Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’m seeing some mid 400s mid century modern homes where I’m looking and while they look cool I feel like it’s like buying a used luxury car:looks cool for the price but the upkeep gonna be pricy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

euphronius posted:

I have noticed barely any slow down in house sales

houses are still selling in days. my neighbor never even had a open house.

they are probably all being bought by institutional buyers :(

lol i got a text from some company taht buys up houses asking if i knew anyone that wanted to sell their house but hadn't listed it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

sonatinas posted:

I’m seeing some mid 400s mid century modern homes where I’m looking and while they look cool I feel like it’s like buying a used luxury car:looks cool for the price but the upkeep gonna be pricy.

Upkeep on anything's going to be pricy, new Ryan homes or the like with builder grade poo poo is going to need stuff replaced within five years.

Looks nice, huh?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 14:22 on Jul 7, 2023

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
ugh Ryan homes is using composers for floor plans
Alberti,Beethoven, Brahms,Mendelssohn , Mozart,Schubert.

I see Hemingway,Picasso, Robert Frost,as well…

there more but this forum gives me a variety of psychic damage drat

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

essence of balcony

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
"Spacious Balcony!!" - zillow ad

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
*Balcony not included

Apr 7, 2003

I wonder how much the adult baby gate costs

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Nothus posted:

My boss just moved to be closer to family and her realtor asked her straight-up how much she would take for the house and within 24 hours had brokered a cash deal with an investor. The house never even hit the market.

The only houses around me (southwestern CT) that seem to stay up for more than a day are homes with very serious issues. I was wondering why the big ~3000 sq. ft. house down the street from me with the attached in-law apartment took like a week before the CONTINGENT sign went out, and it turns out the in-law apartment addition has major foundation issues and may be basically falling off of the rest of the house.

Still sold for around $850k.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Nothus posted:

*Balcony not included

lol

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

The only houses around me (southwestern CT) that seem to stay up for more than a day are homes with very serious issues. I was wondering why the big ~3000 sq. ft. house down the street from me with the attached in-law apartment took like a week before the CONTINGENT sign went out, and it turns out the in-law apartment addition has major foundation issues and may be basically falling off of the rest of the house.

Still sold for around $850k.

There was a pretty nice 1890s rowhouse for sale in the South Side here, went to see it and the basement was straight up flooded and there was a sewage problem. The basement had a foot of standing water and the entire house smelled like poo poo. Sold a week after we saw it for $260k.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Upkeep on anything's going to be pricy, new Ryan homes or the like with builder grade poo poo is going to need stuff replaced within five years.

Looks nice, huh?

my mom has one of those and they are not that bad

as you mention tho the quality of the components is minimal and she has put in money over the years upgrading the floors and bathrooms (and back deck lol)

the layouts of those houses are what a lot of people want and like tho and people in her neighborhood have no issues seling them. they usually all have finished basements with normal ceiling heights which adds a lot of usable space

euphronius has issued a correction as of 15:19 on Jul 7, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Builder-grade shithouses are honestly okay if you can confirm that major stuff like the roofing and HVAC equipment isn't absolutely poo poo-tier.

Fit and finish will not be good, but it's relatively easy/cheap to make major improvements to that stuff if you're handy. You really have to be careful that the builder didn't cheap out anything more important, though, which they probably did.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hers was built in 1996 or so. the quality is probably way less now

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

euphronius posted:

hers was built in 1996 or so. the quality is probably way less now

i thought it was the 90s through 2008 where builders forgot insulation exists

Apr 7, 2003

When we were looking we checked out a ~1980 split level here in the city and it was the most boring poo poo house imaginable, a giant artless box for shoveling your kids and your stuff into and not much else. I can't imagine they've gotten any nicer since then

euphronius posted:

the layouts of those houses are what a lot of people want

people want a lot of room to store their poo poo and avoid their family in and not much else, yeah. I'd rather die than live in one of those Ryan houses I posted.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

What's really lovely is that these homes generally are not cheap, and that the "luxury" homes selling for 2-3x the price will typically use a lot of the exact same awful materials.

People need places to live and "here's a box that's big enough for your family to live comfortably" is perfectly fine when you don't end up with a $2500/mo mortgage to pay for it.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
'96 is just old enough for the roof and water heater to be EOL, right?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Roofing, maybe. Water heater would be a real trooper if it's still going after almost 30 years, but water heaters are cheap.

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

What's really lovely is that these homes generally are not cheap, and that the "luxury" homes selling for 2-3x the price will typically use a lot of the exact same awful materials.

People need places to live and "here's a box that's big enough for your family to live comfortably" is perfectly fine when you don't end up with a $2500/mo mortgage to pay for it.

That's the thing though, you're still ending up with a $2500/mo mortgage to share walls

Those "starting at" values don't reflect property taxes or anything but the bare minimum lovely interiors

These are in the rear end end of nowhere, an hour's drive from where the jobs are in morning traffic. These are where all the young people who "love the city" are moving when they have kids and the kids hit four years old, for "good schools."

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 15:32 on Jul 7, 2023

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Looks nice, huh?

Where are the trees?!?!?! This is hell. Why does the broadside have zero windows or natural light when it directly faces west?!?! I hate this so much. It's 80% petroleum and 20% wood pulp with shingles thinner than the developer's hairline.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
We are building 3500sq ft shacks on industrial agriwaste land with lower quality baselines than a Craftsman home purchased from the 19th century catalog. I don't understand this stage of development! Why do we continue on this path?! Where are the god drat trees?! Why can't we have windows??? I want to throttle these developers for their sheer inhumanity toward whoever has the lack of fucks to buy these things. It's a box, the simplest architecture thing we've built since time immemorial and we're just slapping them together with tape, vinyl, and nails, and hoping no one cares that everything falls apart as soon as home warranty expires. We have the gall to charge a family decades of their labor value for the privilege to live in the decay of petroleum fumes. Why!!! AAAAAaah

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah I feel sad to see Ryan and Centex and whoever getting demonized because they are the cheapest, entry level builders who are legit doing cost engineering to slash to the bone and offer houses as cheaply as they can at the bottom of the market.

My first house was new from Centex for $160k, a huge 2400sqft place with a 2 car garage that was the most expensive thing they built in the neighborhood. They have delivered an insane volume of cheap, decent homes in the US. It had a lot of cheap shortcuts in it like plastic single piece shower surrounds and prefab walls that got trucked in, but guess what? That single piece plastic can't have poor sealing or a cracked tile somewhere, and those prefab walls built in a factory are actually square.

The overall quality was fine on mine, probably because you have crews moving house to house doing the same thing to 40 houses in a row. Their low end designs tend to be way simpler and more forgiving of poor quality and fuckups. My current house from ostensibly a higher end builder sucks so much more in a dozen ways.

The big builders want conditions to be better for building lots of houses and selling them at prices where lots of people can buy them. They don't want every step of the process to be insanely expensive and slow. Ryan Homes is not the reason houses are expensive, if anything they're part of the solution.

Now, it is a big problem that they build these houses 25 miles from anywhere...

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

A Bad King posted:

We are building 3500sq ft shacks on industrial agriwaste land with lower quality baselines than a Craftsman home purchased from the 19th century catalog. I don't understand this stage of development! Why do we continue on this path?! Where are the god drat trees?! Why can't we have windows??? I want to throttle these developers for their sheer inhumanity toward whoever has the lack of fucks to buy these things. It's a box, the simplest architecture thing we've built since time immemorial and we're just slapping them together with tape, vinyl, and nails, and hoping no one cares that everything falls apart as soon as home warranty expires. We have the gall to charge a family decades of their labor value for the privilege to live in the decay of petroleum fumes. Why!!! AAAAAaah

number go up, op

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Insanite posted:

number go up, op

triple post but I'm just screaming into the void here god drat like, how the gently caress. How. Is this the only way to solve the housing crisis! Why is this the answer, a giant rear end-stain of an isolation cube of poo poo! It's loving debilitating! We're killing our mental health as we murder the natural world that spawned us and for what -- the shape of a loving hellbox to watch our world finally burn in the hubris of poo poo we are leaving for our children?! Is this the treat?! The aspirational middle point of a well-lived life? Where is the child supposed to play for gently caress's sake?! Are the birds just supposed to not exist?! Domesticated farm animals would reject this hellscape of a ecology and lay over and die than live in it. This is a spiritual death camp.

Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Now, it is a big problem that they build these houses 25 miles from anywhere...

There are empty lots all over this city, the problem is that they applied minimum lot size requirements to stuff that was already built. In my neighborhood if you want to build something new, you need two adjacent lots because the stuff that was originally built is all on 30' x 100' lots and the new minimum is 38' or 40' wide lots. Couldn't hollow a city out more thoroughly if you tried, and maybe they did.

Apr 7, 2003

I stuck a mailbox on the place I'm moving to yesterday

apparently you're not allowed to stick a mailbox on your house like that in most areas in the US now because mail carriers don't get around on foot anymore.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

A Bad King posted:

triple post but I'm just screaming into the void here god drat like, how the gently caress. How. Is this the only way to solve the housing crisis! Why is this the answer, a giant rear end-stain of an isolation cube of poo poo! It's loving debilitating! We're killing our mental health as we murder the natural world that spawned us and for what -- the shape of a loving hellbox to watch our world finally burn in the hubris of poo poo we are leaving for our children?! Is this the treat?! The aspirational middle point of a well-lived life? Where is the child supposed to play for gently caress's sake?! Are the birds just supposed to not exist?! Domesticated farm animals would reject this hellscape of a ecology and lay over and die than live in it. This is a spiritual death camp.

in my metro area, everything outside the ring of 1960ish sprawl is this. the wealthy have fled to them, and it’s a fuckin trip pulling up to a whole gigantic field of nearly identical McMansions, with the new concrete and not a tree in sight. it feels like a movie set.

my mom grew up in the area and remembers riding her bike to the farms and orchards outside of town. the spot she specifically referenced is a mall, and the deathsprawl continues for like 15 miles in every direction around it.

Apr 7, 2003

meanolmrcloud posted:

in my metro area, everything outside the ring of 1960ish sprawl is this. the wealthy have fled to them, and it’s a fuckin trip pulling up to a whole gigantic field of nearly identical McMansions, with the new concrete and not a tree in sight. it feels like a movie set.

these places start at a million bucks and are an hour and a half from the major job centers here during rush hour

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

A Bad King posted:

Hi, I'm the cheap builder defender and I'm logging on.

My apartment hiked the rent in me from $640/mo to 780/mo and I said "almost $800? gently caress that, I can buy a house for that" and I did.

I bought a lovely brown box on agriwaste land. Because of Houstons insane development history, we were in an empty wasteland in between Houston and a suburb, which actually put us only 5 miles from the Medical Center, with a shorter commute than the suburbs where most people live. The apartment we were living in was a lovely brown box anyway.

I lived there 6 years and barely it appreciated in price, but that ended up being a global good maybe because the guy I sold it to mentioned during the process that he was using some exotic mortgage instrument and had less than $8k to his name, but he was able to buy that big-rear end house anyway.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they deliver on foot for urban post offices iirc

foot delivery is a unique post office job that doesn’t exist everywhere.

the rural post offices have a completely different union too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

butler county ftw

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

butler county ftw

Yeah, For The Whites

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol

Apr 7, 2003

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

A Bad King posted:

there are kinder, greener ways to solve the housing crisis, but they will not result in correct number going up

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Twerk from Home posted:

Hi, I'm the cheap builder defender and I'm logging on.

My apartment hiked the rent in me from $640/mo to 780/mo and I said "almost $800? gently caress that, I can buy a house for that" and I did.

I bought a lovely brown box on agriwaste land. Because of Houstons insane development history, we were in an empty wasteland in between Houston and a suburb, which actually put us only 5 miles from the Medical Center, with a shorter commute than the suburbs where most people live. The apartment we were living in was a lovely brown box anyway.

I lived there 6 years and barely it appreciated in price, but that ended up being a global good maybe because the guy I sold it to mentioned during the process that he was using some exotic mortgage instrument and had less than $8k to his name, but he was able to buy that big-rear end house anyway.

I'm venting because I know that with a little thought, an iota of better planning from the people we put in responsibility for planning, we could have made things immeasurably better for the same cost or cheaper. The fact that it went the direction it did just does it in for me.

The entire structure of the tax code promotes exurbs that cannot maintain their own costs and depend on number going up in the urban centers to fund their costs in perpetuity. It's bad.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

IME a house built in the 60's (provided it was updated and isn't running ancient furnace/electrical) aren't too bad on maintenance because everything that could go wrong already has and they're made with rock solid materials. Meanwhile stick built mcmansions have a billion corners cut that fail first inspection and start cracking apart as they settle

My biggest complaint on old houses are the weird bathroom layouts and lack of closet space since apparently people back then only wore three outfits and two pairs of shoes

Apr 7, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

IME a house built in the 60's (provided it was updated and isn't running ancient furnace/electrical) aren't too bad on maintenance because everything that could go wrong already has and they're made with rock solid materials. Meanwhile stick built mcmansions have a billion corners cut that fail first inspection and start cracking apart as they settle

My biggest complaint on old houses are the weird bathroom layouts and lack of closet space since apparently people back then only wore three outfits and two pairs of shoes

People here are actively ruining 1890s era townhomes by trying to jam all the HGTV poo poo into them instead of just adapting to the floorplans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

adapting to existing floor plans of a house is Soviet

blasting open floor plan hgtv into a perfectly fine home is America