Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I've been chilling with a R5 3600 + 1070 combo on 1080p for a while now. The 5600x3D is really tempting. I live like 10 minutes way from a Microcenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CodFishBalls posted:

To chirp in, Micro Center is likely going to do a 5600x3d bundle, bundling it with a B550 board (my suspicion is the Tuf B-550 since they got quite a bit in stock at my local store ) and 16 gb of 3200 cl16 g.skill ram (probably ripjaw again, what they have a lot of)

Speculation is bundle price will be around 329ish, which, compared to 229 for 5600x3d, 170 for B550, and 40 for ram, is not bad, but locking yourself into the AM4 ecosystem.

drat, hell of a bundle if that's it, maybe enough to make me road trip.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If there were a Microcenter in my state I would probably be considering a 5600X3D as an upgrade for my secondary desktop, but as it is it will probably stay on a 3600X.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

poe meater posted:

I've been chilling with a R5 3600 + 1070 combo on 1080p for a while now. The 5600x3D is really tempting. I live like 10 minutes way from a Microcenter.

Do it. It's a pretty cheap upgrade that will boost performance by a lot and extend the useful lifetime of the system by quite a bit.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I got the 3600 with the idea that I would upgrade to whatever endgame CPU they released, but the 3600 is just so drat good that it's hard to justify a 5800X3D vs saving up for a new computer in the future. I'm already getting 120-140 fps in all my games. And as I type this I see the 5800X3D is on sale for $350cad/260usd...

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Nice Van My Man posted:

I got the 3600 with the idea that I would upgrade to whatever endgame CPU they released, but the 3600 is just so drat good that it's hard to justify a 5800X3D vs saving up for a new computer in the future. I'm already getting 120-140 fps in all my games. And as I type this I see the 5800X3D is on sale for $350cad/260usd...

It was worth it for me to upgrade from a 3700x to 5800x3D. Yes, the 3700x with a 3080 was mostly maxing out my 1440p 144mhz monitor, but I would see frame drops down to 90-100fps. The 5800x3D in the same games occasionally takes a hit to the 130s but all hitching and stuttering is gone. Everything is a noticeably smoother experience and of course all the benefits of the cpu in 4x games is true. Stellaris is a pleasant experience in late game now. Even if you are already hitting high frame rates the cpu just does everything else better than the 3700x (or 3600).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I also upgraded from a 3700x to a 5800x3D and do not regret it. It does what it says on the tin, and does it well. Some games that used to stutter a bit on my 38" UW (3840x1600, 3080 10GB) no longer do so, and the system feels snappier in general.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wibla posted:

38" UW (3840x1600, 3080 10GB)

Alienware?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

No, Viewsonic VP3881, 60hz and no VRR, so the 3080 isn't getting a very hard workout, but the stutters are nevertheless gone.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wibla posted:

No, Viewsonic VP3881, 60hz and no VRR, so the 3080 isn't getting a very hard workout, but the stutters are nevertheless gone.

Raw doggin' the UW ;).

I have a 3090 running at the same resolution. Most modern titles w/ RT are getting to be a struggle ;(.

Been thinking of upgrading for a 5800X to X3D. I think the recent price drops might get me to upgrade.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

First Zen 5 patches hit Linux

https://www.phoronix.com/news/AMD-Family-26-Linux-Start

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

poe meater posted:

I think you'd be better off putting the cash towards a GPU upgrade, you're unlikely to squeeze much more out of a 1070 with a better CPU.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nice Van My Man posted:

My 3600X is still a nice CPU, but it's in my secondary desktop because I upgraded my primary desktop from it to a 5800X3D and have zero regrets. The secondary machine is pretty much all the parts I upgraded from on my primary desktop, plus a new B550 motherboard and a PSU I had on hand.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

I think you'd be better off putting the cash towards a GPU upgrade, you're unlikely to squeeze much more out of a 1070 with a better CPU.

$230 for a 5600x3D that performs the same as a 5800x3D in a bunch of games is a silly good upgrade to his current setup, he can always upgrade the GPU later, but those CPUs are not going to stick around for long.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My 3600X is still a nice CPU, but it's in my secondary desktop because I upgraded my primary desktop from it to a 5800X3D and have zero regrets. The secondary machine is pretty much all the parts I upgraded from on my primary desktop, plus a new B550 motherboard and a PSU I had on hand.

My 3700X lives on in a cheap as dirt B550 board :sun:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

For anyone with an 7800X3D, have you been keeping track of the max clock in HWinfo64?

The frequency boost seems to top out at 4.925MHz during loads, which seems pretty good considering I haven't messed with PBO2?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
A 5800x3d should easily last you another 2-3 years in games. If you built a Zen 2 PC in 2019 or whatever you could potentially just do a drop-in on your existing board with the 5800x3d and you should still be able to hang with the best until, like 2025-2026. Sure, GPU is a separate issue but given how powerful GPUs are now, we're back to CPUs being relevant again. That's a pretty wild run.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

For anyone with an 7800X3D, have you been keeping track of the max clock in HWinfo64?

The frequency boost seems to top out at 4.925MHz during loads, which seems pretty good considering I haven't messed with PBO2?

I put a -20 CO on mine and I still see it hit 5,000MHz on two or three cores with the rest in the 4,000 range when I play something like Stellaris/HoI4 or Ryujinx.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Would it be a mistake to buy that Microcenter exclusive 5600X3D for $230 for a brand new pc build for gaming (targeting 1440p/1xxHz)? I know future proofing is a waste of money but that 5600X3D apparently uses a dead socket vs the newer AM5 socket.

Alternatively I was looking at the 7800X3D for $420 also at Microcenter.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 10, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Boris Galerkin posted:

Would it be a mistake to buy that Microcenter exclusive 5600X3D for $230 for a brand new pc build? I know future proofing is a waste of money but that 5600X3D apparently uses a dead socket vs the newer AM5 socket.

How frequently do you upgrade / rebuild your PC?

If you are like build it & use it until it's obsolete, with no other upgrades besides maybe a GPU swap or added storage, the fact that AM4 is a dead socket isn't that big a deal. Besides the CPU being $200 cheaper, you'll save on the mobo and ram as well so the cost difference will be pretty substantial.

AM5 will have more upgradability, but it's dicey on exactly how far into the future that will stretch.

If you're a more frequent tinkerer and think you'd like to have a new CPU in 2 years, an AM5 platform is a better option. It will definitely get at least one more CPU release, and probably more but it's hard to say. A lot will likely depend on the state of AMD vs Intel competition in the future.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’d prolly use it for several years until I had a reason to upgrade the CPU. It’s just, I don’t know how many years that will be. From everything I’ve read about AM5 it seems like I’m guaranteed at least 1 but prolly more generational upgrades but if I went with the 5600X3D I’d have to essentially build out a new system.

Tentatively looking at a 7900 XT. D4 is the only game on my radar at the moment but that’s most likely because I don’t have a PC (just an Intel MacBook) so I haven’t paid any attention to games. And like I said, I’m targeting 1440p/1xxHz because I don’t think I give a drat about better lighting and shadows with ray tracing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Would it be a mistake to buy that Microcenter exclusive 5600X3D for $230 for a brand new pc build for gaming (targeting 1440p/1xxHz)? I know future proofing is a waste of money but that 5600X3D apparently uses a dead socket vs the newer AM5 socket.

Compare total platform costs… micro center has a configurator that is useful and will indicate the stock of your local store. You’re looking at $700 for that cpu+ram/mobo whereas for the 5600x3d you can get this for $330: https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle

You could pick up a 6750XT with the difference…

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’d prolly use it for several years until I had a reason to upgrade the CPU. It’s just, I don’t know how many years that will be. From everything I’ve read about AM5 it seems like I’m guaranteed at least 1 but prolly more generational upgrades but if I went with the 5600X3D I’d have to essentially build out a new system.

In that case I'd say your choice is between:

1. $300+ in your pocket now, you definitely have to spend extra money in 3-4 years on a full upgrade

2. a better CPU now, plus a coinflip gamble that goes like this:
win = AMD supports the 600 series mobo you get now with a ryzen 9000 upgrade in 2026, you make your money back
lose = AM5 only gets the minimum promised "through 2025" support and a 1 generation upgrade (unlikely to be worth it), you are even more in the hole

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Other things to consider if you're already at Microcenter, the 5800X3D is only fifty bucks more and hits the 8-core sweetspot of the consoles. If you want similar gaming performance, better MT, and more upgradeability at the cost of power consumption you can get a 13600K combo for a similar price too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

But like the 5600X3D/5800X3D won’t hamper my ~gaming~ performance right? Cause yeah I’d rather just pocket the $300+ now, now that I think about it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Boris Galerkin posted:

But like the 5600X3D/5800X3D won’t hamper my ~gaming~ performance right? Cause yeah I’d rather just pocket the $300+ now, now that I think about it.

pretty much no, in 95% of games what you care about is the GPU more than the CPU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

if Starfield is as bad as Todd seems to be implying with the 30fps cap on consoles it'll probably showcase X3D pretty good. Unfortunately they're only giving out codes for 7000 series CPUs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

if Starfield is as bad as Todd seems to be implying with the 30fps cap on consoles it'll probably showcase X3D pretty good. Unfortunately they're only giving out codes for 7000 series CPUs.

i wonder if those are ms store codes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Handing out the non mod-able version of a Bethesda game would be some classic Todd.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

3 month game pass voucher would be incredibly funny

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I'd be really surprised, all the physical copies come with Steam codes and it seems like the only reason people will play the Xbox version is getting it from Game Pass.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Got a stable -40 and -45 CO on my 7800X3D split evenly across the cores :toot:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Boris Galerkin posted:

if your motherboard supports pci 4.0, it's probably fine, but pci 3.0 might be pushing it a little bit. i'm on 3.0, and i have to do crap like make sure my nvme drives don't take up pcie lanes from other devices and crap like that. and some nvme drives will obviously run somewhat faster - although i'm not sure how much faster we really need those things to be

bios support on older asus boards also seems to be near eol

in other words, if you have a good motherboard, it's not a bad idea. but a 7800X3D is cheaper to cooler, faster etc. otoh, you might be able to wait for the next revision of AM5 motherboards which always seems like a good idea with all the teething issues new products always have

kliras fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 10, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

hobbesmaster posted:

Handing out the non mod-able version of a Bethesda game would be some classic Todd.

MS Store games can be moddable now, if the game supports it. Has anyone at Bethesda said that Starfield from MS Store won't be moddable?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kibner posted:

MS Store games can be moddable now, if the game supports it. Has anyone at Bethesda said that Starfield from MS Store won't be moddable?

Script extenders don’t work. If I understand correctly supporting an extra version of the game would potentially be a lot of extra work for the SE teams, even if modifying the exe were allowed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kliras posted:

but a 7800X3D is cheaper to cool

A 5800X3D does not need high-end cooling, it generates less than 100 watts. A 5600X3D even less so.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Klyith posted:

A 5800X3D does not need high-end cooling, it generates less than 100 watts. A 5600X3D even less so.

It doesn't use that much power, no, but that 3D cache layer is effectively an extra insulator and actually getting it to run cool is not easy. If you put a cheap cooler on one it will probably thermal throttle constantly despite the low power draw.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

power crystals posted:

It doesn't use that much power, no, but that 3D cache layer is effectively an extra insulator and actually getting it to run cool is not easy. If you put a cheap cooler on one it will probably thermal throttle constantly despite the low power draw.

They will not throttle with a cheap (ie basic $30-50 120mm heatpipe tower) cooler.

The 3D cache does insulate heat and make them hotter than a non-X3D chip at the same wattage, but <5 degrees more is nothing for a CPU that doesn't throttle until over 90C.

Unless by "throttle" you mean get 50mhz less on the boost clock, which is not what most people mean by throttle.

edit: and the 7800X3D has the exact same insulation issue so if you think the 5800X3D needs a better cooler you should think the same for the 7800X3D.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 10, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Thanks everyone. I’ll just have to find time to build out 2 systems and compare the final price difference.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Klyith posted:

Ehhh, it’s frequency is low for zen3 in the first place and it’ll start clocking down pretty fast so you do want to make sure it’s got a higher end cooling solution.

Those numbers all also seem low but I have :rice: RAM and the extra IOD watts to match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hobbesmaster posted:

Ehhh, it’s frequency is low for zen3 in the first place and it’ll start clocking down pretty fast so you do want to make sure it’s got a higher end cooling solution.

Clocking down to what? At what temperatures, with how much load? Give some numbers or examples.

All of these CPUs drop a few hundred MHz when you have max threads, no matter what cooler you have on them.

hobbesmaster posted:

Those numbers all also seem low but I have :rice: RAM and the extra IOD watts to match.

TPU is definitely using :rice: RAM, they were on DDR5-6000 with IF clock at 2000. They're measured with a clamp on the 12V line, so not directly comparable with CPU self-reporting stats.

(Also those are all games, if you are thinking about your power draw in prime95 or whatever it's way different. I linked the games one because, in real life, most people don't run prime95 as their main activity.)