Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Sonic Frontiers if I like the idea of a really tight 3d platformer, but am completely neutral on the Sonic property? It's one of those games I can't get a read on: all the reviews seem to say it's a pretty solid 7.5/10 with problems that don't detract from the core experience, but I look at footage and between the godawful pop-in and the weird aesthetic clash between the environment and the enemies, it looks like one of those weekend projects where someone installs UE4 and puts Mario in a Call of Duty level or something.

sonic frontiers is not a tight platformer by any stretch of the imagination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

tripwood posted:

Am I just supposed to go Rambo style to enjoy this game like in Dishonored?

Well I mean, subjective takes and all, but I found Dishonored was a blast to play stealthily, as was MGS5. :shrug:

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

tripwood posted:

I'm trying to play MGS5 like Deus Ex and I was having a pretty good time but the stealthing in this game is absolutely terrible. Snake can't open a loving door without SLAM-JAMMING it into the walls, calling guards from 15 meters away and having them teleport on my location when my back is turned. Am I just supposed to go Rambo style to enjoy this game like in Dishonored?
Since the saving is checkpoint based, if I spend 10 minutes crawling through slow-rear end vents to stealth and die, it sucks to try again and get spotted at the same exact places.

If you want you can go rambo style and still get S ranks if you're quick, but stealth works pretty well though esp. with stealthy prone rolling.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

"I'm dashing everywhere, hell yeah"

"drat, this stealth game is bad, uh"

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

MGSV has a very fluid stealth system with like 5 failure states before you completely alert a base. Enemies can see you, but wont spot you unless youre close or sprinting, which makes you significantly easier to spot. If an enemy fully spots you, you still have a small window to take them out before they put out an alert. Using reflex mode will make taking out enemies that spot you significantly easier.

if an enemy raises an alert, you still can break line-of-sight and lower the alert level by hiding for a little bit. The base will be more cautious at this point, but you can still stealth around no problem. Going Rambo is certainly a viable playstyle, but by no means is it required to play the game. If you want to be stealthy, then you have to be aware of enemies and be attentive to how much they are aware of you. The game gives you the tools needed to be careful, and im not talking about gadgets tho those will certainly help

This fluidity is what makes MGSV a great stealth game because it allows the player to be very flexible and improvise solutions on the fly. Unlike most other stealth games where you should probably reload a save when you get spotted, the player can make a lot of mistakes and still get through a mission without alerting a base. If youre dying a lot in firefights, just run when you start an alert and most times, you will easily get away and will re-enter stealth so you can try again

also, CQC is insanely powerful and can allow Snake to take out all but the toughest enemies without breaking a sweat

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

My only possible guess is that they're playing KB+M and moving at "full walk" or something. Snake can move drat near as fast crouch-walking as he does upright. The amount of control MGS5 gives you over your movement speed with analog sticks is IMO absolutely necessary, I have no idea how they account for it with KB+M.

MGS5 has the best-executed stealth mechanics ever done, like it's not even close.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 7, 2023

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Major Isoor posted:

Wow! I actually liked the gameplay in DL1, but the story and dull protagonist bored me to tears, so I never bothered finishing it. I guess I'll steer clear of DL2 :v:

tbf though you can much easier skip the terrible story in 2 and aren't forced watching dumbass cutscenes

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you're playing with a mouse then reflex mode basically makes it so that you can't fail stealth. Even on a controller, it's really hard to gently caress up stealth when the game allows you to 360 noscope your problems away with a tranq pistol.

Squiggle posted:

My only possible guess is that they're playing KB+M and moving at "full walk" or something. Snake can move drat near as fast crouch-walking as he does upright. The amount of control MGS5 gives you over your movement speed with analog sticks is IMO absolutely necessary, I have no idea how they account for it with KB+M.

It's been ages since I played that game with a keyboard, but IIRC you need to either stop walking when opening the door OR be crouching OR hold Ctrl, which is the default walk button.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 7, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

If you're playing with a mouse then reflex mode basically makes it so that you can't fail stealth. Even on a controller, it's really hard to gently caress up stealth when the game allows you to 360 noscope your problems away with a tranq pistol.

ya, reflex mode kinda breaks the game so i dont play with it on, but im also glad its in there since a lot of ppl need to rely on it

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Squiggle posted:

MGS5 has the best-executed stealth mechanics ever done, like it's not even close.

I switched to KB+M after one of the extra missions in GZ that required aiming at stuff from a helicopter (and I hate aiming guns with a controller anyway) and as I recall you just have a slower walk button to avoid slamming doors.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

haldolium posted:

tbf though you can much easier skip the terrible story in 2 and aren't forced watching dumbass cutscenes

Yeah I think the complaints about the story in DL2 are absolutely valid because it's truly abysmal but imo you don't play Dying Light for the story, you play it because you want to springboard off of zombies heads while dropkicking others off a goddamn roof and make crazy electrified katanas and baseball bats that send enemies flying and have a fun and fluid parkour system that lets you get around quickly and now a glider that is very fun to use in combination with all the parkour stuff. Maybe I'm weird because I can overlook a lovely story as long as the gameplay makes up for it and in this case it's really easy to skip through dialogue and get to the fun stuff. If you're the type of person who needs a good story to go along with it to keep you interested then it might not be for you but I think it's worth checking out for $30 if you had fun playing the first game and want more of that.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

what game was it?

Dragon's Dogma *starts getting pelted with garbage* it has poor ultrawide support! *half of a rotten apple lands in his mouth*

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Didn't Dying Light 2 shove the story down your throat by only letting you skip one line at a time when you pressed the skip button? I know that's the complaint that made me not even bother trying the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

Dragon's Dogma *starts getting pelted with garbage* it has poor ultrawide support! *half of a rotten apple lands in his mouth*

Have you tried this?

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods/discussions/10/2741975115064752815/

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jack Trades posted:

Didn't Dying Light 2 shove the story down your throat by only letting you skip one line at a time when you pressed the skip button? I know that's the complaint that made me not even bother trying the game.

They changed that a few patches in, you can skip conversations much faster now.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I saw that mod, but those known issues...

Toggling the mod every time I want to look at the map doesn't sound fun to me tbh

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

explosivo posted:

Yeah I think the complaints about the story in DL2 are absolutely valid because it's truly abysmal but imo you don't play Dying Light for the story, you play it because you want to springboard off of zombies heads while dropkicking others off a goddamn roof and make crazy electrified katanas and baseball bats that send enemies flying and have a fun and fluid parkour system that lets you get around quickly and now a glider that is very fun to use in combination with all the parkour stuff. Maybe I'm weird because I can overlook a lovely story as long as the gameplay makes up for it and in this case it's really easy to skip through dialogue and get to the fun stuff. If you're the type of person who needs a good story to go along with it to keep you interested then it might not be for you but I think it's worth checking out for $30 if you had fun playing the first game and want more of that.

sorry, you went down the wrong street and the zombies here are too high level to take any damage from your dropkick

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hwurmp posted:

sorry, you went down the wrong street and the zombies here are too high level to take any damage from your dropkick

Is this a thing that happened to you or are you just regurgitating info you read somewhere else?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2088550/Dying_Breed/?curator_clanid=4218320

… do go on, undead husk of MicroProse.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

explosivo posted:

Is this a thing that happened to you or are you just regurgitating info you read somewhere else?

yeah, they're both solid fun games to play so idk

i got dl2 and played it maybe 3/4 of the way through then elden ring came out and i forgot about it instantly, it was fine i guess?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I feel like I've seen half a dozen of these be announced in the last 6 month.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

sebmojo posted:

i got dl2 and played it maybe 3/4 of the way through then elden ring came out and i forgot about it instantly, it was fine i guess?

Yeah it's by no means a masterpiece and I'm not dying on a hill to defend it. I bought it at launch for full price and felt pretty bad about it but over time they did a lot of work on it and for half off if you want to chop heads off of zombies it does that thing really well, is all I'm saying. :shrug:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's literally terrain and assets from CnC.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm just saying more developers should directly pander to my sense of nostalgia. The Carrier Command the undead husk of MicroProse published is actually pretty good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

explosivo posted:

go gently caress yourself

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hey guys can you help me with MGS5 stealth? This game is supposed to let you sneak around but every time I start to fire the minigun it's like EVERY guard knows EXACTLY where I am why does this game suck so much

(yes MGS5 was a disappointing and ultimately bad game but not for that reason. Mechanically, it's one of the best stealth games out there. It was bad because it was completely front-loaded with every bit of its good content with act 2 being boring as poo poo and act 3 being literally unfinished, and that Konami tried to turn it into a Korean MMO grind fest and totally hosed up the end game, pacing, and reward system after Kojima left.)

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 7, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Rusty posted:

It's still the same game, people are hyperbolic about the new dev team, but black matter wasn't the best either. Game is still fun and still has a large player base.

Alright, I guess I'll actually play it instead of falling for youtube thumbnail hyperbole like a prime cut dunce.

tripwood posted:

I'm trying to play MGS5 like Deus Ex and I was having a pretty good time but the stealthing in this game is absolutely terrible. Snake can't open a loving door without SLAM-JAMMING it into the walls, calling guards from 15 meters away and having them teleport on my location when my back is turned. Am I just supposed to go Rambo style to enjoy this game like in Dishonored?
Since the saving is checkpoint based, if I spend 10 minutes crawling through slow-rear end vents to stealth and die, it sucks to try again and get spotted at the same exact places.

oh buddy

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Hey guys can you help me with MGS5 stealth? This game is supposed to let you sneak around but every time I start to fire the minigun it's like EVERY guard knows EXACTLY where I am why does this game suck so much

make sure you've equipped the minigun silencer, and not the pistol silencer or grenade silencer

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hwurmp posted:

go gently caress yourself

lol

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

(yes MGS5 was a disappointing and ultimately bad game but not for that reason. Mechanically, it's one of the best stealth games out there. It was bad because it was completely front-loaded with every bit of its good content with act 2 being boring as poo poo and act 3 being literally unfinished, and that Konami tried to turn it into a Korean MMO grind fest and totally hosed up the end game, pacing, and reward system after Kojima left.)

actually, MGSV owns. dont know how you got that so mixed up

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

MGSV owns precisely because the world was a arrayed against it and it's still one of the best feeling third person stealth/shooters ever made. A bit like how the world was arrayed against Big Boss and the Diamond Dogs. It's a good game because by so many metrics, it should have been a bad game.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the missing act 3 gives the player real phantom pain so they can better emphasize with Venom

kojima is a genius and does it again

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

sebmojo posted:

yep. 1 has a bit more going for it but they're both fun dead island games. Also 2 looks still pretty neat which was always Techlands strength

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the missing act 3 gives the player real phantom pain so they can better emphasize with Venom

I also choose to believe this

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

anilEhilated posted:

That's literally terrain and assets from CnC.
I was about to say, that they've nailed the aesthetic eerily well.

Antigravitas posted:

I'm just saying more developers should directly pander to my sense of nostalgia. The Carrier Command the undead husk of MicroProse published is actually pretty good.
They also made 100% sure it would be buried instantly, with a loving staggering price for a 4v4 title aimed at couch/friends gaming.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

tripwood posted:

I'm trying to play MGS5 like Deus Ex
Same. Knocked out guards eventually waking up and alerts outright spawning more guards made me give on... whatever the MGS5 demo \ prequel was.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Not really a great metaphor, is it? Since phantom pain is a lingering sensation of something you had but lost, not just an absence of something.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Same. Knocked out guards eventually waking up and alerts outright spawning more guards made me give on... whatever the MGS5 demo \ prequel was.

veritable typhoon of terminal skill issue cases itt today

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Xander77 posted:

Guards can't set off an alarm if you tie a balloon to them and send them into the stratosphere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Black Griffon posted:

MGSV owns precisely because the world was a arrayed against it and it's still one of the best feeling third person stealth/shooters ever made. A bit like how the world was arrayed against Big Boss and the Diamond Dogs. It's a good game because by so many metrics, it should have been a bad game.

In particular, going from MGS4's obnoxious commitment to making the player sit and watch it, to MGSV's near-perfected approach to open and emergent gameplay, was a huge surprise.

I like Kojima's bullshit, including 4, but MGSV seriously over delivered on expectations in terms of how good it is to just play.