Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Spedman posted:

Bowl at the stumps, I’m begging you

Nah just put it somewhere near 'em and they do the rest for ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Spedman posted:

no

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

lol he fuckin' smashed that.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

BlindSite posted:

Kind of hard to believe but Nathan Lyon has been Australia's front line spinner for like 12 loving years. So the generation coming through grew up watching him too.

100 consecutive tests is a phenomenal achievement honestly

from memory a lot of us were unconvinced by him early on

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The fact that Lyon has looked 40 years old for the last 12 years got people thinking he was more experienced than he was.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I think it's because once Shane Warne retired there was a significant 5 year lag in Australia's spinning stocks and CA realised there were gently caress all full time spinners coming through the ranks and invested in it pretty heavily. The growth of T20 has only helped really because every team's realised you need at least one front line spinner to get you through some overs. Kind of hard to believe but Nathan Lyon has been Australia's front line spinner for like 12 loving years. So the generation coming through grew up watching him too.

Interesting and seemingly very sensible. I guess I'm wondering why England didn't follow something similar. I know people say the pitches offer them nothing but the signing of internationals to fill in reveal at least some demand unless that's an anomaly

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Mitch Marsh 118-1
Extras 38
Everyone else 249-16

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
If England had held on to the Marsh drop and the Head drop and everyone else scored the same they would currently have a lead of 15.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

England have produced one international level good spinner ever, in Swann. It's just not a thing they develop.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Spedman posted:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Okay, bazball is under pressure, but hitting the first ball of your innings and the session for six is a vibe

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Was just about to quote post that ^

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Ratios and Tendency posted:

England have produced one international level good spinner ever, in Swann. It's just not a thing they develop.

Much like Crawley and Duckett, I actually think England have done okay in the circumstances with Leach and hopefully Ahmed. It's structurally hard to develop spinners in England, so they've given Leach a massive rope and not asked too much of him. Similar to how Australia developed Lyon in fact.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Not ever just since the end of uncovered wickets. Until about 1980 England always had at least a couple of top class spin bowlers to pick from.

Once covered wickets became universal English pitches just no longer break up anywhere near as much as they do in Australia or the West Indies, let alone Asia. The climate just doesn't make that possible. Boycott was always banging on that we should bring uncovered pitches back...

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
bowl at the stumps you cunts

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Two more sixes and he's top scoring for the innings.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

tarbrush posted:

Two more sixes and he's top scoring for the innings.

And I have spoonyboyed him

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
weird things are happening in Bangladesh

https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/status/1677289289611350017?s=20

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Kinda thought Marsh was gunna drop that

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

They have my permission to bowl at Broad's head though

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

cool, we're back to bowling short at stokes, this will work well

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

gay picnic defence posted:

They have my permission to bowl at Broad's head though

The karate kid will simply crane kick the ball away

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Such a hosed up series.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
bumper spam disease relapses just to gently caress up my pre-innings England score <200 prediction

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Broad is such a oval office I love it. Just looks so smug like he belongs there with Stokes lol

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Why not set a field for length bowling, and I dont know, bowl good length bowling on a wicket that is doing a fair bit for bowlers.

This obsession with short poo poo to buy a wicket is really dumb.

edit: bowling to first slip probable isn't in the plan either.

VOTE1 fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 7, 2023

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

VOTE1 posted:

This obsession with short poo poo to buy a wicket is really dumb.

I wonder if they feel like they need to bowl a certain number of bouncers at the tail to make up for everything their own side copped while batting

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Mister Chief posted:

Broad is such a oval office I love it. Just looks so smug like he belongs there with Stokes lol

*ties headband* you mean the oval office with a test hundred? don’t look up anything about that game tho

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
This is the dumbest series and I am too angry to really enjoy it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they've been drugging the food.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

loving hell murphy is gunna get tonked here

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Mister Chief posted:

I have always thought he was a petulant overgrown child but holy poo poo he's grown on me this series. Bazball is such a cunty way of playing and it suits him so loving well.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just tonk it with no idea of where it's going. Not like there's a shitload of fielders in the deep.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

webmeister posted:

loving hell murphy is gunna get tonked here

Or broad is going to get stumped by six feet

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
cricket things I like featuring in this series:
*funny cunts being cunts
*nerd aesthetic spinners
*good fast bowling (admittedly sporadic appearances)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

okay that was a tough catch for starc
murphy should've caught that

also is it just me or has the camerawork been loving atrocious this series

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

webmeister posted:

okay that was a tough catch for starc
murphy should've caught that

also is it just me or has the camerawork been loving atrocious this series

Yeah they have missed tracking a couple of shots just in this session.

To be fair they aren't in any worse form than anyone playing.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is it only me or has the camera work been terrible this series? So many skied balls and you have no idea what is happening.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're obsessed with spidercam and tight focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Shogi posted:

cricket things I like featuring in this series:
*funny cunts being cunts
*nerd aesthetic spinners
*good fast bowling (admittedly sporadic appearances)

A real shame Leach is injured or we would've got a glasses on glasses match up. NerdsRule