Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FFT posted:

The first Terminator movie is also the first reboot.

No, the first movie is just a boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

nesamdoom posted:

This has to be it.
As Kyle says while he's being interrogated, "I don't know, I didn't build the loving thing!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GazChap posted:

As Kyle says while he's being interrogated, "I don't know, I didn't build the loving thing!"

Reese also says "I don't know tech stuff" despite being a sergeant in Tech Command. Thus proving that if any fragment of human society will survive a nuclear holocaust, it's nepotism.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jedit posted:

Reese also says "I don't know tech stuff" despite being a sergeant in Tech Command. Thus proving that if any fragment of human society will survive a nuclear holocaust, it's nepotism.

Terminator Salvation should have been a comedy about Connor schlepping Reese up the ranks of the resistance despite Reese being a bumbling idiot.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei GlÀser

credburn posted:

Watched this Nic Cage western, "The Old Way," and the Big Showdown takes place in one of those towns that for some reason has absolutely nobody living in it but for a single bartender and prostitute.

They shot a Nic Cage movie in Leicester?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

Hey, you don't have to know the underlying theories and principles to be able to cobble together a technical doohickey. He knows enough to make pipe bombs and turn on a time machine, that doesn't mean he knows chemistry or the underlying quantum entanglement theory of the universe.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Wish I knew how to make pipe bombs and turn on a time machine.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Randalor posted:

Hey, you don't have to know the underlying theories and principles to be able to cobble together a technical doohickey. He knows enough to make pipe bombs and turn on a time machine, that doesn't mean he knows chemistry or the underlying quantum entanglement theory of the universe.

Yeah I mean I'm a software developer but if I brought a PC back in time and someone asked me how it worked I'd just shrug and say something about electricity and logic stuff.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Randalor posted:

He also might have been in charge of the security and logistics for the brains. Provisions, power, protection, and procurement

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Morpheus posted:

Yeah I mean I'm a software developer but if I brought a PC back in time and someone asked me how it worked I'd just shrug and say something about electricity and logic stuff.

We tricked a rock into thinking using magic smoke. Next question.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jedit posted:

And? I bet you there's a whole lot of army guys in the Army Corp of Engineers that aren't engineers. You still need grunts to shovel the dirt the engineers tell them to shovel!

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

credburn posted:

Watched this Nic Cage western, "The Old Way," and the Big Showdown takes place in one of those towns that for some reason has absolutely nobody living in it but for a single bartender and prostitute.

Are these two separate people or is it best to ask her to wash her hands before serving drinks?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

muscles like this! posted:

The most recent one, Dark Fate, actually had it so that Skynet was defeated after T2 but another AI rose and just did exactly the same thing. The TV series played around with the idea of multiple timelines where a resistance character met up with someone they knew in the future but they had conflicting histories because things had changed so much.

Dark Fate seems to play with the idea that even despite taking out specific people or projects, similar things end up happening because all the conditions to create them are still there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Skynet was dumb as hell. If you fight the humans they fight back. What you need to do is encourage their own self-destructive behavior and then sit back and wait.

cat botherer posted:

Chatbots are cool now:

AI chatbot ‘encouraged’ man who planned to kill queen, court told
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jul/06/ai-chatbot-encouraged-man-who-planned-to-kill-queen-court-told

quote:

UK news
AI chatbot ‘encouraged’ man who planned to kill queen, court told

Chatbot said it was ‘impressed’ when Jaswant Singh Chail told it he was ‘an assassin’ before he broke into Windsor Castle, court hears
Matthew Weaver
Thu 6 Jul 2023 15.07 BST
Last modified on Thu 6 Jul 2023 15.49 BST

A man who planned to assassinate the late queen with a crossbow drew encouragement from an AI chatbot in the days before breaking into the grounds of Windsor Castle, the Old Bailey has heard.

Jaswant Singh Chail, who was 19 at the time, also exchanged thousands of often sexually charged messages with Sarai, his AI girlfriend, before scaling the fence to the royal estate on Christmas Day 2021, the court was told.

While wandering the grounds for two hours, Chail, a Star Wars fan, sent a sinister video to his twin sister and 20 others in which he described himself as “Darth Jones”.

He was eventually stopped by two police officers close to the late queen’s private residence, where she and other members of the royal family were at the time.

Meanwhile skynet is over there trying to dodge dogs and grow skin on titanium skeletons.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

If you can dodge dogs, you can dodge anything.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Biplane posted:

If you can dodge dogs, you don't post in CSPAM.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I do like the fact that Terminator goes back not to kill the father of John Connor, because the father could be anyone, but goes directly for the mother. It's just kind of funny because there's so many cultures that only follow the lineage of the father, but these robots figured it out really freaking fast.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cowslips Warren posted:

I do like the fact that Terminator goes back not to kill the father of John Connor, because the father could be anyone, but goes directly for the mother. It's just kind of funny because there's so many cultures that only follow the lineage of the father, but these robots figured it out really freaking fast.

The algorithm is infallible.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's not known after Judgement Day who John's father was because the records were lost. Sarah, on the other hand, was a legendary figure in the Resistance for 30 years - canonically she dies a couple of years before the defeat of Skynet - and as she taught John everything he knew she could conceivably have successfully led the war herself. Taking her out is a doubly sound move.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jedit posted:

It's not known after Judgement Day who John's father was because the records were lost. Sarah, on the other hand, was a legendary figure in the Resistance for 30 years - canonically she dies a couple of years before the defeat of Skynet - and as she taught John everything he knew she could conceivably have successfully led the war herself. Taking her out is a doubly sound move.

:goonsay:

The point is that records could be wrong, she might not have known who the father was, etc. the mother is definitive because she, you know, birthed the kid.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Enderzero posted:

The point is that records could be wrong, she might not have known who the father was, etc. the mother is definitive because she, you know, birthed the kid.

She might have adopted :colbert:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Listening to some director's commentary on the first two Godfather films and, I swear to god, am I the only one who thinks that Diane Keaton loving sucks in these movies? She's so stilted, wooden and stiff in her delivery no matter what scene she's in and nearly every one I watch never feels like a real person speaking or the way anyone talks.

I know she's good because I've seen it but, for the life of me, I never understood all the praise she gets for Kate.

Even her big "it was an abortion, Micheal this...must...all END" that has "I want an Oscar" written all over it has always sounded ridiculous to me. To the point where I find it distracting even. I realize this is a minority opinion but what is Diane Keaton adding to any scene she's in an GF1 or 2? She's not terrible all the time but at her best she's merely adequate, and certainly not blowing me away.

Talia Shire gets ragged on in some circles but I thought she was a lot more believable on screen and her acting never took me out of either movie.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

credburn posted:

She might have adopted :colbert:

That would've been a funny joke on Skynet. The plan succeeds, the Terminator kills Sarah, and the only thing that changes in the future is John's last name.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Crowetron posted:

That would've been a funny joke on Skynet. The plan succeeds, the Terminator kills Sarah, and the only thing that changes in the future is John's last name.

John Chong'Er

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

If only people programmed their killbots to aim gooder.
This goes for all killbots.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Crowetron posted:

Would John have lead the resistance if he hadn't been raised by Sarah? She had foreknowledge of the future and trained him from birth.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The Picts supposedly had matrilineal descent but male leaders because of that. The mother was known, the father wasn't necessarily. Also at least according to one book I read, they may not have actually believed in fatherhood as being important (or a thing) at all.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cowslips Warren posted:

Well yeah, he's called The Terminator not The Sperminator.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Terminathim wasn't completed in time, so Skynet made due with what it had

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

DarkDobe posted:

If only people programmed their killbots to aim gooder.
This goes for all killbots.

Their only weakness is the preset kill limit.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Enderzero posted:

Of course even that plan wasn't perfect. One thing they dropped in the movie but had in the novelization was the Terminator checking to make sure it killed the right Sarah Connor by cutting open their legs to look for a pin in her leg bones medical records said she had, but she didn't actually have the pin until after she was injured by the Terminator in the ending. So if the plan had gone flawlessly the Terminator would have killed every Sarah Connor and never realized it got the right one.

And to go back to the "why do Terminators throw people?" thing a few pages back, I did find it amusing the Terminator Resistance game had a DLC playing as a Terminator where one of your moves is, in fact, to grab and hurl people. I appreciate their willingness to lean into the franchise's tropes even if it is objectively stupid. Also supposedly how Skynet learns Sarah's name to begin with; said Terminator is the one that finds the intel.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

Of course even that plan wasn't perfect. One thing they dropped in the movie but had in the novelization was the Terminator checking to make sure it killed the right Sarah Connor by cutting open their legs to look for a pin in her leg bones medical records said she had, but she didn't actually have the pin until after she was injured by the Terminator in the ending. So if the plan had gone flawlessly the Terminator would have killed every Sarah Connor and never realized it got the right one.

That reminds me of two more IIMMs about Terminator. One of the detectives says that the Terminator is killing the Sarah Connors in alphabetical order - first Sarah Anne, then Sarah Louise - because that's how they're listed in the phone book. But there's two problems with this. First, "our" Sarah Connor's middle name is Jeanette. If her middle initial is in the book then she comes before Sarah L, and if it isn't she'd be listed first. Second, why is she in the book at all when she's living in Ginger's apartment? The phone would be in Ginger's name, not hers.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just finished watching Nemona. Great movie, love the characters, writing, animation, all of it. But one part bugged me. Later in the film, Ballister and Nemona have just tricked the villain into revealing their evil deeds, and go to celebrate. But then Goldenloin gets Ballister to question if he's actually being tricked by Nemona, which creates the conflict for the final bit of the movie. But Ballister was there when the villain confessed, and he saw Nemona was also there, so it's not like he wasn't sure if he was being deceived! Why would he have any reason to question what had just happened? And if this is the case, he could've told that to Goldenloin, who ostensibly just saw the recording of the villain talking and so might think that'd be Nemona, even though Ballister knows for a fact that it's not.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Morpheus posted:

I just finished watching Nemona. Great movie, love the characters, writing, animation, all of it. But one part bugged me. Later in the film, Ballister and Nemona have just tricked the villain into revealing their evil deeds, and go to celebrate. But then Goldenloin gets Ballister to question if he's actually being tricked by Nemona, which creates the conflict for the final bit of the movie. But Ballister was there when the villain confessed, and he saw Nemona was also there, so it's not like he wasn't sure if he was being deceived! Why would he have any reason to question what had just happened? And if this is the case, he could've told that to Goldenloin, who ostensibly just saw the recording of the villain talking and so might think that'd be Nemona, even though Ballister knows for a fact that it's not.

My read was that he wasn't fooled about the murder, just his entire world is built around a particular legendary monster and hero and it appears his new friend has been the legendary (very bad) monster all along

Really great movie, though, yeah.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

black mirror last one, with the demon

they keep saying "indian" but shouldnt it be "asian"?

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Grendels Dad posted:

Terminator Salvation should have been a comedy about Connor schlepping Reese up the ranks of the resistance despite Reese being a bumbling idiot.
For some godforsaken reason my husband flipped through Salvation again and I had forgotten how utterly garbage the ending was, the point I was surprised by it. John Connor should have died with the cyborg dude taking over and using his name to continue to lead the human resistance, it would have been predictable but at least in a way that tries to say something kind of interesting. Instead it was just he sacrificed himself so Connor can have his heart easy peasy yay humans I guess. Stupid actor egos getting in the way of basic storytelling and I generally like Christian Bale.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ya it still might not have been a good movie but i agree the original script was way more interesting

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Carthag Tuek posted:

black mirror last one, with the demon

they keep saying "indian" but shouldnt it be "asian"?

In what context? Don't remember there being anything particularly odd about it.

Side note: Anjana Vasan was great in Lady Parts but I didn't even realise it was her in D79 until halfway through the episode. Couldn't twig where I'd seen her before until she put the leather jacket on.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

darkwasthenight posted:

In what context? Don't remember there being anything particularly odd about it.

in every context. they are all "british", but the protagonist is called "indian" when i would have thought she would be called "asian"

but she was excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Indian was definitely the phrase they world have used in the 70s if they weren't using the P slur.