Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

He pissed and moaned about not having enough bullets but has a truck full of cash back at the crib?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

He pissed and moaned about not having enough bullets but has a truck full of cash back at the crib?

Considering he himself got surprisingly close to breaking the current status quo of Russian governance, I'm not surprised he's got a "break glass in case of state collapse" stash he doesn't touch unless needed.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

he's a mercenary. using your own money is bad for business

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Having bullets and having a mobile supply chain capable of arming and equipping an army are two very different things.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Having bullets and having a mobile supply chain capable of arming and equipping an army are two very different things.

If video games have taught me anything, he's actually been speeding around in a jeep personally resupplying each logistics point, and occasionally getting ambushed by inept partisans.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Volmarias posted:

If video games have taught me anything, he's actually been speeding around in a jeep personally resupplying each logistics point, and occasionally getting ambushed by inept partisans.

The Mount and Blade series took an odd turn when they went modern

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Volmarias posted:

he gives a 20% increase in combat damage if he's one hex away

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
How many hexes was he away from Moscow?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://t.me/channel24_ua/95509

quote:

На Запорізькій АЕС поновили живлення з основною лінією електропередач на 750 кВ.

Тепер станцію живлять з двох ліній: основної на 750 кВ та резервної на 330 кВ.

Google posted:

At the Zaporizhzhia NPP, power was restored with the main power transmission line at 750 kV.

Now the station is powered by two lines: the main line at 750 kV and the backup line at 330 kV

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

2 weeks ago there was a video of Ukrainians clearing a trench. Pretty gruesome video. One of the last Russian soldiers they killed was wearing a dark blue shirt, and had a long, reddish beard. It was claimed he was some semi-famous war blogger.
Was that confirmed?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

OperaMouse posted:

2 weeks ago there was a video of Ukrainians clearing a trench. Pretty gruesome video. One of the last Russian soldiers they killed was wearing a dark blue shirt, and had a long, reddish beard. It was claimed he was some semi-famous war blogger.
Was that confirmed?

Of couse not

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...
With unconfirmable rumors that the US has sent a team to start negotiating peace with Russia, is there a possibility that the conflict, battles, and horrific loss of life end up largely irrelevant?

From a pure military standpoint, Russia is showing weakness.

But outside that, Russia seems to have strengthened ties with India and Russia, and global trade, supply chains and economies are messy.

It'd be wild if non military issues end up with much of Ukraine being given to Russia, despite their losses. I'm assuming Ukraine can't fight hardly at all without western aid, which is a flawed assumption.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

OperaMouse posted:

Was that confirmed?
it was someone else

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BillsPhoenix posted:

But outside that, Russia seems to have strengthened ties with India and Russia
Oh, word?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

BillsPhoenix posted:

With unconfirmable rumors that the US has sent a team to start negotiating peace with Russia, is there a possibility that the conflict, battles, and horrific loss of life end up largely irrelevant?

But outside that, Russia seems to have strengthened ties with India and Russia, and global trade, supply chains and economies are messy.

It'd be wild if non military issues end up with much of Ukraine being given to Russia, despite their losses. I'm assuming Ukraine can't fight hardly at all without western aid, which is a flawed assumption.

It would be wild if this post made a lick of sense :confused:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

BillsPhoenix posted:

link whatever source you're supposedly citing

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Russia has done the opposite of strengthening ties with Russia.

He'll, even their "strengthened" ties with the parts of the world that aren't treating them as a pariah are not better, Russia is fundamentally downgrading those relationships in order to get what support it can. It used to be a peer to China and patron to rogue states like Syria, Iran, or North Korea, now it's begging for handouts and surplus ammunition in return for cash and natural resources.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BillsPhoenix posted:

What in the hell are you talking about?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

Oh, word?

I'm sure they've also strengthened ties with Russia, and Russia

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Thinking its this thing which I saw in the GBS thread:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/former-us-officials-secret-ukraine-talks-russians-war-ukraine-rcna92610

Funny how these anonymous guys are referring to talks in April now. Like how the people in the talks are directly named too.

Not sure if this will go anywhere, but I feel like there's been an undercurrent of news signaling a desire to end this war in the news lately, similar to the Burns article about possible peace deal this year.

Whether this is a real desire of the actual people in charge, I don't know.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

BillsPhoenix posted:

Being relegated to a permanent junior partner and forced to spend billions reorienting supply chains is nor very enviable

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's true. You can buy overpriced South Korean ice cream and fizzy pop imported via Vladivostok in Belarus now. This is what the West was afraid of.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
E: never mind.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Libluini posted:

I'm sure they've also strengthened ties with Russia, and Russia
No doubt, no doubt...but where does Russia fit in with all this? That's the question we need to be asking.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

FMguru posted:

No doubt, no doubt...but where does Russia fit in with all this? That's the question we need to be asking.

Even this part is false considering one part of the Russian milatary staged a coup against the other part of the military last week.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

quote:

The discussions have taken place with the knowledge of the Biden administration, but not at its direction, with the former officials involved in the Lavrov meeting briefing the White House National Security Council afterward about what transpired, two of the sources said.

quote:

Aside from Lavrov on the Russian side, the discussions have involved academics, leaders from major think tanks or research institutes and others in the Russian foreign policy sphere perceived as having President Vladimir Putin’s ear or being in regular touch with Kremlin decision-makers, the sources said. The individuals declined to identify the Russian participants by name, citing concerns for their safety.

I know that back-channel communications are a thing but this does not exactly sound like a super serious push from anyone in charge. The "former officials" named are mostly a bunch of peace at any costs guys, which is such a complete 180 from the Biden administration's policy that I have a hard time believing that it signals official policy at all.

At the same time, I don't think there's anything sinister about a growing acknowledgment that the war will eventually reach a point of stalemate. Ukraine does not have unlimited manpower or materiel and while the west could ramp up arms shipments if the will was there, we can't exactly send the troops in without a massive escalation. And Russia obviously has pretty much tapped out most of its offensive maneuver capacity. So at some point both sides will be basically out of offensive potential. The articles about Burns's visit claimed that the Ukrainian government itself acknowledged as such, with the goal to achieve as advantageous a position as possible before that point.

To me, it seems likely that the "negotiators" went mostly of their own initiative to try to push a pro-appeasement agenda to maximize Russia's gains before they get chiseled down any further, and the Biden administration just shrugged because 1) they're private citizens and 2) whatever info they generate might be useful when things eventually get to the actual negotiating stage.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

BillsPhoenix posted:

I'm assuming Ukraine can't fight hardly at all without western aid, which is a flawed assumption.

Putting aside the weird theorycrafting that Russia having trade deals means Ukraine is gonna have to lose land (???), this sentence is gold

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

BillsPhoenix posted:

There’s no scoreboard in war. Whoever is able to control whatever is being fought over at the end wins. You can lose and lose and lose and have one big break, or circumstances can change, and you win.

That all being said, I wouldn’t count peace overtures as a sign Ukraine will lose. I’m sure talks are constantly going on to see what is possible.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

BillsPhoenix posted:

is there a possibility that the conflict, battles, and horrific loss of life end up largely irrelevant?

It doesn't matter if the war ends tomorrow or several years from now, Russia's invasion has upset the international order on par with the US invasion of Iraq and the fall of the Berlin Wall. Historians are going to divide early 21st century European history into "before" and "after" the war.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

BillsPhoenix posted:

This bizarro sentence structure keeps setting off strange deja vu recollections. Not of like a specific person, but a whole genre of JAQ-ery I know I've seen in multiple places

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

It doesn't matter if the war ends tomorrow or several years from now, Russia's invasion has upset the international order on par with the US invasion of Iraq and the fall of the Berlin Wall. Historians are going to divide early 21st century European history into "before" and "after" the war.

If nothing else Putin massively kickstarted the EU Federation program again by making it obvious that we need a joint defense structure that isn't 95% NATO, and the rest is Finns using whatever Sweden can sell to us in a hurry.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

With unconfirmable rumors that I sent a team to secure russia's surrender, it would be wild if most of russia is given to me. From a pure military standpoint, I have no military. But I've strengthened ties with Jeffrey, Koos, and Staluigi. I'm assuming that any of this post makes sense and is unprobateable, which is a flawed assumption.

Der Kyhe posted:

If nothing else Putin massively kickstarted the EU Federation program again by making it obvious that we need a joint defense structure that isn't 95% NATO, and the rest is Finns using whatever Sweden can sell to us in a hurry.

Yeah russia has ironically become the best at this sort of thing, revitalizing nato and encouraging strong European unity, murking its own sweet energy deals in the process

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

I don't know, we still have 26 years ahead of us for new "befores" and "afters" to arise. I'm not being flippant here - there is a clear pattern of crises popping up in shorter cycles and with arcs that sound increasingly unhinged if you told them to someone living in 1995.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I don't know, we still have 26 years ahead of us for new "befores" and "afters" to arise. I'm not being flippant here - there is a clear pattern of crises popping up in shorter cycles and with arcs that sound increasingly unhinged if you told them to someone living in 1995.

I guess you might find this true if you ignore all the genocides in the 90’s. It’s going to become the new ‘man weren’t the 50’s better’ for this generation of Americans and it’s going to be unfalsifiable bullshit like it’s been since human beings could communicate this kind of thought to one another.

Edit: and maybe you aren’t American but it feels like where a lot of us anchor this kind of thinking because it’s pre 9/11 and prior to the US embarking on its own genocidal bullshit

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 6, 2023

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Pope Hilarius II posted:

there is a clear pattern of crises popping up in shorter cycles and with arcs that sound increasingly unhinged if you told them to someone living in 1995.

I'm really not clear what you're trying to say here?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

i am a moron posted:

I guess you might find this true if you ignore all the genocides in the 90’s. It’s going to become the new ‘man weren’t the 50’s better’ for this generation of Americans and it’s going to be unfalsifiable bullshit like it’s been since human beings could communicate this kind of thought to one another.

Edit: and maybe you aren’t American but it feels like where a lot of us anchor this kind of thinking because it’s pre 9/11 and prior to the US embarking on its own genocidal bullshit

What time period was prior to the US embarking on genocidal bullshit though?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

^^^^^1491

So people think Europe is in a better place than when the war started? Even France and Italy?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

What time period was prior to the US embarking on genocidal bullshit though?

I meant the most recent series of military adventures in Iraq and Afghanistan that contemporary terminally online adults will remember. Obviously there isn’t really a pre-genocidal period in American history, just fits and bursts over the past couple hundred years

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

^^^^^1491

So people think Europe is in a better place than when the war started? Even France and Italy?

It really isn't, but the enemy operating on the background and destabilizing the area is now unmasked so its easier to start taking action against such harassment and the security threats they cause. I mean, we weren't far from a scenario where Germany and France tells the other EU partners to shut up and just take it when Russia invaded Ukraine. Even if half of the minor members were screaming about security concerns and about the creeping Russian future ventures, which they were already setting up at least in Moldova, Sweden and Finland which weren't NATO countries or under NATO prospect security guarantees at the time.

Moldova still isn't, but fortunately Ukraine held, so that cannot happen unless Russia somehow gets access to the Transnistria area again.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Cpt_Obvious posted:

^^^^^1491

Are things bad there? I dont have a good frame of reference and I feel like most people commenting on the state of europe dont actually live there