Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
THE S BLADE HAS A HACKBLOOD CHARGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
we're working on a free mini episode (4-5 maps?) with more story cutscenes and a wallet chain weapon and a few new enemies. gonna release alongside the other console ports later in the year. >: )

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Can't get the demo for Hellslinger to boot, it does the GZDoom startup and then immediately crashes...

Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows? If so you'll need to make an exception for the game exe - same thing happens with Supplice.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Finally getting round to playing some Slayers X and I love how the dead enemy sprites have full rotation as well. This feels like playing old Duke 3D levels off PC Zone cover CDs

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Convex posted:

Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows? If so you'll need to make an exception for the game exe - same thing happens with Supplice.

Nope I have that setting off, was kind of able to get it running by loading the files through ZDL but some of the graphics weren't working properly

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

beep beep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M82cCqf-pn4

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Say, has there been any news on the enhanced edition of System Shock 2? I was always under the impression that it would be coming out alongside the SS1 remake, but so far I've heard nothing about it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Anyone done Boltgun on exterminatus? I really want to get a perfect achievement game and the secrets I could do on the easiest difficulty if need be. Also, why would some games not count towards a perfect game? I understand why for demos (although Idk why'd they have achievements anyway) but I did all the zortch achievements and... nothing. If there was more incoming it seems like it should still count until they're added. Very frustrating, I just like watching the number go up

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Milo and POTUS posted:

Anyone done Boltgun on exterminatus? I really want to get a perfect achievement game and the secrets I could do on the easiest difficulty if need be. Also, why would some games not count towards a perfect game? I understand why for demos (although Idk why'd they have achievements anyway) but I did all the zortch achievements and... nothing. If there was more incoming it seems like it should still count until they're added. Very frustrating, I just like watching the number go up

Yeah, I did. It's not bad honestly, but the difficulty is very uneven.

Regarding why some games don't count toward the "perfect games" count, it's generally because the game is in the "Steam is learning about this game" state or is in the "Profile features limited" state. For reference, this is on the Zortch page right now:
...which means that Steam is still trying to suss out if the product is junkware or not--and until that happens, its stats won't affect your profile metrics, basically.

To my understanding, games have to generally sell a certain volume, have a certain number of reviews, or come from developers/publishers with a preexisting reputable catalog on Steam to circumvent this limitation.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Gaspy Conana posted:

we're working on a free mini episode (4-5 maps?) with more story cutscenes and a wallet chain weapon and a few new enemies. gonna release alongside the other console ports later in the year. >: )

If you make a DLC episode I'd happily buy it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

bbcisdabomb posted:

If you make a DLC episode I'd happily buy it.

.69 cents XD

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I checked out a level or two on Exterminatus and it just seemed to be Emperor's Mercy with even more enemies. Having just finished that and finding the last few levels a slog from enemy density I uninstalled and moved on.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Up to the boise potato festival in Slayers X and still really enjoying myself. It's a fun game to explore and hunting for secrets is quite compulsive. I also noticed Zane has different sprites for every weapon he holds when looking in the mirror, which is funny when there have only been about 4 mirrors so far in the game.

The game it's reminding me of the most is WGRealms 2: Siege Breaker, which was a very entertaining Duke3D level pack recommended by this thread, or the previous iteration, back in 2009 or so. I just checked ModDB and there's a new update to it which came out last year called DEMON THRONE, anyone tried it?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, I did. It's not bad honestly, but the difficulty is very uneven.

What does activating the guns on the second level do anyway? I didn't do it and it's doesn't seemed like it negatively affected me in anyway

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
still have yet to play Demon Throne, but it's usually mentioned in the same breath as AMC Squad and Alien Armageddon (often by the devs of both projects) so it's probably pretty good and I should check it out.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Milo and POTUS posted:

What does activating the guns on the second level do anyway? I didn't do it and it's doesn't seemed like it negatively affected me in anyway

No idea. I recall what you’re talking about and I did the same thing, but I don’t think it actually did anything.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

add vehicles to slayersx

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

and death match

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tiny Timbs posted:

add vehicles to slayersx

Tbh, unrestrained, poorly implemented feature creep would add more verisimilitude to the whole thing

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Zane getting his own BFG weapon and it's just a ripoff of Goku's Spirit Bomb.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Zane is cool as hell

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
im zan

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

I'm gonna mindcrash you u

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
my dead. also i'm butt hole?

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I was just playing a little bit of UT3 (I was thinking about CTF-Vertebrae because I've always found the concept kind of neat) and I think what's most frustrating about the game is that it had the potential to be a really good follow-up to 2004 but it just quite couldn't make it there. in particular the aesthetics really do hold the whole thing back pretty substantially, there's just so many additional and unnecessary greebles added to everything for no real pay off. it's especially annoying because without that stuff, a lot of the maps would probably look pretty good, CTF-OmicronDawn for example, is a fairly standard UT map flying in orbit around a planet, but the structure you are in is pretty interesting architecturally and the skybox looks fantastic, with the planet looking like it's on fire with the light of dawn. but then you look closer at your immediate surroundings and it just kind of sucks, everything is grey and brown, nothing really pops. it's weird, the map layout is not bad, the idea and concept of the map is really solid, but it just fails to come together entirely. it's especially a pity because if it were a 99 or 2004 map it'd probably look and feel so much better if it followed the aesthetics of those games.

there's other good qualities too though. imo the game actually has really nice weapon feel, arguably better than 2004 in some cases. the Bio Rifle and Link Gun really stand out, they both feel considerably better than in 2004, with the Link Gun in particular feeling much more like a viable weapon, whereas in 2004 it tends to feel less immediately useful than most of the other weapons.

I really like the gimmicks on some of the maps. CTF-Vertebrae is really interesting, since it's a CTF map that is nearly entirely vertical and winds up playing surprisingly well despite how unusual the layout is. VCTF-Kargo has another good gimmick: a Goliath tank is in the center of the map which is neutral and can be driven by either team, HOWEVER it is totally unable to leave the area it is in and is restricted to moving forwards and backwards along a small path, so it winds up being this extremely powerful turret that grants a massive advantage to whichever team has it.

also I dunno if this is a hot take or not, but I think Warfare is actually better than Onslaught on the whole, at least in terms of the mechanics available. I think adding the Orb to Warfare was a good idea, since it can allow for some big plays and stop long and drawn out stalemates from happening. I recall before the game came out Warfare was said to be a mix of Assault and Onslaught, but it never really was that, it's basically just an improved Onslaught with more gimmicky maps, but I think having that expectation set and then not having Assault come back was a pretty bad move.

also the Necris vehicles don't seem balanced at all but they rule. the Nemesis tank is so simple yet so fun.

I personally like the game but it's still overall a pretty big disappointment compared to 99 and 2004.

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 7, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Everytime I remember UT3 somewhat fondly I rewatch the trailer and laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUCMqEI9AWg

AND THEN THE WAR CAME

I still remember the day they announced they were adding UT3 to steam and physical copies could be redeemed so I picked up a bargain bin copy for $5 and put the key in and it was terrible

But hey at least it had the hoverboard and the ragdoll button

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
yeesh that's a bad trailer

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I was just playing a little bit of UT3 (I was thinking about CTF-Vertebrae because I've always found the concept kind of neat) and I think what's most frustrating about the game is that it had the potential to be a really good follow-up to 2004 but it just quite couldn't make it there. in particular the aesthetics really do hold the whole thing back pretty substantially, there's just so many additional and unnecessary greebles added to everything for no real pay off. it's especially annoying because without that stuff, a lot of the maps would probably look pretty good, CTF-OmicronDawn for example, is a fairly standard UT map flying in orbit around a planet, but the structure you are in is pretty interesting architecturally and the skybox looks fantastic, with the planet looking like it's on fire with the light of dawn. but then you look closer at your immediate surroundings and it just kind of sucks, everything is grey and brown, nothing really pops. it's weird, the map layout is not bad, the idea and concept of the map is really solid, but it just fails to come together entirely. it's especially a pity because if it were a 99 or 2004 map it'd probably look and feel so much better if it followed the aesthetics of those games.

I really do feel like that chunky boy hyper-greebled visual-chaos aesthetic that rubbed off on UT3 after Cliffy B pioneered it with Gears of War is just irredeemable garbage and one of the worst things to happen to a number of games in the 2000's. It's like the industry equivalent of a Rob Liefeld drawing, like you can tell that they just started somewhere and had no idea where they were going, but they kept drawing pouches (or adding greebles and doodads) until they got there.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I really do feel like that chunky boy hyper-greebled visual-chaos aesthetic that rubbed off on UT3 after Cliffy B pioneered it with Gears of War is just irredeemable garbage and one of the worst things to happen to a number of games in the 2000's. It's like the industry equivalent of a Rob Liefeld drawing, like you can tell that they just started somewhere and had no idea where they were going, but they kept drawing pouches (or adding greebles and doodads) until they got there.

it definitely has the vibe of the developers realizing that they now had the capability of doing it, without actually considering if it actually looked pleasing or not. thus, pipes and bumps everywhere just because it's next gen now. what's funny too is that I kind of get why they did it like they did, Gears of War was huge, and presumably they just thought this is what people wanted, and surely there were some people in 2007 who were blown away by how UT3 looks, though that seems really silly 16 years later.

I was thinking earlier too, I wonder how hosed up the Ripper would be if it was brought back for 3. there's so many weird bits of geometry all over the maps that it would be a nightmare to try and successfully do bank shots. years ago Black Ops 3 added a one-hit kill disc launcher that functions on the same principles as the Ripper and it's extremely fiddly to use that kind of thing in a game where the rooms aren't largely made out of 90 degree angles.

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 8, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Too many games trying to ape Gears of War, CoD, or Borderlands in terms of visuals and not enough games trying to do things the Team Fortress 2 way

Weedle
May 31, 2006

what better way to show off the ultra-crisp 720p output of the new consoles than by sticking a bunch of random poo poo everywhere??

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Look how many polygons we can put in a character now! Look how high-resolution the normal maps are! We’re going to do this as hard as we can just so we’re sure you’re impressed!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

idk how the music in Slayers X manages to sound more like the music from my childhood than the actual music from my childhood does, but I did not expect to be hit with this level of nostalgia

that 'against the wall' song transported me back to when I was 12 or 13, at my friends house, and hearing 'immortal' by adema coming from the bedroom of his much cooler, JNCOs wearing older brother and being captivated.

to some degree im still upset that by the time i came of age, being a cool nu metal guy was no longer a thing.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Wow I have not thought of Adema in a LOOOONG time

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

A powerlifter with skin like a hot dog grunts and screams down a hypergothic hallway. He wields a sword that also has a chainsaw on it, and Gary Jules' Mad World plays softly, diegetically, in the background.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
after playing some UT3 earlier, I fired up UT99 to cleanse my palate and jesus is this game better. anyway I played a whole bunch of CTF and I wanted to share some cool custom maps that I installed at some point in the distant past.

behold CTF-DRS-SuessInABox, a really flashy CTF symmetrical map by Squirrelinabox. really fun, highly recommended.

this is CTF-20AC-Valhalla by Bob "Porch Viking" Harrison. it's a relatively recent map from at least 2019. it's got a bifrost bridge leading to the middle of the map for each team, which is a nice touch.

here we have CTF-FacePalm, a variation on CTF-Face by Creavion. it's a lot lot regular Face, but there's some extra space in the middle and it features weapons that aren't normally found on the original map, the Bio Rifle and such. honestly not a huge deviation from regular Face, but still good fun.

CTF-GreenHillZone by Eric Poggel has a huge amount of love poured into it, with custom pickups, new mechanics (loop de loops that really work! kind of!). it's a pretty gigantic map with maybe not quite enough cover at each flag, but the whole vibe of the map is so good that it doesn't really matter.

CTF-HolidayOnIce by G. Garau is pretty much exactly what it looks like: each time spawns in their own locker room, with either flag behind a net. the ice is slick, but not uncontrollably so and the map plays out quite quickly. it's not super well-balanced (it's not at all hard to just wipe out the opposing team as they leave their locker room.

CTF-Noctambulant by Paul "TAZ" Mader is incredibly cool looking, if I recall correctly the design of it, with the weirdly shaped windows and buildings was inspired by the author watching old looney tunes cartoons. it's lovely to look at and plays very well.

CTF-Antipody by Cory Spooner is much more special than the screenshot might suggest, it appears to be something of an inverse CTF-Face, as if the towers of either team we just slammed into each other, with multiple paths between either base on both the outside and via teleporters. it's an interesting idea, naturally it plays nothing like Facing Worlds at all, which frankly is kind of a relief, given how many maps seem to be inspired by it.

most of the maps can be found here: https://utfiles.lagout.org/Maps/CTF/. this seems to have most every map that's ever been released, at least out to a certain point. Valhalla, being a bit newer, can be found on its UT99.org page: https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13573&p=116619#p116619

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I don't even really know that I can put my finger on how UT3 failed so bad as a follow up to 2k4. It feels like it should have been a slam dunk and it just sucked. It was not fun at all to play.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the readability in UT3 was so bad they had to make players and vehicles glow their team colour progressively brighter at a distance, which was also ugly as hell

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
343 have given an update on "Digsite", their collaboration with the Halo mod community to dig up a bunch of unfinished poo poo from the Halo series' voluminous cutting room floor, and, uh, finish it for modders to mess with. The first release is coming soon. Later releases will have that Halo 2 E3 demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The Kins posted:

343 have given an update on "Digsite", their collaboration with the Halo mod community to dig up a bunch of unfinished poo poo from the Halo series' voluminous cutting room floor, and, uh, finish it for modders to mess with. The first release is coming soon. Later releases will have that Halo 2 E3 demo.

As somebody who has played the MCC but is otherwise fairly unplugged from the Haloverse, what is that creature in the photo? I saw that it was the primary photo of their news update, but then the updated ended up being like twenty pages long and I must have missed it if it was called out in the update somewhere.