted it be done when he was done with it. Why doesn't the player get to respond in some form? Why is it over when Martinez has determined it is? If he really wanted it to be over, then he didn't need to make any comment about the post-HR antics, and should have just taken the lumps/competitive ribbing.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

STAC Goat posted:

Seems weird to have suddenly noticed it for the first time in the middle of the series, as opposed to in either of the two games prior or in the advance scouting you've surely done on the electric opposing star player :shrug:

It's clearly "the antics" Davey takes issue with, and I suppose I'm begrudgingly grateful he decided to have his temper tantrum about it with the umps rather going back to his old ways and having his pitchers try to injure the guy like he did with Freeman a couple years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s probably just my general dislike for people being assholes. And if one team pulls some poo poo and the other team hits back. You know, whatever. You asked for it. But in this case Martinez’ concern feels legitimate and asking the umps about it seems like the appropriate action? So Elly’s taunting feels kinda dickish? Yeah Martinez’ post game comments are also unnecessary but like he’s gotta address the first part of it so I get why he’s kind of salty about the latter.

I dunno. It’s dumb. It doesn’t cloud my view of Elly or anything. I still think managers have been especially Karenish this season. I’m just a soft rear end dude.