Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

aBagorn posted:

it's possible to make observations about religion without making GBS threads on it generally, for the sake of religious goons who might be reading
I think a big problem is that the original piece is so reductive and binary in itself that it ends up talking about sky wizards rather than actual religion, because it is steeped in a particular type of conservative Evangelical Protestantism that refuses to examine any other viewpoint (or even itself).

For example as Subodh Varma wrote about Vedic materialism in India, or Fred Clark wrote about the perils of Biblical literalism, or as Sea of Faith promotes about Liturgy as more like beautiful art or literature than matter of fact there are many paths of religion that don't involve rejecting reason and learning (most are big fans of it) that are far more interesting than some dude clapping his hands and then stuff exists.

Jerry Bergman Ph.D.* would call all of those people 'atheists' though, because he's a young earth creationist and therefore falls straight into the inelastic worldview that replaces philosophy and beauty and faith with the type of uncritical beliefs and dickbag behaviors that make me doubt the sincerity of his commitment to 'thought diversity'.

*from Columbia Pacific University, a non-accredited correspondence-school that was court ordered to cease operations in 1999 lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
To each their own; I just can't fathom seeing the horrible poo poo that happens in our garbage world and thinking "yes, there is a loving creator watching over us." But that's not every religion nor every religious philosophy. There's no need to be reductive about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't think that kind of YEC logic has ever been about a loving creator, it's always been about preserving what they see as the 'correct' power hierarchy as a natural order. That's why it goes hand in hand with Qanon, sectarian violence, segregation, etc.

Or when arch-atheists like Big Brain Dick Dorkass ends up using creationist logic to justify his transphobia.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
God, I'm so happy my New Atheist phase flared up and died down within about a year back in 2007. Like, not only for myself because I ended up being a fairly well-rounded non-dipshit, but it would have absolutely broken my brain to see Dawkins say "hrm, they've got a point though" while quoting the same exact people pushing Creationism in schools, just about gender instead of that whole business.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Guavanaut posted:

Or when arch-atheists like Big Brain Dick Dorkass ends up using creationist logic to justify his transphobia.

The best thing is when they calmly, rationally reinvent religion and arrive at simulation theory.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wow.
It's such a stupid non-point that I don't even know how you'd begin to rebut it because it's so stupid.

"Don't tell me you like french fries if you didn't want to eat a raw potato earlier!"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm not going to accept Mitchell Hooper as a strongman because he wasn't always that big.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

the_steve posted:

Wow.
It's such a stupid non-point that I don't even know how you'd begin to rebut it because it's so stupid.

"Don't tell me you like french fries if you didn't want to eat a raw potato earlier!"

It's circular logic for them. They don't accept other people can be trans, so from there project that onto trans people by simply assuming they don't accept who they are either. It's a way to blame their unacceptance on their targets ie victim blaming.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Panfilo posted:

It's circular logic for them. They don't accept other people can be trans, so from there project that onto trans people by simply assuming they don't accept who they are either. It's a way to blame their unacceptance on their targets ie victim blaming.

It's also even stupider if you just make it about being gay and not even necessarily trans.

Like, I know several people who "didn't accept themselves for who they were" because they struggled with being gay or bisexual, myself included. And society sure wasn't lending a hand in that regard during the heyday of AIDS jokes, comedians like Eddie Murphy, Dice and Sam Kinison and when just being gay was a punchline in and of itself.

Why didn't we just accept ourselves while being called f*****s who deserved to die for having sex?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's America's birthday, so you know what that means!

quote:

“Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence? Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War. They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor. What kind of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well-educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured. Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags. Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward. Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton. At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt. Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months. John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid. Remember: freedom is never free! We thank these early patriots, as well as those patriots now fighting to KEEP our freedom! I hope you will show your support by sending this to as many people as you can, please. It's time we get the word out that patriotism is NOT a sin, and the Fourth of July has more MEANING to it than beer, fireworks, hot dogs, and picnics.”

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

quote:

as well as those patriots now fighting to KEEP our freedom!

:jerkbag:

Seems particularly out of step this year in the wake of Dobbs and the Affirmative Action and student loans decisions from SCrOTUS.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"farmers"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Those noble plantation workers, who risked the loss of their "uncompensated workforce" for a chance to lower taxes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Republicans in my area seem to be turning it into their own red and white blue version of Halloween, if anecdotal evidence means anything.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Panfilo posted:

This is Nic Cage from National Treasure, right?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

quote:

I get tired of Democrats claiming to be on the “right side of history” when both their past and their present are so utterly sordid and destructive. So, if you are a Democrat, let me tell you about MY side of history and YOUR side of history.

My side of history is Cato the Elder, John Locke, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Irving Babbitt and William F. Buckley.  Your side of history is Thomas Hobbes, Karl Marx, Josef Stalin, Mao’s Little Red Book and Noam Chomsky.

My side of history is George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Martin Luther King, Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump.  Your side of history is Tories who fled to Canada, Jefferson Davis, Woodrow Wilson, Bull Connor, George Wallace and Nancy Pelosi.

My side of history is freedom of thought, freedom of speech, freedom of religion and spirited debate.  Your side of history is ThoughtCrime, Speech Codes, religious persecution and Cancel Culture.

My side of history is Brown v. Board of Ed., Loving v. VA, Gitlow v. NY, and Heller v. DC.  Your side of history is Dred Scott, Korematsu and Roe v. Wade.

My side of history is Jackie Robinson.  Your side of history is Colin Kaepernick.

My side of history is head held high, standing straight, hand over heart.  Your side of history is sullen glances at the ground, kneeling.

My side of history is the family as the foundation of society. Your side of history is mutilating confused children.

My side of history is the rockets’ red glare.  Your side of history is imagine no religion.

My side of history is firefighters going up the stairs into the Twin Towers.  Your side of history is 28-year-old men playing Call of Duty in their mothers’ basements.

My side of history is smoked brisket.  Your side of history is a no-foam, no-sugar, soy latte.

My side of history is Lincoln freeing the slaves and General Patton liberating Buchenwald.  Your side of history is Fort Sumter, the Gulag and Pol Pot’s killing fields.

My side of history is Mel Brooks.  Your side of history is Amy Schumer.

My side of history is all men and women are created equal and endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights.  Your side of history is critical theory and only some lives matter.

My side of history is 20-year-olds storming Omaha Beach. Your side of history is 20-year-olds in their safe spaces with adult coloring books.

My side of history is American men and women disabled by an IED.  Your side of history is American men and women disabled by anxiety.

My side of history is the Kentucky Rifle, the Springfield 1861, the M1911, the M1 Garand, the M14 and the AR15.  Your side of history is whimpering submission.

My side of history is Thomas Edison, the Wright Brothers, Apollo 11 and Jonas Salk.  Your side of history is “global warming,” 100+ genders and porous cloth masks stopping viruses.

My side is of history is laughing babies.  Your side of history is selling aborted baby parts on the open market.

My side of history is the Sistine Chapel and Monet’s water lilies.  Your side of history is an inverted crucifix in a bottle of urine.

My side of history is construction.  Your side of history is deconstruction.

My side of history is civilization.  Your side of history is nihilism.

And, MOST OF ALL:

My side of history is liberty.  Your side of history is tyranny.

*finis*

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Panfilo posted:

My side of history is the Sistine Chapel and Monet’s water lilies. Your side of history is an inverted crucifix in a bottle of urine.

what

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm guessing they mean Piss Christ? Even though it's... nothing like that, done by a Christian artist, and actually reverent of its subject matter? It's a remarkably moving image, I was not expecting that when I finally saw it after hearing people whine about it my whole life.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There's a lot of hate about that but claiming Loving as "your side" can gently caress right off

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

These go out of date quicker and quicker, he's still claiming Jonas Salk, one of history's greatest monsters.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Otoh, pairing him with Thomas Edison makes perfect sense.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

VitalSigns posted:

These go out of date quicker and quicker, he's still claiming Jonas Salk, one of history's greatest monsters.

The polio vaccine guy? What did he do, did I miss something?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
iirc there were some credible ethics concerns with the early vaccine trials, but I think it's more that the Q wing of the GOP have cycled back to

so wouldn't claim Salk.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

So just run of the mill right wing hypocrisy then.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Starts off absolutely insufferable and gets worse the longer it goes on. But lmao especially at

quote:

My side of history is the rockets’ red glare

Yeah I don't think that makes you look quite like you think it makes you look, champ.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
famous republican icon mel brooks

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

After The War posted:

I'm guessing they mean Piss Christ? Even though it's... nothing like that, done by a Christian artist, and actually reverent of its subject matter? It's a remarkably moving image, I was not expecting that when I finally saw it after hearing people whine about it my whole life.

didnt Glen Beck piss in a jar with an Obama toy(bobble head?) and try to sell it for money?

also naming artists from different centuries iirc.

(i've recently looked through a great childrens art book that does a pink frosted donut in various styles and it does a decent job of baby's first art histroy lesson)

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

InsertPotPun posted:

They keep trying to claim him because Blazing Saddles had people saying the N-word in it. Like, that's the entirety of it. Memes floating around about how "it couldn't be made today" and "everyone's too afraid of offense," etc. They don't understand anything about what it was in service to. Or anything else about the movie.

Also it almost wasn't made back then because the suits were goddamn terrified of giving offense with how it used the N-word. The biggest resistance to making it now would be fear of offending the chuds, who'd pitch a giant hissy fit because it's a movie made by a Jewish man where a Black man and another Jewish man manage to regularly outsmart all the racist idiots and the opportunistic white capitalist who's happy to exploit racism to make a buck even if he doesn't openly demonstrate much personal prejudice.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

disposablewords posted:

Also it almost wasn't made back then because the suits were goddamn terrified of giving offense with how it used the N-word. The biggest resistance to making it now would be fear of offending the chuds, who'd pitch a giant hissy fit because it's a movie made by a Jewish man where a Black man and another Jewish man manage to regularly outsmart all the racist idiots and the opportunistic white capitalist who's happy to exploit racism to make a buck even if he doesn't openly demonstrate much personal prejudice.
Yeah, I keep saying that the Mel Brooks movie you couldn't make in TYOOL 2023 is The Producers, because any movie whose core joke is mocking Hitler would get crybullied by chuds who thought it was criticizing their side.

It also almost didn't get made back then, because people were concerned about Hitler jokes being in bad taste.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i'm pretty sure the suits back then were more worried about having a black star rather than using the n-word

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
A big part of what worried the suits was the movie absolutely pissing all over the beloved tropes of the Western genre. Which it did so effectively that it all but killed the idealized white-hat black-hat cowboy hero.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Lemniscate Blue posted:

A big part of what worried the suits was the movie absolutely pissing all over the beloved tropes of the Western genre. Which it did so effectively that it all but killed the idealized white-hat black-hat cowboy hero.

Yeah, I don't think any single work has ever so thoroughly and fundamentally cored an entire genre so near and dear to conservative romanticism than Blazing Saddles did to the classic western. You can almost divide the whole genre into before and after (and I've seen critics who do that.) There have been genre parodies more vicious in various media, but anything that had the same sort of public resonance? I can't think of anything.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, I don't think any single work has ever so thoroughly and fundamentally cored an entire genre so near and dear to conservative romanticism than Blazing Saddles did to the classic western. You can almost divide the whole genre into before and after (and I've seen critics who do that.) There have been genre parodies more vicious in various media, but anything that had the same sort of public resonance? I can't think of anything.

Austin Powers?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

InsertPotPun posted:

Right up there with MLK Jr.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, anyone who says "you couldn't make Blazing Saddles these days because they say the n-word and discuss race" is deliberately ignoring BlacKkKlansman (2018) and Keanu (2016) and basically half of anything Jordan Peele or Spike Lee have been involved in recently. You couldn't make Blazing Saddles these days because it changed the narrative so much that it wouldn't make sense to make it these days, unless you picked a more modern type of conservative romanticism like Clancywank or copaganda to do the same thing with.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Panfilo posted:

My side of history is American men and women disabled by an IED. Your side of history is American men and women disabled by anxiety.

This part's pretty good/confusing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think the implication is that being disabled from an explosion is more understandable to the author than being disabled by mental illness, because it is physical and tangible to him.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Libra posted:

This part's pretty good/confusing.

My side is war heroes, your side is limp wristed pansies who have anxiety, which doesn't exist or is not seen as a legitimate thing by me.

Panfilo posted:

I think the implication is that being disabled from an explosion is more understandable to the author than being disabled by mental illness, because it is physical and tangible to him.

Yeah, that. "My team actually has something to be disabled about."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

the_steve posted:

My side is war heroes, your side is limp wristed pansies who have anxiety, which doesn't exist or is not seen as a legitimate thing by me.

Yeah, that. "My team actually has something to be disabled about."

Also, Boomers think they won World War II.