Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 02, 2001)

Sure is hard out there for pasty white guys who can't say the n-word. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Sure is hard out there for pasty white guys who can't say the n-word. :jerkbag:
I don't think we're supposed to be sympathizing with the guy on the left.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

That's a pretty good one.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Zereth posted:

I don't think we're supposed to be sympathizing with the guy on the left.

I know, and Arlo has a pretty good reaction to it. I'm reacting to that type of guy.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

...I don't actually know the answer to that one. I always thought big shoe, but now that I'm thinking of it, I have no actual basis for that.

You win this round, Jeffy. :argh:

Slylock Fox

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I know, and Arlo has a pretty good reaction to it. I'm reacting to that type of guy.
Fair :hmmyes:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "122 - Jucika Goes On Vacation"

"vasútállomás = train station, italbolt = liquor store"

"123 - Jucika's Summer" NSFW Nudity

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Some Guy TT posted:

Now this is why I'm so hard on modern Popeye's version of Pappy- the interpretation of him being a well-meaning but obnoxious sailor is just a lot more interesting and funny than his being a generic Bad Dad.

Olive & Popeye, featuring Generic Bad Dad.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 25, 1935)

Peanuts (July 8, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 8, 1940)

Out Our Way (March 26-28, 1942)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7h4Aey-99E

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So I just realized that my interpretation of Choi Kwan as "Left-handy" is actually wrong. The syllable "왼" is usually interpreted as "left" in the context of arms but can also be read as meaning "no" arm. This whole time I thought "Left-handy" was supposed to be an ironic nickname and it's only the page I'm working on right now where I saw it in a context that it could be read another way. Some of this might have been wishful thinking on my part, since "Left-handy" is a more easily parsed term than "No-army" which is what I should have been using.

For extra fun, the core word "외" is also the same word that's used to describe the Demons of Baseball themselves (외인). I didn't make the same mistake there because "baseball team of left people" obviously makes no sense, so an interpretation of out or beyond seemed more logical. Strange to think that this whole time I'd never run into the Korean word for a guy with a missing arm before, or at least long enough for me to really think about it anyway. For the sake of continuity, I think I'm stuck with the nickname interpretation in contexts where it makes sense, namely informal social situations as opposed to announcements.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

how long is this trip supposed to be??? or is this a comic run-time joke

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I don't know what to think of Crabgrass going all in on these suburban magical realism arcs. It's certainly a highly specific niche that no one else is doing right now, but it's really wrecking my sense of what is or is not supposed to be plausible in the worldbuilding given that the kids are otherwise presented as having entirely mundane kid interests.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LvK fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 6, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuNaegwHnGo

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Some Guy TT posted:

I don't know what to think of Crabgrass going all in on these suburban magical realism arcs. It's certainly a highly specific niche that no one else is doing right now, but it's really wrecking my sense of what is or is not supposed to be plausible in the worldbuilding given that the kids are otherwise presented as having entirely mundane kid interests.

I generally like them, though I feel like this story arc is kinda losing me a bit.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I've decided I don't like the new look or storytelling in crabgrass as much as the previous of either

It's still an above average strip, I just think it lost some charm for me personally

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

we'll see where this one goes in the end, but I have to admit that I'm loving how he took the one strip that he has redone a few times to spin out a story about the Deep Lore of the neighbourhood.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Crabgrass had Mascotland already so modern magical antics isn't a bad direction to take. I am agreed on this current arc running a bit long but maybe the new kids will deliver the explanation and all four will act and give us a climax in the next week or two. :v:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Doomykins posted:

Crabgrass had Mascotland already so modern magical antics isn't a bad direction to take. I am agreed on this current arc running a bit long but maybe the new kids will deliver the explanation and all four will act and give us a climax in the next week or two. :v:

Don't forget kids with mutant powers and the genius helmet from last summer. Though that might have been re-worked into a dream.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

look I do not think making light of homelessness is a very good premise for a comic strip

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

The Lighter Side of Undiagnosed ADHD

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Seems like an awful fast turnaround from “street punk” to “detective” but OK.

After School Ghost Stories

My not translating the sound effect might make it a little unclear, but Viewpoint Guy accidentally punched the telephone pole.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Crabgrass is cute and fun and I enjoy it, but yeah I only got two complaints: the arcs go on a little too long and it also seems kind of inconsistent about being set in the 80s. I can't cite any specific strip, I just feel like there have been more than a few anachronisms

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I thought Bondia was clear about picking and choosing his favorite aspects of the 80s, 90s, and 2000s.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

You're still near the ocean. Go to the motel. Make the best of it. You'll have a story to tell when you get home.

Luann

"Gee whiz, Bets, I liked it better when you were the only one inconveniencing herself for the sake of our relationship"

Gil Thorp

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

And thus ends another exciting adventure of Mandrake the Magician!
This really should have been the joke and I don't see how he missed it.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

*pumps shotgun*

The Phantom

Think they'll kill off the chief's son?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Gun 'em down Mary.

"I saw smoke and got out of my car to see the train wreckage that happened within the last few hours/yesterday. Anyway I know that stuff was leaking for days before I was in the area and that the police/train authorities did it intentionally." It's cool you know all that stuff Rex, been reading the script?

I'd hate to make even my pedantic rear end reread New Trail but I wonder how many times Jules has just had somebody exposition dump the entire plot of an arc instead of doing literally any set up. And I guess backgrounds are the latest casualty of rushing the art.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 16: Hell on Wheels Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Billie certainly has some powers. Who else could get Reverend Penrose to sniff a tailpipe? It’s no one’s idea of a good time.

Four pages next week as part one concludes!

The_Other fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 7, 2023

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

1. They really sent those kids to juvie.
2. I thought Thorp's former assistant coach was leaving for another school, or a lower-grade coaching position at the same school, not being a cop.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

That school to prison pipeline ain't gonna feed itself

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

look I do not think making light of homelessness is a very good premise for a comic strip

No kidding. These suck.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Vargo posted:

Curtis

I'm tempted to stop posting Curtis until the turtles resume.

I like seeing flashes of great cartooning in Curtis so I just want to recognize that 'let's go play at the abandoned glass factory' is a good punchline.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

I don't think highly consistent worldbuilding is or should be the number one priority of most newspaper comic strips. I think it's just a fun thing the writer enjoys. I certainly would have loved it as a kid more than another 'kids in the suburbs' strip. Also the fact that it's seemingly real world kids encountering these strange things and they have normal relateable kid interests is like... A kidlit staple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

don Jaime posted:

No kidding. These suck.

at least it's funnier than home free, on account of actually having punchlines