Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mr. Pringle would never use targeted advertising. He's very ethical. He knows that once you pop into that, you can't stop.

*This post was sponsored by Pringles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Jakabite posted:

Just because B-M exists that doesn’t mean it’s the explanation for everything it could potentially explain. I don’t know, I’m not saying they definitely are, but I don’t think I’ve actually been seeing ads for coffins everywhere without realising and it was only the other day when me and my friend talked about coffin designs that I started to notice them. Idk maybe the coffin lobby has been advertising at me for ages though and this extremely incongruous ad on my feed of camera equipment and weird shoes just flew under my radar. Feels unlikely though.

Likewise if you think surveillance capitalist companies are trumpeting every method of data gathering they employ and don’t keep any of it a closely guarded secret, I have a bridge to sell you.

Surveillance capitalist companies failing at capitalism because they do not explain to their actual customers (the people who buy the ads) the abilities they have to make those ads effective.

Do you think it's more likely that there is the massive extra-secret data collection happening that even people working in the literal industry that should be utilizing that data collection don't know about? Or is it more likely you briefly visited a website to look at an image of the coffin design while talking with your friend and the trackers on that site then pinged the ad network and put you in the "looked at coffins" demo. (Something that we know is happening and that data firms proudly tell their customers they have the ability to do.)

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

Surveillance capitalist companies failing at capitalism because they do not explain to their actual customers (the people who buy the ads) the abilities they have to make those ads effective.

Do you think it's more likely that there is the massive extra-secret data collection happening that even people working in the literal industry that should be utilizing that data collection don't know about? Or is it more likely you briefly visited a website to look at an image of the coffin design while talking with your friend and the trackers on that site then pinged the ad network and put you in the "looked at coffins" demo. (Something that we know is happening and that data firms proudly tell their customers they have the ability to do.)

It doesn't even have to be them doing the browsing. Any of the friends could have had that impact, as long as the search was somewhat time-correlated to the conversation.

The main value Facebook brings to the ad space table is knowing very accurately who is hanging out with who at a given time, which allows them to generate more accurate consumer profiles by feeding data from their social circles. It's probably particularly blatant for privacy-focused people because a larger chunk of the profile comes from indirect data in their case.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 7, 2023

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

LanceHunter posted:

I don’t really believe they’re utilizing audio eavesdropping, mainly because Apple is very strict about permissioning for apps and it would be transparent to know if these companies were doing it as all of their permissions are listed and are revocable, but it’s also not like just because adtech conventions and sales exist that companies would give up their proprietary data collection methods. They could simply tout metrics and give vague promises of capability without giving away their secret sauce.

Plenty of companies sell their sausage so to speak without disclosing how it’s made

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Plenty of companies sell their sausage so to speak without disclosing how it’s made

All that matters to ad buyers is the metrics. They don't really care how targeting works, as long as they get clicks, impressions, or whatever.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

To go repeat to what I said earlier - we live in the even creepier reality where the advertisers don't have to bother listening to us to know what we're talking about.

Outside of clear malware I'm not aware of any security researcher that detected potential audio data being collected, processed or sent from mobile devices prior to voice assistants. I specify the voice assistants because they almost immediately discovered those QA clips getting sent by those apps, which goes to show how hard it is to hide this kind of monitoring.

Meta using text from Facebook and Instagram DMs to profile ads, yeah I can buy that. Using your Facebook app to monitor your microphone to listen silently in a way that no security researcher is yet to detect over the past decade+? Doubtful.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Steadiman posted:

Of course, but peope like social media and posting with their friends/brands online. They're gonna do that regardless

Yes, for now.

But I do like to think that there will be such a thing as “peak social media”, that we are in or near it, and that eventually its ubiquity will fade when we get some more collective common sense. I like to think it will follow the cigarette trajectory: it will remain an extremely lucrative business and there will still be a huge amount of users, many of whom addicts, but the proportion of users will be way lower than its high watermark.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

never wear sandals or go barefoot in public. ive taken thousands of pictures of peoples toes and feet for my collection and download millions more from the internet. sometimes if someone is wearing sandals on the train i airdrop them a picture ofg their feet with a note telling them they're leaving money on the table
Thank you for your service. :patriot:

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Further Reading posted:

To go repeat to what I said earlier - we live in the even creepier reality where the advertisers don't have to bother listening to us to know what we're talking about.

It's this.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
I think the general concerns around privacy are the data collected, the data inferred, and who is using that data. The capabilities companies have with your data right now is staggering and the accuracy of their personality profiles on you is only increasing with time as you provide more of your information. Right now the actors using that data are relatively benign, but who's to say that will always be the case? Is it an overreaction to say that this could be used to prosecute "thought crime" some undefined years in the future by a potential fascist government?

The people who don't care will say "what do you have to hide", the privacy minded people will say "well, how adherent to a potential regimes philosophy will you need to be to maintain any semblance of freedom?"

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Further Reading posted:

Outside of clear malware I'm not aware of any security researcher that detected potential audio data being collected, processed or sent from mobile devices prior to voice assistants. I specify the voice assistants because they almost immediately discovered those QA clips getting sent by those apps, which goes to show how hard it is to hide this kind of monitoring.

Meta using text from Facebook and Instagram DMs to profile ads, yeah I can buy that. Using your Facebook app to monitor your microphone to listen silently in a way that no security researcher is yet to detect over the past decade+? Doubtful.
It would also be super obvious to tell if an app was sending audio data constantly. It would suck up a considerable amount of battery to parse what you said on device, and it would be a pretty big bump in data consumption if it was just streaming audio to a server.

As far as voice assistants go, somewhere on the user data section of Google you can actually download and listen to recordings they store. I remember doing that when I got a Nexus player (early Android TV box). It had a mic in the remote for voice commands. The audio quality was poo poo, and the recordings were pretty short.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
I feel kinda outta the loop here because the only place I ever see ads are on Hulu. I don't have any social media accounts or apps on my phone, and I got YouTube Premium because the ad breaks there are so out of control now.

It would be nice to have personalized ones on Hulu for a change, lately it's the same ads for dick pills, AIDS medicine or a random car commercial lol

Oh and Elon still sux

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

delightful posted:

The people who don't care will say "what do you have to hide", the privacy minded people will say "well, how adherent to a potential regimes philosophy will you need to be to maintain any semblance of freedom?"

The “what do you have to hide?” people are generally morons. You can value privacy even if your digital footprint isn’t mycrimes.txt

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Durzel posted:

People who have this weird obsession about the sanctity of their privacy, when they're just a regular Joe Schmoe, strike me as a bit weird.

These big companies "tracking you" don't give a poo poo about you personally, beyond the possibility that you might spend money with them or their partners.
"These big companies"? Possibly not. Their individual employees?

Tesla workers shared your videos, so did Ring staffers (repeatedly). AT&T staff stole and sold your personal data (after they finished using it themselves), while Southwest Airlines employees are happy to publish your active flight info if you lodge a service complaint. Amazon employees listen to your Alexa but promise it's rare they've ever eavesdropped on, say, your sexual assault. Anything stored on your devices is fair game, according to employees from Sprint, Cricket, Verizon, Radio Shack, and T-Mobile (along with many Canadian laptop repair shops). Or they'll be like ADT and break your devices themselves

That cops nationwide use confidential databases to stalk partners, expartners, journalists, celebrities, protestors, neighbors, and anyone else they want is wellknown, but it's habit at Meta too (again and again and again). On point for the thread, Twitter Files certainly seemed to prove that from the top down, Twitter's happy to give full access to your DMs to friendly journalists.

And those are just examples when the big companies tracking you are maliciously using the data themselves. There's also Toys leaking voice messages from millions of parents and kids, and the flood of Ring, Alexa, COVID-Tracking, school electronic surveillance, and facial recognition database "misconfigurations" where the big companies throw open the doors and let anyone with a desire track you.

Which is genuinely thoughtful of them, since usually you need to pay data brokers for the data to out your priest for Grindr usage.

No idea what the weird obsessives are worried about. I'm sure it's just a few bad apples and the publicly reported cases are the only instances of cops, feds, and corporate staff profiting from or getting off to your personal data.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You can test the voice collection idea. Just hold your phone up and start talking about wanting to buy some obscure product over and over again. Test it out, post your results.

My phone is always listening, the second some music plays it tells me who the artist is.

Similarly, I have fast enough Internet. I don't need faster/more internet. If I can watch shows and play games it doesn't need to be faster. My only imagined use now for increasingly faster internet is to strip mine more data from me.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's for throughput - so more devices can up/download your real time tracking at 4k

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Getting ads from typing stuff is child's play.
I was once hanging out with my sister in law and mentioned I like to keep Classico pasta jars because they're basically free mason jars, and then within 10 minutes I opened Facebook and the second post was an ad for Classico pasta sauce. Never had an ad for pasta sauce before, let alone that exact brand.

It also happened when my husband picked me up from work and I mentioned I saw a customer wearing some really cool rainbow and sheer mesh knee high striped socks. Opened the app, top of the page were those exact socks.

They can claim all they want that phones don't listen, but I've never believed it. I have far more ad coincidences from poo poo I say IRL than anything I search or type online. These were both like 5 years ago. It's so normal now I'm no longer surprised if it happens.

I had a buddy I hadn't seen since college visits, and we went out hiking. While we're out, he told a story about all the hoops he had to do to get the hospital he works at hooked up with a big pharmaceutical manufacturer for COVID trials. That day I get ads for that exact same pharmaceutical company.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Paracaidas posted:

"These big companies"? Possibly not. Their individual employees?

Tesla workers shared your videos, so did Ring staffers (repeatedly). AT&T staff stole and sold your personal data (after they finished using it themselves), while Southwest Airlines employees are happy to publish your active flight info if you lodge a service complaint. Amazon employees listen to your Alexa but promise it's rare they've ever eavesdropped on, say, your sexual assault. Anything stored on your devices is fair game, according to employees from Sprint, Cricket, Verizon, Radio Shack, and T-Mobile (along with many Canadian laptop repair shops). Or they'll be like ADT and break your devices themselves

That cops nationwide use confidential databases to stalk partners, expartners, journalists, celebrities, protestors, neighbors, and anyone else they want is wellknown, but it's habit at Meta too (again and again and again). On point for the thread, Twitter Files certainly seemed to prove that from the top down, Twitter's happy to give full access to your DMs to friendly journalists.

And those are just examples when the big companies tracking you are maliciously using the data themselves. There's also Toys leaking voice messages from millions of parents and kids, and the flood of Ring, Alexa, COVID-Tracking, school electronic surveillance, and facial recognition database "misconfigurations" where the big companies throw open the doors and let anyone with a desire track you.

Which is genuinely thoughtful of them, since usually you need to pay data brokers for the data to out your priest for Grindr usage.

No idea what the weird obsessives are worried about. I'm sure it's just a few bad apples and the publicly reported cases are the only instances of cops, feds, and corporate staff profiting from or getting off to your personal data.

I know Meta listens to what you say in the VR Quest's microphone. There was that news story about a girl and her mom being arrested after the girl talked about her mom get getting abortion meds for her to some people in Horizon Worlds.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

PharmerBoy posted:

I had a buddy I hadn't seen since college visits, and we went out hiking. While we're out, he told a story about all the hoops he had to do to get the hospital he works at hooked up with a big pharmaceutical manufacturer for COVID trials. That day I get ads for that exact same pharmaceutical company.

You were in physical proximity for an extended period with someone who had done a ton of googling about a specific company. That company pays to access that data and then uses it to target ads.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

PharmerBoy posted:

Yes, you were in the same physical location as someone probably constantly visiting websites and searching terms related to this. See all the posts on “they don’t need to listen to know what you talk about.”

Beaten.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think that my data is worth more than an email account.

That's something that gets me really pissed off about having to pay for ad free YouTube or YouTube music.

I'm ok with targeted ads, they're at least relevant. I'd rather see that poo poo than constant crypto or right wing bullshit.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Halisnacks posted:

Yes, for now.

But I do like to think that there will be such a thing as “peak social media”, that we are in or near it, and that eventually its ubiquity will fade when we get some more collective common sense. I like to think it will follow the cigarette trajectory: it will remain an extremely lucrative business and there will still be a huge amount of users, many of whom addicts, but the proportion of users will be way lower than its high watermark.

You're talking about harm reduction as an ideology. We can't allow that here. It could lead to full gay space communism*. Unthinkable!

* Otherwise known as Christianity-on-paper

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

ymgve posted:

Golden State killer was caught because they put his crime scene DNA through a genealogy matching service and got the identities of close relatives

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-dna-golden-state-killer-20180426-story.html
This is true, but if I remember right they used a service that people voluntarily submit their DNA report to that is more open than the main services, which exists presumably so you can get more matches from outside the network of the company you used. Like the cops aren’t submitting suspect DNA to 23 and Me and seeing what pops up.

They used this service, found a cousin or something, then had to work back, finally collecting a sample from him and testing it officially. Also if I remember right (again) the company was a little hesitant and I don’t think this has become routine.

It’s still a potentially paranoia-inducing thing but not like his name popped up on the screen suddenly like in the movies.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Here's a question that somebody here might know the answer to. Is there anonymized location data for say, google or apple users, that would allow you to see where people of a city go in general? I was thinking about city planning the other day and I was kind of wondering if it's be possible to roughly track where people who live in certain areas go the most and when. It'd be a great way to set up public transit.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Tarkus posted:

Here's a question that somebody here might know the answer to. Is there anonymized location data for say, google or apple users, that would allow you to see where people of a city go in general? I was thinking about city planning the other day and I was kind of wondering if it's be possible to roughly track where people who live in certain areas go the most and when. It'd be a great way to set up public transit.

I don't see why not, this is essentially what google does already for showing how crowded a business typically is by hour or when to reroute your gps because of jams and accidents.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Grey Cat posted:

I don't see why not, this is essentially what google does already for showing how crowded a business typically is by hour or when to reroute your gps because of jams and accidents.
Those are locations though, not paths.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
They stopped updating these in 2022 but Google published a lot of location data trends showing the changes associated with Covid/lockdowns: https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Tarkus posted:

Yeah this exists, I was briefly involved in a project once that wanted to use this data to model how traffic flow changes in response to severe weather.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Those are locations though, not paths.

"Where they go in general"
Yeah I know.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Most people don’t believe they’re as predictable and quantifiable as they actually are

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I actually hope ads get so specialized for each individual to the point where they're such unique and pleasurable experiences that we look forward to them instead of trying to avoid them.

I want ads for that consist of footage of birds doing nothing in particular. No music. No voice. Just birds and a small text telling me there's a new kind of Fanta.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I actually hope ads get so specialized for each individual to the point where they're such unique and pleasurable experiences that we look forward to them instead of trying to avoid them.

I want ads for that consist of footage of birds doing nothing in particular. No music. No voice. Just birds and a small text telling me there's a new kind of Fanta.

I could see this happening once AI video generation isn't terrifyingly eldritch and cheaper to render.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Neat, I wonder if my city uses these data sets to set up the bus routes. I doubt it because they exude incompetence but it'd be neat to know if they did.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I was playing Ocarina of Time (I'm pretty sure my n64 is not connected to the net) and, immediately, I get like a billion hearing aid ads on my phone. Coincidence?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Bus routes are probably done by hand because they're political as gently caress.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Grey Cat posted:

"Where they go in general"
Yeah I know.
Oh guess I read that wrong.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
All of a sudden my giant non-technical organization is requesting tons of details about every API in use within the organization, of which there are many and almost all non-accessible outside of the org's network for internal applications.

Request just came in for tons of API details that would really only be important for an public exposed highly used API, what rate limits are in place, requests per minute, errors per minute, etc.

I am pretty sure some non-technical higher up has seen all this twitter poo poo happened, had a thought "I bet we have APIs, I wonder how much $$$ they are costing US?"

That's the story about how Elon's endless loving up and excuses caused a bunch of extra useless work for my team today

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

goatface posted:

Bus routes are probably done by hand because they're political as gently caress.

Alright 3 routes go through this neighborhood and --
What about that one over there?
Those people can walk 6 miles to the closest stop.
Very good, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

never wear sandals or go barefoot in public. ive taken thousands of pictures of peoples toes and feet for my collection and download millions more from the internet. sometimes if someone is wearing sandals on the train i airdrop them a picture ofg their feet with a note telling them they're leaving money on the table

Same