Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Stereotype posted:

I’m glad that the American economy is so heavily reliant on the tech sector which is doing such great work innovating with novel products like “twitter but with Facebook branding” and “twitter except not functional” and “plagiarism robot”

https://twitter.com/TallBart/status/1676794949814321152

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

xiaoren posted:

All else equal, doesn't more productive workers mean less workers, though?

I think it was 'bullshit jobs' who put it as workplace mgmt as medieval princelings looking to maintain their fiefdoms. So you could have a uber efficent machine but the princelings would still keep headcount for their own status.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Stereotype posted:

I’m glad that the American economy is so heavily reliant on the tech sector which is doing such great work innovating with novel products like “twitter but with Facebook branding” and “twitter except not functional” and “plagiarism robot”

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

anyway I was reading Bernie Sanders's latest book and he brings up a point that I'd never quite grasped before: the specific way in which automation is pursued, developed, and implemented ends up being expressed in a very specific (one might say "mutated") fashion because of how capitalism means it's only done with the goal of eliminating labor and dodging taxes

if you have ten employees making doohickeys, you have to pay them, and you have to pay a payroll tax for employing them

you don't want automation that makes the job safer, you just want automation that eliminates as many of those ten employees as possible. You might not even be pursuing automation that's more productive, because the thing you're really trying to get away from, is paying their wages, and paying the payroll tax

and because this is the only goal of automation, there are avenues of automation that are never explored. I suppose it's similar to how in pharmaceuticals, "treatments" are more popular than long-term cures, or procedures that cater to rare conditions, because those things are not profitable

I have found myself working in industrial process automation/optimization and the way this works is pretty tragic to see. Say you find something that is Better - you improve your telemetry & controls, eliminate variation in process, equipment efficiencies, etc. There are many ways you can 'realize the gains' this creates. You could increase production/whatever with the same amount of equipment and assets. You could keep production the same and lower depreciation and improve cash flow. You can maybe eliminate early equipment failures and reduce catastrophic failures associated with misuse.

All sounds nice, but when you run the numbers the absolute most financially beneficial objective to optimize for is cutting peoples jobs. A lot of those other things I mentioned are usually not only lower in $$$ but come with some big error bars - its kind of just guesses until it can be demonstrated. Eliminating positions though is easy for me to track on an excel sheet and can come with some staggeringly large numbers. Even when you get into this stuff without the idea of eliminating jobs, thats what it always circles back to.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's difficult for me to believe the official line from Bluesky that they need to keep gatekeeping registrations because they don't have enough infrastructure available to support an influx of users. Part of the whole "cloud computing" concept is that you should be able to deploy large-scale projects very quickly.

anyway, all of these Twitter-replacements are going to struggle to find their footing until/unless they provide a feature that'll scan your current Twitter account and then follow you to everyone that already has a matching account on the new platform

setting aside something like Threads being preemptively developed to be actively crap

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Cloud computing might have meant something originally but these days it just means "someone else's server rack".

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

once again community notes is just a way to tut-tut at people whenever the news is uncomfortable to their interests

in this case the real numbers are bad enough there’s not really any need for the lol ones from the tweet though

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's difficult for me to believe the official line from Bluesky that they need to keep gatekeeping registrations because they don't have enough infrastructure available to support an influx of users. Part of the whole "cloud computing" concept is that you should be able to deploy large-scale projects very quickly.

I've seen enough minimum viable product code to know that the first neanderthrashing a company puts out can absolutely not be able to properly use cloud-based scaling. Plus, cloud poo poo is expensive. They might be doing all their infra in-house. I don't actually know anything about bluesky though, so that's just supposition on my part.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

gradenko_2000 posted:

anyway, all of these Twitter-replacements are going to struggle to find their footing until/unless they provide a feature that'll scan your current Twitter account and then follow you to everyone that already has a matching account on the new platform

setting aside something like Threads being preemptively developed to be actively crap

It is an online gated community for libs

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1676948203751759872?s=20

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Private sector is hiring going long on Trump

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1676927850731978752?t=gAjGdAddt7ddieKVGmHTLw&s=19

Estimate was 225k

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT REMAINS STRONG

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Soft landing
https://twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/1676955057588416518?t=GERp_2n3dZFw6VFKGpH-gw&s=19

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
You'd think you'd start to question some assumptions when you're estimates are off by more than half

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

You'd think you'd start to question some assumptions when you're estimates are off by more than half

won't be doing that

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Paradoxish posted:

No, it is reality that is wrong

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

DancingShade posted:

Cloud computing might have meant something originally but these days it just means "someone else's server rack".

Nice rack, too bad it’s woke

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

i am harry posted:

what was trump doing in 2018-2019 to make it plateau

Lead up to brexit probably

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

DancingShade posted:

That's all it ever meant

Any other meaning was ascribed to it by people who didn't understand the underlying technology behind the conceptual idea

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

these great numbers mean stocks are down 1% lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
employment up = more money stolen from hard working corporations by lazy employees

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

need clarification on the kinds of jobs this is because it sure as hell ain't anywhere in tech lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Nothus posted:

You're not supposed to say that part out loud

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Orange Devil posted:

Also if you do eliminate those jobs your profits will eventually go down because exploiting labour is the only long-term source of profit. Short term you might have reduced your operating costs vs competitors and thus be able to (only slightly) undercut their prices to gain more market share and profits (the delta between your cost savings and your new, only slightly lower price), but as they catch up to your automation innovation, as long as there is competition and you're not in a rent-seeking position, prices will fall all the way to reflect the reduced cost of the manufacturing process minus 10 workers plus the cost of the automation.

Counter argument - slash the jobs, keep your price the same, use the increased profit margin to take out loans, buy up your competitors until there are only a handful of companies around who did the same thing, then everybody raises prices by 300% while lamenting increased costs due to insert crisis here in press releases and celebrating massive profits in shareholder conferences.

Bam! Everyone wins.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

Not if the estimates are mostly for propaganda purposes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

triple sulk posted:

need clarification on the kinds of jobs this is because it sure as hell ain't anywhere in tech lol

Plenty of tech jobs out there. My oldest just got a job and he knows 3 other people who just got tech jobs. At the big firms too.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I love that the stock market drops a ton when ever good job numbers come in lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

labor is a liability on your balance sheet

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Mr Hootington posted:

Plenty of tech jobs out there. My oldest just got a job and he knows 3 other people who just got tech jobs. At the big firms too.
reach for your bootstraps, triple sulk!!!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

everything is a bubble. that includes you, your spending habits and your job

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

that's great but the market is still absolute loving poo poo

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I think you will be successful soon

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mr Hootington posted:

I've got a PhD and 5 years high-level data science experience, and a lot of connections. I got laid off on the 3rd round and haven't found poo poo despite applying to about 500 jobs at this point. I almost got this one job but lost out because they said I was "too engineering-focused." They only asked me engineering questions, of course that's what I'll talk about.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Lol @ the Facebook Twitter clone just not letting you control what you see on your feed from the jump

You'll see what we want you to see and like it

Now resume scrolling and posting so other Resources can also Scroll should we see fit to show them the work you've done for us

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

cat botherer posted:

I've got a PhD and 5 years high-level data science experience, and a lot of connections. I got laid off on the 3rd round and haven't found poo poo despite applying to about 500 jobs at this point. I almost got this one job but lost out because they said I was "too engineering-focused." They only asked me engineering questions, of course that's what I'll talk about.

Data jobs are in the shitter right now, especially data science. The AI hype caused a wave of demand and now all those people are getting fired because it turns out ai is poo poo.

Debase yourself and go back to data engineering if you want to find a decent data job right now. Data analysts and scientists don't want to do the actual data engineering most of the time from my experience.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Monkey Fracas posted:

Lol @ the Facebook Twitter clone just not letting you control what you see on your feed from the jump

Now resume scrolling and posting so other Resources can also Scroll should we see fit to show them the work you've done for us

Facebook Marketplace does the same dumb poo poo so this was inevitable

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

Libs love it of course because it controls the narrative they want (hopefully)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Data jobs are in the shitter right now, especially data science. The AI hype caused a wave of demand and now all those people are getting fired because it turns out ai is poo poo.

Debase yourself and go back to data engineering if you want to find a decent data job right now. Data analysts and scientists don't want to do the actual data engineering most of the time from my experience.
I've been applying to some data engineering jobs, but not really hearing back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Stereotype posted: