Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

One of the all time thread villains. Post is here for newcomers but as you said is pretty rough.

Yeah, that post is pretty disturbing to read because he hits so many abuse checkboxes. Just acts like he doesn't even know why he did what he did, like it wasn't even him screaming at her and smashing her stuff. I'm sure it's been brought up before but I read Why Does He Do That? after my recent breakup (thanks thread!) and one of the points he makes in that book is, when the guy gets mad, does he only break your stuff, never his? Then maybe he's not as "out of control" as he says he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I have a knack for event planning, so it always shocks me at how utterly bad other people can be at it

When you throw a party for a small child, you take RSVPs. Everyone does it, literally every party I've thrown for my sons and every party they've been invited to does it.

So these 7 year old's family members just... didn't take RSVPs? They also didn't text other families to see if they were coming?

That, I just... that's like scuba diving without a tank and expecting to breathe underwater. I'm really struggling to come up with a metaphor here. I'm shook.

They had the foresight to decorate, even. How do you just assume people will show up and not send a text or two?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you can have a knack for something, you can have whatever the opposite of a knack is

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Content for my lovely page snipe:

AITA for laughing when my boyfriend gave me a self help book

quote:

TLDR: Boyfriend gifted me a self help book out of the blue and I found it funny.

As the total says my boyfriend (34m) gave me (26f) a self help book, at first I was really polite when he gave it me, told him I really appreciated it etc. but then he noticed me smiling slightly and asked if I found something funny then I started laughing and he took offence at it.

I’m feeling kinda offended that he just sprung this on me out of nowhere without talking to me about it. I also found it funny that no one had ever gifted me a self help book before, feels a bit like a back handed gift.

He thinks I have depression, and I have struggled with mental health in the past. But I think I have linked my depressive episodes with my cycle as it happens in the pms stage, which I’ve read up on and seems like lots of other women suffer with it too.

Now he’s mad at me that I found it funny but I’m feeling kinda offended. I know the thought behind it but I feel there’s better ways to go about getting someone help than just coming up to them randomly and giving them a self help book.

Tragically the comments don't seem to mention what the book was, so now I'm trying to think of the worst self-help book that you could give a significant other.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The funniest would be a dude giving his long term girlfriend a copy of The Rules

It's probably The Secret or some other "manifest positivity" bullshit which is still actively insulting to give to someone with depression like she describes

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

I have a knack for event planning, so it always shocks me at how utterly bad other people can be at it

When you throw a party for a small child, you take RSVPs. Everyone does it, literally every party I've thrown for my sons and every party they've been invited to does it.

So these 7 year old's family members just... didn't take RSVPs? They also didn't text other families to see if they were coming?

That, I just... that's like scuba diving without a tank and expecting to breathe underwater. I'm really struggling to come up with a metaphor here. I'm shook.

They had the foresight to decorate, even. How do you just assume people will show up and not send a text or two?

The reaction makes me wonder if they deliberately "forgot" to invite, or disinvited, the kid's friends.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Drunk Nerds posted:

100% although I think it also might be a cultural thing too. My daughter had a Mexican classmate (not guessing or anything, they actually recently moved back to Mexico) who showed up to class with hand written notes inviting people to their house for a party. No mention of RSVPs or even a number to call. It greatly agitated the folks in my kids circle who plan this kinda thing. We took our kid anyways cause I was worried no one would show up, they invited the entire class though and it was alright. Not knowing that kinda cultural norm I’m assuming is a middle class white people thing could be a stumbling block

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I can remember destroying things in anger only one time in my adult life, and it was poo poo I was already planning on replacing (very old clothes baskets that were already in pretty rough shape). It did feel pretty good, in retrospect. Maybe I need to break more poo poo.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Lawyers keep saying they need to write the agreement themselves
OK so I've written up a solid child support agreement which will be signed by myself and my ex partner, however it needs signatures from lawyers from both parties.

So how the heck can I get signatures if the lawyers just want to "write their own" agreement to charge insane prices?

So this post isn't THAT interesting on it's own. Bog standard bullshit where some guy is trying to get his wife to sign a child support agreement and is upset that lawyers wont sign it without drafting an actual legal document instead of one he wrote himself. Most likely it's some kind of non-standard unenforceable nonsense he got chatGPT to poo poo out. He is of course angrily responding to every poster telling him the myriad reasons that no lawyer will just sign his self written document.

However, this guy's post history has some amazing details about the kind of person he is.

quote:

Being charged for something I didn't do
OK do pretty straight forward, I've been contacted by the police and they stated my bike left the scene of an accident on a freeway. Apparently there was damage to a mirror. The only evidence they have is my bike colour and license plate and a witness statement.

I got legal advice where they told me to just pay it and be done with it but when I contacted the officer in charge of the case, she said she can't because there's a witness statement so it's up to the courts.

I don't get it, the witness could be the guys mate and without seeing the statement myself, how can I determine its even a worthy statement?

I cant believe the officer can't just let me pay and move on. Is that normal?

quote:

Is it a sign of guilt if I do this?
Recently I received a visit from 2 Police officers who were asking me questions regarding a traffic incident. Apparently there was a witness along with the victim who saw my motorcycle damage another car and fled the scene. Obviously all this was news to me. I've never been in an accident or hit another vehicle and fled the scene. It is a classic he said, she said case.

I have already found discrepancies in the witness statement so I'm happy I can get that thrown out however, to avoid spending 5k + in legal fees, I was going to just call the police and ask them to contact the victim, get the quote for repairs and I'll just cover it to save the stress, money and time wasted in me proving I'm innocent.

If I do this, will this make me look guilty in anyway?

A few other highlights, just as titles:
Where are the negative reports or articles regarding covid vaccines?
Why is there no bad news about covid or the vaccine online?
What opener do you use when meeting a stranger on an online dating site?
Note this is well before he starts mentioning divorce and he says he's looking for "Something casual"

Also lots of posts claim his ex agreed to everything and it's amicable, but this sure doesn't sound like it:

quote:

OK so the issue I'm having is my ex has gone and tried to put a 2 year ADVO on me with false allegations. Obviously I'm fighting it but I was tempted to agree to the advo but not the admissions which would mean I don't have to talk or see her for 2 years.
ADVO is a restraining order specific to domestic violence

Beyond that just standard internet dipshit stuff where he's really into crypto, specifically the knockoff of doge coin, shiba inu coin lol

I just fell completely down this rabbit hole. Absolute shocker this guy is getting divorced.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Invisible Clergy posted:

One of the all time thread villains. Post is here for newcomers but as you said is pretty rough.

quote:

I guess it isn't as black and white as I thought.

Uhhh I think smashing someone's wedding ring is exactly as black and white as you might think.

Competing with a ghost is hard but if it's not in a healthy place then that's the cue to move on from the relationship, not attempt to bully their former life out of it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my family that my kids and I will not be visiting if we can't bring my husband's sister?

quote:

Now they're saying I'm a bad mom to my bio kids for taking away their grandparents

"taking away" assholes like this is exactly what good parents are supposed to do

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
RSVP sounds like something a fancy rich guy who pays someone to park their car would do, so I simply never do it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

Meanwhile, my 7-year-old cousin's birthday party was scheduled from 12:00 to 5:30.

I missed this last night but the I wouldn’t take my kids to a 5.5 hour birthday party, either.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

wilderthanmild posted:

So this post isn't THAT interesting on it's own. Bog standard bullshit where some guy is trying to get his wife to sign a child support agreement and is upset that lawyers wont sign it without drafting an actual legal document instead of one he wrote himself. Most likely it's some kind of non-standard unenforceable nonsense he got chatGPT to poo poo out. He is of course angrily responding to every poster telling him the myriad reasons that no lawyer will just sign his self written document.

lol this guy is going to represent himself in court and get absolutely reamed

that is, if he doesn't go to jail first:

OP posted:

I cant believe the officer can't just let me pay and move on. Is that normal?

quote:

Yes that’s normal, as this is a crime, not just a traffic violation.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

wilderthanmild posted:

However, this guy's post history has some amazing details about the kind of person he is.

A few other highlights, just as titles:
Where are the negative reports or articles regarding covid vaccines?
Why is there no bad news about covid or the vaccine online?
What opener do you use when meeting a stranger on an online dating site?
Note this is well before he starts mentioning divorce and he says he's looking for "Something casual"

Also lots of posts claim his ex agreed to everything and it's amicable, but this sure doesn't sound like it:

ADVO is a restraining order specific to domestic violence

Beyond that just standard internet dipshit stuff where he's really into crypto, specifically the knockoff of doge coin, shiba inu coin lol

I just fell completely down this rabbit hole. Absolute shocker this guy is getting divorced.

This guy seems like a real piece of poo poo

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Foo Diddley posted:

lol this guy is going to represent himself in court and get absolutely reamed

that is, if he doesn't go to jail first:

I think my favorite part is that in trying to pay he's almost certainly admitted fault to the police at some point, so not even hiring a lawyer could help him now.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

tactlessbastard posted:

I missed this last night but the I wouldn’t take my kids to a 5.5 hour birthday party, either.

I did this a couple weekends ago, except it was 3 separate parties for 5/6-year olds, back to back to back.

It was a long day.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Looking through the australian hit and run guy's comments and guess what else came up:

Is it wrong to hold onto gifts given by previous partners when you're in a relationship with someone new and if so why?

quote:

What about an engagement ring?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Pages ago but r/relationships: My code may be flawed, but it's my code.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

The code is the Konami code

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

I don't know if that's exactly what's going on here, it could be the girlfriend is more just covering for her bf not wanting to hang out with this person anymore either, since OP is like "oh yeah whoopsie doodle I accidentally told him I loved him then accidentally went right off and hooked up with somebody else".

OP is absolutely the villain of this one and the new gf is in no way controlling. New gf is probably just telling bf "You don't have to do everything just because these assholes do it". OP admits to stringing this guy along who she knew had a thing for her and is just mad that the new gf is taking time away from her admirer.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for not putting my partners name on the house?

quote:

So for context we're both 27M and have been together for around 8 years. I work a job that pays 60K a year and he is unemployed and collects 'benefits' off of his parents. He's been unemployed since covid when he was fired and never got round to finding a job again.

Recently I've been looking into buying a house. He's been supportive of this and getting us out of the crazy renting market. I managed to find a house I love and talked to him about it. We visited together and decided this is the one.

Now it gets to paperwork and mortgage stuff and I complete it and pay the deposit. I tell him that it's all gone through and we should be on track to moving in a couple of months. He asks to go through the paperwork and I agree. 3 days later he confronts me and asks why everything is in my name. I reply because it's my money and I'm the one paying the mortgage, you're not putting any money or effort into the property. He retaliates saying I'm being financially abusive and says that I can't expect to own everything.

Later on we talk again and we discuss our issues with it. I agreed that in my will the house is left to him, as well as most of my savings. He says it's not enough and if we split up he's left with nothing. It gets heated and I tell him of he wanted a house he should have worked for it, not stayed at home and relied on me. I said if he wanted to be on the mortgage it means he will have to find a job that pays the same as mine.

The argument hasn't really resolved itself and I'm wondering now whether I am being inconsiderate of him. I really don't know what to do.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Kitfox88 posted:

Agreed

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pomme de Terror posted:

This is easy, if you want to stay with the guy put him on the mortgage, if you don't tell him to pound sand.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

greazeball posted:

She dumped you for the afterlife, babe! Just get over it already!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Fil5000 posted:

This is easy, if you want to stay with the guy put him on the mortgage, if you don't tell him to pound sand.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I don't think you can have your name on the deed (in the UK) if you aren't responsible for the mortgage.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

FTFY. Dude is not paying a dime towards the house and isn’t even trying to find a job. Forget being on the mortgage, the guy should just be glad OP hasn’t dumped the useless leech yet.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

keep punching joe posted:

I don't think you can have your name on the deed (in the UK) if you aren't responsible for the mortgage.

In the US you can. I'm on the mortgage solo because of wife's lack of credit while we're both on the deed.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SOME of us like to use subtext and implication

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Kitfox88 posted:

Can you link me to the story when you get a chance? I'm not finding it in a search.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

tactlessbastard posted:

Why? That's 5.5 hours of free babysitting. It's not like you have to stay there yourself.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

run on sentience posted:

Why? That's 5.5 hours of free babysitting. It's not like you have to stay there yourself.

This heavily depends on the ages of the kids and local culture. Near me, 7 is about the age where most parents are okay with just dropping them off but some might stay, and younger you usually have most or all of them sticking around.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Gimme half your house for free or you're financially abusive!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Can you link me to the story when you get a chance? I'm not finding it in a search.

It's not a link, but it was the guy who argued with his girlfriend about killing a spider because of HONOR.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for confronting my gf for lying?

quote:

Some background is required before I start the post. So my (M21) gf (F22) grew up in multiple foster homes. She is also white. When she was 15, she got pregnant by her boyfriend (M16 at the time) and her (at the time) foster father kicked her out of the home. She moved in with her boyfriend's parents. She ended up miscarrying and her boyfriend passed away when she was 17, but since she did not have a real family to go back to, she stayed with her ex's parents even after he passed.

We met at college and started dating before going home for the summer. She told me about all of this and I was sympathetic because this sounds like a very difficult thing to go through. The problem came when she wanted to introduce me to her family. I came over for dinner one night and found out that her family and ex are black. I have no issue with interracial relationships or black people, but she never mentioned this to me and I just assumed they were white.

I was super uncomfortable the entire time because of this. It was extremely awkward, and when I tried to leave after dinner she followed me out to ask if there was something wrong. I told her I did appreciate being lied to. She asked what I meant and I explained. She told me that she never claimed they weren't black and that I was being ridiculous. I explained that lying by omission is still lying, and then I did something that might make me the AH.

This started an argument and in the middle of the argument I told her that it is weird to consider them family without explaining that because nobody would ever look at them and assume she was part of their family. I know that was rude, but I was angry. She called me a racist piece of poo poo and told me to leave. I left and we didn't talk for a couple days. After telling my sister, she said that I was disrespectful and should apologize. I sent my gf a message saying we needed to talk about this and we can resolve it, but she won't answer it and it goes to voicemail every time I call. After what my sister said and realizing I came off as rude, I feel like I could be in the wrong here, so AITA?

you left the "ex" off of "gf" there, OP

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Foo Diddley posted:

oh my gooood

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Pomme de Terror posted:

When my longtime boyfriend decided to not work and lived off his parents for three years, I knew I needed to lock this poo poo down!

Presumably OP has been paying all the 'crazy' rent as well during this period.

^^ETA 'Come on babe, if we just talk like adults I'm sure together we can resolve the fact that your family is the wrong colour!'

Peg Sliderskew fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 6, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Akratic Method posted:

It's not a link, but it was the guy who argued with his girlfriend about killing a spider because of HONOR.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Foo Diddley posted:

I'm not racist, but and