Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
How reliably do these current devices start up and suspend? Owning a Vita and a 3DS, I haven't felt much need for one, but a GBA SP-sized device that will instantly resume when opened and reliably suspend when closed would be really tempting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Android ones work well like that because..well, that's how phones work

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Most notably the one that is most GPA-SP sized/styled (PowKiddy V90) does an awful job of it. Not only does it not sleep when closed, you have to quit the emulator, then do a software shutdown, then also remember to turn off the physical power switch so it doesn’t drain the battery while appearing to be off.

Hopefully the upcoming Miyoo Flip will do a better job of this. At least with OnionOS the Miyoo Mini has great power management/resume functionality.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The only thing that affect how many more underused retro consoles I own is the color scheme of the Miyoo SP.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Funkey S not only did turn off when you closed it, but it did a save state on your current game, shut down completely, and auto-loaded the game and the save when you opened it back up again in a process that took less than 2 seconds. You could toss it in the back of a drawer for 2 years and then resume your game of ff7 in mid-battle like nothing happened

I was revolutionary and perfect and nobody has done it since, despite them releasing the os as open source

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
The miyoo mini does that too. Not sure if it is a custom firmware feature though

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Since this endless parade of handhelds is mostly used for emulation, maybe you folks can explain something to me: Why has Playstation emulation been available on toasters for over two decades but Playstation 2 emulation is still some extravagant feature?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Manager Hoyden posted:

Since this endless parade of handhelds is mostly used for emulation, maybe you folks can explain something to me: Why has Playstation emulation been available on toasters for over two decades but Playstation 2 emulation is still some extravagant feature?

The weird cell processor probably

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Photex posted:

The weird cell processor probably

Cell with weird PowerPC based architecture was in PS3. PS2 is just beefier system and harder to emulate on pc's as well

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Manager Hoyden posted:

The original Playstation is a relatively simple machine to emulate, it has a simple 32-bit RISC processor clocked at 33 mhz along with a 3D co-processor. There isn't much to it.

The PS2 on the other hand has a custom 64-Bit RISC CPU with multiple 32-bit co-processors clocked at 300 MHz all with a ton of extra RAM and high speed interfaces all through it.

The PS2 is much more complicated hardware and all relies upon VERY exact and tight timings to work correctly. If you compare that to the Dreamcast which has what is a now fairly standard way of building hardware with a 200 MHZ Processor, a 100 MHZ GPU and separate system, video and sound RAM.

In emulation you are having to code all of these parts of the hardware, how they interact with each other and on top of that code to have them interface with the hardware you are using. The more complex and/or different than the host hardware, the more horsepower you require to emulate it. This is why the Sega Saturn requires much more power to emulate than a PS1 or even a N64 despite them all being fairly close in power.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Thanks, that stuff is fascinating.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Manager Hoyden posted:

Because Ken Kutaragi was a mad mannn! Unfortunately PS2 is also the best retro system. Like there 100 times more retro gamers care about PS2 emulation than PS3 emulation.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 6, 2023

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

Because Ken Kutaragi was a mad mannn! Unfortunately PS2 is also the best retro system. Like there 100 times more retro gamers care about PS2 emulation than PS3 emulation.

That's because PS3 has no games

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Unfortunately PS2 is also the best retro system.

You misspelled Dreamcast.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont think PS2 is that hard to emulate these days? The Steam Deck does it well and thats not some 4090ti powerhouse

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Any half decent PC can run PCSX2 without choking and dying nowadays; the main problem is that a lot of games will have performance problems regardless of how beefy your PC is and/or require fiddling with emulator settings. There's no real It Just WorksTM option yet like there is for PS1.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

^ That too

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I dont think PS2 is that hard to emulate these days? The Steam Deck does it well and thats not some 4090ti powerhouse

I think it's more that the run-of-the-mill handhelds (your Anbernics, PowKiddys, or Miyoos) can't handle it quite yet.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Need For Speed Underground 2 and a few other games have horrific slowdown in spots on the Deck. It’s far from a solved problem still if you’re looking outside the standard 20-30 games everyone always tests with. Gran Turismo 4 only got to playable territory on PCSX2 relatively recently.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d pay upwards of $100 for a PS2 ODE

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

hatty posted:

I’d pay upwards of $100 for a PS2 ODE

Isn’t it like $15 for a memory card and $30 for an ssd to do just that?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

stephenthinkpad posted:

Less to do with the quality of the PS3 (or 360) libraries, more a result of the consolidation of the console and pc markets, I think. Like you bet we’d be bemoaning the loss of classics like Dragon’s Dogma if so many games from that era didn’t have pc ports.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

otter posted:

Isn’t it like $15 for a memory card and $30 for an ssd to do just that?

Yep and now there is a tool that is drag and drop to the drive instead of needing a bunch of old applications.

E: AND it supports huge drive sizes too.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Rinkles posted:

Less to do with the quality of the PS3 (or 360) libraries, more a result of the consolidation of the console and pc markets, I think. Like you bet we’d be bemoaning the loss of classics like Dragon’s Dogma if so many games from that era didn’t have pc ports.

Well that's a different way to put it. Basically the console makers resisted the convergences with PC but eventually embraced it. That's what made the system library before the convergence so special.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

my favourite weird ps2 thing is that it has an insanely high fill rate or something like that that makes it viable to do a very weird form of motion blur that even PCs at the time couldn't do, I think Red Faction 1 does it for instance

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Yep and now there is a tool that is drag and drop to the drive instead of needing a bunch of old applications.

E: AND it supports huge drive sizes too.

Please point me in the right direction for this. I have a freemcboot card but I had to network into a drive share on my desktop.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

kirbysuperstar posted:

my favourite weird ps2 thing is that it has an insanely high fill rate or something like that that makes it viable to do a very weird form of motion blur that even PCs at the time couldn't do, I think Red Faction 1 does it for instance

That would explain the visual styles of several games.

Wasn't there also a way for intrepid programmers to access the PS1 hardware from a PS2 game? I remember an article about the (then) upcoming GTA3 where they planned on offloading a lot of the audio onto the PS1 sound chip so they could use more of the PS2 hardware for the harder stuff.

Could have just been what they wanted to do, not what they were truly able to do.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If you want something to fall asleep to more about old console GPUs than you’ll probably understand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OdUbP361P8

I’d recommend watching them in order though

(The voice is computer generated, but tolerable imo)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Chinook posted:

Please point me in the right direction for this. I have a freemcboot card but I had to network into a drive share on my desktop.

Here is the post from April about it:

https://www.retrorgb.com/new-opl-update-lets-you-use-any-size-hard-drive.html

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There’s also the MX4SIO devices that allow loading through the memory card interface from a microSD card. It’s not 100% compatibility but I haven’t found a game that doesn’t work yet.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Explosionface posted:

That would explain the visual styles of several games.

Wasn't there also a way for intrepid programmers to access the PS1 hardware from a PS2 game? I remember an article about the (then) upcoming GTA3 where they planned on offloading a lot of the audio onto the PS1 sound chip so they could use more of the PS2 hardware for the harder stuff.

Could have just been what they wanted to do, not what they were truly able to do.

So the IO controller is literally a PS1. This is how they were able to do backwards compatibility on the hardware since it has a PS1 in it.

The PS2 has some really :psyduck: design choices with the hardware too. Like it polls the memory card hundreds of times a second for reasons.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Djarum posted:

So the IO controller is literally a PS1. This is how they were able to do backwards compatibility on the hardware since it has a PS1 in it.

This is also why you can’t load PS1 games off a memory card or hard drive to run natively, because the system needs to use the PS1 hardware to read from the hard drive or PS2 memory card. You need to use the internal emulator they developed for when they cut the PS1 chip in the later slim models but still wanted it to run PS1 games. It’s not nearly as stupid as the original PS3 straight up having the PS2 GPU and Emotion Engine on its motherboard though.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Wow I have totally forgotten phat PS3. I wonder how expensive it is to make a PS2 on a chip with today's fabbing technology.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I mean there were those handheld PS2s some company made using cut down PS2 motherboards.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

njsykora posted:

I mean there were those handheld PS2s some company made using cut down PS2 motherboards.

Making handhelds using actual console hardware is both cool and insane to me.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

stephenthinkpad posted:

Wow I have totally forgotten phat PS3. I wonder how expensive it is to make a PS2 on a chip with today's fabbing technology.

There is quite a bit to the PS2 where it is probably not really possible still to make an entire PS2 on a chip. It would be much easier and likely cheaper to simulate it on a powerful FPGA. That's honestly where a lot of that industry is going in general now. For example a lot of industrial stuff has been replacing old hardware with FPGA solutions for years now since it is cheaper and more reliable than keeping old stuff in production or doing a redesign. Hire someone to code up the hardware for an FPGA and you have a long term solution.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

njsykora posted:

It’s not nearly as stupid as the original PS3 straight up having the PS2 GPU and Emotion Engine on its motherboard though.

It was really funny that they IMMEDIATELY saw they needed to cost cut there because the PAL PS3 launched with the EE gone and only the GS left.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

It was really funny that they IMMEDIATELY saw they needed to cost cut there because the PAL PS3 launched with the EE gone and only the GS left.

Huh, I (PAL) still have my early PS3 fat and I always thought it has full hardware backwards compatibility. Admittedly I haven’t tested it widely or paid that much attention.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Froist posted:

Huh, I (PAL) still have my early PS3 fat and I always thought it has full hardware backwards compatibility. Admittedly I haven’t tested it widely or paid that much attention.

It wasn't. It mostly works with compatibility issues in a couple of games or small glitches here and there for others. It's only got partial hardware support, the rest is emulation.

I'm more surprised your original fat PS3 still works in 2023. Those things are very frail after a while and ready to burn out easily due to bad thermal paste and bad cooling conditions within the case.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

My RP3+ decided both the up and down on the d-pad are the same button. Google and reddit are being their unhelpful self as usual. Any tips? I’m ready to nuke it if needed, by the factory reset is behind a password.

Update: Found another reset option in general settings but holding off on it for now.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I would honestly take it apart and make sure nothing is too fucky with the D-pad itself first

I can't remember if it has a membrane or not, I think I'm inclined to say no because of the clickier response