Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

hard to believe in america but trains should stay on the rails

Okay, but what if we put the rails in the sky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Threads probably isn't that much worse than Twitter. People just have good memories on Twitter and want it to be good again, but this is the endpoint of all of these things.

i'm sorry but i have to push back. this isn't nostalgia, twitter was objectively better before musk hosed it up. you could poo poo on it for causing people to be online addicts and it was still too lenient on the fash crowd, but on at least one metric, it was leagues better: curating tweets that you actually wanted to see. i've bitched about it before, but at least 80% of my feed on the "for you" page is full of rightwing dipshits. and the other 20% are filled with like 5 of same people that i happen to like over and over again. there are people i used to see all the time who i haven't seen in weeks, sometimes even months.

it is an objectively worse site now than at any point before musk took over

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

SyRauk posted:

Meanwhile, we just upped our Ad budget on LinkedIn/TikTok because it is killing it for our lead generation, and audience growth has soared in the last few years.

:confused: WTF target market do you have that LinkedIn and TikTok are your best ways to reach them? Influencers who really want to break into B2B sales? Recruiters who target the lucrative community theatre/dance market? Self-help gurus who praise Hitler's go-getter attitude and have to append "not financial advice" to everything they post?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

linkedin sucks so bad. i hate it

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Make Zuck fight the hardcore street lawyers Elon hired to settle the Threads dispute.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

is Threads fully running or is it in beta like blue sky?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm sorry but i have to push back. this isn't nostalgia, twitter was objectively better before musk hosed it up. you could poo poo on it for causing people to be online addicts and it was still too lenient on the fash crowd, but on at least one metric, it was leagues better: curating tweets that you actually wanted to see. i've bitched about it before, but at least 80% of my feed on the "for you" page is full of rightwing dipshits. and the other 20% are filled with like 5 of same people that i happen to like over and over again. there are people i used to see all the time who i haven't seen in weeks, sometimes even months.

unironically fully agree

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mr. Lobe posted:

do you think you can make online purchases with cash?

why would do that when I can go to a place with absolutely no data footprint and someone else’s credit card?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

is Threads fully running or is it in beta like blue sky?
Yes and no. It's fully up but it's clearly half baked

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 369 days!

omg :elongate:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

all anyone had to do was make a general feed in reverse chronological order, and then a separate tab with general topics and trends to subscribe to that shows you more general stuff based on whatever people tweet, and that might be where you can jam ads if you want

Doesn't sound very disruptive to me, you are going to have a hard time getting funded.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/emoswaggy/status/1676744730179149824

they had ONE loving job

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

eXXon posted:

Make Zuck fight the hardcore street lawyers Elon hired to settle the Threads dispute.

Zuck and Elon in side-scrolling adventure Double Flagon

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

yeah, make a Twitter clone

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

this is why i can't get a job in product

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

the problem seems inseparable from what big $$$ is willing to tolerate; i.e., anybody rich enough to fund a wide-reaching, stable twitter clone has absolutely zero desire to create a platform that *isn't* designed to shove advertiser and ruling class garbage down everybody's throats

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
they were never gonna let you see what you want to follow because that never made twitter any money. So they basically created an app that is basically all ads all the time

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dear Mr. Zuckerberg:

Don't Thread on Me

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

Yeah I'm comparing current twitter with threads. Musk sped up the process but the endpoint for all of these services is bad because it's the only way they can find to monetize the idea sufficiently

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1677052182489595905?t=nCQa9s6x7X7GKtCvmGWjyA&s=19
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1677042708756439041?t=EnVxb4o36FBpPGnCGn9tVA&s=19

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

*insert largest shocked pickachu gif in existence*

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

LGD posted:

unironically fully agree

Seems fair, honestly. One decent climax is a small price to pay for a whole soul.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 369 days!

what does "cheating" even supposed to mean in this context

does elons mom need to step in and fix this

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

hmm threads more like bads

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This is how Tiktok works right? Seems weird to copy that model for a Twitter clone.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

is it Alex Spiro that's notoriously a terrible lawyer and a huge conspiracy theorist that advised Elon to fire a bunch of people without cause because they were too chicken to sue, or am I thinking of another nutjob in Musk's orbit

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

twitter

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

threads

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

bl;uesky

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

piss

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

can i have a piss signup please

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

This is how Tiktok works right? Seems weird to copy that model for a Twitter clone.

does tiktok work that way? i consistently see people i follow on that app. in fact, it's algorithm seems to be one of the best i've seen at curating things you actually wanna see

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

does tiktok work that way? i consistently see people i follow on that app. in fact, it's algorithm seems to be one of the best i've seen at curating things you actually wanna see

drat lets get the chinese to make a text based app

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Elon Musk has banned multiple users for writing violent fanfiction about him and his family on corporate Slack

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Fight is back on boys!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
competition is just another form of cheating

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
zucc explodes musk's head in one punch, is crushed by the collapse of a finely honed boer physique

draw

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
let's get this cage match going again

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
lmfao @ Threads being a way to feed you the maximum amount of ads with the minimum amount of people you follow required to keep to keep you scrolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Time to settle this in the octogon. Winner's garbage platform consumes the others.