Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
HGTV poisoning

edit: 2 lovely snypes in a row :snoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sweeper posted:

as far as I can tell you are expected to save up for a new down payment while paying your mortgage and then swing proceeds from the sale of your home + extra down payment money into a new home, keeping your monthly low by having more to put down? I’m not entirely sure how it is supposed to work though, do you just recast your new mortgage immediately? sell before moving? contingent sales? it’s all very house of cards-ish, market would dry up any time rates increase enough to make saving to keep the same rate untenable. obviously lenders are happy to give you obscene amounts of money for sky high monthlies and many people seem to do that which makes it even more expensive to buy
You're supposed to sell your old place while you buy your new place and close on both at the same time, or take an interest-only bridge loan for what you expect to get free and clear when you sell your house, with the obvious risk that brings.

Even so,

quote:

rates basically just went down for 40 years meaning your down payment goes further as monthlies are lower, so like everything else, the rug was pulled https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MORTGAGE30US

The talk I've been hearing is that the moment rates drop again in any significant way, prices will get ratcheted up again because "people were buying $XXX at 7%, so clearly they can pay $(XXX)*1.25 at 4%!!"

Prices will never go down again in any appreciable way again, it will just be accepted going forward that everyone should be paying half their gross on housing.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

you are 1000% right

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

half you income on housing
half your income on health care
half your income on food
half your income on education

no problem

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
no issue.

credit will be cheap again.

next!

Apr 7, 2003

I wonder how much of the housing crisis is being driven by a lack of raw materials. Modern 2x4s are poo poo, there's a cartel that's jacking up the price of gypsum with zero government intervention or oversight, and we don't do masonry anymore because it's too expensive and we don't have the tradesfolks to build it properly anymore.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

is residential home construction with steel studs not allowed for some reason? using 16 gauge 3 5/8 stud with clips and building box beam headers, and even using chicago bar if you must, it's lightning quick and rock solid. what i just described is overkill, but i dunno what the code requirements would be.

any crew that can frame out a house in timber can do it in steel. materials cost can be higher for steel, but insurance/labor is always lower. can't see how steel hasn't started to edge into timber more other than inertia

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

my bony fealty posted:

why do your neighbors have your and your others neighbors' email that's awful

we use a google group to send out emails such as:

"is this someone's bike in my yard?"

"heads up: this dude took all my mail."

"oh yeah he took my son's bike too."

etc etc

Apr 7, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

is residential home construction with steel studs not allowed for some reason? using 16 gauge 3 5/8 stud with clips and building box beam headers, and even using chicago bar if you must, it's lightning quick and rock solid. what i just described is overkill, but i dunno what the code requirements would be.

any crew that can frame out a house in timber can do it in steel. materials cost can be higher for steel, but insurance/labor is always lower. can't see how steel hasn't started to edge into timber more other than inertia

Anecdotal but the only place I see steel framing used is in highrise condo buildings

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

It's mostly because tradesmen don't like it. When you ask a contractor to build your home with steel, they will redirect you. Nail gunning pine is easy!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Steel conducts heat like a goddamn highway too, the increased insulation costs are probably going to eat any savings because with thin studs ur insulation batts aren't gonna fit properly.

sprayfoam the entire structure maybe, but then you have to upgrade ventilation and air processing (probly a good idea these days anyway)

also yeah tradesmen can't work it as profligately and unreservedly as they're used to.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there are actually quite a few companies in texas that will pour a slab and build you a steel-frame house or super-large garage that you then do all the interior work with someone else

https://rafterpconstruction.com/where-we-build/floor-plans/

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i say swears online posted:

there are actually quite a few companies in texas that will pour a slab and build you a steel-frame house or super-large garage that you then do all the interior work with someone else

drat this owns i would love to do this

Apr 7, 2003

i say swears online posted:

https://rafterpconstruction.com/floor-plan/dallas/

The most Texas thing imaginable, a small living space attached to a gigantic garage

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The most Texas thing imaginable, a small living space attached to a gigantic garage

appropriately named considering Dallas was the most car-obsessed and car-vain place i've ever been

Apr 7, 2003

I had a gun pulled on me in Dallas in 1999 for not driving fast enough. I was driving a Ford diesel lift truck with a trailer that might have hit 60mph if you gave it a half hour to get there.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

that's where the table saw and sheet goods go for me to build the rest of the house

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
same except in 2009 and for merging correctly. multiple guns. like something out of a movie or music video lol a buncha dudes in an escalade with spinners taller than my two-seater's doors

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's where the table saw and sheet goods go for me to build the rest of the house

yeah it would be fun to have a workshop where i'd just lathe bits of wood all day

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Goons just discovered bardominiums.

I looked this up last year while pondering some options. The good ones will have thicker exterior walls so you can insulate the poo poo out of them. I don't think after finish out that one comes out any cheaper any more these days. It's same sad thing as modular homes; you might come out 10% cheaper than if you had done exactly what you wanted using stick-built.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Starter home is just a nicer way of someone saying they think your place is too small

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KttowF53r0I

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

It's a shame that when houses that landlords own get foreclosed on, the property is completely deleted from existence. This will make more people homeless.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

thinking pervert poo poo - living with economic security due to a stable housing situation 😈

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1677046256525524992?s=20

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Ornery and Hornery posted:

thinking pervert poo poo - living with economic security due to a stable housing situation 😈

dangerously horny for these forums

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
7.22% is insane. Surely this will reign in prices before commercial real estate implodes!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

very cool that there are people out there getting 30 year mortgages at 10% and more, very healthy economy

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
very cool for someone like me who is moving to a different city .

going to love talking to my well off elderly relatives this weekend about the contradictions of “bidenomics” since they are all CNN brained super succs.

it’s going to be great when fed just keeps on raising rates.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

the number must go up tho

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have noticed barely any slow down in house sales

houses are still selling in days. my neighbor never even had a open house.

they are probably all being bought by institutional buyers :(

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

anyone who wants to sell a house is driven to never take prices down, even if it's not selling, because they need the cash to afford the next mortgage

lmao

everything is poo poo

Apr 7, 2003

A Bad King posted:

7.22% is insane. Surely this will reign in prices before commercial real estate implodes!

It's normal for a very healthy economy to not function at historically normal interest rates. Healthy economies need a free money hose to function.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

euphronius posted:

That's great I hope someone wants to buy my piece of poo poo trailer park home so I can quit paying lot rent on it

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

From late May:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

euphronius posted:

My boss just moved to be closer to family and her realtor asked her straight-up how much she would take for the house and within 24 hours had brokered a cash deal with an investor. The house never even hit the market.

Apr 7, 2003

Nothus posted:

My boss just moved to be closer to family and her realtor asked her straight-up how much she would take for the house and within 24 hours had brokered a cash deal with an investor. The house never even hit the market.

I've been watching the listings versus recently sold for years and this happens with a shitload of properties, increasingly more so today but I remember seeing it in 2016 too

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Sell your home and live in the forest so you can help to heal the economy by increasing supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Maybe they could increase the supply by building more housing? idk

whoops, all landlords