Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Lister posted:

If the questline takes a couple of hours and the new dungeon gets old after 5-10 runs, then yeah, it's not a lot. Lack of interesting uniques is the biggest issue right now.

There's 6 new uniques, but they didn't show any.

The tunnels are also multiple dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Barely an improvement imo.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Lister posted:

If the questline takes a couple of hours and the new dungeon gets old after 5-10 runs, then yeah, it's not a lot. Lack of interesting uniques is the biggest issue right now.

Yeah this is a fair point I agree but things take time so I'm not too fussed. Especially as a person who plays these games in brief bursts at the beginning of each season and inevitably gets bored. So from my perspective it's cool but I can see how people might be underwhelmed.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

so its D3 gems and some campaign boss that will flop in 10 seconds and never be seen again?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They said you earn about 3/4 of the cost of the next season's BP is you fully complete it.

looks like you get 666 currency (because of course)

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

assuming the standard battle pass is $15, are they gonna try and charge $55 for the premium one?

that would be loving insane

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

SettingSun posted:

6 new uniques and 7 new aspects. Assuming even distribution each class has a single new unique to mess with and one neutral.

Yeah mostly this. Maybe the uniques and aspects are amazing and build defining enough to elevate some skills that currently suck rear end but I'm not holding my breath

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Mailer posted:

Game devs are basically Samus - every new game all previous knowledge is lost and they have to do all the bad things again.
You know, they kept saying "oh, the game's only been out a month, give us a break" as though that somehow excuses them from ignoring a decade of learning from D3 and PoE. To say nothing of learning from D2.

Maybe they had to rush the game out because reasons or whatever, but it's still a lovely excuse and they shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Shredder posted:

assuming the standard battle pass is $15, are they gonna try and charge $55 for the premium one?

Do you know blizzard at all?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Shredder posted:

the standard pass is 10bux, accelerated one is $20

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I'm a bit disappointment with the reveal today tbh. I know Diablo is not PoE and I should expect similar level of complexity to Diablo 3 really with seasons, but for now I'm finding the whole theorycrafting experience underwhelming for my builds. I thought Season 1 would fix that but it looks like it's offering very little in terms of new additions. New system is basically "cooler gems".

Technically Season 1 is the one when they'd have most time to implement everything. So besides getting it out, I'm sure they've been working on head starts for Season 2, 3 ... etc - still, it doesn't feel like it offers much in terms of new additions.

Also, am I right that prior to D4 release, seasons were touted as continuation of the story, not sidequests happening in the same universe? I don't mind either tbh - it's just not what I was expecting.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Shredder posted:

Bruh where the hell did you pluck any of these numbers from lol

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I loving hate that they spent as much, if not more time talking about the loving battlepass than they did talking about the actual seasonal content

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

kaaj posted:

Also, am I right that prior to D4 release, seasons were touted as continuation of the story, not sidequests happening in the same universe? I don't mind either tbh - it's just not what I was expecting.

No you have it backwards, Seasons will have standalone questlines and expansions will have a continuation of the story

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Bruh where the hell did you pluck any of these numbers from lol

normally a battlepass is 15 bux or so

it says right there 1 tier skip is 2 bucks

20 skips = 40 bucks

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
'from my butt and butt hole' got it

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Battlepasses have a range from $5 for a month long pass like in D:I to $20 for a 4 month pass in hearthstone. The most common I've ever seen is $10 for about 3 months.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bio347 posted:

You know, they kept saying "oh, the game's only been out a month, give us a break"

that was lowkey so goddamn funny. equivalent to begging off with "hey guys come on it's my birthday don't pick on me, im just a lil guy"

I'm still working my way into the 4th fuckin act of the game so it doesn't affect me much but I can see other people being a bit nonplussed. that being said I think future seasons will be more comprehensible + more stuff will get patched in terms of balance. The first balance patch only buffing poo poo was a good sign, make the lesser skills more fun and do more for Basic "builders" and it'll work out fine

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Tonetta posted:

they only shown the core mechanic and a trailer, then went on to do q&a. if they did more, it got memory holed due to a dev's lapse of judgement about their first colonoscopy

between the colon cancer jokes and calling one of the critical seasonal items "the turkey baster from hell" it was pretty grim, but not in the cool Diablo way :chloe: was expecting a producer to vaudeville hook them off stage

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

bio347 posted:

You know, they kept saying "oh, the game's only been out a month, give us a break" as though that somehow excuses them from ignoring a decade of learning from D3 and PoE. To say nothing of learning from D2.

Maybe they had to rush the game out because reasons or whatever, but it's still a lovely excuse and they shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place.

I don't know how much you've been following things but tbh they've addressed pretty much every complaint people have had with either a patch or at minimum an acknowledgement that the problem exists. I'll grant that in some cases we could be dealing with hot air but the track record for responding to feedback has been excellent. I definitely don't expect anyone to carry water for them but their willingness to engage with a wildly vocal and divided fanbase and improve things has been stellar from the jump. Not saying they're flawless but they've avoided nerfs, had a rock solid launch, improved things during the beta, and are putting out a much beefier season than I'd have gambled on, especially considering the troubled development of the game.

I think it's worth remembering that a certain pending acquisition is on the horizon, and if nothing else you definitely wouldn't want to start that relationship with a floundering service game.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

My biggest hope for these streams going forward is they keep Rod off the panel. He's useless and he interrupts with stupid jokes whenever the devs are getting to the good parts. He actively plays defense against the entire crew and just makes everything worse.

The host is useless too.

Just give me the two devs/design leads talking about the game. Everything else is bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Or don't do livestreams at all and just post the drat news.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Shredder posted:

normally a battlepass is 15 bux or so

it says right there 1 tier skip is 2 bucks

20 skips = 40 bucks

My uncle works at Blizzard and he told me it was going to cost $60 a week.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ehud posted:

My biggest hope for these streams going forward is they keep Rod off the panel. He's useless and he interrupts with stupid jokes whenever the devs are getting to the good parts. He actively plays defense against the entire crew and just makes everything worse.

The host is useless too.

Just give me the two devs/design leads talking about the game. Everything else is bad.

yeah reading through https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23967322/malignance-runs-rampant-in-the-first-season-of-diablo-iv it's wild how much of that info was not coherently communicated during the stream. or like they started and promptly got interrupted

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

zoux posted:

Or don't do livestreams at all and just post the drat news.

Yeah they're never not embarrassing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

These are a bunch of awkward nerds with no communication skills and social anxiety, do not put a camera on them

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

just get david letterman to host the next dev stream

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah reading through https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23967322/malignance-runs-rampant-in-the-first-season-of-diablo-iv it's wild how much of that info was not coherently communicated during the stream. or like they started and promptly got interrupted

it's wild how much they missed because Rod was talking about his rear end and messing up the camera shots and stuff

zoux posted:

These are a bunch of awkward nerds with no communication skills and social anxiety, do not put a camera on them

the weird thing to me is, the devs with the information are decent enough at conveying what they need to.

it's the executive and social media guy who are so terrible

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm glad season 1 doesn't sound that exciting because by the time I'm done with my current stuff I don't think I'll be wanting to play another hundred hours of diablo for a good while.

Mikojan posted:

I loving hate that they spent as much, if not more time talking about the loving battlepass than they did talking about the actual seasonal content

They've confused (as devs and publishers often do) "players spend a bunch of money on this stuff" with "players are excited about this stuff". People don't want the battlepass itself, the battle pass is something they buy to make the other stuff more entertaining/easier/brain worm pleasing, but they are AAA video game people so their brains are even more broken than ours and they very fundamentally do not understand anything.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

so should I bother 100%ing everything and hitting max level before this season? I've been on vacation and definitely haven't done all that

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

CBD Corndog posted:

looks like you get 666 currency (because of course)

lmao, nice, enough platinum to buy half of one of the cheaper cosmetics, which you'd have to spend money to get the rest of anyway.

kaaj posted:

I'm a bit disappointment with the reveal today tbh. I know Diablo is not PoE and I should expect similar level of complexity to Diablo 3 really with seasons, but for now I'm finding the whole theorycrafting experience underwhelming for my builds. I thought Season 1 would fix that but it looks like it's offering very little in terms of new additions. New system is basically "cooler gems".

Technically Season 1 is the one when they'd have most time to implement everything. So besides getting it out, I'm sure they've been working on head starts for Season 2, 3 ... etc - still, it doesn't feel like it offers much in terms of new additions.

Lol, you should expect way more than D3s seasons, considering they have said time and time again that D4 seasons would have significantly more. Whoops.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Ehud posted:

the weird thing to me is, the devs with the information are decent enough at conveying what they need to.

it's the executive and social media guy who are so terrible

Exactly, just get an engineer on camera that spits out bullet points of the changes

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Ehud posted:

This is a Diablo game that sold a squillion copies. It's Blizzard's best selling game ever. They're not going to make it as complicated as POE. It needs to have mass appeal.

This thread is weird. 330 pages making GBS threads all over the end game seasons of Diablo 3 not being expansive like POE with many new things to do.

They announce end game for Diablo 4 seasons is Diablo 3 and people are super excited to not have much content.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

The next one has to be pre-recorded and streamlined. I am cringing so much at every single attempted joke. People just want the content.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

so should I bother 100%ing everything and hitting max level before this season? I've been on vacation and definitely haven't done all that

No, just get all your map stuff and all the altars. Oh and complete the campaign.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

zoux posted:

Make em purple

I've had the same thought every time I make kool-aid and that I wish I could naturally just change what color they are by default. I'd have so many colors.

Or a filter that changed the color of a drop based on what stats it has that we can set up completely. It's probably a bit much, but seeing a green purple beam/icon for two stats I'm after would be super cool and nice.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If there's one thing I really like PoE for, it's its fully configurable expression-based loot filter.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Last Epoch's system is friendlier imo but PoE's can do crazy poo poo, like hook into real-time auction prices

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like the linear story with waypoints of PoE more than the far cry style open world, also mounts are dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inset
Sep 20, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Vashro posted:

very disappointed that my HC statues aren't going to carry over from the hall of fallen heros

your deeds of valor will not be remembered