Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

Are things bad there? I dont have a good frame of reference and I feel like most people commenting on the state of europe dont actually live there

That's because without Russian gas they all froze to death last winter, or so I've been assured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

^^^^^1491

So people think Europe is in a better place than when the war started? Even France and Italy?
If you're arguing that Europe has become more tense because of the war, it has. There's an understanding that the alternative is worse, though.

That being said; France's problems are not related to the war at all. Neither are Italy's for that matter. France has just been horribly neglecting their disenfranchised urban population for decades and it's only been getting worse.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Flavahbeast posted:

Are things bad there? I dont have a good frame of reference and I feel like most people commenting on the state of europe dont actually live there

More and more countries are deciding that electing fash is great actually

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...

Staluigi posted:

This bizarro sentence structure keeps setting off strange deja vu recollections. Not of like a specific person, but a whole genre of JAQ-ery I know I've seen in multiple places

I'm not trying to be obtuse if that helps? I got similar down vote feedback sometimes on r/worldnews.

I typo'd Russia instead of China.

Here's the NBC link: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/former-us-officials-secret-ukraine-talks-russians-war-ukraine-rcna92610

If Russia is getting its rear end kicked in the military side, why would the US be pushing for peace?

I think economic, trade, or supply chain issues is the answer.

With military fronts seemingly being bogged down in Ukraine, I can't see Russia even having secret talks unless the topic includes land gain for Russia, because Putin would kill someone for making Russia look weak.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
Oh red text! I'll reiterate - Putin is evil, Russia is the aggressor, Russia is at fault, Ukraine and even more so their people are the victims.

Russia is committing war crimes, killing children, kidnapping people, beating objectors, and being despicable.

They have exposed huge military weakness - cope cages and lost a ton of power in every way on the world stage as a whole.

gently caress putin.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
^^^^ you are really up to date on SA-specific jargon like "red text" for someone who isn’t a re-reg.

spankmeister posted:

That being said; France's problems are not related to the war at all. Neither are Italy's for that matter. France has just been horribly neglecting their disenfranchised urban population for decades and it's only been getting worse.

Yeah, pretty much this. The war in Ukraine is abstract and irrelevant to daily life in Western Europe. No more effect on my day to day (or even season to season) than for someone in Idaho. Electricity at car charging stations was notably more expensive for a few months last year, now it is back to what it was in 2021. Natural gas prices are lower than they were before the war.
Products using sunflower oil are back on store shelves - although I only ever saw shortages of mustard and only in France.

Wars can be abstract and irrelevant even when they are pretty close. People in Cairo and Addis Ababa are also not really affected by the war in Sudan, either. In fact the war in Ukraine might have a stronger effect on places further away; grain being 25% more expensive is like, an extra €5 a month for me. If you’re in Chad, that extra €5/month is a lot more relevant than it is to anyone in Europe.

IRL I hear about the war in Ukraine about as often as I heard about COVID in 2022: so like, now and then, but it definitely isn’t a common topic in the news or in social discussions. Just now I notice the Russian bombings yesterday of Lviv were front page of NYT, but not at all of any major newspaper here in Switzerland. If I want news about Ukraine then NYT and the Economist cover it more than any major European newspaper at this point.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 6, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BillsPhoenix posted:

If Russia is getting its rear end kicked in the military side, why would the US be pushing for peace?

Several private citizens who are not connected with the US government in any capacity traveling to Russia of their own accord to promote their personal political agenda is not "the US pushing for peace."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

BillsPhoenix posted:

I'm not trying to be obtuse if that helps? I got similar down vote feedback sometimes on r/worldnews.

Here's the NBC link: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/former-us-officials-secret-ukraine-talks-russians-war-ukraine-rcna92610

With military fronts seemingly being bogged down in Ukraine, I can't see Russia even having secret talks unless the topic includes land gain for Russia, because Putin would kill someone for making Russia look weak.

There's "bogged down/stalemate" a la 2014-2022, and then there's "bogged down/slow-but-steady advancement by Ukraine" which is what's happening.
The pace of the offensive was always going to be very slow and deliberate at first because Russia laid ALL the mines and dug more trenches than germany in 1915. That's a hell of a speedbump.
But if the AFU can get passed that...well, then it gets interesting.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Even though I'm not 100% convinced you're posting in good faith, here goes:

BillsPhoenix posted:

Why wouldn't they? An agreement to end the war is just as likely to involve Russia withdrawing all of its forces to 2014 borders, or even 1991 borders. If nothing else, establishing the channels and framework for future talks is worth it at least.

BillsPhoenix posted:

With military fronts seemingly being bogged down in Ukraine

[citation needed]

BillsPhoenix posted:

I can't see Russia even having secret talks unless the topic includes land gain for Russia, because Putin would kill someone for making Russia look weak.

As already mentioned these aren't official or even unofficial talks, these are random academics with possible lines of communication to actual officials. In terms of international diplomacy it's slightly one step up from two interns trading phone numbers.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

BillsPhoenix posted:

Russia's ties to China haven't strengthened. China is mealy-mouthed and wishy-washy on the subject and from what is being said - and to an extent shown - the side whose opinion they care about in this conflict is not Russia (or Ukraine, for that matter), but USA. Their economic links have changed to make Russia more dependent on China, although even that is not such a big shift in the grand scheme of things. I'm not well versed on India.

As has been noted above, the US is not pushing for peace. This was not performed at the behest of the American executive or legislative authorities and did not involve any sitting public officials on the US side. It appears Russia is treating this a lot more seriously, since Lavrov is the minister of foreign affairs. If you believe that pushing for peace is the sign of military failure, then Russians are appearing to push a lot harder.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

As already mentioned these aren't official or even unofficial talks, these are random academics with possible lines of communication to actual officials. In terms of international diplomacy it's slightly one step up from two interns trading phone numbers.

I am not sure Lavrov is a step up from interns.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I did some googling of the names mentioned in the nbc news article and it seems like not a surprise that those were the names pulled, seems Richard Haas and Charles Kupchan cowrote this article back in April, which would've been around the same timeframe they would've been participating in these talks with the Russians:

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/ukraine/russia-richard-haass-west-battlefield-negotiations

It feels like some political types are seeing a potential stalemate and seeking a potential out to a protracted conflict. Feels like the whole leak is to see where support is and plant some seeds in public consciousness.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The US/West is pushing for peace, and it would be extremely easy for Russia to comply with the terms. All they have to do is cease all offensive military operations and withdraw their forces to the 1991 borders.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 6, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

BillsPhoenix posted:

Sooner or later the war will end in negotiations that are going to involve a lot of countries as mediators and guarantors - what will be on the table is right now depends on Ukrainian Armed Forces and what they are going to accomplish in, lets say conservatively, next two years.

Feeling up the backchannels to see what is the actual Russian position (not only the "RAH RAH NUKE WARSAW RESPECT ME" from talking heads, but like, are they really expecting to hold on the flooded part of Kherson region and a stump of Zaporozhye without Zaporozhye city) is a good idea at any point in time.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 6, 2023

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
These peace "talks" were also held before the Wagner Mutiny, which in practice hasn't actually changed much on the ground but has done a lot to change the perception of the stability of the Russian government. There's probably no force with the same independence of action that could repeat what Wagner did, but everyone watched the Russian government almost crumble because when push came to shove a lot of Russians didn't have a lot of loyalty to it.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023

Moon Slayer posted:

The US/West is pushing for peace, and it would be extremely easy for Russia to comply with the terms. All they have to do is cease all offensive military operations and withdraw their forces to the 1991 borders.

That's a really good point.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I have yet to see anything that indicates Ukraine wants to stop fighting or is interested in any kind of peace as long as Russia is occupying their land.

At this point If they ran out of bullets I suspect the Ukrainians would keep fighting with sticks and stones and their bare hands. NATO would probably have to actively intervene to stop them.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Care to explain what we're looking at here, besides the cheap Elmer Fudd knockoff?

Also just lol and also lmao at taking Lavrov seriously as a negotiator.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Tevery Best posted:

Russia's ties to China haven't strengthened. China is mealy-mouthed and wishy-washy on the subject and from what is being said - and to an extent shown - the side whose opinion they care about in this conflict is not Russia (or Ukraine, for that matter), but USA. Their economic links have changed to make Russia more dependent on China, although even that is not such a big shift in the grand scheme of things. I'm not well versed on India.

As has been noted above, the US is not pushing for peace. This was not performed at the behest of the American executive or legislative authorities and did not involve any sitting public officials on the US side. It appears Russia is treating this a lot more seriously, since Lavrov is the minister of foreign affairs. If you believe that pushing for peace is the sign of military failure, then Russians are appearing to push a lot harder.

I think India has just been buying a fuckton of oil from Russia at cut rate prices which, y'know, fair. An interesting wrinkle though is that they are/were also heavy buyers of Russian weaponry and armor. Weapons and armor that Russia can no longer supply or support, and are being shown as inferior to western weapons a generation old. So the dynamic there may be a tad mutable.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I have yet to see anything that indicates Ukraine wants to stop fighting or is interested in any kind of peace as long as Russia is occupying their land.

At this point If they ran out of bullets I suspect the Ukrainians would keep fighting with sticks and stones and their bare hands. NATO would probably have to actively intervene to stop them.

there was that great quote by a Ukrainian psychologist in the early days of the invasion about all the anger and hate that people were feeling and the need to channel those feelings into something productive, like building Molotov cocktails

edit: this one

quote:

Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that "anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate." But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 6, 2023

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Moktaro posted:

Care to explain what we're looking at here, besides the cheap Elmer Fudd knockoff?

Also just lol and also lmao at taking Lavrov seriously as a negotiator.

Yeah, Lavrov was once an experienced and relatively competent foreign minister, especially when you consider how long he's been in post, and compared to some of the morons some countries have had recently as FMs (especially the UK).

But I very strongly get the sense he's basically sidelined nowdays with no power or influence and is just a miserable figurehead of sorts. He seems to just be unhappily coasting along in the position, not really trying very hard at anything.

To be clear, I'm not defending him in any way, he's still a vile individual and complicit in Russia's aggression and warcrimes, and not just since 2022. I just see him as a bit of a pathetic and weak figure nowdays is all, perpetually sad.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/WhereisRussia/status/1676931336240611333

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Bakhmut is not where I’d have expected (nor particularly desired) a breakthrough

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Discendo Vox posted:

Bakhmut is not where I’d have expected (nor particularly desired) a breakthrough

It does however imply that units and supplies are being pulled from places that aren't Melitopol

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Discendo Vox posted:

It's the one part of the front that isn't a minefield.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Moktaro posted:

Prigozhin-Man: Across the Universe

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Nothing confirmed. The Russians almost certainly still hold Klischiivka at the time of writing. There was a flurry of celebration on Jul 5 from pro Ukrainian accounts and nothing since.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does anyone know what IMRB stands for? Something Motorized Rifle Battalion (or Brigade)?
Also, does anyone know of a good map of the conflict which uses NATO symbology? Jomini of the West has been excellent but updates became sparse after last summer.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

Ynglaur posted:

Does anyone know what IMRB stands for? Something Motorized Rifle Battalion (or Brigade)?
Also, does anyone know of a good map of the conflict which uses NATO symbology? Jomini of the West has been excellent but updates became sparse after last summer.

None that I know of, but I'm also not searching for that detailed of a map. Based on some web searching, I came up with Independent Motorized Rifle Battalion/Brigade. I get a few references to units from Soviet Union and Russia.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

Independent Motorized Rifle Brigade.

Long story short a lot of Soviet-style formations were meant to be used as big units and brigade level organization much rarer, so they get special distinction. Their own support elements, etc, when a normal brigade will be sharing divisional assets.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018
WaPo and AP reporting that Biden will announce giving cluster munitions. NYTimes hasn't worded it as a for sure thing yet.

NYTimes: Biden Weighs Giving Ukraine Weapons Banned by Many U.S. Allies

quote:

Although White House officials said Thursday that Mr. Biden had not made a final decision, several officials said they expected he would give his final approval imminently. 

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

I found this, but I dunno how reliable it is:
https://militaryland.net/maps/deployment-map/

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

RockWhisperer posted:

WaPo and AP reporting that Biden will announce giving cluster munitions. NYTimes hasn't worded it as a for sure thing yet.

Man eastern Ukraine is going to be even more of a UXO nightmare than it already was going to be. :(. War just sucks all around.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Ukraine probably isn't getting these if they didn't intend to use them, but I feel like they'd still be somewhat more mindful about when and how they deploy them than other nations have historically been, given that it's likely to be within their own borders and that the UXO risks they present will be to their own citizens.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

jarlywarly posted:

Man eastern Ukraine is going to be even more of a UXO nightmare than it already was going to be. :(. War just sucks all around.

Russia has been using cluster munitions from day one though, so providing Ukraine with them might actually improve the resulting UXO issue if it helps Ukrainians dislodge the Russians from their positions faster.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Here's a work safe clip of the AA AK74(?) in action. Looks like it is being used against Shahed drones.

https://twitter.com/AndrewPerpetua/status/1677066933173121027?s=20

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Doesn't seem particularly effective.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

feel like a barbell hung from the end of that thing could do something about the recoil

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

RockWhisperer posted:

I seem to remember something like this coming up 6 months or a year ago and the actual plan wasn't to use the clusters as-is, but to treat them like a Valu-Pak of attachments for small drones ala the grenade droppers from early on. No idea how valid that is or if there are fuse issues with doing it that way, but given that we are getting reposts of guns chained together for anti-drone purposes it hardly seems out of the question that something could be modified to serve a different purpose than the "intended" use

Edit: welp, reading the WaPo article it seems like they actually are short enough on conventional artillery ammo that this wouldn't be the case, honestly pretty poo poo that the collective West can't keep one front supplied with a blank check and so much lead time

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Dude isn't bothering to lead his target either.

Really though that would be almost entirely ineffective in that role. A dual 50 cal like in WW2 would probably do fine but really some dual 20mm cannons is the preferred solution.