Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Kirk getting really into Spock giving him a back massage and then realizing it’s his yeoman and getting embarrassed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion posted:

Kirk getting really into Spock giving him a back massage and then realizing it’s his yeoman and getting embarrassed

The joke that launched a thousand ships

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

skasion posted:

Dunno where that slash community came from with scenes like that

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This is most disturbing.

About five hours ago, I was watching Paramount+ using the Amazon app on my blu-ray player. And had been doing so for several days.

I went to sleep for a while and now I’ve come back to watch more DS9, and suddenly it says “This device doesn’t support a subscription to Paramount+. Subscribers can still watch this title by using another device.”

The Amazon app on my phone will still play it, as well my desktop computer, but the player won’t.

What in the gently caress

e: God drat it, I tried the other blu-ray player and it says the same thing

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 6, 2023

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bashir handing Dax a PADD that says "Go Away"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DaveWoo posted:

Bashir handing Dax a PADD that says "Go Away"

This whole scene is great, maybe one of my favorite Dax moments. she’s so obviously trying to cockblock him and you think he has successfully fended her off, but then she delivers a fatal parting shot.

Man “Explorers” is good. Sisko trolling Dukat. O’Brien telling Kira she sounds like a Romulan. O’Brien and Bashir bawling Jerusalem and discussing their love. Hammock time (yo!). Dukat fuming as he congratulates Sisko. Classic of DS9 for me

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
hammock time

yo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also the rise of the Goatee

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I like the rare hair + goatee combo Sisko has at the end of season 3

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

MrMojok posted:

This is most disturbing.

About five hours ago, I was watching Paramount+ using the Amazon app on my blu-ray player. And had been doing so for several days.

I went to sleep for a while and now I’ve come back to watch more DS9, and suddenly it says “This device doesn’t support a subscription to Paramount+. Subscribers can still watch this title by using another device.”

The Amazon app on my phone will still play it, as well my desktop computer, but the player won’t.

What in the gently caress

e: God drat it, I tried the other blu-ray player and it says the same thing

you should have known this was coming

insert two slips of gold pressed latinum into the slot on the side of your device to continue

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Best gag that still makes me laugh:

Deana Troi, recording her personal log: My mother is aboard.

Jean-Luc Picard shown nervously peeking up and down the corridor.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Filox posted:

Best gag that still makes me laugh:

Deana Troi, recording her personal log: My mother is aboard.

Jean-Luc Picard shown nervously peeking up and down the corridor.

And then that episode turns out to be really really sad:cry:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

Yeah Gowron doing Gowron eyes at a spreadsheet is a great sight gag

What's y'all's favorite (non-Lower Decks) Star Trek gag?

Mine is probably Barclay giving a bravura rehearsal performance in Nth Degree to a fully weeping Beverly Crusher. Or any of the Dukat stuff from Civil Defense.

"Coffee, black." / Make it yourself. :jerkbag: never fails to get a laugh out of me. Especially that look Janeway gives the replicator like she's gonna start ripping wires out of it before Neelix tells her what's going on.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
There's a great DS9 bit where the crew is on the bridge of the Sao Paulo and as everyone adjourns the discussion and leaves, you can hear Bashir muttering to O'Brien "I hate the carpet. I do."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

"'Quark, I had to use parts of your disruptor pistol to fix the replicator, will return them soon. Rom.'"

"I will kill him!"

"With what?" :smug:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
worf sheepishly peeking around the corner in "parallels" when troi tells him to sit down never fails to get a laugh out of me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Timby posted:

"'Quark, I had to use parts of your disruptor pistol to fix the replicator, will return them soon. Rom.'"

"I will kill him!"

"With what?" :smug:

"you're going to hit him with a box?"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“What a handsome race.”

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beeftweeter posted:

"you're going to hit him with a box?"

"You're going to hit them with a box?"

"No, this is my disruptor pistol. The one I used to carry in the old days when I was serving on that Ferengi freighter."

"I thought you were the ship's cook."

"That's right. And every member of that crew thought he was a food critic. If the Klingons try to get through these doors, I'll be ready for them."

(Then the exchange I quoted happened.)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Timby posted:

"You're going to hit them with a box?"

"No, this is my disruptor pistol. The one I used to carry in the old days when I was serving on that Ferengi freighter."

"I thought you were the ship's cook."

"That's right. And every member of that crew thought he was a food critic. If the Klingons try to get through these doors, I'll be ready for them."

(Then the exchange I quoted happened.)

oh yeah i know, the whole thing is gold, that line cracks me up too. any of odo's exchanges with quark when he acts like a tough guy do, because odo actually is a tough guy

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

MrMojok posted:

DS9 is really, really rich IMO. More so than anything that came before. Maybe more so than anything that came after. And I’m a TOS homer.

A key part of the DS9 magic for me that I don't hear remarked on that often is more frequent use of recurring guest stars. Dukat, Kai Winn, Weyoun, Garak, Martok, Kasidy, Nog, etc feel like so much more of a substantial part of the show than anyone except Guinan gets to be on TNG. Sisko's character in particular is hugely enhanced by his longterm rivalry with Dukat. There are a lot of TNG episodes with killer guest stars where at the end I'm like "boy, that was great. I wish that character was actually part of the show."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Randallteal posted:

A key part of the DS9 magic for me that I don't hear remarked on that often is more frequent use of recurring guest stars. Dukat, Kai Winn, Weyoun, Garak, Martok, Kasidy, Nog, etc feel like so much more of a substantial part of the show than anyone except Guinan gets to be on TNG. Sisko's character in particular is hugely enhanced by his longterm rivalry with Dukat. There are a lot of TNG episodes with killer guest stars where at the end I'm like "boy, that was great. I wish that character was actually part of the show."

It's a testament to the quality of both the casting and the writing that some characters like Dukat, Garak and Weyoun feel like such bigger presences in the show than they actually are. Dukat only appears in 35 episodes, Garak in 33 (and only four times in the first two seasons), Weyoun in 24.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Timby posted:

It's a testament to the quality of both the casting and the writing that some characters like Dukat, Garak and Weyoun feel like such bigger presences in the show than they actually are. Dukat only appears in 35 episodes, Garak in 33 (and only four times in the first two seasons), Weyoun in 24.

Totally. Even just twenty or thirty episodes is enough that you feel like they could appear in any episode, though. It's also nice that they aren't always just deployed for finales / two-parters and that the villains more or less overlap in their time on the show (instead of following one-another in a more rigid arc format like Kai Winn -> Dukat -> Weyoun / Damar where the previous arc's villains get yeeted out of the show at the end.)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Randallteal posted:

Totally. Even just twenty or thirty episodes is enough that you feel like they could appear in any episode, though. It's also nice that they aren't always just deployed for finales / two-parters and that the villains more or less overlap in their time on the show (instead of following one-another in a more rigid arc format like Kai Winn -> Dukat -> Weyoun / Damar where the previous arc's villains get yeeted out of the show at the end.)

It's always fun when the more minor villains get a meeting with a more major one and get the win in that altercation, like when Weyoun and Kai Winn have that little moment of "I have a feeling we are far more alike than you initially thought." *Winn grabs his ear, gives him a condescending look* "No, we're not. :)"

She's just so infuriatingly passive aggressive and he gets the (Liquidator) Brunt( FCA )of it and it's so much fun.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Timby posted:

It's also impressive how willing they were to allow A-stories to be carried by secondary cast members. The Magnificent Ferengi gets a whole crew beyond just Quark/Shimmerman. Odo has a big role in the Improbable Cause / Die is Cast two parter, but Robinson shoulders a big load. Robinson also basically monologues the entirety of The Wire. Grilka/Mary Kay Adams dominates House of Quark. Alaimo, Fletcher and Combs always turn it up when they're in an episode. Martok/Hertzler is terrific in Once More Unto the Breach. The producers/directors put a lot of trust in them, deservedly.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Randallteal posted:

Barclay and Ro hit a similar point, but for the most part you're right. DS9 has a lot of people who you believe are around the station and constant even if they're not on the episode. TNG doesn't really give you many people on the ship who feel consistently around outside the main cast.

Although Nog often isn't really on the station, and I feel like you don't get much of a sense of Jake having any presence.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MrMojok posted:

I think now my Ferengi-hatred came from the TNG episodes, where I do not think they were portrayed in quite the same way.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MrMojok posted:

Haha, yeah. The whole episode was glorious. I am now watching “Bar Exam”

I think now my Ferengi-hatred came from the TNG episodes, where I do not think they were portrayed in quite the same way. I used to get tired of the ear-as-erogenous-zones jokes.

DS9 is really, really rich IMO. More so than anything that came before. Maybe more so than anything that came after. And I’m a TOS homer.

At least the early TNG Ferengi-episodes were still trying to do that "Ferengi are the new Klingons"-angle that really didn't take off at any point. But Gene's vision and all that, before reinventing them as what they were in DS9.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The basic idea of the Ferengi as villains isn't even bad it's just all the details Gene wanted that made them complete jokes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TNG - The Ferengi are anti-semetic carictures (by accident??)
DS9 - Yes, the Ferengi were anti-semetic carictures, so we're going to cast Jews for every single major character and make them all fascinating multi-facted characters you love

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I am *still* laughing about House of Quark, the next day.

What is the episode quoted above, the bit with the phaser/replicator?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrMojok posted:

The second hour of Way of the Warrior, the season 4 premiere.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eimi posted:

The basic idea of the Ferengi as villains isn't even bad it's just all the details Gene wanted that made them complete jokes.

Yeah the idea of them as villains makes total sense. Who better to be the Federation's enemies than 1980s Wall Street aliens? But the execution, uh.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MrMojok posted:

I am *still* laughing about House of Quark, the next day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ll4NqVPcc

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Knee licks

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

A Piece of the Action

Kirk has just had Scotty trace a phone call and beam Jojo to Bela Oxmyx's place. Oxmyx is duly impressed:

Oxmyx: "Hey, Captain, that ain't bad!"
Kirk: "Yeah!"
Spock: "I would advise youse to keep dialin', Oxmyx."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I love Gangster Planet

Q Continuum should've been All Gangsters, a deeper cosmic truth that Earth's foremost sage Al Capone was briefly in touch with

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

No Dignity posted:

TNG - The Ferengi are anti-semetic carictures (by accident??)
DS9 - Yes, the Ferengi were anti-semetic carictures, so we're going to cast Jews for every single major character and make them all fascinating multi-facted characters you love

Armin Shimerman played a couple of the TNG Ferengi, including the first onscreen Ferengi (much like how Marc Alaimo was the first onscreen Cardassian), and he's said that he was grateful for the opportunity to flesh out the Ferengi as something more. Rom's actor was a few TNG Ferengi as well.

The makeup, writing, and direction made a lot of differences.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the idea of them as villains makes total sense. Who better to be the Federation's enemies than 1980s Wall Street aliens? But the execution, uh.

To be honest, there's so many weird details added onto them early on in TNG, that the whole capitalist element can be easy to lose, even seem secondary. They hunch over, they hop around, they snarl, they're placed on a lower plane to make them seem shorter, they put on a "voice" to make them seem less able to speak English compared to other aliens.

I think the main intent for the Ferengi was to give them a "bad" culture for the Federation to be morally superior to, which isn't really a wrong idea to consider that some other cultures are worse, and it's a natural consequence of all the utopian aspects of the early TNG Federation, but it's kind of a gross go about it so directly. There was plenty in TOS of the Enterprise crew deciding that they were right and the aliens were wrong, but they didn't put so much work into cultivating a fall guy. And the Ferengi being always wrong and stupid makes stories less complex.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

SlothfulCobra posted:

And the Ferengi being always wrong and stupid makes stories less complex.

i mean, of course our antagonists are going to seem wrong, and possibly stupid, but oh man, they made them incredibly stupid on TNG. i don't think anyone ever took them seriously, because how could you? they were said to be technologically on par with the federation but were, as you said, snarling little hypercapitalist goblins. it was just ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Spent the better part of a day cruising through my favorite kind of fan fiction: In-universe history book fan fiction :haw:

To say it's top shelf (especially for fanon writing) feels insane but I mean, just look at these pages:

The folks behind this should be writing on the shows.