Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Speaking as someone who has done both MMO guildmastering and Discord server administration anyone who tries to do it for a sense of power and authority is both delusional and insane. The joke about herdings cats does not imply that the shepard is in charge or respected. Seriously trying to do it more than once should be recorded on a government database for possible antisocial personalities.

You almost always want the guy who has minimal intrest in leadership and just wants to get things done. Those guys who play political games always end with lord knows what going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
In that case I totally want to be a leader of the guild, definitely pick me, I will be really upset if I get passed over for this role.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

In that case I totally want to be a leader of the guild, definitely pick me, I will be really upset if I get passed over for this role.

Meh, I vote for you!

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Get you a guild leader who will initiate multiple votes to disband the guild cause they know we'll all fall for it one of these times.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Unhappy Meal posted:

Get you a guild leader who will initiate multiple votes to disband the guild cause they know we'll all fall for it one of these times.

There was a guild takeover in EvE online because they had just enough ownership to start a vote and no one else noticed or voted.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

I said come in! posted:

The new trailer is a scene for scene copy of the Dune part 2 trailer lol, even down to the dialog. It really drives home just how soulless New World is, and how it lacks any sort of identity.

It is so unimaginative, lore-wise so far feels like a trip to the frontier history museum - chop wood, hunt turkey... with goofy anime swords. I mean I get that's the aesthetic they went with, but when do the seven armies of hell begin to invade?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Lmao, New World loving sucks

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Interesting little video from Timothy Cain (Fallout dev) on their time with Carbine working on Wildstar and why they left: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMY5LUNdS-8

The content definitely has some new information that contests some of the details and comments made in the NerdSlayer "Death of a Game" series if you've seen that from years back. Looking at recent comments from NerdSlayer, it looks like they've noticed and might do an update video with this additional context? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru0dXDz9qoY

Bummer that Wildstar crashed and burned so hard as I thought the things it was doing with combat and multiple paths were quite interesting, but then again, I never got that far into it and judging from the common sentiment, it probably wasn't worth the investment and I dodged a bullet. Wonder what MMO is the closest to getting what it was going for with huge bosses and action combat and the like: maybe GW2? Tera? ESO?

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 6, 2023

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the rabbit had human earrings and rabbit ears

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Wildstar is oddly fascinating to me from a outsider looking at everything that went wrong, it really seemed like you had a MMO that probably wouldn't be a WoW killer, but was aping the art style and trying to make something that also felt good to move around in and explore and could probably exist as a small mmo in the shadow of WoW for sci-fi fantasy fans.

But it was just so mired in narcissistic egos that imploded it from within with openly hostile to the players developers and bugs on the scale of "oops you need to spend another 100 hours leveling another character and hope you don't randomly get bugged a second time" as the official fix.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Queuing up for the first real dungeon and being unable to get past the first trash pack since you had to coordinate 3 interrupts at the same time (lol interrupt armor) or get instantly wiped by trash mob casters was the day I stopped playing. Absolutely not how content meant to be done with randos should be designed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
people keep saying "well the art was good" but it just looked like worse ratchet and clank

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The art always looked like it was trying to copy the WoW cartoony style, which can age well if done right.

It surprises me nobody took the assets and engine and made an asia only knockoff.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 6, 2023

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Queuing up for the first real dungeon and being unable to get past the first trash pack since you had to coordinate 3 interrupts at the same time (lol interrupt armor) or get instantly wiped by trash mob casters was the day I stopped playing. Absolutely not how content meant to be done with randos should be designed.

I'm gonna take personal responsibility for trash mobs being broken since the first time they did a beta contest to earn invites for friends one of the criteria was number of mobs killed in dungeons. I just spammed the entrance with my warrior for a few hours while listening to podcasts and had some obscenely high number

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Man I got to experience another DOA MMO - Firefall a lot more than Wildstar during their simultaneous live period of 2014-2017. That era of peak WoW population when Blizz was still actively releasing expansions stifling any MMO competition was sure unforgiving.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The art always looked like it was trying to copy the WoW cartoony style, which can age well if done right.

I looked back at ROSE Online when it was mentioned and it still looks great if a bit sparse in places. Just up the packet and draw distance a bit.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Tim Cain's Wildstar post-mortem is wild:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMY5LUNdS-8

The funniest bit so far is him getting into such a big beef with the art director that the art director tried to remove the entire esper class without telling anyone until a meeting?

edit: lol at a meeting so bad that four leads quit.

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 6, 2023

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's so funny because recalling the esper class, it probably would have been unusually art-intensive (I remember its abilities had little semi-transparent objects that would be summoned) so it probably could have had the amount of work cut down without literally trying to slice it up. And not for nothing, if NCSoft came back and said everything looked like dogshit it seems like they probably had a real resource shortage on the art side. But what a goddamn psycho.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I still want Wildstar to come back.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
As someone who works in tech that video is just so relatable. You run into irrational actors in key positions constantly, and if whoever the overall supervisor is lacks leadership qualities, like it seems was the case here, the whole project is just hosed.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The art director must of had connections if he wasn't fired.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I only played Wildstar up to like level 25 or 30 I think. There were some aspects I absolutely loved, like the secondary class mechanic.. explorer, or soldier or whatever they were called. I love it when MMOs have little platforming puzzles. I'd love to play again some day, if only for the fact that I barely remember it at all. Like a void came in and deleted 99% of it from my brain.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I remember Wildstar having a good soundtrack, some great animations, and decent housing. I don’t remember a whole lot about the gameplay except getting to my twenties or so and thinking it was too much of a grind and getting boring.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The art director must of had connections if he wasn't fired.

Naw my brief experience in the game industry is that nobody's ever willing to fire anyone above lead so whoever's willing to be the biggest psychopath gets what they want because their boss doesn't want to exacerbate things. The assumption is that the bigger psycho will flip out if they don't get their way and the normal person will just take it so why wouldn't you give the psycho what they want?

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

LuckyCat posted:

I only played Wildstar up to like level 25 or 30 I think. There were some aspects I absolutely loved, like the secondary class mechanic.. explorer, or soldier or whatever they were called. I love it when MMOs have little platforming puzzles. I'd love to play again some day, if only for the fact that I barely remember it at all. Like a void came in and deleted 99% of it from my brain.

This is basically my exact experience, but I think I was only around level 19 or 20. I remember a snowy starting zone, a sort of red dryland second zone and I remember what my character looked like,

That's about it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
lol global agenda is back by accident

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

my most vivid memories of wildstar are:

a) a former friend having ncsoft remove the entitlement from his account and wouldn't put it back and said to buy it again on a new account
b) the massive terrible raid attunement that would break and the only recompense was "do it again", as per support
c) the built in ui lua for nameplates would crash the game all the time
d) avelyn playing it like two months after release and being in queue for a dungeon as a healer for over six hours

oh and e) that one lovely raid designer peeking on raids and adjusting things on the fly so the raid wouldn't get cleared too early and then when a group finally did clear it he posted the loving easy congrats gif

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I think it was that Wildstar raid attunement picture that made me question, for the first time ever, if MMOs are really for me anymore.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

I think it was that Wildstar raid attunement picture that made me question, for the first time ever, if MMOs are really for me anymore.

It makes me so mad because like, there's absolutely nothing about MMOs inherently that requires dumb bullshit like that, or endless grinding, or a pointless leveling experience meant to pad time before the real meat of the endgame, or a billion other loving awful pieces of "game design" that end up in every big MMO because of grognard inertia and that's how EQ and WoW did things so it must be the only way.

gently caress all of that noise and give me an actually good game that happens to have a huge persistent world and a lot of player interactivity.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Third World Reagan posted:

lol global agenda is back by accident

Global Agenda loving ruled, except all of the MMO parts.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I remember Wildstar having a good soundtrack, some great animations, and decent housing. I don’t remember a whole lot about the gameplay except getting to my twenties or so and thinking it was too much of a grind and getting boring.

The housing seemed to be everyones favorite part. I loved that you got your own little private space, and that you could change the size of all objects, and there were a lot of them, and it allowed for a lot of creativity and flexibility. There were basically no limits to what you could do with your space. You got a house, plus a small plot of lot to decorate how you saw fit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cardboard Fox posted:

It made me realize that most MMORPGs, never needed to be MMORPGs to begin with. Games like Wildstar could just as easily just been offline single player games.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Wildstar had the worst marketing with the whole 'this is a harcore mmo for hardcore no-life raiders, you CUPCAKE' stuff.

jokes posted:

Global Agenda loving ruled, except all of the MMO parts.

I liked that game. I remember having some sort of gently caress-off tank hold-the-objective class/build/whatever that usually won the day in every match I was in because everybody else was running around as ninjas or something.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I liked to play as the turret-building thing and lazily win every match because nobody knows how to destroy turrets.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

I have a chart detailing the whole thing but it is too big (864 x 7304) to be uploaded...and so is the "winner" gif :(

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

kirbysuperstar posted:

my most vivid memories of wildstar are:

b) the massive terrible raid attunement that would break and the only recompense was "do it again", as per support

correction: the only recompense was "make a whole new character, yours is busted"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ad by Khad posted:

correction: the only recompense was "make a whole new character, yours is busted"

right yeah that's what I meant, sorry. re-roll, cupcake what are you too soft to attune twice or thrice

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I played wildstar.

I logged in, ran around for about 4 hours. Sat on a mushroom?. Logged out and never came back

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

edit: lol at a meeting so bad that four leads quit.

I may be misremembering but I joined the company shortly after this happened and people kept referring to it as the Red Wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wildstar looked awful but I've never been a fan of cartoony poo poo. I know it ages better than other art styles but it's never been for me.

Give me a Culture MMO.