Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
And in a place where only a small minority of people own cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Egypt makes American sprawl look like an urbanist paradise. Too much traffic? Build a new city and move the capitol there.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Ten vast and toll-less lanes of stone,

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

man has been building stupid things in egypt for quite some time this is the ugliest but no less wasteful than a mountain of stone blocks or a cat with a dudes head

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Rochallor posted:

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Eh, still feels nice to be right.
"Up yours car brains"

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

man has been building stupid things in egypt for quite some time this is the ugliest but no less wasteful than a mountain of stone blocks or a cat with a dudes head

those look cool op

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is that a motherfucking crosswalk on a 10 lane highway?

E: oh nevermind they are arrows

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

PittTheElder posted:

Is that a motherfucking crosswalk on a 10 lane highway?

I think they're superimposed graphics to show travel direction.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Centrist Committee posted:

it’s amazing to me that WFH during the pandemic appeared as an abrupt but easily absorbed system shock but even with that literal free gift of nature capital is determined to deny the laws of thermodynamics in order to keep the commercial real estate market from collapsing

But then we won't be burning fuel idling in traffic so the fuel retailers aren't getting their cut of our money.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I was just looking at e-scooters as they're legal to ride on the footpath and road in NZ, and I see a fair few people commuting on them in the city. There's no legal maximum speed but they're supposed to be limited to less than 300W motor power. I couldn't see any for sale at a local shop with less than an 800W motor, and when I looked up what the rental ones here are I found some news articles basically implying that the rental companies lied to the government about how powerful their motors are too (because a 300W motor will absolutely not move a heavy adult up a steep hill, of which we have many here).

Power limits for e-bikes and scooters etc. Always seemed weird to me vs. Speed limits. Surely if you're looking to minimize injuries/harm then speed limits are a better way of doing things. I also get annoyed at heavily restricting things like ebikes and scooters when they're vastly better in so many ways to practically unrestricted cars, but I guess there's not really an e-bike or scooter lobby.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike, which was the original patient when it came to toll highways in the USA, just recently attained the status of most expensive toll road in the whole World

It was only supposed to be a toll road at the beginning and that's how it was sold to the public. It's a roll road till we get our money back, then it'll be free

Lol

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Blackhawk posted:

I was just looking at e-scooters as they're legal to ride on the footpath and road in NZ, and I see a fair few people commuting on them in the city. There's no legal maximum speed but they're supposed to be limited to less than 300W motor power. I couldn't see any for sale at a local shop with less than an 800W motor, and when I looked up what the rental ones here are I found some news articles basically implying that the rental companies lied to the government about how powerful their motors are too (because a 300W motor will absolutely not move a heavy adult up a steep hill, of which we have many here).

Power limits for e-bikes and scooters etc. Always seemed weird to me vs. Speed limits. Surely if you're looking to minimize injuries/harm then speed limits are a better way of doing things. I also get annoyed at heavily restricting things like ebikes and scooters when they're vastly better in so many ways to practically unrestricted cars, but I guess there's not really an e-bike or scooter lobby.

drat they should put those speed limiters into cars

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Pennsylvania Turnpike, which was the original patient when it came to toll highways in the USA, just recently attained the status of most expensive toll road in the whole World

It was only supposed to be a toll road at the beginning and that's how it was sold to the public. It's a roll road till we get our money back, then it'll be free

Lol

Good keep it as a toll road

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Lol

I hate driving as much as anyone else but this is dipshit conservative propaganda. Per mile driven it's not expensive at all.

"The PA turnpike is the most expensive toll road in the world" is carcuck poo poo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Corporations should have to pay to run their trucks on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, vehicles over a very very severe limit of tonnage should have to pay. All others should travel free

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

A toll is a usage fee and all usage fees are regressive. Make trucks pay because they do all the wear and tear on the roads. You could drive a million Honda Fits across a short stretch of highway and it would be fine.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I hate driving as much as anyone else but this is dipshit conservative propaganda. Per mile driven it's not expensive at all.

"The PA turnpike is the most expensive toll road in the world" is carcuck poo poo
It should be free

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

A toll is a usage fee and all usage fees are regressive. Make trucks pay because they do all the wear and tear on the roads. You could drive a million Honda Fits across a short stretch of highway and it would be fine.

Have you seen how heavy modern SUVs and light trucks are. This is not even adding electric cars that are even heavier

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

It should be free

Free interstates got you the American car brain

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017

Blackhawk posted:

:yeah:

300 W is about 0.4 hp. Meanwhile, there is no limit to how much power motor vehicles can have where I live. A 15 year old on a learner's permit can drive a Durango SRT Hellcat with a 710 hp (529 kW) engine.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I currently walk to work, but I might be buying a house, and if I do it will go from a 3/4 mile walk up a fairly steep hill to a 3/4 mile walk, a 20-minute light rail trip, and another 3/4 mile walk up a steep hill.

Much as I like walking, I don't relish the idea of an hour-long commute; what's a good e-scooter to haul a fatass up a steep hill?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

All roads should be free but gas should cost $20/gallon to start, problem solved.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Ham Equity posted:

I currently walk to work, but I might be buying a house, and if I do it will go from a 3/4 mile walk up a fairly steep hill to a 3/4 mile walk, a 20-minute light rail trip, and another 3/4 mile walk up a steep hill.

Much as I like walking, I don't relish the idea of an hour-long commute; what's a good e-scooter to haul a fatass up a steep hill?

Get an ebike

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

eXXon posted:

All roads should be free but gas should cost $20/gallon to start, problem solved.

ah, so you want rich drivers only... interesting

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Real hurthling! posted:

its considerably more wasteful

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mawarannahr posted:

ah, so you want rich drivers only... interesting

Not rich drivers, just high-level appartchik drivers.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It should be free

Free of its material burden after we tear it down and put up train tracks, yes

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Mandoric posted:

Transit worldwide, including where it's done far better, is full of schemes that are naked grift to developers, honestly. Of the top ten stations in Tokyo, all but two are where private or public-private lines connect with the national trunks, and of the top five three are anchored by a major department store or hotel owned by the relevant line, which is usually scattered with company-developed or redeveloped towns.

Yeah. China is (in)famous for building subway lines to empty fields and the usual suspects keep mocking them for it but if you check back later whoops all massive dense buildings and a huge ridership.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Harik posted:

Yeah. China is (in)famous for building subway lines to empty fields and the usual suspects keep mocking them for it but if you check back later whoops all massive dense buildings and a huge ridership.
you'll have to excuse the mocking, most of us in the US have never seen infrastructure built with an actual plan

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lmao it doesn't even make the top 10 most expensive

Chesapeake Expressway in Virginia: $1.31/mile.

Methodology sucks though because in orlando they're lumping in 7 seperate roads, some of which are extremely long with the tiny and hilariously expensive 408. Sorry 528 actually travels to the coast, 408 was the one the local city council sold to themselves for a dollar.

Also we have toll lanes in our toll roads, lmao. Because just being $6 for the trip isn't enough there's another $10 worth of express lanes you can pay for to get priority exit to the express lanes on I4.

It's all hilariously stupid and I laugh at it out the window of the light rail.

Harik has issued a correction as of 06:09 on Jul 7, 2023

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Harik posted:

This would never work in the US because people wouldn't be allowed to build any housing near the station.

We built a new station to the north in Seattle and it's surrounded by surface parking lots. Sound Transit--our local multi-county transit agency--is spending $350 million on parking. $200,000 per loving paying space. And they aren't even going to charge for the parking.

Ham Equity has issued a correction as of 06:14 on Jul 7, 2023

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Ham Equity posted:

This would never work in the US because people wouldn't be allowed to build any housing near the station.

We built a new static to the north in Seattle and it's surrounded by surface parking lots. Sound Transit--our local multi-county transit agency--is spending $350 million on parking. $200,000 per loving paying space. And they aren't even going to charge for the parking.

well yeah, their constituents (car dealerships) are well served by the money they've spent on buying politicians.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ham Equity posted:

We built a new station to the north in Seattle and it's surrounded by surface parking lots. Sound Transit--our local multi-county transit agency--is spending $350 million on parking. $200,000 per loving paying space. And they aren't even going to charge for the parking.

In Berkeley people are flipping TFO over a proposal to turn about one third of this parking lot into housing. Apparently it would ruin the character of the neighborhood. No further specifics about the exact color nature of that character and how it will be ruined are ever provided.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

drat they should put those speed limiters into cars

Yeah that's the thing, ebikes in europe are speed AND power limited, to 25 kph and 250W respectively, while cars are neither speed nor power limited! I mean I know that cars are speed limited by the honor system, but ebikes have to be hard limited in the firmware, which cars don't despite it being extremely possible these days to have a car hardware speed limited with limits set by GPS location or something.

The rental e-scooters in my city are hard-limited to 15 kph when in the CBD but can go faster in the suburbs, which they do using the GPS on the scooter, but a similar thing will never be done to the car.

I get that people don't want super powerful ebikes and e-scooters racing all over the place but the risk and harm that presents is a drop in the bucket compared to cars, so the level of restriction seems completely disproportionate.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

withak posted:

In Berkeley people are flipping TFO over a proposal to turn about one third of this parking lot into housing. Apparently it would ruin the character of the neighborhood. No further specifics about the exact color nature of that character and how it will be ruined are ever provided.

i live almost right next to it and used to my stop when i worked in sf. during the 'before times' the lot was busy but it's now one of the least used stations, like 80-85% drop in ridership and the lots are just entirely empty all the time. i don't actually think it will be all that successful because it's a heavy car-dependent area still and not much around for many blocks, infill along San Pablo with BRT would be vastly more useful overall, but more the merrier.

the weird thing is it's actually not that white/rich of an area and on the border of the historic "poorer/ghetto" area.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hell, until recently, Denver's RTD was forbidden by state law from using land it owns around its stations for anything other than parking. That just recently changed and they've already floated ideas to tear up some portions of their parking to develop/lease to developers, and naturally, people are freaking the gently caress out at the thought that there are other ways to get to a train station than driving and parking there.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Celexi posted:

Free interstates got you the American car brain

It should be free and closed imo

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

It should be free and closed imo

The French are talking about slowly squeezing the highways around Paris, perhaps not destroy them, but cover them and use them for mass transit.

Turnpikes between cities are probably fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Rochallor posted: