Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Maybe it's me who is the stupid, but story wise, isn't it just that Sanctuary, the High Heavens, the Burning Hells and everyone in between are terminally stupid? Lilith talks a big game about wanting to save Sanctuary from invasion by Hell, but immediately incinerates or cannibal holocausts multiple major human settlements apparently out of spite, ruins the lives of or outright murders everyone dumb enough to help her, and then acts surprised when the player character doesn't believe her. Then Mephisto says "look bro I intend to do the exact things she's doing but bigger and badder and will definitely kill you too, but she sucks right now so we should work together".

Then Inarius, lol. The Heavens outside Tyrael have repeatedly proven to be worthless disinterested first (after) worlders at best and hostile blood mad and/or nihilistic genociders against humans whenever they finally act.

Then the Horadrim, all two and a half of them, decide the best thing to do is the same soul stone move that failed multiple times now. Even better, a teenager puts a Prime Evil in a soul stone and runs away with it presumably to absentmindedly set up the plot of D1 again with the Evil who didn't even need a body to corrupt the leadership of the biggest church on the planet. I guess we're going with the crapsack world where no one wins, ever, because that's "balance" but it's not narratively too interesting.

All the little mini-stories and npc character arcs, vignettes and set dressing are fantastic but their drive to explain in particular detail the metaphysical ins and outs of the Palin Family Dramedy that is the Diablo Cosmology just doesn't land for me.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Maybe it's me who is the stupid, but story wise, isn't it just that Sanctuary, the High Heavens, the Burning Hells and everyone in between is terminally stupid? Lilith talks a big game about wanting to save Sanctuary from invasion by Hell, but immediately incinerates or cannibal holocausts multiple major human settlements apparently out of spite, ruins the lives of or outright murders everyone dumb enough to help her, and then acts surprised when the player character doesn't believe her. Then Mephisto says "look bro I intend to do the exact things she's doing but bigger and badder and will definitely kill you too, but she sucks right now so we should work together".

Then Inarius, lol. The Heavens outside Tyrael have repeatedly proven to be worthless disinterested first (after) worlders at best and hostile blood mad and/or nihilistic genociders against humans whenever they finally act.

Then the Horadrim, all two and a half of them, decide the best thing to do is the same soul stone move that failed multiple times now. Even better, a teenager puts a Prime Evil in a soul stone and runs away with it presumably to absentmindedly set up the plot of D1 again with the Evil who didn't even need a body to corrupt the leadership of the biggest church on the planet. I guess we're going with the crapsack world where no one wins, ever, because that's "balance" but it's not narratively too interesting.

it's very realistic because just like real life everyone is dumb and keeps making the same mistakes and never learns from history

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Having seen part 1 of this story, allow me to tell you the shortcomings of the next several chapters

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

It would be nice to be able to click the sort tab in the aspects & consumables tabs as a toggle that alternates between sorting by level and sorting by type (so all sigils for a particular dungeon or aspects with the same power can be put together).

Also please just make the enchanting system the same as D3–there was no need to reinvent that into something incredibly worse. Fix the cost, show me what can roll and what the ranges are beforehand, and if you’re going to give me ranks to a skill don’t expect me to pull up a window to some other site on a second screen to remember what that passive skill does b/c I don’t recognize it immediately by name. Especially since I can’t check it beforehand by seeing it on a list of possible rolls.

And since I’m crying about it, please stop making me spend 10m gold a roll looking for +vulnerable and giving me the option to keep the +willpower roll I already have, or choose from 2 different +willpower rolls.

Because let me tell you that nothing ruins my will to play this game faster than to have a substantial rare weapon upgrade and perfectly rolled aspect in my stash that I cannot do anything with until I get that last roll and the only reasonable thing I can do to get there is to farm gold for an hour to attempt 1 re-roll before I’m broke and have to do it all over again.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm new to games with "Seasons". Do I remember reading that eventually Seasonal characters will revert to the Eternal realm once a season ends?

Marshal Plugnut posted:

I'm doing this and can recommend it, if you do decide to give it a try. I can't remember the names of the aspects, but I have the ones that buff core damage after stacking primary attacks, and the one where kick resets leap. The general style is frenzy to build rage, chains to suck in a bunch of enemies and apply vulnerable, HOTA the cluster of enemies, kick away the stragglers (refreshing vulnerable), leap over (refilling rage), and HOTA again. It's good fun to control the battle by basically punting enemies around the screen, and gives you survivability options by kicking elites out of your face as necessary.
2h weapon expertise, slow on bleed, and the umbral aspect really helps to keep rage up for HOTA action too.
Ahh this sounds great. Maybe I'll try it in a Season or something since I'm far too lazy/tired to rebuild my current Barb to do it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm new to games with "Seasons". Do I remember reading that eventually Seasonal characters will revert to the Eternal realm once a season ends?

Yeah your seasonal char becomes an eternal char

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ignore any clickbait article about how diablo players are FURIOUS that their seasonal characters are deleted every 3 months

But also prepare yourself because that may as well be true lol

Pretty rare to go visit your eternal characters on the farm when seasons tend to be 1,000,000% more exciting

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Yes. Seasonal characters and new items/aspects will move to the Eternal Realm when the season ends.

Anything unearned on the battlepass, the season mechanic gimmicks, and any cosmetics/titles from the season journey you haven't unlocked yet are gone forever when the season is over.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jesus this thread moves fast.

Ehud posted:

Yeah your seasonal char becomes an eternal char
Cool thank you Ehud.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes. Seasonal characters and new items/aspects will move to the Eternal Realm when the season ends.

Anything unearned on the battlepass, the season mechanic gimmicks, and any cosmetics/titles from the season journey you haven't unlocked yet are gone forever when the season is over.
Cool, thank you as well.

edit: \/\/\/ and less running around town & sorting loot. I want to Deathblow more demons for more of that dopamine hit from the sound effect.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I hope the theme is hell, game needs more hell, more demons, less doors

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

The thing they said they didn't like about sets was that your build was literally garbage until you got the "Resource Costs reduced by 100% and damage increased by 10,000%" set bonus and that bonus was so good that nothing else mattered.

"We're tired of these unique items defining builds! Also, there are build-defining uniques!" was one of the weirder takes from their videos. Sets really wouldn't work with their current drop rates anyway but (like everything else in those videos) it was so nevously middle-of-the-road that it looked like everyone there was worried about the men with rifles just off-screen.

The art direction changes are fine, but I think the people who thought that D3 ruined D2 because you didn't have to walk everywhere, they put the vendors too close to together, added auto-pickup for gold, and added infinite character respecs are weird masochists.

I've always figured that stuff would be there on release to appease the D2 crowd, then slowly get sanded down over time as the game maintained an audience and the people getting fired up because the game doesn't break one of your kneecaps in real life if you ever die would either be tired of not walking or would have hobbled on to something else. Teleporting to dungeons is pretty obvious but there's no way the entire team just didn't notice (or hear from pre-release players) how annoying that was.

I still want some of D3's current seasonal gimmicks in permanently in every game like this ever. Auto-hoovering (and dusting for crafting mats) almost anything you don't care about is such a good decision but... yeah, someone somewhere is going to complain about the lack of RSI.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Stream is up w/ the countdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ih-nvMvxV8

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

wuffles posted:

It would be nice to be able to click the sort tab in the aspects & consumables tabs as a toggle that alternates between sorting by level and sorting by type (so all sigils for a particular dungeon or aspects with the same power can be put together).

Or just alphabetize them!

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

SettingSun posted:

I don’t know if this a quibble for anyone else but I kinda wish uniques had a color that was not super close to the color legendaries are.

The colour scheme in general is terrible for colour blind people. I have trouble distinguishing rare/legendary in my inventory as well.

I felt like I was taking crazy pills when someone else was praising the accessibility. No matter how much cb people bitch about it, it feels like developers cannot wrap their heads around the fact that filters do not help colourblind people. It’s in every game now instead of just letting us change UI elements

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Ehud posted:

it's very realistic because just like real life everyone is dumb and keeps making the same mistakes and never learns from history

Fair. I think what's causing it to stumble for me is that the setting feels so small now that we've explained so much of the underlying mystery that we (the player) practically know the embodiments of the primal forces of creation down to their daily habits and personal tastes wrt fast food chicken choices. It feels like everyone on Sanctuary knows exactly where and how and why Everything Is so the mystery and intrigue are gone.

I guess it has to be that way after Reaper of Souls and that's how we get amazing gags like "what, Demons are real but magic beans aren't??" though.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 6, 2023

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I hope they keep the enchanting as is. Cost has to ramp

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Fair. I think what's causing it to stumble for me is that the setting feels so small now that we've explained so much of the underlying mystery that we (the player) practically know the embodiments of the primal forces of creation down to their daily habits and personal tastes wrt fast food chicken choices. It feels like everyone on Sanctuary knows exactly where and how and why Everything Is so the mystery and intrigue is gone.

I guess it has to be that way after Reaper of Souls and that's how we get amazing gags like "what, Demons are real but magic beans aren't??" though.

The average person in sanctuary seems pretty dumb/mostly concerned about living their peasant life. They are actually remarkably on the ball in D4 compared to previous games because most of them finally at least acknowledge that demons are real.

Although, weirdly, the church people that believe in a prophecy of Inarius slaying all the demons think that exorcisms are fake.

It was a little weird that there were people in D2 and D3 who were like, "Demons? Here? But, we're not in Hell! They really are able to come to sanctuary?!?"

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
If you like your character, you can keep it

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Time posted:

I hope they keep the enchanting as is. Cost has to ramp

And why is that?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

wuffles posted:

And why is that?

Because the other way is bad

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Time posted:

You’re right, it really ruined d3

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

wuffles posted:

And why is that?

Did you play D3? Sitting at the occultist for 30-45mins trying to get the "perfect" roll is why. It's loving boring and stupid. If you brick your piece of gear with 12mil rerolls just go kill more monsters and get another one. Chances are you just have to settle with a "good enough" piece.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Time posted:

There are more than two ways of doing it, OP. The current way sucks and as a semi-casual player, is something I hate engaging with because it is too much of a roulette wheel. Let me spin the wheel for cheaper or pay extra to just pick what I want. With how RNG heavy it is for the resources invested, I'll just ignore it.

edit: which is kinda telling in a bad way because as a semi-casual I am up to level 72 or something and have been mostly just fine without it. Had a rough spot when I went to WT4 early (without help from another player). I've only changed the affixes on like 5 items and hated it every time because it burned too many resources and I never got what I was hoping for. I wish my new helmet had 100 life-on-kill like my old one, but I made up for it by being in WT4 (can get more Prisms or whatever they are so I can socket everything) and hitting level 70 so I could craft the highest tier of Gem (Skulls, for life-on-kill) and same thing for movement speed on my amulet. Now I just lean on Lunge more when in combat and trudge around slower in dungeons.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 6, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Make it like PoE where you have to right click your currency 30,000 actual times to get a good roll

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

There are more than two ways of doing it, OP. The current way sucks and as a semi-casual player, is something I hate engaging with because it is too much of a roulette wheel. Let me spin the wheel for cheaper or pay extra to just pick what I want. With how RNG heavy it is for the resources invested, I'll just ignore it.

edit: which is kinda telling in a bad way because as a semi-casual I am up to level 72 or something and have been mostly just fine without it. Had a rough spot when I went to WT4 early (without help from another player). I've only changed the affixes on like 5 items and hated it every time because it burned too many resources and I never got what I was hoping for.

You spin a few times and if it didn’t roll what you want then you didn’t find the item you need. Play more and get more loot. that’s the game

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Starks posted:

The colour scheme in general is terrible for colour blind people. I have trouble distinguishing rare/legendary in my inventory as well.

I felt like I was taking crazy pills when someone else was praising the accessibility. No matter how much cb people bitch about it, it feels like developers cannot wrap their heads around the fact that filters do not help colourblind people. It’s in every game now instead of just letting us change UI elements

That sucks I'm sorry. I've definitely encountered this type of thing in other games. Hack sawing in a solution in a lot of ways is worse than ignoring it because it's clear evidence of a lack of knowledge or effort to figure out what should work. In fact that's why I was bitching about half assed screen reader implementation in most games that bother to pretend to implement it. So I know your pain.

And I'll again say that this type of problem is exactly why a middleware solution should exist. It would help Obviate situations like this.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Tiny Timbs posted:

Make it like PoE where you have to right click your currency 30,000 actual times to get a good roll

This but instead of doing it all in one go have it take weeks and weeks. Time gated enchanting

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Time posted:

You spin a few times and if it didn’t roll what you want then you didn’t find the item you need. Play more and get more loot. that’s the game
I'm playing as much as I humanly can and I have yet to find an item with 4 affixes, an intrinsic affix (the ones you cannot roll), and higher base stat (armor or damage) that is "the item I need" so your solution is not a good one.

edit: If they're offering an option to gently caress with my items, the option shouldnt suck. This option sucks. I'm fine paying a resource cost, even a really high one, if I can get what I want. Getting two lovely options is bad and dumb. Players shouldnt be rolling alts and leveling them to the point that they can use the Occultist just to roll items for themselves because rolling on an alt reduces the number of available affixes.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
these poor schlubs stuck in diablo immortal

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

lol they're talking about immortal.

God, break that out into its own event for the five people that give a poo poo. or at least give us a time when they'll start talking about real diablo.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Is this poo poo gonna be an hour long or will we get D4 news in like 20 minutes

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

these streams have such "we like to have fun here!" vibes

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Is this poo poo gonna be an hour long or will we get D4 news in like 20 minutes

They said about 15 mins of immortal

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It's really funny how they're starting out on the defensive for why they're even talking about Diablo Immortal

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Ehud posted:

these streams have such "we like to have fun here!" vibes

Their individual HC characters are right off screen with guns to their heads

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lol imagine getting to the point in your career where you're so clearly respected by your employer that you have to do a 15 minute infomercial for diablo immortal

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

maybe don't use words with sexual connotations (like tantric) when you work at activision blizzard

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Someone is definitely forcing this segment on D:I upon them.

Oh Immortal is getting its own Dracula class.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 6, 2023

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Martian Manfucker posted:

Did you play D3? Sitting at the occultist for 30-45mins trying to get the "perfect" roll is why. It's loving boring and stupid. If you brick your piece of gear with 12mil rerolls just go kill more monsters and get another one. Chances are you just have to settle with a "good enough" piece.

I did play d3 and lol no because I wasn’t trying to roll a 5.5% crit roll on ring to 6%. And if you want to do that, then it’s perfectly fine for the game to let you do that.

It’s a 3/4 817 item power weapon of the right type with decent rolls. I’m not hunting for a high or max roll +% vulnerable roll, I’m hunting for ANY +%vulnerable roll.

And I’ve been using my same weapon for 15 levels and I’m level 93. There have not been any other viable drops after killing many more monsters. I would love to find a better weapon but I doubt I will before I finally luck into a roll on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

lmao those faces when they cut back. Half a second of them looking kinda bummed, then "oh hey cam's on"