Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

NoiseAnnoys posted:

lol you needed to google jared kushner to see what a bad idea that was

It was a joke :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

tiaz posted:

an understandable impulse (why waste our resources lobbying people who definitely won't listen), but still frustrating since it obviously plays into the efforts of said countries that won't give the slightest poo poo by giving the impression that they don't or it doesn't matter.

:hai:

This gets weird because you get into calculus about, like, how many innocents will unexploded ordinance from these cluster munitions kill vs how many will Russia kill in the longer-duration war that lack of availability of these weapons would cause. It's difficult to reason credibly about, apart from the easy outs you identified - cluster munitions are bad because UXO, and it's Russia's fault we're in this position.
Personally, in general, I think it's more favorable to deal with mine clearing operations in peacetime than skip that but get more attrition, but I can understand choosing otherwise. However, in this case, since Russia is pretty casual about using its cluster munitions, I think not sending ours doesn't get us out of anything, so if they're more effective for trench clearing than the other available stuff fuckin' have at it.

I'm not sure what cluster bombs the US is giving away, but if it's the newer CBU the bomblets should deactivate on a timer and limit UXO issues.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

celewign posted:

I'm not sure what cluster bombs the US is giving away, but if it's the newer CBU the bomblets should deactivate on a timer and limit UXO issues.

Yeah, the US may be an imperialistic hegemony, but credit where it's due--all our stuff for the last generation or two has focused on reducing UXO situations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Another Russian "vehicle-borne improvised explosive device" was spotted, this time MT-LB, it allegedly exploded early.

This video also explains how are these vehicles "remotely operated" - drivers jumped out of it before reaching the target.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

celewign posted:

:hmmyes: I just meant to acknowledge that those won't quite be 100%. Strong preference for those instead of ones that don't even try though, for sure.

HonorableTB posted:

lavrov spotted

You can't fool me, that's a guild navigator.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dwesa posted:

Another Russian "vehicle-borne improvised explosive device" was spotted, this time MT-LB, it allegedly exploded early.

This video also explains how are these vehicles "remotely operated" - drivers jumped out of it before reaching the target.

drat. Imagine how fast you'd sprint away after bailing from that. Usain Bolt would be left in my dust.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
You'd think the Russians would know how to make a proper VBIED after fighting in Syria for 8 years

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Deptfordx posted:

drat. Imagine how fast you'd sprint away after bailing from that. Usain Bolt would be left in my dust.

Actually you can simply walk away from the explosion at an unhurried pace, as long as you're putting on a pair of sunglasses

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

You'd think the Russians would know how to make a proper VBIED after fighting in Syria for 8 years

Not sure barrel bombing civilian buildings and missiling hospitals is fighting.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

HonorableTB posted:

lavrov spotted

I didn't know they were making a live-action Berserk adaptation

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Deptfordx posted:

even then i'm not convinced you're gonna get to minimum safe distance in any kind of useful time. at least assuming this "remote controlled vehicle" is comparable to the last one we saw.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tai posted:

Not sure barrel bombing civilian buildings and missiling hospitals is fighting.

They clearly picked up some lessons from the FSA because we saw that rocket pod toyota hilux technical a few pages back, not unreasonable to think they would've absorbed how to do a VBIED properly from the same fighters

e: just re-read that post and "rocket pod toyota hilux technical" being used by the russian armed forces is :lmao:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

It's accurate ((not the rocket pods))

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Joke Miriam posted:

I didn't know they were making a live-action Berserker adaptation

This summer, it's time for making gently caress

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
my technical is rusted truck, Berserker

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

They clearly picked up some lessons from the FSA because we saw that rocket pod toyota hilux technical a few pages back, not unreasonable to think they would've absorbed how to do a VBIED properly from the same fighters

e: just re-read that post and "rocket pod toyota hilux technical" being used by the russian armed forces is :lmao:

the Chad technical outfought T-55s

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tunicate posted:

the Chad technical outfought T-55s
The Chad technical versus the Virgin T-55

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Dwesa posted:

playing Battlefield on the battlefield

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

I sure as hell am not going to tell to Ukrainians to not use cluster munitions. Having said that, I recommend marking their use on a map and sending in deminers once the area is secure because even with timers etc, it presents a risk to Ukraine's own population.

The party responsible here is of course Russia for invading Ukraine, but you catch my drift.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Oldsmobile posted:

I sure as hell am not going to tell to Ukrainians to not use cluster munitions. Having said that, I recommend marking their use on a map and sending in deminers once the area is secure because even with timers etc, it presents a risk to Ukraine's own population.

The party responsible here is of course Russia for invading Ukraine, but you catch my drift.

Sounds like they're going to be demining the entire occupied zone for decades to come regardless.

might as well set themselves up to start as soon as they can.

I fix poo poo for a living. Sometimes something is so broke and is going to take so long to get going that the equation for how stupid an idea is changes since if it works you can get the customer going while the parts come in, and if it doesn't, they were down anyways.

um.... time works the same way?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

FMguru posted:

The Chad technical versus the Virgin T-55

Beating up 70+ year old virgins.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, the REAL UXO threat is the fuckton of mines Russia has laid across dozens if not hundreds of kilometers (I'm bad with distances). I guaran-drat-tee that their stuff doesn't go inert after a while, and Russia sure as poo poo hasn't marked out the minefields beyond "don't go past this line on your map"

A few dozen or even a few hundred unexploded submunitions is like complaining about a light rain when you're in the deep end of a pool.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I can't believe all the CoD and Battelfield games left out the true face of modern warfare: shitposting on twitter

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

GruntyThrst posted:

I can't believe all the CoD and Battelfield games left out the true face of modern warfare: shitposting on twitter

At this rate there won't still be a Twitter by the time the next game launches.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1676898413630177280?s=20

As long as Russia doesn't get to keep any Ukrainian lands, then fine. Negotiate away. Ukraine demands the restoration of its 1991 borders and any attempt to undermine that should be met with appropriate consequences

I suspect this is getting leaked because the people doing it don’t have support of the US government but I wouldn’t mind being surprised.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/WhereisRussia/status/1676931336240611333
The miserable vatniks have taken heavy losses on the Bakhmut front, with cases of fleeing being reported. Complaints against officers are being made as well.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Yeah, from the sounds of things the UA retaking Klishchiivka may be imminent.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Dwesa posted:

No, they don't have socks again. They abandoned footwraps in 2013 and started issuing them to mobiks again in 2022 due to a shortage of socks.
Lol, just lol. It's not hard to manufacture socks, but then again this is Russia

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

kronix posted:

I suspect this is getting leaked because the people doing it don’t have support of the US government but I wouldn’t mind being surprised.

I feel like it will turn out to be right wing assholes and someone like Trump will claim "We tried to broker a peace but Biden wouldn't allow it!" or some other dumb poo poo.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

OAquinas posted:

I can't wait for the rubble to be the next Zimbabwean Dollar currency fad.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The operational tempo that Ukraine is producing is one of a plentifully fed and well watered troop.

You can't have this kind of tempo on starvation rations. You need like 5K calories a day to conduct offensive operations. It's non loving stop moving and fighting.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Lol, just lol. It's not hard to manufacture socks, but then again this is Russia

"footwrap" is a nickname for pro-Russians in Scandinavia iirc.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Pekinduck posted:

"footwrap" is a nickname for pro-Russians in Scandinavia iirc.

I'm reminded of ye olde insult 'toerag' with that.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Yeah, I don't get what the deal is. Why not make socks which are better in literally every way?

I'm assuming that the foot wraps are just 50+ year-old leftover stock.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

god please help me posted:

Yeah, I don't get what the deal is. Why not make socks which are better in literally every way?

I'm assuming that the foot wraps are just 50+ year-old leftover stock.

As I understand footwraps have some advantages in supply-limited situations since you can compensate for wear in a way you can't with a sock, so it's not literally every way. That just should not be relevant for a supposedly well-equipped modern military campaigning in its own back yard. And yet here we are.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Captain Fargle posted:

At this rate there won't still be a Twitter by the time the next game launches.

Finally a casualty of the war whose death we can openly cheer and gloat over.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
48 minutes of Soviet television that was simulcast live on the Discovery Channel in 1988, a first of its kind in either Soviet or American history. This was the first time the average American would have been able to see Soviet broadcasts as the Soviets did. Pretty neat stuff! This was one of the ways Gorbachev's glasnost policy could be seen in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQXo8HMHOsM

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 7, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

To put it all in perspective, Russia has pulled it's last remaining units out of their deepest fortresses to fight in bakhmut. It has very few cards left to play to "correct" the ship. (Correct is heavily heavily from the Russian reference point so it's incorrect).

General mobilization and Mass mobilization. They are completely out of manpower, they are using the caucuses army as well as the Chinese army to defend the territory that currently exists in ukraine. I mean I don't see another way that they can get more manpower.

Like unless they pull the rosegovardia into the fray. And that would be really bad because uhhhhh they didn't do to well against Wagner or the RFP sieging belgorod.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 7, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm not sure i buy that russia is out of manpower, didn't they have another like quarter million dudes doing defense in depth along the crimean front?

like yeah them losing 50k mans in bakhmut would be a devastating blow but i don't think it's gonna turn into a generalized lack of hands to staff the lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Coolguye posted:

i'm not sure i buy that russia is out of manpower, didn't they have another like quarter million dudes doing defense in depth along the crimean front?

like yeah them losing 50k mans in bakhmut would be a devastating blow but i don't think it's gonna turn into a generalized lack of hands to staff the lines.

Why would the Chinese border army be in Bakhmut in danger of encirclement if they had an alternative?

I mean we've been reading about colonels running companies because of the last of officer corps to do so.

They have 180,000 people on the bakhmut axis but they are still losing land.

They are loving exhausted troops. They are starved, under hydrated probably diseased or sick as gently caress always. It isn't just a numbers game. And while an army of 200,000 may seem cool and all. These front lines were being occupied by 1,000,000 men 80 years ago. Imagine the same width of front but a 5th of the men. You get pretty stretched. And your ability to conduct combat operations becomes difficult without a proper force to do so.

I will throw a number for what I think Russia would need to actually win this thing.

750,000 troops at the low end.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 7, 2023