Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

John Tavares
Marian Hossa
Mattias Ohlund
John Gibson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Jeremy Roenick must be one of them, too.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
is ryan kesler up there?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Fisher and Girardi are both correct at 4th and 5th respectively. They played 146 and 143 games and did nothing.

No one will guess the last guy so I'll spoil it it's Matt Carle! Remember him? I pretty much don't but he went to the finals twice!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

is ryan kesler up there?

The Canucks weren't actually any good for all that long. He and the Sedins each only had 100 playoff games to their names.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

John Tavares
Marian Hossa
Mattias Ohlund
John Gibson

Tavares has 55 playoff games to his names. The Isles conference finals runs came after he left, thus the "we don't need you!" chants.

Ohlund has 70 playoff games mostly because he left the Canucks in 2009 for Tampa before they got good.

John Gibson has a stunning 24 playoff games thanks to the Ducks being God awful so much so that he wants out now.

Hossa won three cups so doesn't begin to qualify.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
How the hell did Carle play so many playoff games? His teams always seemed to go to the 2nd round, at minimum.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
matt carle somehow only missed the playoffs once in his career. he went out in the first round just twice, had five second-round exits, one conference final exit, and two trips to the finals.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's not strictly trivia related but for those of you looking for a hockey related way to pass the dog days of the offseason, Puckdoku launched recently and is a lot of fun.

www.puckdoku.com

You're given a 3 x 3 grid with various categories around the edge such as award winners, teams, stat categories etc. You have 9 guesses to find a player that matches each overlapping category. E.g. A player who played for the Sabres and Leafs or a player with 200pims and a Hart trophy. There's a new puzzle daily like wordle. I've been doing it for the last few days and it's pretty fun.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I have wanted something like this for hockey since i have seen the baseball one.

Turns out I am not good at this, either.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
eh, penalty minutes are hard. every fan only knows their own team's goons.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
hosed me up today to learn that Scott Stevens never had 200 PIM in a season with the Devils (he did in half of his Washington years)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bard Maddox posted:

hosed me up today to learn that Scott Stevens never had 200 PIM in a season with the Devils (he did in half of his Washington years)

Ditto I thought that was a slam dunk and ended up wasting another shot on David Clarkson because I was so surprised.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I was also stunned that Scott Stevens wasn't correct.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
This is cool, thanks for sharing.

The only Hab+King I could think of, thanks to Martytoof's amusing post at the time, was Davis Drewiske, picked by 0.4% of people. It was something along the lines of "The Montreal Canadiens have acquired, from the Los Angeles Kings, defenseman Drew...iske."

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I got like 3 and then my pea brain shut off. Fun though

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I think I am just going to use Lee Stempniak or Mike Sillinger for answers when I am stumped. I don't remember all the teams they played for, but I have a pretty good shot at getting it correct.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Here's one for ya. Who is the only NHL player to win a Stanley Cup with both the Rangers and the Devils?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Here's one for ya. Who is the only NHL player to win a Stanley Cup with both the Rangers and the Devils?

John Madden is the first name that comes to mind, but I dont think he played for NY (at least not back in 94 when they won, maybe when he was old?).

Its got to be something real silly like MacTavish winning as a player on the Rags then as staff with the Devils.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Ginette Reno posted:

Sergei Nemchinov?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

John Madden is the first name that comes to mind, but I dont think he played for NY (at least not back in 94 when they won, maybe when he was old?).

Its got to be something real silly like MacTavish winning as a player on the Rags then as staff with the Devils.

It was not Madden. He never played for the Rangers.

Sergei Nemchinov?

Nemchinov is correct. He was on the 94 Rangers and the 99-00 Devils https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3941

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The top 5 season totals of all-time with fewer than ten goals: name those players.

Hint: 1 player takes up two spots in the top 5, so we're talking about four players.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I assume you mean highest point totals with < 10 goals?

Thornton and Henrik Sedin come to mind as possibilities. Adam Oates too

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Mind_Taker posted:

I assume you mean highest point totals with < 10 goals?

Thornton and Henrik Sedin come to mind as possibilities. Adam Oates too

Nope to both. Henrik never had a season under 10 goals. He did have a 10 goal 81 point season which would have been the highest total if we included 10.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Scott Gomez might be one of them. Probably mostly defensemen though.

e: Guys like MacInnis, Potvin, Langway, Coffey maybe?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mentholmoose posted:

Scott Gomez gotta be one of them. Probably mostly defensemen though.

It's not Gomez.

As a hint, it's all defensemen.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Hmm, actually probably not 80’s d-men… uh, hmm.

So Voracek had 62 points in 2021-22 with only six goals. If that’s not even top five, who the gently caress knows.

Karlsson maybe? Lidstrom?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

It's not Gomez.

As a hint, it's all defensemen.

Sergei Zubov? Phil Housley? Andrei Markov? Scott Niedermayer?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
rafalski?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

All incorrect. This is a pretty hard question. The same D is both 1 and 2 on this list. 2 others are no longer active. 1 other is active but very hard to guess.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
active makes me think of quinn hughes, adam fox, or miro heskanein

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

clean ayers act posted:

active makes me think of quinn hughes, adam fox, or miro heskanein

Quinn Hughes is 1 and 2, setting the record last year with 76.

1. Quinn Hughes (76 in 2022-23)
2. Quinn Hughes (68 in 2021-22)
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Quinn Hughes rules

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The remaining 3:

3. Scott Stevens (68 in 88-89)
4. John Klingberg (67 in 17-18)
5. Tomas Kaberle (67 in 05-06)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Dang, kaberle is the guy who immediately came to mind.

There's a bit burned in my brain of (I think) bob cole commentating a power play pass to kaberle with "to kaberle, he won't shoot"

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

This is going to be a tough one, but why not.

Since 1990, 8 players have scored at least 30 goals in a season while also scoring more short-handed goals than power-play goals. Who are they?

Semi-Hint: Nobody has ever done this twice in the post-1990 timeframe, all only once.
Semi-Hint #2: In a fairly tidy fashion, the 8 players nicely "couple" into four different eras of the timeframe, meaning 2 players did it within one era, then another 2 in another era, etc.

I think 4 of these are certainly gettable, and another 2 are as well but might be a little harder. The other 2 I would be surprised if anyone got.

1. Michael Grabner 2010-11

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 26, 2023

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Michael Grabner feels like a correct answer though I'm not sure he ever hit 30 goals. Just remember him having like 10 shorthanded breakaway goals a year.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Mind_Taker posted:

Michael Grabner feels like a correct answer though I'm not sure he ever hit 30 goals. Just remember him having like 10 shorthanded breakaway goals a year.

Grabner is correct, he wound up with a 34-goal rookie year in 2010-11. 2 PPG and 6 SHG! The biggest disparity on the list.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

OK so here are the answers:

Nelson Emerson 93-94
Martin Gelinas 95-96
Steve Sullivan 00-01
Brian Rolston 01-02
Alex Burrows 09-10
Michal Grabner (already guessed) 10-11
Viktor Arviddson 16-17
Sebastian Aho 18-19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

drat! Didn't even get any time.

I also probably wouldn't have gotten any of those. This is the type of trivia question I do poorly with.