Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Interesting game, one step past ace combat on the arcade/sim scale, had some good fun playing coop on the big total war mission

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2168680/Nuclear_Option/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This is impressive stuff from an indie studio, to the point where I’m thinking they’re adapting a ready flight sim game engine. It seems oddly familiar, like Il2 CoD or something.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This looks really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0j1-mdSMjI

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Has there been any update on the Beechcraft Starship?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Given that the water physics in MSFS are still hilariously wonky, the continued emphasis on seaplanes strikes me as a bit weird.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

New F-16 throttle from Thrustmaster announced yesterday.

$530 as shown. I think $350 for the throttle only and ~$250 if you just want the lower button panel for some loving reason.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1672616438660464640

Okay, I'm getting as hyped for this as I was for FS2020.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hope the "xxxxtreme creator control" involves thrust vectoring. I need my F-22 to be more accurate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I hope the aerodynamic improvements mean that prop drag and fuselage drag are modeled correctly so that slips and flares work like they're supposed to

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hope the "xxxxtreme creator control" involves thrust vectoring. I need my F-22 to be more accurate.

All I ever asked in my life is to pilot the Rockwell X-31 in that as it's meant to be piloted.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
And the F-35B. It'd actually benefit from proper thrust vectoring too. The current best implementation from IFE still has a jarring transition between VTOL fake physics and actual flight.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I watched the presentation, and it looks like they're using their newfound ability to utilize multiple cores to go insane on physics simulations, which I'm very into. Peep this bespoke balloon physics simulation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPhScg_FINE&t=819s

They aren't going into detail on additional aerodynamic simulations, but they did show this:

I don't think the one on the right is necessarily final, but Sebastian said it took him around five minutes in the editor to add all of those points on the fuselage, showing off how easy it is to edit and update planes. So if a company wants to charge $30 for an update to the new version, feel free to yell at them.

When talking about new terrain detail, they say they're doing aerial photogrammetry on some landmarks to give them 15cm of resolution, while their new procedural system gives them 50cm of resolution, which I believe is significantly better than what it was before? (3 or so meters, no?) I'm not sure if this means the entire world will have that level of detail, or if it will only be certain parts of it. The new trees and rocks and poo poo also look great.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 24, 2023

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Digital Twins are becoming a huge thing in the GIS world and they can be insanely powerful in terms of replicating entire cities at insane resolution so i'm v interested in how they incorporate that kind of tech into flight sim

I'm more than happy paying full price for this game now that they've like explained what they're doing. I think they didn't do a great job communicating what exactly they were doing when they first announced this but I'm entirely on board

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1672616438660464640

Okay, I'm getting as hyped for this as I was for FS2020.

okay this makes me feel way better about FS2024.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Honeycomb is also making new things :stwoon:

I mean look at it

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 24, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

The LCD screens? I would love to have the one above the yoke.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I said come in! posted:

The LCD screens? I would love to have the one above the yoke.

Yeah if i read this correctly it's a completely configurable set of screen that slots in above existing honeycomb peripherals. Can do G1000, but also airbus displays, and apparently fighter stuff in the image above? Like that is massively cool

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Why is it called "F-16" if there's a twin throttle?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

Honeycomb is also making new things

Believe it when it’s released. That HOTAS was announced what, two years ago, and still hasn’t even come close to a release date? (Not to mention the Sigma Tau HOTAS appears to have been memoryholed at this point.)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

I mean look at it

hot drat

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Honeycomb is going to deplete my wallet more than it already is.

Have they said anything about an upgrade path to 2024? I want to assume they'd have some sort of steep discount to upgrade to the new version.

...Right?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sigher posted:

Honeycomb is going to deplete my wallet more than it already is.

Have they said anything about an upgrade path to 2024? I want to assume they'd have some sort of steep discount to upgrade to the new version.

...Right?

2024 is still probably a year away, so they haven't given any specifics about the different SKUs that will be available. They have said that all of your existing marketplace purchases will carry over, and the new version will be backwards compatible with the current version's community folder as well.

This will be a full game release for full price (which means $70 probably), and if there's any discount for previous owners, then I suspect it will be fairly small, maybe $10 to $20. Personally, I wouldn't mind paying full price, given the wealth of new content they'll be offering. The value proposition compared to the typical third-party add-on seems very high.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
One good thing about 2024 is that I can finally get off the Microsoft store ecosystem and get it on Steam. MS store makes locked down folders if you install off your root drive and it can get weird if you have to delete stuff in that folder.

Also might get the pack that includes the 777/Citation (if they keep it this way) because the pricing for an upgrade from the base game is more than buying the game again new.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

skooma512 posted:

One good thing about 2024 is that I can finally get off the Microsoft store ecosystem and get it on Steam. MS store makes locked down folders if you install off your root drive and it can get weird if you have to delete stuff in that folder.

Also might get the pack that includes the 777/Citation (if they keep it this way) because the pricing for an upgrade from the base game is more than buying the game again new.

Same. I initially thought that steam would be worse since it felt like a launcher in a launcher type of situation but the folders thing loving sucks and it’s buried somewhere with a dumb path that’s hard to remember how to find when you need it.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
They fixed some aspects of that folder business. At some point they changed how MSFS installs itself, so that it uses a more normal structure, and it lets you decide where to put your content folders independent of the rest of the sim.

If you installed early on and never had to reinstall, then you can convert your installation type from the Xbox app: https://parallel42.com/blogs/wiki/converting-my-sim-install-from-legacy-to-modern

Also, if you decide to switch from the MS Store to Steam, don't expect your marketplace purchases to show up. You'd think they would, since you buy them through that stupid Flight Points conversion or whatever in the in-game store, but no: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019301400-I-moved-on-to-Steam-from-another-platform-where-is-my-additional-content-

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Ooh absolutely, I am very glad I decided to get Flight Sim 2020 on Steam.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shart Carbuncle posted:

They fixed some aspects of that folder business. At some point they changed how MSFS installs itself, so that it uses a more normal structure, and it lets you decide where to put your content folders independent of the rest of the sim.

If you installed early on and never had to reinstall, then you can convert your installation type from the Xbox app: https://parallel42.com/blogs/wiki/converting-my-sim-install-from-legacy-to-modern

Also, if you decide to switch from the MS Store to Steam, don't expect your marketplace purchases to show up. You'd think they would, since you buy them through that stupid Flight Points conversion or whatever in the in-game store, but no: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019301400-I-moved-on-to-Steam-from-another-platform-where-is-my-additional-content-

lol fantastic. Luckily I don't think I have anything more than the AN-225 on the marketplace.

Hopefully with 2024 they'll change that bit.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Anyone here know about good flight stands? I'm looking for something like this, but 550EUR is really loving steep. I mean you can expand it with a tailormade seat and motion controls, but that's really bonkers territory. Ideally, something that can carry a HOTAS plus a yoke setup and/or mouse, keyboard - I want to build a sim station that I can carry or wheel out of the way, and just connect to a USB and possibly power port and go. There are also plenty of stands like this one, but they look wobbly and not very expandable. Anyone got any hot tips here?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I was watching an XP72 stream last night, and somebody had the electronic "whistle" sound you hear on some real aircraft ATC calls in the background. Is there some way to emulate that?

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

Anyone here know about good flight stands? I'm looking for something like this, but 550EUR is really loving steep. I mean you can expand it with a tailormade seat and motion controls, but that's really bonkers territory. Ideally, something that can carry a HOTAS plus a yoke setup and/or mouse, keyboard - I want to build a sim station that I can carry or wheel out of the way, and just connect to a USB and possibly power port and go. There are also plenty of stands like this one, but they look wobbly and not very expandable. Anyone got any hot tips here?

How handy are you and what are your technical design skills? I built my own stuff using 8020 aluminum profiles. Its what many of the cockpit builder use; like Sim-Labs. The stuff isn’t that much more complicated than Lego.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I used plywood, 2x4 ripped down, some drawer slides and a Poang chair. Works well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

I was watching an XP72 stream last night, and somebody had the electronic "whistle" sound you hear on some real aircraft ATC calls in the background. Is there some way to emulate that?

Run your computer on 400hz AC, and then intentionally gently caress up the shielding on your headset wires.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
550 euro ends up being pretty good deal for that simchair.

Over the course of my illustrious air goon career starting in 2013 I’ve experimented with various sim pit options. Table stands to table clamps to plywood boxes to side mounts to a plywood almost-ACES seat replica to metal holders on sliding DIY rails to two sim seats. By far best deal has been a 450$ chair similar to the linked one.

The key point is that you end up bleeding money with the other options. Nothing is ever right so you get more clamps, or you order custom parts or whatever. It never is perfect nor finished.

Or the path of lesser resistance: a solid half-thousand gets you an adjustable chair with precise mounting brackets and screw holes. The chair will move based on your leg length and you can get extension to it. It not only ends up as a more comfortable option but likely also cheaper.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Smithwick posted:

How handy are you and what are your technical design skills? I built my own stuff using 8020 aluminum profiles. Its what many of the cockpit builder use; like Sim-Labs. The stuff isn’t that much more complicated than Lego.

That Works posted:

I used plywood, 2x4 ripped down, some drawer slides and a Poang chair. Works well.

I have near 0 skills. I mean I can saw and drill but everything I do ends up crooked and janky. I would eventually be able to create something funtional, but very ugly, after half a dozen of iterations and hundreds of euros in wastage and man hours. I want it to be both adjustable and pretty. I'm willing to buld some minor extensions and additions but I really think I want the base frame to be something proper.

Vahakyla posted:

550 euro ends up being pretty good deal for that simchair.

Over the course of my illustrious air goon career starting in 2013 I’ve experimented with various sim pit options. Table stands to table clamps to plywood boxes to side mounts to a plywood almost-ACES seat replica to metal holders on sliding DIY rails to two sim seats. By far best deal has been a 450$ chair similar to the linked one.

The key point is that you end up bleeding money with the other options. Nothing is ever right so you get more clamps, or you order custom parts or whatever. It never is perfect nor finished.

Or the path of lesser resistance: a solid half-thousand gets you an adjustable chair with precise mounting brackets and screw holes. The chair will move based on your leg length and you can get extension to it. It not only ends up as a more comfortable option but likely also cheaper.

Do you really mean the chair, or the stand? I would like to keep using my office chair, as I don't have the space. With the link I was actually referring to the stand specifically (see below). The more I think about it, the more it seems like a 'buy for life' thing. It's got wheels to drive it in position. You can lock your chair into place. Can mount a yoke, panels, joystick, and throttle. Can mount keyboard / mouse. The price is still ridiculous but like you, I've had various clamp setups before that I ended up going back and forth on. And having a nice setup might make it easier to get back into DCS and AirGoons once my life quiets down a little. And I really miss that.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

VATSIM has a hilariously complex radio sim that actually models attenuation and interference based on terrain and the position of planes and the ATC ground transmitter, so it might have been from that. It's also kind of buggy, so it might have been from that.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Are they gonna make the water less wonky in 2024?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Google Butt posted:

Are they gonna make the water less wonky in 2024?

Are you suggesting that real lakes don't have strange watery cliffs in the middle of them?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

Are you suggesting that real lakes don't have strange watery cliffs in the middle of them?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Logitech yoke and throttle quad are 41% off today ($99)

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Pro-Flight-Yoke-System/dp/B07QXMTNPB/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is OnAir still the go-to career addon thingy? Game made MSFS an absolute blast to play and I'm wanting to pick it up again. I got really hooked at one point doing night flights and hauling cargo.