Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Tbh the thought that PoE seasons are overly complex is misleading. PoE is overly complex because you have like 7(?) years of seasonal content to wade through.

PoE seasons on its own are actually pretty comprehensive and easy to learn, and open to deep diving if you are into that.

So yes, D4 seasons should definitely be as complex as PoE seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mikojan posted:

Tbh the thought that PoE seasons are overly complex is misleading. PoE is overly complex because you have like 7(?) years of seasonal content to wade through.

PoE seasons on its own are actually pretty comprehensive and easy to learn, and open to deep diving if you are into that.

So yes, D4 seasons should definitely be as complex as PoE seasons

This is just not true.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

zoux posted:

Syndicate?

Syndicate is an outlier and still isn't even hard to grasp.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

zoux posted:

No, just get all your map stuff and all the altars. Oh and complete the campaign.

K sounds good, I'm almost done the campaign and will do altars and map exploration the next couple weeks

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Maybe a lot of you people should just loving go play POE and nothing else until the sun explodes, since that's the only loving game yall want to talk about in this, the Diablo(not POE) thread.
Goddamn yall whine too much.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Maybe a lot of you people should just loving go play POE and nothing else until the sun explodes, since that's the only loving game yall want to talk about in this, the Diablo(not POE) thread.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nothing more normal and cool than having a meltdown at people talking about Diablo 4 seasons in the context of the other ARPG with seasons

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gettin mad makes you look weak

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

wow okay im just asking lil baby questions!!!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

new thread title

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hell toupee is too good of a title to pass up still imo

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Philthy posted:

This thread is weird. 330 pages making GBS threads all over the end game seasons of Diablo 3 not being expansive like POE with many new things to do.

They announce end game for Diablo 4 seasons is Diablo 3 and people are super excited to not have much content.

This is completely false, if you had read the thread at all you would know it's 330 pages of people hurling insults at each other for playing the game too much, too little, too poorly or too well

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

This is just not true.

How? What season is overly complex?

The only thing that is considered complex, imo, is the endgame sigils and moving the colored dots on the map to unlock more map. That's not a season mechanic, that's the endgame, and it is extremely complex the first time figuring it out.

Everything else, like the endless delves, the challenge rings, the creature collections, etc - they're all incredibly simple and fun as hell to do. And entirely optional.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm furiously subdividing my time for s1 launch week to see if I can beat the 200 hours in 3 weeks guy.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
2 weeks*

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

didn't they say a patch was coming out today as well? When will we see info for that?

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

SettingSun posted:

I'm furiously subdividing my time for s1 launch week to see if I can beat the 200 hours in 3 weeks guy.

You can only do this if you have a great job and a great life though. If you don’t it’s just sad.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oh no. I have to redo my math...

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Philthy posted:

The only thing that is considered complex, imo, is the endgame sigils and moving the colored dots on the map to unlock more map. That's not a season mechanic, that's the endgame, and it is extremely complex the first time figuring it out.

yeah it was not great but you don't have to do it anymore

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

They should patch Rogue and give the class more traps like punji mantraps and home alone 2 "brick drops on your head" traps

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Vashro posted:

the campaign carries over to HC along with the mount. The map and the shrines do not. it sounded like you will also need the character who visited the shrines to be alive on the 18th to upload the status.
Are they going to do that status check every season? If so, I guess my level 50 HC sorcerer with full map and shrines gets to retire to Sanctuary-Florida, never to do anything interesting ever again.

So strange that they won't count progress previously obtained by now-dead characters.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Ersatz posted:

Are they going to do that status check every season? If so, I guess my level 50 HC sorcerer with full map and shrines gets to retire to Sanctuary-Florida, never to do anything interesting ever again.

So strange that they won't count progress previously obtained by now-dead characters.

The way they talked about it sounds like you just have to log in with a character once after the patch on the 18th and then your progress will migrate forever.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
if your hc char died you can still make a different new character with all of that poo poo, so why would it be different on the 18th

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Verviticus posted:

if your hc char died you can still make a different new character with all of that poo poo, so why would it be different on the 18th

It might work for the altars, but you wouldn't have all the map revealed for sure.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

M. Night Skymall posted:

The way they talked about it sounds like you just have to log in with a character once after the patch on the 18th and then your progress will migrate forever.
Sweet. Alright, said sorcerer is instead just taking a vacation.

Sucks for people who lost their character though.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

SettingSun posted:

Yeah that was me. Good luck to you. Nothing announced today looked interesting at all. BG3 comes out at the end of the month and that apparently takes 200h, lets see if I can beat that in 2 weeks too. :smug:

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Verviticus posted:

progress doesnt carry over characters atm rigth? My HC dude ripped and making a new one just has renown at 0 and areas undiscovered / altars unclicked

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Instead of deleting HC chars they should let them roam around as a new Ghost class that can only interact with other players in the PvP zones. Like you could log in to D2 and show up as a robed wraith in the chat rooms.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Zotix posted:

Yeah that was me. Good luck to you. Nothing announced today looked interesting at all. BG3 comes out at the end of the month and that apparently takes 200h, lets see if I can beat that in 2 weeks too. :smug:

You can leave the thread.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Philthy posted:

How? What season is overly complex?

Everything else, like the endless delves, the challenge rings, the creature collections, etc - they're all incredibly simple and fun as hell to do. And entirely optional.

Are labs optional

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Zotix posted:

post through it my guy u can do this

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

SettingSun posted:

Hell toupee is too good of a title to pass up still imo

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Mr Beens posted:

People convincing themselves that t5 was coming in season 1 just because of the datamine was always a big stretch.

yeah I recognize it was always pure copium. my logic behind it was there is a huge gap between when ancestral gear starts dropping, and lilleth, where you're really just farming xp for 20-25 levels, which also accounts for like 70% or so of the total xp required to 100. it just doesn't make sense for the final tier of upgrading to have a band that large, unless you plan on adding on another tier of loot relatively quickly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mikojan posted:

progress doesnt carry over characters atm rigth? My HC dude ripped and making a new one just has renown at 0 and areas undiscovered / altars unclicked

drat that really is hardcore

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

zoux posted:

Are labs optional

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So I'm brand new to the Diablo Series. I vaaaaguely remember Diablo 2 but for, whatever reason, it was never a big part of my gaming kinda...past I guess?
Now, I played A LOT of Path of Exile. I've loved it, played on and off for a number of years.

So shooting of Diablo 4, it is easy to tell. Yeah. PoE is a couple clone of the Diablo series. 100%
But....it's also like. PoE has always been free (PoE 2 is coming out soonish and I know nothing about that) and like. So

As someone not tied to either game from like a "lore perspective" but knowing the game style..which one am I liking better?
Who has the better QoL stuff?

Yeah, Diablo looks better. I'm trying a Druid right now. Got to like lvl....6 when I came here.

And.....the voice actors for the NPC's? Loving em so far. Love the look.

Voice actress for the Female Druid?
Terrible.
Good god.
WTF terrible.

Am I crazy? Does she get better? If not, I'm going to have to reroll, I do not care for it and I can't tell if i'm crazy

edit: Is there not a way to have the Chest and clickable stuff on the ground (containers) like....have their names appear over them w/ out hovering over them? Like, all items on the ground always show sorta thing?
Because I cannot find that

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Swilo posted:

between the colon cancer jokes and calling one of the critical seasonal items "the turkey baster from hell" it was pretty grim, but not in the cool Diablo way :chloe: was expecting a producer to vaudeville hook them off stage

they "joked" about turning his mic off twice but i wish they just did. that would have been pretty sick actually

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Tiny Timbs posted:

Nothing more normal and cool than having a meltdown at people talking about Diablo 4 seasons in the context of the other ARPG with seasons

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

What am I looking at here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I didn't watch the livestream and it sounds like that was the correct move.

Season stuff sounds okay. I expect them to get more ambitious as time goes on.

Some people expressed that PoE has too much going on with bombarding new players with a bunch of seasonal mechanics while they are just trying to make their way through the story. I really don't see why they couldn't just make D4 seasonal stuff disabled for anyone who is still playing through the campaign. By the time you get to level ~50 and are in the post-game exploring WT3 and beyond, anyone still playing will *want* to see a mountain of crazy new activities to explore.

I think throwing away 80% of your ongoing live-service content development is probably a bad idea in the long term! I understand that it was typical for D3 seasons to do gimmicky stuff that was explicitly never intended to become a part of the game permanently, but D3's seasonal support was also done by a skeleton crew and coming up with crazy game-breaking ideas that only have to live in the game for a few months is a lot easier than adding quality content that is intended to harmonize with the rest of your big complicated machine.

I don't know if they explicitly said that they were not planning on keeping the malignant heart whatever stuff past season 1 or if that was just something that people are intuiting, but I think it would be a big mistake for them to design season content without intent to retain the successful mechanics permanently. PoE's myriad problems with new player retention go far beyond how seasonal mechanics are presented and D4 need not step in the same exact potholes if they try to make content permanent as well.