Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I wonder what their rework of Dragoon is going to be like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Stab -> Staba -> Stabga -> Stabja

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
At the very least, it and Astrologian's were delayed due to the negative Samurai-losing-Kaiten feedback, so presumably it would at least have been as involved as that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I"m very excited for another AST rework so AST can be dogshit at the start of literally every expansion it's existed in

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
make dragon sight an on-instance permanent ability like dance partner

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

aw frig aw dang it posted:

Stab -> Staba -> Stabga -> Stabja

Except the Gubal Mages changed it to Stab I > Stab II > Stab III > Stab IV

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

make dragon sight an on-instance permanent ability like dance partner

Very much this, yes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dragoon is now a pet class, it gets a full-size dragon.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Dragoon was a pet class in 11 and it sucked.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

this time, Dragoon is the pet

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

My big guess for the rework, since they directly cited Kaiten as why they held off, is they're gonna take out the lifesteal-auto DH button at minimum.

Also in terms of the job gauge, that used to be relevant earlier, when Life of the Dragon had to be maintained rather than just being a passive buff, it would count down how long you had left, and some buttons gave you more time, alongside the current thing of showing how long you have left in Blood of the Dragon (or they're the other way around in terms of name but same deal).

Also we're almost certainly not getting a pet class in FFXIV, we might get a dot class, but the pet mechanics in this game are true hell.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

They can make a pet class work if they actually build it as a pet class from the get go instead of the weird hybrid poo poo SMN was in ARR.

Honestly you could just steal mechanical poo poo from Reaper and have it work similar to that.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

They're gonna do Dragoon like Monk and push a baby version of Life of the Dragon into Lancer levels, probably adding a bunch of new skills that reuse old defunct animations and upgrade into the existing stuff. Them just trimming Life Surge doesn't really scream "rework" to me, though. They've said multiple times that they think Dragoon's rotation is really good so they're probably just gonna do something with how it has so many buffs it needs to line up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
"You can make a good pet class in this game, you just have to base it on Reaper, a job with literally no pet mechanics whatsoever that only has a 'pet' for graphical flair."

Hot take: AST needs no overhaul whatsoever, and I think the devs might've realized it. It's finally reached a point where the RNG that's integral to its job's identity is both present and doesn't gently caress over the team by drawing bad. (Well, RNG can easily gently caress you out of extra damage in any instance where you get nothing but melee DPS and then you keep drawing ranged buff cards, but that feels like the problem exists outside of the AST.)

I'd also prefer to see any other job get revamped before AST, because AST is the only healer that's designed in the way I actually want healers to be designed: by having enough non-healing support tools that, when there's nobody to heal, they're not just reduced to just being a budget-value DPS until someone else gets brained over the head.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 7, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Chillgamesh posted:

They're gonna do Dragoon like Monk and push a baby version of Life of the Dragon into Lancer levels, probably adding a bunch of new skills that reuse old defunct animations and upgrade into the existing stuff. Them just trimming Life Surge doesn't really scream "rework" to me, though. They've said multiple times that they think Dragoon's rotation is really good so they're probably just gonna do something with how it has so many buffs it needs to line up.

The rework is explicitly that it is "too good". There's nothing to add or change to make the rotation better anymore, so they either just give bigger numbers and fancier animations, or they change it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

"You can make a good pet class in this game, you just have to base it on Reaper, a job with literally no pet mechanics whatsoever that only has a 'pet' for graphical flair."

Yeah that's...a pet class in an mmo. I mean you could give it an HP bar if you want but it's still just a separate platform for your class actions.

Cleretic posted:

I'd also prefer to see any other job get revamped before AST, because AST is the only healer that's designed in the way I actually want healers to be designed: by having enough non-healing support tools that, when there's nobody to heal, they're not just reduced to just being a budget-value DPS until someone else gets brained over the head.

All of AST's non-healing support tools are a small damage buff, GCD reducer and...a bunch of healing buttons

So...the same as SCH.

And evne then you're still just budget-value DPS with a few slightly fancier oGCDs! Like you never don't want to be using your GCDs for damage if there's nobody to heal. What are you on about? What are you doing that's not casing Malefic/Combust over and over while weaving cards between GCDs for more damage. That's just what every healer does with their class poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 7, 2023

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i like pet classes that have actual pets that do cool stuff :colbert:

reaper is not a good pet class because you can't have your avatar follow you around.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Legitimately AST does not have anything that fills GCD to be doing when you have no one to heal unless you're just actively that bad at draw/play during the weave window.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

AST's 2 minute burst is card buffs, I guess? Rather than its own damage buttons like Sage and WHM (kinda).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

AST's 2 minute burst is card buffs, I guess? Rather than its own damage buttons like Sage and WHM (kinda).

I mean that's still not things to be doing other than casting Malefic when there's no one to heal, you do that poo poo inbetween Malefic and combust casts. Hell, divination being a seperate cooldown from the markers now you don't even worry about cards as much for the 2 minute, at least not enough to blow full gcds since not everyone is going to line up perfectly anyway. At most you pull a card pre-pull, but that's something the other healers emulated between shield casts/potion popping etc.

Also SCH does that as well with chain strat, still inbetween GCD casts of Broil

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I mean that's still not things to be doing other than casting Malefic when there's no one to heal, you do that poo poo inbetween Malefic and combust casts.

Also SCH does that as well with chain strat, still inbetween GCD casts of Broil

True, it still kind of feels more supporty to be putting cards out on people even if it is oGCD based.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

True, it still kind of feels more supporty to be putting cards out on people even if it is oGCD based.

Yeah but her point was " by having enough non-healing support tools that, when there's nobody to heal, they're not just reduced to just being a budget-value DPS until someone else gets brained over the head."

Which is..not true because you play that same game as AST because the cards are meant to be pulled between GCD casts, and weaving poo poo and setting up heals/bubbles/shields/regens before hits happens is something every healer does at higher level play so it's not even like ES or Horoscope are giving you more room to do anything other than just spam malefic.

Like on SCH or SGE I'm doing almost constant non-healing support between casts of Broil for most of the fight. usually though pre-shielding with abilities or setting up raw damage mits or just Spamming Energy drain between casts to justify eating my fairy. Every class in this game is a DPS, it's how its designed, even AST.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 7, 2023

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
AST isn't supposed to play the cards as they draw them anyway. You bank them so you have one card drawn and two more about to be ready to be drawn for each divination window so you can dump three cards during the 2 minute burst windows+divination (using the extra card during the odd minute window).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hyper Inferno posted:

AST isn't supposed to play the cards as they draw them anyway. You bank them so you have one card drawn and two more about to be ready to be drawn for each divination window so you can dump three cards during the 2 minute burst windows+divination (using the extra card during the odd minute window).

They mirror Phlegma casts on SGE that way, with the total overall damage usually coming out to be about the same. Mostly because the high end SGE players are insane optimizing freaks.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Play, Redraw & Astrodyne are more work than the misc dps stuff other healers get (which are: fitting Phlegma & Lilies around movement and group burst, using Energy Drain & Dissipate in ways that do not bite you), even if they are things done between Malefics. Spending additional button presses on buffs is an understandable thing to like, if hardly a paradigm shift.

Healer optimization for all the jobs is still primarily about figuring out how to use your and your party's off-GCDs and your movement tools to maximize the number of basic nukes you cast. This is unlikely to change.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah, the thing with AST is that every thirty seconds you get to do things that aren't either vomiting out green numbers or spamming Malefic. And that doesn't sound like much at first, but it's something that none of the others really do, and the fact that gameplay actually isn't just constantly in a two-minute cycle means that it can cluster in fun ways. AST starts basically every fight by rapidly figuring out the best way to play three cards right as they draw them, and that's pretty fun.

Perhaps AST isn't the dream 'support-oriented healer' I wish it was, but it's easily the closest out of any jobs available, and a little bit goes a long way. Xerophyte's right, the feeling of doing things beyond the basics is almost more important than actually having the ability to do them.

After all, people like Living Shadow, and that poo poo's just a slightly fancy DoT.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 7, 2023

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I feel like timing cards to capture high potency parts of a player's rotation is the bigger part of banking cards rather than the incremental multiplicative synergy of raid buffs all going off at the same time. Like capturing all of SAM's huge burst buttons vs. the filler is a pretty big difference. And is also why Dark Knight or Dancer gets priority on cards sometimes because they pack so much potency in those windows and otherwise would be near the bottom of the list.

The part that took me getting a bit getting used to is the fact that you prioritize buffing melee DPS (generally) over having the third seal for your own Astrodyne. Which makes sense after looking at just how different personal DPS can be compared between classes but still feels weird.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, the thing with AST is that every thirty seconds you get to do things that aren't either vomiting out green numbers or spamming Malefic.

Again, that's true of SGE and SCH as well.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
Are there any guides to how PF markers are set up in NA? I tried EX6 as my first extreme a few days ago and it took me getting yelled at to figure out what each one meant (clock spots, light parties, partners). I've got it now but I imagine other fights have different setups.

Edit: I specifically mean the pre-pull setup markers. During the fight I have no problem figuring out which marker goes with which mechanic.

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 7, 2023

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Are you talking about the single marker, two diagonal marker, then 4 diagonal marker setup? AFAIK, that kind of setup is new to this patch and it's the first time I've seen anything like it in PF.

Probably due to people really utilizing the expanded waymark preset saves available now.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Joe Chip posted:

Are there any guides to how PF markers are set up in NA? I tried EX6 as my first extreme a few days ago and it took me getting yelled at to figure out what each one meant (clock spots, light parties, partners). I've got it now but I imagine other fights have different setups.
This site lists strats (also waymarks and other prepull setup) used on Aether for PF groups, and apparently everyone just DC travels there for Extreme+ fights now anyway so it's even more relevant than it was in P1-4S https://www.thepfstrat.com

Here's the page for EX6 specifically https://www.thepfstrat.com/ex/golbez
Doesn't have the four markers toward the middle of the stage for knockback positions but maybe someone in the party you join has that

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I really don't like having an event in June/July. Move it to September or November, I'd rather ignore the game from Hatching-tide until Moonfire.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Joe Chip posted:

Edit: I specifically mean the pre-pull setup markers. During the fight I have no problem figuring out which marker goes with which mechanic.

pre-pull marker dance for light parties, partners, and clock spots is so standard in ex and up that you frequently see parties doing the whole thing even in fights that don't actually use all those assignments. you're basically gonna run into it in some form in every fight. sometimes the standard strats mean you just do clock spots or just light parties and any other assignments are just derived from those e.g. melee dps partner with their light party's healer or supports all rotate ccw to partner with a dps but even then na pf will usually go thru them explicitly anyway just to make sure

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 7, 2023

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The marker dance thing NA party finder does will never not be funny as hell to me

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

you could load up p7s four months into the tier and the very first thing someone would do is drop a marker and everyone would dutifully shuffle around into their clock spots

there are no clock spreads in p7s

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

no one ever explains the pre-positioning waymarks, all guide videos made by americans assume you already know them, and people who've done extreme and savage fights for years forget that "dance around a waymark at the start of the fight" is not some innate knowledge we're all born with and every extreme is someone's first foray into hard fights.

ex6 just made the issue worse because it became standard to plop down a whole set of pre-positioning waymarks with a preset, so even after having done a ton of ex and savage fights it took me a hot second to realise the lone waymark all the way to the west was the clock spot one. and also here's my spicy hot take: everything past the clockspots waymark is completely pointless, because all other positions flow naturally from it. the western dps and healer aren't suddenly gonna decide they want to be in the eastern stack, and the ranged and healers always take the outer pair spots so the melees and tanks can maintain uptime in the inner pair spots. meanwhile every ex6 pf helpfully puts in "G1 NW/G2 SE" without so much as hinting whether you want stardust spreads to be N/S or W/E, so unless you explicitly ask half the party does it one way and half the other and everyone dies, and if you're real lucky after asking someone gets all prissy and tells you you should know the strat already

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I prefer the EU system where people claim roles in chat and someone asks if anyone has a macro and the answer is no

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Clock positions via marker are better imo since every single time a party tries to do it via chat, without fail, somebody will pretend they didn't see somebody else calling their preferred spot and we get wipes that are dumber than usual and then we have to redo clock spots, only with more snide comments.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

The rework is explicitly that it is "too good". There's nothing to add or change to make the rotation better anymore, so they either just give bigger numbers and fancier animations, or they change it.

Eghh I hadn't heard that they'd said that. They might just squash it and make it into some kind of weird mashup of Paladin and Summoner where it's a simplified rotation and you alternate going into Blood and Life of the Dragon. Stardiver or Wyrmwind Thrust could use Life of the Dragon as its spike. Then, in Blood of the Dragon, maybe Dragonfire Dive as its big move if they push the mechanic into low levels like I suggested. The unused of Stardiver and Wyrmwind Thrust would be your finisher after you do both. I think it'd kind of lame if they simplify Dragoon too much though.

edit: patched post and implemented run-on sentence rework

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thundarr posted:

Clock positions via marker are better imo since every single time a party tries to do it via chat, without fail, somebody will pretend they didn't see somebody else calling their preferred spot and we get wipes that are dumber than usual and then we have to redo clock spots, only with more snide comments.

Does NA not have a super generic clock spread layout? Here in JP it's always

code:
D3 MT D4
H1    H2
D1 ST D2
Any mechanic that needs clock spots in a different layout usually gets called out in the macro.