Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

a neat cape posted:

Is WVU that bad

There was no reason for them to hang on to Neal Brown outside of money. It wouldn't be the slightest bit surprising if he's fired by week 3 anyways after they get destroyed by PSU and probably Pitt as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Apropos to Penn State destroying WVU, I'm going to try to get tickets to that game

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Komet posted:

Apropos to Penn State destroying WVU, I'm going to try to get tickets to that game
Now you've cursed it, thanks >:[

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

kayakyakr posted:

Big XII media picked their preseason rankings today:

pre:
2023 Big 12 Football Media Preseason Poll
1. Texas (41), 886
2. Kansas State (14), 858
3. Oklahoma (4), 758
4. Texas Tech (4), 729
5. TCU (3), 727
6. Baylor, 572
7. Oklahoma State (1), 470
8. UCF, 463
9. Kansas, 461
10. Iowa State, 334
11. BYU, 318
12. Houston, 215
13. Cincinnati, 202
14. West Virginia, 129
Tech with a little bit of a darkhorse aspect going on. Feels kinda odd to be a popular overperform pick.

Texas and K-State #1 and #2 in most polls. TCU falls all the way to 5 in polling: they lost most their offense, will be starting fresh. Big transfer class, though.

Seems fair but as always Texas is too high. Can't see UCF cracking that top five this year but they're on the path to being there next year, especially without the two departing teams. That said, if our QB can somehow put it together (not likely) we may challenge a few of those top guys. We've got a lot of recruiting juice for the next few years so I'm excited to see how things shake out. What's most important is that we were rated the top of the incoming teams, as we should be. Also I didn't know West Virginia's prospects were that dire.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Speaking of teams we hate, I saw an online dating profile where she answered the "last time I cried happy tears" prompt with "2015 when Ohio State won the national championship in football and Duke won in basketball".

She was cute, but hell no to that combo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Speaking of teams we hate, I saw an online dating profile where she answered the "last time I cried happy tears" prompt with "2015 when Ohio State won the national championship

:gonk:

:sever:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dango Bango posted:

Speaking of teams we hate, I saw an online dating profile where she answered the "last time I cried happy tears" prompt with "2015 when Ohio State won the national championship in football and Duke won in basketball".

drat can't believe you found an old trillballins character on a dating app.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Dango Bango posted:

grim

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Might be vaguely acceptable if she was like affiliated with or went to both schools but on the other hand that’s maybe even worse

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Edit: double post

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Might be vaguely acceptable if she was like affiliated with or went to both schools but on the other hand that’s maybe even worse

Lol this was my exact thought process deciding which way to swipe.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Dango Bango posted:

Does she also root for the Yankees, Lakers, and Patriots?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

https://twitter.com/AllVolReport/status/1676801016312758272?s=20

While he’s absolutely correct, why in the world would you even say this as a current player on a rival team?

I can’t find the full clip but he called out the person who flipped it because it’s a clip taken out of context.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Fitz suspended for 2 weeks after investigation over hazing
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/7/7/23787025/northwestern-football-coach-pat-fitzgerald-suspended-after-hazing-investigation

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The idea of returning upperclassmen from a 1-11 team feeling entitled to haze anybody is kind of hilarious.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

General Dog posted:

The idea of returning upperclassmen from a 1-11 team feeling entitled to haze anybody is kind of hilarious.

The hazing goes back a couple seasons i think.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

This begs the question, where does the line draw between puerile but harmless joshing and hazing? The report is light on details of what went on. I feel like jokes in college were either at the expense of a friend or puns. How intense did the hazing get?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The report doesn't say what happens, claims the coaches didn't know but should have, and a suspension in early July seems like a blatant cover your rear end operation with the school hoping to bury whatever happened.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Fifty Three posted:

Now you've cursed it, thanks >:[

I think WVU is really, really bad though. Besides, I've seen a lot more wins than losses in person since things kinda started turning around when Barkley was a freshman in 2015.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

kayakyakr posted:

How intense did the hazing get?
Larry Lester's butt cheeks were taped together.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

kayakyakr posted:

Big XII media picked their preseason rankings today:

pre:
2023 Big 12 Football Media Preseason Poll
1. Texas (41), 886
2. Kansas State (14), 858
3. Oklahoma (4), 758
4. Texas Tech (4), 729
5. TCU (3), 727
6. Baylor, 572
7. Oklahoma State (1), 470
8. UCF, 463
9. Kansas, 461
10. Iowa State, 334
11. BYU, 318
12. Houston, 215
13. Cincinnati, 202
14. West Virginia, 129
Tech with a little bit of a darkhorse aspect going on. Feels kinda odd to be a popular overperform pick.

Texas and K-State #1 and #2 in most polls. TCU falls all the way to 5 in polling: they lost most their offense, will be starting fresh. Big transfer class, though.

God what a tumble for Cinci since Fickell left

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mike_V posted:

God what a tumble for Cinci since Fickell left

I mean, it’s a presumed tumble at this point since they haven’t taken the field without him yet.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Larry Lester's butt cheeks were taped together.

Fitzgerald in the locker room: “Wildcats, you’ve got to be #1! I won’t tolerate any losers on this team, your intensity is for poo poo! WIN! WIN! WIN!”

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

General Dog posted:

I mean, it’s a presumed tumble at this point since they haven’t taken the field without him yet.

God it already feels like a season has gone by. Need college ball to start back up so I can yell at Mizzou for losing in incredibly stupid ways again

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Is it just me, or are the media days happening earlier and earlier every year? Like, I seem to recall all the conference media days happening end of July and first week of August, right before fall camp started.

The Big XII Media days are next week. What gives?

Also, the Big XII Media days are going to be livestreamed on ESPN+ for the first time. Which is interesting. At least the main stage, not necessarily any breakouts.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

I'm not a guy who knows WVU but from what I do know the outlook seems rough.

There are administrational things going on here beside the football (or basketball) program that are no bueno.

Don't hire Gordon Gee and his bow tie seems to be my takeaway. There's a lot of stuff that is not good going on over there and Bob Huggins isn't the problem in the larger point of view. I mean he had to go away, but that isn't the problem for the AD, there's more stuff going on.

Gordon Gee is the scummiest piece of poo poo I’ve ever had the displeasure of being in a room with

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

R.D. Mangles posted:

The report doesn't say what happens, claims the coaches didn't know but should have, and a suspension in early July seems like a blatant cover your rear end operation with the school hoping to bury whatever happened.

Yuuuuuuuuuuup

https://twitter.com/thedailynu/status/1677735104599187457?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

https://twitter.com/thedailynu/status/1677735106964856832?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

edit: this isn’t the worst thing described in the article, it’s gross and awful and honestly someone should be fired

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Not that it actually matters but it’s also so depressing to think about these hazing rituals and you’re winning 1 game all year.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
https://dailynorthwestern.com/2023/07/08/top-stories/former-nu-football-player-details-hazing-allegations-after-coach-suspension/
Pat Fitzgerald being a piece of poo poo

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Who loving comes up with this poo poo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
lol 2 week suspension in july.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Imagine loving up your sweetheart head coaching gig with no expectations because you couldn’t do the bare minimum.

Like that Alabama baseball coach.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

soggybagel posted:

Not that it actually matters but it’s also so depressing to think about these hazing rituals and you’re winning 1 game all year.

Seriously, and suspending him in July? This is, like, the ultimate message that the administration does not give a single gently caress. I'm not saying it's defensible if it's a winning program, I'm saying there is zero reason to do this unless you're covering up something even worse.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 8, 2023

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I'm more puzzled as to where Shrek fits into all of this

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

"Hard-nosed disciplinarian demands others engage in a bunch of weird homoerotic poo poo" seems like an overcooked trope but here we are anyway.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

fire his rear end

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

e: wrong thread

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 9, 2023

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Hmm. What’s the worst way you could frame this and who would be one of the worst messengers for this?

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1677850636665212931?s=46&t=PZdu3FmlNyzr9wfuU9UK1Q

Yes, it’s people wanting to “cancel” him.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
RIP Darren Rovell.

I always confused you with Darrell Royal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

soggybagel posted:

Hmm. What’s the worst way you could frame this and who would be one of the worst messengers for this?

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1677850636665212931?s=46&t=PZdu3FmlNyzr9wfuU9UK1Q

Yes, it’s people wanting to “cancel” him.

Is this more or less offensive than Rovell trying to scalp civil rights memorabilia? He's so slimy I don't know if he could be defeated by public pressure.