Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

I like how I could immediately tell it was a Chinese produced globe solely due to the type font

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

sticksy posted:

I like how I could immediately tell it was a Chinese produced globe solely due to the type font

also the 9-dash line

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

IT BURNS posted:

There are also dashes adjacent to the green country right next to her head, and the 9-dash line is actually 8 dashes in this pic, but whatevs.

Haha good point

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is the most i-am-sick-of-this-poo poo energy ive ever seen a lawyer evince in public

https://harrisbricken.com/chinalawblog/how-to-safely-reduce-your-china-product-prices-because-now-is-the-time/

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So what’s the deal with the nine-dash line? China aggressively claims sovereignty over international waters?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they have some revancherie going on for almost all of their neighbors

and they gotta lotta neighbors

arunachal pradesh, south china sea, east china sea / senkaku, taiwan, of course, bhutan, paracel islands, mongolia after the sino soviet split, weirdoes going on about vladivostok...

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 7, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

So what’s the deal with the nine-dash line? China aggressively claims sovereignty over international waters?

And some national waters.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

thetoughestbean posted:

China claims more or less the entirety of the South China Sea, ignoring the territories of all the other countries there and occasionally attacking ships in international waters or the territories of those other countries.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also they constantly fish in other nations' territorial waters claiming them as their own.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the fishermen are the ones harrassing the other countries, they're basically paramilitary

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also they constantly fish in other nations' territorial waters claiming them as their own.

I remember when the Sewol disaster happened in Korea, the government brought every ship back to port for weeks and for some reason this also included the navy and coast guard, so there were tons of pictures of hundreds of Chinese fishing ships right offshore grabbing as many fish as they could while the authorities were gone. It was hilarious.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

why would they call it the south china sea if the rest of the world did not mean for china to have it? that wouldn’t make any sense at all

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

weirdoes going on about vladivostok...

Honestly, one of the more reasonable claims

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Dick Fontaine posted:

why would they call it the south china sea if the rest of the world did not mean for china to have it? that wouldn’t make any sense at all

See, it’s the sea of south China, not the sea south of China!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

China claims more or less the entirety of the South China Sea, ignoring the territories of all the other countries there and occasionally attacking ships in international waters or the territories of those other countries.

To put it into perspective China claims the sea out to ~1500nm from the Chinese coast, right up to 12nm of the coasts of everyone bordering that sea. They don't claim this as an economic zone or anything like that (which would also be insane), but rather as sovereign Chinese territory under Chinese rather than international law. For obvious reasons nobody else, particularly those reliant on the sea for trade/ resources or not interested in great powers just claiming the world's oceans, recognize this claim.

It'd be like the US just deciding one day that the entire gulf of Mexico and Caribbean are now part of Florida, right up to Cuban and Venezuelan shores. Because Columbus saw a rock over there poking out of the water - we just can't show you any evidence of this.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

the West Philippine Sea

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Warbadger posted:

To put it into perspective China claims the sea out to ~1500nm from the Chinese coast, right up to 12nm of the coasts of everyone bordering that sea. They don't claim this as an economic zone or anything like that (which would also be insane), but rather as sovereign Chinese territory under Chinese rather than international law. For obvious reasons nobody else, particularly those reliant on the sea for trade/ resources or not interested in great powers just claiming the world's oceans, recognize this claim.

It'd be like the US just deciding one day that the entire gulf of Mexico and Caribbean are now part of Florida, right up to Cuban and Venezuelan shores. Because Columbus saw a rock over there poking out of the water - we just can't show you any evidence of this.

not really the best example due to the monroe doctine and roosevelt corollary and the history of the US "enforcing" those. this isn't whataboutism because it was bad when the US did that and it's bad for China to do it now.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

CNN posted:

A restaurant in China that challenged its customers to eat more than 100 dumplings in return for a free meal has fallen foul of authorities, who are investigating whether it has violated the country’s anti-food waste law.

Local authorities in Yibin city in the southwestern province of Sichuan swooped on the restaurant after hearing of its “king of big stomach challenge,” the state-affiliated news outlet The Cover reported this week.

The challenge reportedly involved patrons competing to eat 108 chaoshous, or spicy wonton dumplings, as quickly as possible to win a free meal and additional prizes.

To drum up interest, the restaurant had advertised the offer on social media to entice patrons only to find itself in the hot seat when the State Administration for Market Regulation said it would open an investigation into whether it had breached the law surrounding food waste.

The Cover said the restaurant, which it did not name, was one of several being probed by the authorities over similar competitions.

Chinese leader Xi Jinping has in the past called food waste “shocking and distressing” and in March this year said agricultural supplies were like the foundation of national security.

The law against wasting food was enacted in 2021, following pointed government criticisms of online bloggers who live-streamed themselves binge eating to draw in viewers. Many of their accounts were subsequently suspended by the social media platforms.

Under the law, restaurant owners can be fined up to 10,000 yuan ($1,400) if their establishments “induce or mislead customers to order excessively to cause obvious waste.”

Radio and television stations, as well as online video and audio providers, face a maximum fine of 10 times that amount if they are found to be involved in “making, publishing, promoting programs or audio messages about eating excessively and binge eating and drinking.”

The restaurant in Yibin “demonstrates behaviors of binge eating and drinking and inducing customers to order excessively,” the Cover said, citing the local market regulator.

Now I'm worried about Liu Shichao, world's best binge drinker

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i think i could put away 50 or so back in the day. 108 might be a bit tricky

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I ate 100 dumplings on a bet once

Felt like my stomach was going to burst the next 3 days

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

xi just wants it banned because he couldnt do it himself

as for me? light work

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There was a time I think I could've eaten 108 dumplings. Sadly, with age has come limits.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cool Han Luke eating 50 egg yolk mooncakes

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
eat 54, it's the intention not the number, namaste

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Pham Nuwen posted:

Cool Han Luke

hahaha

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
As expected, the hkleaks site giving out HK protesters personal info was a PRC government operation.
https://citizenlab.ca/2023/07/hkleaks-covert-and-overt-online-harassment-tactics-to-repress-the-2019-hong-kong-protests/

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Mr. Fix It posted:

not really the best example due to the monroe doctine and roosevelt corollary and the history of the US "enforcing" those. this isn't whataboutism because it was bad when the US did that and it's bad for China to do it now.

Why the past tense about the Monroe stuff, given events in South America these days?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Atopian posted:

Why the past tense about the Monroe stuff, given events in South America these days?

Our misadventures there doesn't really have anything to do with the Monroe stuff. Different ideas, even if the results suck equally.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Atopian posted:

i dunno, i guess whatever fuckery the US is up to now seems more subtle and thus less analogous to wolf warrior diplomacy.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

quote:

The White House's disorientation provided the long-awaited opening for the U.S. officials at the embassy in Manila, in the State Department, and in the CIA to mount a challenge to the policy of uncritical support and forge an alternative policy of dealing with Marcos. Heading up this effort was Ambassador Michael Armacost, considered one of the State Department's most capable career officers. It was Armacost's intense lobbying that persuaded Reagan not to go on with a scheduled visit to the Philippines in November 1983. And it was Armacost, promoted in the spring of 1984 to the powerful post of undersecretary for political affairs at the State Department, who fashioned the diplomacy of “distancing" from Marcos and the strategy of electoral stabilization.

A few months after the fall of Marcos, Armacost laid out, in very candid terms, the key elements of the strategy in a talk at the Foreign Service Institute on April 23, 1986. With the discredited Marcos obviously in poor health in late 1983, “one of the objectives of our policy was to avoid the succession [to power] by those suspected of involvement in the crime, like Imelda [Marcos], [Eduardo] Cojuangco, and Gen. [Fabian] Ver. If this happened it could lead to more instability.”

Other prongs in the State Department strategy were to push Marcos to allow a clean investigation into the Aquino murder, divide the opposition by coopting the middle-class-based elite opposition, and prod the dictator into a limited power-sharing arrangement with the elite opposition.

The State Department strategy was essentially one of creating a "Third Force" between the left and the authoritarian right in power. Or as Armacost put it in his candid Foreign Service Institute speech, “Our objective was to capture . . . to encourage the democratic forces of the center, then consolidate control by the middle and also win away the soft support of the NPA." [ed note: the Maoist New People's Army, the Philippine communist insurgency, which was rising from strength to strength during the closing years of the Marcos administration. The first one, not the current one.]

The pragmatists' strategy was not preplanned and then imposed on events, but developed in interaction with the fluid situation. To take a low profile in an atmosphere of growing nationalism was essential. Rather than lead overtly, U.S. policy makers had to evolve a stance of "cueing in to initiatives pushed by the business class and the middle class," which Armacost described as "the ultimate arbiter of succession." Nor was the end the total overthrow of Marcos. Rather it was to press him to open up the political system, to force him to share power. "Ultimately," Armacost said, “our role was one of helping Marcos reach the right conclusions from events and developments."

- from Walden Bello's From Dictatorship to Elite Populism: The United States and the Philippine Crisis, collected in Crisis and Confrontation: Ronald Reagan's Foreign Policy, ed. Morris Morley

Anyway, so, China.

There's a lot of writing on Chinese fear of 和平演变 "peaceful evolution" painted as a paranoia dating back to Mao, but my hot take is that the modern theory of colour revolution is quite distinct from Dulles writing/Mao responding in 1959. In key ways it is almost completely reversed - Dulles's theory of communist success was quite particular. He was confident that the forces which deliver victories are those who can present conquest after conquest, who can rapidly demoralize potential resistance in the event of a coup; a stark difference from the later Armacost/Lilley-period faith in middle class activists. In Dulles's time the point of reference is the repeated Soviet success in Central Europe through coups (that is, apparently spontaneous uprisings that present a fait accompli ratified by the installed government inviting Soviet troops in, with relatively little expense of blood and treasure) as opposed to communist failures in Greece and Korea (stymied by Western military aid at clearly unsustainably increasing cost). When Dulles is talking about foiling Communist aggression, he is talking about what looks strikingly like a strategy to resist pro-communist colour revolutions, without the dreadful costs of open war, by pressuring the Soviet camp to regularize sovereignty and domestic order (as it would with the Helsinki Accords later in 1975). He thinks this will stop communist expansion, rather than lead to communist downfall as such; the most he dares hope for is communist stagnation (for rather different reasons than eventually occurred, anyway). When Mao demands a response, he specifies escalation into world revolution and maintaining the worldwide confrontation between capitalist and communist forces. The maintenance of domestic resolve and cohesion is, I think, in that context a sideline description of a "home front" (by a country without official diplomatic recognition by the United States, at the time), rather than the central emphasis. After all, that home front will be locked in continuous revolution anyway, where there is change all the time within a narrow band of self-correcting communist consensus.

Of course Chinese governments now emphasize the reading of Dulles prefiguring the colour revolution theory three decades early, and instead call for a world of "mutual respect" and "peaceful co-existence" without a hint of irony.

Like Dulles in the early 1960s, the domestic policy debate is not between imperialism and not-imperialism - no domestic element considers giving up one's rightful ascendancy an acceptable outcome - but between defining that sphere through active confrontation or passive ossification. Xi's diagnosis of Soviet downfall (from lack of faith in itself) is strikingly similar to Dulles's exhortation for the Western allies to not buy into narratives of Soviet inevitability. On the active side, well, ask New Delhi about that.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I keep seeing this pop up on social media but I can't find anything about an actual ruling and searching in chinese brings up nothing, is this actually true or is it a twitter invention

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1683378516031868929

https://twitter.com/jacksonhinklle/status/1683228229715345408

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

I keep seeing this pop up on social media but I can't find anything about an actual ruling and searching in chinese brings up nothing, is this actually true or is it a twitter invention

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1683378516031868929

https://twitter.com/jacksonhinklle/status/1683228229715345408

There isn't going to be an actual ruling, this sort of thing is not put into law in China. I haven't seen any real sources talk about it yet, but this is the way things have been going there for a while so it wouldn't surprise me. They've been censoring things that depict gay characters already.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Jackson Hinkle calls himself a MAGA Communist whose main ideology is just being a huge piece of poo poo. Assume everything he says is a lie, even if it’s true

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I blocked that guy ages ago. Far as I can tell this is going around because people just now found out China's been censoring media depicting LGBT people for years, it's nothing new.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
jackson hinkle is one of the single last people on the entire internet that anyone should listen to about anything

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
also lol @ the context notes refuting that with an article from 2018 predating china's much more recent pushback on lgbtq visibility in media

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
jin xing is unquestionably the caitlyn jenner of china, only she didnt kill randoes with impunity

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The foreign minister is gone btw, the whole "tv personality mistress flying on a private jet to the US to give birth to purposefully get an anchor baby citizen child and accidentally an american heir to the married chinese peoples minister of foreign affairs" thing got a bit out of hand.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-appoints-wang-yi-its-new-foreign-minister-replacing-absent-qin-gang-2023-07-25/

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The foreign minister is gone btw, the whole "tv personality mistress flying on a private jet to the US to give birth to purposefully get an anchor baby citizen child and accidentally an american heir to the married chinese peoples minister of foreign affairs" thing got a bit out of hand.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-appoints-wang-yi-its-new-foreign-minister-replacing-absent-qin-gang-2023-07-25/

Must keep the bloodline pure, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the actual excuse is that he was sick as hell, which seems also plausible