Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Asking the umps is fine. What’s not fine is getting pissy when the ump confirms it’s ok, the guy hits a dinger, and makes a lighthearted gesture to the thing you worried about.

Kid did nothing wrong, Martinez needs to get over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

MrMidnight posted:

drat Angels you just owned by the world's biggest baseball expert.

https://twitter.com/Jared_Carrabis/status/1676671240822554626?s=20

Please don't take him away from us. We will be CURSÉD forever

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Kirios posted:

Where's the lie

The lie is where he says the stadium looks really nice from the [57] freeway.

And also that the Angels haven't had the "of Anaheim" thing in their name for nearly a decade now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

They’ll always be Of Anaheim no matter how bad Arte wants them to be LA

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

STAC Goat posted:

It’s probably just my general dislike for people being assholes. And if one team pulls some poo poo and the other team hits back. You know, whatever. You asked for it. But in this case Martinez’ concern feels legitimate and asking the umps about it seems like the appropriate action? So Elly’s taunting feels kinda dickish? Yeah Martinez’ post game comments are also unnecessary but like he’s gotta address the first part of it so I get why he’s kind of salty about the latter.

I dunno. It’s dumb. It doesn’t cloud my view of Elly or anything. I still think managers have been especially Karenish this season. I’m just a soft rear end dude.

I don't like rear end in a top hat players. I just don't see this as an rear end in a top hat moment. Martinez using a very much expected post-game question to double down is being an rear end in a top hat, the non-rear end in a top hat manager would have defended questioning it and left it at that. Imo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Milovan Drecun posted:

I don't like rear end in a top hat players. I just don't see this as an rear end in a top hat moment. Martinez using a very much expected post-game question to double down is being an rear end in a top hat, the non-rear end in a top hat manager would have defended questioning it and left it at that. Imo.

I think the manager was being an rear end in a top hat post game. I think taunting people is also being an rear end in a top hat. So I guess I just think Elly was an rear end in a top hat first. Doesn’t mean Martinez wasn’t an rear end in a top hat. And he’s the grown rear end manager so he should be more mature than the rookie. Again. It’s dumb. I’m dumb. I’m gonna watch some muppets.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/idodrums/status/1677031209195671552

Whoa I'm remembering some middle rotation guys

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

zoux posted:

Finally the data to back what I've been saying for years about which pitchers are the most valuable

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The White Sox had a lot of CHADs over the years

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Elly used the bat cover thing in the minors, right? Surely this should have been a scenario covered then

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Elly used the bat cover thing in the minors, right? Surely this should have been a scenario covered then

I mean it was, it’s legal. The other manager just didn’t know that which is fine. EDLC did a little rookie level taunting which makes sense since he’s a rookie. The manager probably should’ve taken the high road after the game but it’s a lot of nothing.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

zoux posted:

Baffled that Romero made it and Buehrle did not

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

hmm that chart says the Jays are good and well

Jays having net above average hitting and pitching but still just feeling like losers seems to track pretty well.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Jays having net above average hitting and pitching but still just feeling like losers seems to track pretty well.

Luv 2 play .185 baseball within the division

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Costco Meatballs posted:

Baffled that Romero made it and Buehrle did not
Buehrle was too good. CHAD+ is combining high IP with a high ERA and high WHIP.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Lance Lynn being on there checks out

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

zoux posted:

A tale of two As

Four! Why are there so many A logos, someone tell the DBacks to change theirs

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

BAP BAP BAP :smith:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

zoux posted:

Best part of this is how many guys on there were at some point Twins pitchers. At least 11 of those entries were by one-time Twins guys, including two each for Blyleven and Livan Hernandez.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

STAC Goat posted:

I think the manager was being an rear end in a top hat post game. I think taunting people is also being an rear end in a top hat. So I guess I just think Elly was an rear end in a top hat first. Doesn’t mean Martinez wasn’t an rear end in a top hat. And he’s the grown rear end manager so he should be more mature than the rookie. Again. It’s dumb. I’m dumb. I’m gonna watch some muppets.

Trust that I'm dumber, enjoy the muppets

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

MLB draft starts on Sunday. If you have an Athletic sub, here's KLaw's top 100 with writeups: https://theathletic.com/4584350/2023/07/06/mlb-draft-ranking-prospects-2023-crews-law/

Keith Law posted:

This is the best draft class I’ve seen since 2011’s epic group, which saw Gerrit Cole, Anthony Rendon, Francisco Lindor, Javier Baez, George Springer, Sonny Gray and Kolten Wong – all of whom have over 20 career rWAR – go in the first round. (That draft’s WAR leader by a country mile is fifth-round pick Mookie Betts, who’s more than 20 WAR ahead of Lindor.)

This year’s group has a ton of quality college position players, a group of high school position players that isn’t very far behind, and enough college arms to keep the first round interesting, although it’s very light on southpaws and behind the plate.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

MLB draft starts on Sunday. If you have an Athletic sub, here's KLaw's top 100 with writeups: https://theathletic.com/4584350/2023/07/06/mlb-draft-ranking-prospects-2023-crews-law/

Still can't believe the Twins moved up eight slots in this thanks to the new lottery lmao

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
They're also very likely to use that pick on someone outside the established top 5, but yea, it owns

They have a few high picks too

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

They're also very likely to use that pick on someone outside the established top 5, but yea, it owns

Based on stuff I've seen, I don't think that's true unless you've been reading actual reports saying so instead of just assuming they'll cheap out

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would be surprised if they took one of the younger bats when the team is currently building a core in the majors already. Either Crews or Skenes would make sense as these are both players that will be able to contribute at the MLB level within a year or so.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

IcePhoenix posted:

Based on stuff I've seen, I don't think that's true unless you've been reading actual reports saying so instead of just assuming they'll cheap out

It's not about cheaping out, I dunno why you would assume that??? I assume everyone spends all their draft money, we went over this with Royce Lewis years ago. Unless someone is actively saying 'cheap Pohlads!', probably safe to assume some level of understanding.

The reasoning is the Twins projection models don't love high school players at the top of the draft, and it's likely they'll be choosing the left over one at 5. If that's Walker Jenkins, they might say no, regardless if he is perceived by many as the 5th best player in the draft. Keith Law had them taking Jacob Gonzalez in his most recent mock. He's not the only one to say this either. The Twins are an org who rely on their own scouting and models, not industry consensus (maybe all teams do these days). They like to diversify with their draft picks, and with two more in the top 50, having more money available later can help bring in upside spread over multiple players.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would be surprised if they took one of the younger bats when the team is currently building a core in the majors already. Either Crews or Skenes would make sense as these are both players that will be able to contribute at the MLB level within a year or so.

I agree in principle, but I think it's a little less about immediate availability (though a factor!), and more their general organizational philosophy of what you're trying to get from the draft. Chase Petty was a wild pick for them, but that was at 26th, and they immediately flipped him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Skenes has insane stuff

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Max Fried beginning a rehab stint with Gwinnett Sunday, still probably a while after the break before he's back

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Gwinnett is about to have a pitching staff of Fried, Soroka and Ian Anderson. Kinda funny to think all 3 of these guys seemed like invincible aces like three years ago. Soroka coming back is miraculous, but I haven't heard anything about Anderson in like a year.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

blossommirage posted:

but I haven't heard anything about Anderson in like a year.
Optioned during spring training, made maybe two or three starts in Gwinnett, got shelled, got injured and then got TJS.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

It's not about cheaping out, I dunno why you would assume that???

Because I've lived around kfan listeners my entire life so I've been conditioned

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

IcePhoenix posted:

Because I've lived around kfan listeners my entire life so I've been conditioned

Harsh but fair

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

IcePhoenix posted:

As Milovan says, it's fairly widespread that the Twins are looking more towards college bats in that spot. Now, they've also drafted Royce, Cavaco, and Miller out of HS in the first and comp rounds so it's hardly as if they refuse to grab HS bats. I do assume a good chunk of this is gamesmanship from the front office.

The 5th pick, whichever remains, has substantial leverage. Teams know generally how much each guy will expect at their position and all of high schoolers are likely asking well over slot at 1:5 (and I suspect willing to go under slot at 1:3). Why wouldn't you? It's a five player draft, is Falvey really going to draft Teel? And if he does call your bluff, you just bounce off to college, pull down six figures of NIL money, and get drafted in a couple years. So it's in the Twins best interest to ring up Heyman et. al, point to Brooks and Sabato and Larnach and the rest and say "Our models strongly prefer young college kids with elite production, and we could easily get one of those guys cheap and spread the money elsewhere"

They might be dead serious about not drafting Jenkins/Clark, but they've got every reason to fan the flames of the Shortstops Jacob even if they plan to draft one of the high schoolers. For what it's worth, Fangraphs is hearing rumors suggesting that the most rumored kids are still prepping for early-mid teens

quote:

There is some buzz about the Twins taking a contact-oriented college prospect here, but I am also getting indications from teams picking deeper in the first round that some of those players (like Ole Miss shortstop Jacob Gonzalez and Grand Canyon shortstop Jacob Wilson) are still looking for homes in that range. I think Jenkins goes with one of these picks, though if he goes fourth, it’s more likely the Twins cut a deal.

ETA: Clark's makeup sounds like Falvine catnip so if he's there and not asking for anything outrageous, I'd be surprised if they let him go.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 7, 2023

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Those are some good points, I hadn't really thought of it being strategic noise. I agree makeup is a huge consideration, it's seemingly why they felt comfortable with Royce (plus the other advantages of drafting him at first overall). I also think power is the last tool they're concerned about in a high schooler, because they're confident in their ability to add it within the organization. That's why I think Clark's tools are a little more tantalizing to them than Jenkins, though I'm no prospect hound and maybe that's selling short Jenkins in some ways. He's also the fringier centerfielder of the two, and that seems against type as well.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Max Fried beginning a rehab stint with Gwinnett Sunday, still probably a while after the break before he's back

have missed that big curve

i wonder what this does to his free agent value, Dodgers might get him for less

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

head up to fans of Posts: there's a yankees/cubs series this weekend

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

zoux posted:

A tale of two As

love my beautifully league average redlegs

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Severino needs the Manoah trip down to rookie ball.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I've been going to collegiate summer league games in Seattle for the DubSea Fish Sticks and it's super loving fun and cheap as poo poo. Highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I've been going to collegiate summer league games in Seattle for the DubSea Fish Sticks and it's super loving fun and cheap as poo poo. Highly recommended.

They're called the FISH STICKS that better be fun.