Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I loved my Steam Controller, though I have to admit that I wish there were two thumbsticks.

But yeah, they should make a new on that's the deck without the storage or screen. I'd buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

been doing a bit of flipping between the ROG Ally and the Steam Deck recently and one thing that really stands out over time is the ergonomics. the Ally is significantly lighter but I end up putting it down sooner because the device is just awkward to hold. valve absolutely nailed it and I wish everyone who made a device in this form factor was imitating them

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

PageMaster posted:

What's the best controller available that can do everything the deck does that isn't the deck? I'm stuck now on first person shooter controls with flickstick, touch gyro, triggers and Action layers. I'm assuming (hoping) those are doable within steam maybe on PC as long as the controller can do gyro? And on my Xbox I'm just out of luck?

?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gabe................Its time

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
So, the good news is I got my deck. The bad news is it's off to a rough start.

I get through all the installs and setup and get to my Steam library. I decide I'll give some Nova Drift a try. Hit install and... it instantly shifts to play, which seems odd. I know Nova Drift isn't a huge game but my internet isn't that great. Try to launch and I get the steam loading circle icon, which keeps spinning and spinning. I use the steam button to try something else, but it says Nova Drift is running and I shouldn't try to play two games at once. I hit to exit Nova Drift and it says "exiting..." for a minute and then goes back to Nova Drift is running with exit game listed as an option. Hitting the power button seems to just be a standby mode. I guess I could try going for a hard reset by holding the power button?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Holding Steam + B will force close give that a shot.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

Holding Steam + B will force close give that a shot.

That didn't do anything, though restarting the deck did, at which point Nova Drift showed an "Update" that's downloading the entire game. I'm going to put it off as setup weirdness unless it does it again.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is nova drift installed on your pc on the same network

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Bremen posted:

That didn't do anything, though restarting the deck did, at which point Nova Drift showed an "Update" that's downloading the entire game. I'm going to put it off as setup weirdness unless it does it again.

This might be it, since ProtonDB suggests the game should just work without screwing with things:

https://www.protondb.com/app/858210

Theres some suggestions to try like launch options, but it should work without headache.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My wifes Deck arrived today, though the replacement drive wont for a bit. What are some good multiplayer Deck games? Bonus if they can work with ad hoc networking because were at a cottage next week and expecting rain.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Super No Vacancy posted:

is nova drift installed on your pc on the same network

I wondered that too, if it was trying - and failing somehow! - to launch as an in-home remote play instead.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

secret volcano lair posted:

been doing a bit of flipping between the ROG Ally and the Steam Deck recently and one thing that really stands out over time is the ergonomics. the Ally is significantly lighter but I end up putting it down sooner because the device is just awkward to hold. valve absolutely nailed it and I wish everyone who made a device in this form factor was imitating them

I also flip between both and Im ok with the ally tbh. Its not as perfect as the deck but its the best of the bunch for the windows devices.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

And that's why we need to make fun of it.
Nah I like my ally, im more excited by valve support for the deck however but hey ally can steam too

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Squiggle posted:

I wondered that too, if it was trying - and failing somehow! - to launch as an in-home remote play instead.

This is quite likely it, yeah.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This stupid fuckin ally is way too finicky when it comes to chargers that it will accept at full power. Ive got a variety of ones from 65W+ to 100W and none of them let the dumb thing go to 30W lol

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The PS4 controller had a rear grip add-on in Japan, but even if you could get hold of it I'm not sure if it's compatible with Steam?
It came out in the US, still for sale on amazon for a $10 markup https://www.amazon.com/Dualshock-Button-Controller-Attachment-playstation-4/dp/B083JVPGMY/

Edit: There's a few of them out there for different prices so search around!

minusX fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 6, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The ps4 is a poo poo controller though. The ps5 one is significantly better.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
apart from the fact that it has like 3 hours of battery life

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
My new Steamdeck should arrive on Monday. I bought a much cheaper aluminum dock off of Amazon. Im low key excited to see how well this will replace my 12 year old desktop machine.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

MarcusSA posted:

The ps4 is a poo poo controller though. The ps5 one is significantly better.

The PS4 controller is great.

No idea if the PS5 controller is better - I don't have one - but the PS4 one has no issues.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
This with a rotating centre la that stupid Namco controller from the 90s would be the perfect controller.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Annath posted:

The PS4 controller is great.

No idea if the PS5 controller is better - I don't have one - but the PS4 one has no issues.

The PS5 one is dramatically better

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

We're slowly recreating the Atari Jaguar controller and I'm not sure how to feel about that.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

This stupid fuckin ally is way too finicky when it comes to chargers that it will accept at full power. Ive got a variety of ones from 65W+ to 100W and none of them let the dumb thing go to 30W lol

It literally only works with the proprietary charger that came in the box with it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm a degenerate because I have liked all of the PlayStation controllers released over the almost 30 years the PlayStation controller has existed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dreamcast was truly ahead of its time

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I'm a degenerate because I have liked all of the PlayStation controllers released over the almost 30 years the PlayStation controller has existed.

PlayStation controllers have only ever fit the human hand by coincidence.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
PlayStation controllers were the first to realize dual sticks were good, but they have ignored the left stick being in the wrong place for decades.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

This but unironically

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Put a little more space so that you dont bump your thumbs, please. Maybe a little OLED status screen!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

It literally only works with the proprietary charger that came in the box with it.

That is fuckin stupid.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

That is fuckin stupid.

That's ASUS!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Imaginary Friend posted:

This with a rotating centre la that stupid Namco controller from the 90s would be the perfect controller.

I had two Negcons and they were great for racing :colbert:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

This

But also I use an Xbone Bluetooth controller most of the time. Most controllers have always felt Just Fine to me.

Oh wait, except the n64 controller.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

tuyop posted:

This

But also I use an Xbone Bluetooth controller most of the time. Most controllers have always felt Just Fine to me.

Oh wait, except the n64 controller.

How dare you, the N64 controller was awesome.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Is there a standard make/model SSD people recommend for installing on the 64GB? I'd be okay with 512 or 1TB depending on the price.

How many GBs does the OS and stuff take up when it is sent/updates?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Tayter Swift posted:

I had two Negcons and they were great for racing :colbert:
Sorry, "stupid" was a harsh description as it was mostly meant for the looks of it. A rotating input would be cool for mouse scrolling, reloading weapons in fps:es in a cool fashion or wring out the water from a cloth in a washing clothes simulator.

Basically I want more silly/weird controllers that can be remapped in any fashion.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 7, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

err posted:

Is there a standard make/model SSD people recommend for installing on the 64GB? I'd be okay with 512 or 1TB depending on the price.

I think the "standard" (and fairly pricy) SSD is the iFixit one-- which is to say it's fairly popular on the internet compared to others for shoving into the Deck. There are cheaper ones on aliexpress

I bought the iFixit 2TB SSD! It's great!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

err posted:

No idea about space consumption but the Western Digital SN740 is perfect for the Deck and an absolute steal on Ali Express. I only havent bought one because I dont need the space yet.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mt1ldeC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

tuyop posted:

No idea about space consumption but the Western Digital SN740 is perfect for the Deck and an absolute steal on Ali Express. I only haven’t bought one because I don’t need the space yet.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mt1ldeC

How's the process of swapping out the drive? Like in terms of flashing the OS or whatever?

Is there a way to like clone the current drive and just expand into the empty space of the new drive?

I'd hate to have to re-download all the games/re-do all the settings on the new drive.