Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
that bard clearly boosted that job, there's no other explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Part of me gets why some people have difficulty with Bard; the abilities don't obviously flow into each other like melee dps combos or some other jobs (Summoner comes to mind), the irregularity of procs can feel like it dominates more than it does, and just the sight of multiple timers can make some people panic even though they're all the same length so it's not "juggle these timers" it's "do these things at the same time". Still, for me it just works.

It's like Tanxiety; it hits some common psychological weakpoints hard, it's not nearly that big of a deal, but knowing that doesn't make it go away.

My problem with Bard (apart from it being an upgrade to Archer, but that's moot) is that it feels lackluster. Granted, I'm only 69 (nice!), but it feels like I'm just throwing out Songs and the occasional DOT refresh while chipping away with one single attack, hoping that I'll proc my Slighty More Damage Chip Attack. Sure, I have a couple of OGCD skills, but what it really needs is a dedicated 1-2-3 combo.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Kheldarn posted:

My problem with Bard (apart from it being an upgrade to Archer, but that's moot) is that it feels lackluster. Granted, I'm only 69 (nice!), but it feels like I'm just throwing out Songs and the occasional DOT refresh while chipping away with one single attack, hoping that I'll proc my Slighty More Damage Chip Attack. Sure, I have a couple of OGCD skills, but what it really needs is a dedicated 1-2-3 combo.

Have you tried the Richard Kiel rotation?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Have you tried the Richard Kiel rotation?

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I hate watching for procs, and that's the bottom line

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah that's a thing. Since it's balanced around boss fights with dots rolling the whole time the power of their other skills is weaker and more than that it doesn't have many abilities where you *feel* strong. Apex Arrow at 80 kinda fills that gap, and double Apex at 90 feels really good to me, but if you compare the job to Machinist (particularly Drill, that button is an amazing power fantasy) or Summoner (their entire kit) it's lacking in buttons that feel fun to press with an appropriate punch.

As far as visual spectacle at 70 you get Refulgent arrow, an upgrade to Straight Shot that looks great and IMO only fails in the sound effect department otherwise it would be up there with Drill.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 6, 2023

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

even dnc has nice juicy big hits every so often so you still get to see big number while doing ranged damage. brd just feels flat most of the time

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
BRD is the fantasy of attacking constantly imo.

AoE spam into procced AoE blaster into another procced AoE blaster that might be oGCD(I forget) building up to the rail gun AoE blast

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bard needs the buttons that old Summoner had to apply both its dots at once and spread them around. It's also very counter-intuitive to tell players to fit three 45 second buffs into 120s by cutting two of them short.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FuturePastNow posted:

Bard needs the buttons that old Summoner had to apply both its dots at once and spread them around. It's also very counter-intuitive to tell players to fit three 45 second buffs into 120s by cutting two of them short.

As someone who mains Bard, there's no reason to give it the ability to spread DoTs, your DoTs don't actually affect anything anymore. Trash fights never last long enough for your DoTs to matter, which is why you only use them during the pulling process and stop applying them once the tank is situated. Also, you're only supposed to cut off Mage's early?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

I disagree on both points. Spreading dots is only useful in group pulls, it would be useful there but now that dots don't power anything else like they used to it's just damage, and I can't see adding more trash-only AoE buttons than the three we're already got, that's not where they put the design focus.

As for the songs, keeping those rolling is key to the job and putting a buffer on them is key to that. You've got 15 seconds across every 2 minutes to be sloppy, for the needs of the fight to nudge things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bard shoots song lasers

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I wish sch could spread it's dot

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Remember Bane? It's back, in PVP form.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Dumb question, but can someone give me the basics of Dragoon? Or perhaps a good resource for learning standard dragoon play?

My wife is wanting to pick up dragoon again, which she hasn't played since around Stormblood era and doesn't remember anything.

The problem I find with looking up information on jobs and rotations is everything online is built around "This is what you'll be doing for high parse savage raiding" and that's not what I'm looking for what. I just want "dragoon for beginners" so that she can just feel like she's competent enough in normal dungeons, trials, and 24mans.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Dumb question, but can someone give me the basics of Dragoon? Or perhaps a good resource for learning standard dragoon play?

My wife is wanting to pick up dragoon again, which she hasn't played since around Stormblood era and doesn't remember anything.

The problem I find with looking up information on jobs and rotations is everything online is built around "This is what you'll be doing for high parse savage raiding" and that's not what I'm looking for what. I just want "dragoon for beginners" so that she can just feel like she's competent enough in normal dungeons, trials, and 24mans.

For Dragoon your bread and butter is two separate 5-hit combos.

True Thrust -> Disembowel -> Chaos Thrust -> Wheeling Thrust -> Fang and Claw

This combo boosts your damage with Disembowel, and applies a DoT with Chaos Thrust. You then follow this up with

True Thrust -> Vorpal Thrust -> Full Thrust -> Fang and Claw -> Wheeling Thrust

By the time you finish this combo your damage buff and DoT should be close to falling off, so you just repeat the first combo again.

Meanwhile, you'll want to hit Jump / High Jump on cooldown, in between the combo steps. Then fire off Mirage Dive after the Jump. This gives you a stack of Gaze, and when you get two stacks of Gaze you can cast Geirskogul (do not cast Geirskogul without two stacks of Gaze), which will then immediately turn in Nastrond. You'll want to use Nastrond on cooldown while it's available, along with Stardiver once you hit 80. All of these abilites (Jump, Geirskogul, Nastrong, and Stardiver) are off the GCD, and should be woven in between your combo weaponskills.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
WeskAlber on YouTube has great introductory videos on all jobs that covers the abilities as you level and tries to encourage thinking for yourself how to incorporate your new abilities, by and large. They're awesome for leveling a job and getting a feel for how it plays as both a leveling experience and an introduction to casual endgame, with hints of what could be done to further optimize without going off into the weeds about it.

He's also got separate videos for role actions, too.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dragoon, as you get up in levels, becomes basically this endless looping chain in a way that many jobs claim to be but Dragoon actually really is.

It has enough oGCDs that you're nearly constantly weaving, but as far as beginner stuff, the weaponskill combos are a looping thing. You want to alternate the weaponskill combos, and each of the two combos has a 4th weaponskill it unlocks that in turn unlocks the other combos 4th hit before you go back to the shared starter button. Using High Jump gives Mirage Dive, 2 Mirage Dives makes one of your oGCDs Geirskogul activate a super mode with a short cooldown oGCD (Nastrond) and later a long cooldown oGCD (Starfire Dive).

At max level, every second time you get back to the first weaponskill after doing one of the 5 hit combos you get another oGCD (Wyrmind Thrust). Dragoon really kind of is built around you maintaining this twisting rhythm of your interwoven Weaponskill GCDs and huge number of Jumps and other oGCDs.

AoE is much simpler at least, just do the aoe weaponskill combo, you'll get wyrmmind thrust from it too.

In my personal experience, it's one of the jobs that feels the most "bad" if you lose track of the intended rotation, but the main thing is keeping the GCD combos squared, the oGCDs don't really need optimising so long as you're getting one between each weaponskill. Dragon Eye is also nice to use properly (target a friend) but not strictly necessary.

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

For Dragoon your bread and butter is two separate 5-hit combos.

True Thrust -> Disembowel -> Chaos Thrust -> Wheeling Thrust -> Fang and Claw

This combo boosts your damage with Disembowel, and applies a DoT with Chaos Thrust. You then follow this up with

True Thrust -> Vorpal Thrust -> Full Thrust -> Fang and Claw -> Wheeling Thrust

By the time you finish this combo your damage buff and DoT should be close to falling off, so you just repeat the first combo again.

Meanwhile, you'll want to hit Jump / High Jump on cooldown, in between the combo steps. Then fire off Mirage Dive after the Jump. This gives you a stack of Gaze, and when you get two stacks of Gaze you can cast Geirskogul (do not cast Geirskogul without two stacks of Gaze), which will then immediately turn in Nastrond. You'll want to use Nastrond on cooldown while it's available, along with Stardiver once you hit 80. All of these abilites (Jump, Geirskogul, Nastrong, and Stardiver) are off the GCD, and should be woven in between your combo weaponskills.

This is a much more concise and well written explanation of what I was trying to say.

Although as far as the whole jobs and rotations online stuff, unfortunately with the way the game is designed there kind of is only "one" way to really play any given job, obviously absurd micro-optimisations don't matter but all the melee jobs play more or less the same beginner or advanced in terms of what "feels good". The casters and Phys Range have it worse, or arguably better, because they're less strictly designed around clear weaponskill combo rotations and oGCD weaves. They still have rotations of course, but it isn't nearly as, strict I guess, in terms of how the game expects you to approach them.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 6, 2023

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

As mentioned, Wesk Alber's Dragoon Video will help.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

General summary
: Dragoon has a spine of 5 or 10 (depending how you count) ability combo running as your GCDs, and then adds in a lot of oGCD abilities between them including a burst phase every minute.

NOT OPTIMIZED BUTTON PLACEMENT, just where my brain's grouped them. Not my main job so I haven't put the effort into cleaning it up.
Red -- This is your spine. The rotation is 1/5/6/7/4 (first block, because it gives a buff) and then 1/2/3/4/7 (second block). Once you have all the abilities that will take enough time that it's time to refresh the buff/dot from the First Block, so you just alternate. At lower levels this can get weird. Note that 7 gets extra damage from the back, and 4 gets extra damage from the flank, but not "sacrifice everything to land this" levels.
Blue -- this is the main burst that you build, the base abilities are on 30sec cooldowns and it pops off every other cycle. High Jump activates Mirage Dive, every two Mirage Dives will make Gierskogul turn on Purple Mode where you get three uses of Nastrond (hiding under Gierskogul, changes automatically) and one of Stardiver.
Yellow -- Various damage buffs. 1 is every 60s, 2/3 are every 2mins, 4 is a 40s charge time and makes a single GCD attack (note that) crit. Ideally you use Life Surge with Heavens' Thrust (3) on the main chain. Dragon Sight (2) also tarkets an ally, giving both of you a damage boost (no range requirement like there used to be), a macro can help here unless you have another way to target people. It can still be used just on yourself, and nobody's gonna notice if you don't, so consider that a step above being functional
Purple -- This activates every time you do two blocks in the GCD spine (or one full combo if you prefer to think of it that way), just some extra damage.
Green -- extra jumps for damage and closing to melee, no other interactions to worry about
Pink -- Your GCD AoE attacks. Every two loops through them turns Purple on as well.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 6, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Icyveins' individual job leveling guides have a level slider so you get a basic idea of rotations for wherever you're at. Nothing ever tops asking goons though

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Saint Freak posted:

New meta dropped.

So uh

What does this player do when Mage’s Ballad runs out

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MechaX posted:

So uh

It's not like they're using their Bloodletters in the first place

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Bard dots are almost certainly getting culled in 7.0. Please look forward to it!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

If BRD dots were just one button instead of 3 that would be fine

But I wonder if all dots except for healer and caster dots get culled as its apparent that dots are basically just there to replace autos for melee / tanks / ranged dps

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Make a class that's nothing but single tick DOTs. Just the most baffflingly designed job in existence. Do it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Dragoon Talk

Kheldarn posted:

Dragoon Talk

Bruceski posted:

Dragoon Talk

Thank you all. This is exactly what I was looking for. This is much appreciated. I will pass the information on to her.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Thank you all. This is exactly what I was looking for. This is much appreciated. I will pass the information on to her.

I will also note that in a recent patch they changed up how you can see your abilities on the abilities tab. This groups them by function and is a different way to display a jobs abilities that may help make sense of things. While all of the above is great and why it's always better to ask a goon about these things, SE has done a good job on the ability tool tips to let you figure all this out on your own, if you want.
While dragoon is one of those fixed rotations that is more rigid than most, the best advice to anyone who wants to "do better" in content is ABC. Always be casting. Even if the button is wrong or suboptimal, you are doing more damage than pressing all the right buttons, slowly.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
i'm mad that i'm in a different CC tier and my queue times jumped from under 5 minutes to 10-indefinite

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

MechaX posted:

So uh

kill the process in task manager

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

hazardousmouse posted:

i'm mad that i'm in a different CC tier and my queue times jumped from under 5 minutes to 10-indefinite

Just do casual and hope you get the 1/10 chance that your team realizes it isn't a death match mode.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's not something that's going to be an issue for another year-ish, which is plenty of time to get used to how Dragoon works now and achieve some proficiency, but that 7.0 rework's still looming.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ojjeorago posted:

Just do casual and hope you get the 1/10 chance that your team realizes it isn't a death match mode.

After avoiding CC since its release I finally ground out my final Garo achievement/mount and getting 30 CC wins in casual took exactly 61 matches, so it's more like 50/50 in my experience (and I never have to touch CC again)

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 7, 2023

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Ojjeorago posted:

was kinda hoping to get to the rank that gets you both weapon aug items but that was iffy even before the queue elongation

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I really like EW Summoner but I won't lie I still really miss STB Summoner, it was fun farting DoTs everywhere and managing them.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bruceski posted:

...power fantasy...Summoner (their entire kit)...

Kitfox88 posted:

I really like EW Summoner but I won't lie I still really miss STB Summoner, it was fun farting DoTs everywhere and managing them.

Summoner feels weird to me, like anything that won't drop from two or three Ruins just gets BAHAMUT, PRIMAL SCOURGE OF ANCIENT ALLAG dropped on it. It's like Hyper Beaming a Pidgey. You're either doing what you did sub-30 or going all-out, they have no middle ground because you need to go through Bahamut to get to your mid-range summons.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Wait, you don't drop 150 power moves on rando wild pokemon you don't give a poo poo about? :confused:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kitfox88 posted:

Wait, you don't drop 150 power moves on rando wild pokemon you don't give a poo poo about? :confused:

I at least try and use a super-effective, Hyper Beam is just a hammer looking for a nail. :colbert:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Luckily the world of Pokemon is filled with nails, just like the world of Final Fantasy XIV. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hogama posted:

It's not something that's going to be an issue for another year-ish, which is plenty of time to get used to how Dragoon works now and achieve some proficiency, but that 7.0 rework's still looming.

I'm currently leveling Dragoon now, I can say that it really needs a Job Gauge rework. It's such a non-thing that you don't even get it until LEVEL 70. And once you do get it, all you can do with it is use a 1-2 combo twice to fill it up, then use another skill twice before it empties. Eventually, it'll last for 10 more seconds, meaning you can use the skill THREE times! And then, at Level 90, you unlock the 2nd part of the Gauge, and that requires a SEPERATE 1-2 combo being used twice, to use the OTHER ability, once!