Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

before that graph happens there has to be the surge to get everything there and then that graph is depletion during a specific operation. A more accurate graph would have a big spike followed by a declining long tail. your graph would just be part of that tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Awfully convenient that war happens in week-long phases.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

croup coughfield posted:

sorry brd that graph means the covenant has been broken and the us will be destroyed

I think everybody is going to be destroyed if things continue to go the way they are going.

FF the Air Force has two chartered containerships that it just has sitting, floating, loaded, figure about 10,000 TEUs together based off me guessing from their displacement. You should be able to figure out what you want to know from that

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hownlong till rust springs a hole in the hull and they sink?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Did the Ukraine thread vanish cuz I can't find it anymore. Did they gently caress with the title?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Did the Ukraine thread vanish cuz I can't find it anymore. Did they gently caress with the title?

It's called Mass Shootings now.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I think everybody is going to be destroyed if things continue to go the way they are going.

FF the Air Force has two chartered containerships that it just has sitting, floating, loaded, figure about 10,000 TEUs together based off me guessing from their displacement. You should be able to figure out what you want to know from that

I'm just following up on A-10 chat by observing that even optimistic Conventional Defence planners did not expect a long war along NATO's central front.

In light of the expectation that RCAF Baden–Soellingen would be put out of action by initial Soviet strikes*, 4 CMBG not expected to survive more than 2 weeks of combat once it was moved up from II Corps reserve, and 2 CMBG expected to suffer casualties on the way to pick up POMCUS in Norway,** Canadian combat power and supplies for Conventional Defence ran about 14 days.

*Yes, with warning, the squadrons based there were expected to disperse to other airfields which would keep the RCAF in combat longer. Without warning, at Zero Hour the RCAF is out of play.

** Though I forget the figures offhand. It depends on if the Soviet subs broke out of the GUIK gap and into open ocean I suppose, and how many airfields in Norway the Soviets put out of action.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

someone took the suggestion that the thread was hard to find and decided to make it even harder to find

see it changed names AGAIN. At least this one is better I guess

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 22:29 on Jul 5, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm just following up on A-10 chat by observing that even optimistic Conventional Defence planners did not expect a long war along NATO's central front.

In light of the expectation that RCAF Baden–Soellingen would be put out of action by initial Soviet strikes*, 4 CMBG not expected to survive more than 2 weeks of combat once it was moved up from II Corps reserve, and 2 CMBG expected to suffer casualties on the way to pick up POMCUS in Norway,** Canadian combat power and supplies for Conventional Defence ran about 14 days.

*Yes, with warning, the squadrons based there were expected to disperse to other airfields which would keep the RCAF in combat longer. Without warning, at Zero Hour the RCAF is out of play.

** Though I forget the figures offhand. It depends on if the Soviet subs broke out of the GUIK gap and into open ocean I suppose, and how many airfields in Norway the Soviets put out of action.

Funny enough in GMT's Red Stom:The Air War Over Central Germany, 1987 you have a campaign that lasts roughly 2 weeks of conventional warfare before both sides use nukes

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 75 days!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

not ideal but ill accept it

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Ant something?

it’s 50ft Ant and he did make up a lot of his stories. my eyes would glaze over once the “salty sea dog tells tall tales” meter filled to maximum on the first paragraph.

I think the vibe of “barely trained layabouts messing with expensive hardware” was accurate and based on his experiences but I would not trust any detail.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!

Dawncloack posted:

Oh man, wasn't that the guy who had to check the wind and other weather stuff to see where he'd have to aim chemicals to kill the maximum number of people? And he became a massive alcoholic because of that?

I also remember the building they were quartered at makimg a loud-rear end boom sound every so often, for reasons no one had determined, and him finding a concealed space with nazi knives?

That one? Or did I dream that?

If it's the same, I always thought his story of him turning down his big-boobed, older fellow soldier was BS. In my headcanon he did the deed.

that sounds like the guy!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

croup coughfield posted:

not ideal but ill accept it

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

China puts advanced WS-15 engines through J-20 stealth fighter paces

quote:

After two decades of development, China’s most powerful engine has had its maiden flight in one of the country’s most advanced stealth fighters, an upgrade that defence analysts say narrows the technology gap with the United States.

It's been a long road for the WS-15. The J-20 was first manufactured with Russian-made AL-31 engines and then switched to the WS-10C due to the delays on when the WS-15.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

bedpan posted:

that sounds like the guy!

50ft ant i think you guys mean

a lot of his stuff and other goon writing is here
https://nothotbutspicy.com/para/

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

OhFunny posted:

China puts advanced WS-15 engines through J-20 stealth fighter paces

It's been a long road for the WS-15. The J-20 was first manufactured with Russian-made AL-31 engines and then switched to the WS-10C due to the delays on when the WS-15.
Very bold to say that engine narrows the technological gap, rather than widening it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it'd be funny if the claims the US makes about its gear were exaggerated marketing bullshit and china coming close to actually achieving the stated performance is making US planners poo poo themselves

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

US Planners might actually believe the marketing

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

crepeface posted:

if the claims the US makes about its gear were exaggerated marketing bullshit
Hmm

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

having a reliable engine is cheating imo

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

How does China expect to win a war if its state of the art stealth jet isnt down for maintenance at best 50% of the time

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

cat botherer posted:

Very bold to say that engine narrows the technological gap, rather than widening it.

yeah what do china know about plane tech when they don't have the necessary experience at bombing weddings

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I wonder if there is a point when the commenters that are deflecting the actual state of the US military there are simply making the problem even worse, it doesn’t seem close at hand.

But yeah, an military not even really geared for a Libya-style campaign may have some issues with a harder fight.

The a-10 was expected not to last very long but do a bunch of damage in the process, it’s Gatling gun and load out was designed to put as much firepower they could on an protected airframe. The SU-25 is a similar concept. All this is going to help is Lockmart.

But yeah there shipyard issue is a huge one as well and I just don’t see Japan and SK being able to just pick up the slack considering the size and state of the USN. Arguably, China is only going to see more of an advantage on a yearly basis as they are rapidly expanding their fleet while more and more of the USN isn’t battle ready.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The whole thing with Japanese and Korean shipyards is moot unless the US Congress lifts the ban on USS ships being produced in non-American facilities.

I don't see that happening.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Look, just increase the navy yard service cost by another 300%, Brooklyn Navy Yard owner will kick out the ebike shop and micro brew and artisanal bagel stores and convert it back to a military navy yard for more profit. I dare you to tell me that's not how capitalism works.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

OhFunny posted:

The whole thing with Japanese and Korean shipyards is moot unless the US Congress lifts the ban on USS ships being produced in non-American facilities.

Having other countries produce your Navy for you is a sure sign of the lack of productive capacity/ability

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

OhFunny posted:

even funnier when japan is a distant third and china is the only one whose civilian shipbuilding is actually profitable

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

OhFunny posted:

it'll happen if it has to

but then it will be too late

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Palladium posted:

even funnier when japan is a distant third and china is the only one whose civilian shipbuilding is actually profitable

Also, the Chinese designed their shipyards to be dual use for a reason.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

If you really think about it, producing ships in chinas backyard cuts down on operating costs because they don't have to be transported with 0 possible downsides.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

If you really think about it, producing ships in chinas backyard cuts down on operating costs because they don't have to be transported with 0 possible downsides.

it’s also clearly greener

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Look, just increase the navy yard service cost by another 300%, Brooklyn Navy Yard owner will kick out the ebike shop and micro brew and artisanal bagel stores and convert it back to a military navy yard for more profit. I dare you to tell me that's not how capitalism works.

They will take the money and then do nothing.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Crow posted:

They will take the money and then do nothing.

That's when we send a strongly worded letter...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Like the tank factory in Stalingrad driving unpainted t34's straight into battle

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Like the tank factory in Stalingrad driving unpainted t34's straight into battle

Don't even need to bother with the driving part if the ship gets hit with a missile in the dock, that's efficiency

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Oldest Man posted:

Don't even need to bother with the driving part if the ship gets hit with a missile in the dock, that's efficiency

Spawn camping is against treaty

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

Having other countries produce your Navy for you is a sure sign of the lack of productive capacity/ability

Full circle from Armstrong and Elswick building the IJN as Japan first started their navy.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

why would you build ships to rebuild the us navy if it got exploded and you're like right next to china which makes all the things in the world, why not change sides to the one capable of material production

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

celadon posted:

why would you build ships to rebuild the us navy if it got exploded and you're like right next to china which makes all the things in the world, why not change sides to the one capable of material production

Because you've lived an insular life at the top of the capitalist food chain and everyone below you has been taught wrong as a joke so you cannot perceive material reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

Because you've lived an insular life at the top of the capitalist food chain and everyone below you has been taught wrong as a joke so you cannot perceive material reality

I can't talk about poo poo that actually passes across my desk, but this is the best explanation for the Canada Medium Howitzer, Canada Light Howitzer, and Canada Medium Self-Propelled Howitzer programs.