Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

my parents converted to get a discount on pre-k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

gradenko_2000 posted:

They're so grognardy about it that there's a whole separate guide to the nautical jargon used in the books that you're supposed to use side by side so you can understand wtf is going on

looks like the first book is free on audable so let's see how well my knowledge holds up

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
presented without context the best sentence in the series and maybe all of English literature

"Jack, you've debauched my sloth"

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

It's spelled bos'n

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

mawarannahr posted:

It's spelled boson

some forecastle never eat a skunk but then again some forecastle

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i prefer boatswain

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

but pronounced exactly that way

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

paranoid randroid posted:

presented without context the best sentence in the series and maybe all of English literature

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth"
:emptyquote:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Boston ftw

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Clark Nova posted:

putting it in that context, pretending to believe in biology so that you can "prove" that god made certain people inferior on purpose is an insanely repulsive grift

Many christians believe in biology.

Bro Dad posted:

my parents converted to get a discount on pre-k

Legends.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Clark Nova posted:

putting it in that context, pretending to believe in biology so that you can "prove" that god made certain people inferior on purpose is an insanely repulsive grift

Also against the entire foundation of Christianity, a universal covenant with no Chosen People, no transmission by blood, neither Jew nor Greek

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Weka posted:

I'd assumed anyone described as "trad" would care deeply about this sort of poo poo but I honestly don't know. is their whole deal just gender roles and aesthetics?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Weka posted:

which ones

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'll use Acts 10:12 to make this point.

Saint Peter has a vision of a sheet descending from heaven filled with all manner of animals, both clean and unclean by Jewish dietary laws. It's a celebration of the wonderful diversity of the natural world, and an implicit acknowledgement of the principles of biology. God then tells Peter, "What God has made clean, do not call common." It's a representation of the incredible variety of the natural world and a clear acknowledgment that all of it is valuable and clean in God's eyes, regardless of human classification or division.

This passage goes even deeper than an appreciation for biology. God was not just speaking to Peter about animals, but using the vision as a metaphor for humanity. By indicating that no creature should be considered "common" or unclean, the passage sends a powerful message about the equality of all humans, regardless of their biological differences or cultural distinctions. It's the same message as Galatians 3:28, "There is neither Jew nor Greek".

The core message is that Christianity is a faith that transcends biology and race. Its universal message calls followers to see all humans as equally worthy in the eyes of God, refuting any ideas of racism or eugenics. In other words, Christianity isn't bound by the categorizations of biology. Instead, it focuses on the sanctity and value of every individual soul.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
wow it will be great when the huge majority of american christians figure that out

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
"neither jew nor greek" is an interesting line to me, because by the time the new testament is being written the hellenistic jews are long gone. is it just a weird coincidence that they chose that particular phrasing or would the cultural memory of jewish syncretism like that be relevant to peter and his attempts to make people stop calling it a splinter jewish cult?

e: wait, this isnt the history thread

Malleum has issued a correction as of 15:33 on Jul 7, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Malleum posted:

"neither jew nor greek" is an interesting line to me, because by the time the new testament is being written the hellenistic jews are long gone. is it just a weird coincidence that they chose that particular phrasing or would the cultural memory of jewish syncretism like that be relevant to peter and his attempts to make people stop calling it a splinter jewish cult?

e: wait, this isnt the history thread

I think it goes back to evangelizing to gentiles and the debates about circumcision in the early church, which is kind of the background to Luke-Acts, though other people would know better than me. Since the same passage also mentions "male and female" "slave or free", I think it's about breaking the bonds of essential categories in favour of a universal message, rather than a specific inclusion of Hellenized Jews imo.

the milk machine posted:

wow it will be great when the huge majority of american christians figure that out

:(

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Frosted Flake posted:

I'll use Acts 10:12 to make this point.

Saint Peter has a vision of a sheet descending from heaven filled with all manner of animals, both clean and unclean by Jewish dietary laws. It's a celebration of the wonderful diversity of the natural world, and an implicit acknowledgement of the principles of biology. God then tells Peter, "What God has made clean, do not call common." It's a representation of the incredible variety of the natural world and a clear acknowledgment that all of it is valuable and clean in God's eyes, regardless of human classification or division.

This passage goes even deeper than an appreciation for biology. God was not just speaking to Peter about animals, but using the vision as a metaphor for humanity. By indicating that no creature should be considered "common" or unclean, the passage sends a powerful message about the equality of all humans, regardless of their biological differences or cultural distinctions. It's the same message as Galatians 3:28, "There is neither Jew nor Greek".

The core message is that Christianity is a faith that transcends biology and race. Its universal message calls followers to see all humans as equally worthy in the eyes of God, refuting any ideas of racism or eugenics. In other words, Christianity isn't bound by the categorizations of biology. Instead, it focuses on the sanctity and value of every individual soul.
Does this also mean animals have souls? Do spiders go to heaven?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Does this also mean animals have souls? Do spiders go to heaven?

Unfortunately not, though you should still be nice to them.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
In terms of christian theology, if animals have no souls, why should we be nice to them exactly?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Because they're still God's creation I suppose. If you wreck your dad's stuff you may not have killed someone but it's still not very nice.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Descartes posted:

In terms of christian theology, if animals have no souls, why should we be nice to them exactly?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Eh kids wreck their parents' poo poo all the time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
God is reflected in nature, and man is the steward of the environment. We are responsible for their care and well-being.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Orange Devil posted:

because being nice is nice

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Clark Nova posted:

does that happen with all their articles or just barefoot eugenics?

Tried a GIS of "Kathryn Paige Harden feet".

Very disappointing results.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

God is reflected in nature, and man is the steward of the environment. We are responsible for their care and well-being.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

What does well-being mean to a soulless creature? Or more specifically, what even is a soul in Christian theology?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

if god is truly in everything i piss in gods face and sit on his face and poo poo in his mouth like daily. gods a freak

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

[as i lay dying of thirst buried in rubble] wow i can really see god in the maggots feasting on my exposed entrails, thank you for not letting me die yet, god

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Al! posted:

[as i lay dying of thirst buried in rubble] wow i can really see god in the maggots feasting on my exposed entrails, thank you for not letting me die yet, god

unironically : yes

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What does well-being mean to a soulless creature? Or more specifically, what even is a soul in Christian theology?

A soul is what makes you different than a rabbit and also why you should be kind to one.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

A soul is what makes you different than a rabbit and also why you should be kind to one.
I got you. Soul = thumb.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
mullah nasruddin proved that God is an aubergine and really who doesn't like a nice eggplant parmesan

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

paranoid randroid posted:

mullah nasruddin proved that God is an aubergine and really who doesn't like a nice eggplant parmesan

The only acceptable use of an eggplant is baba ganoush

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

The only acceptable use of an eggplant is baba ganoush

this is haram

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Al! posted:

this is haram

Look, if you want to keep eating your soggy gross Italian-American racial slur vegetable that’s up to you I guess, but you’re still wrong

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Look, if you want to keep eating your soggy gross Italian-American racial slur vegetable that’s up to you I guess, but you’re still wrong

🤌

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
much like God, eggplants are kind of a pain in the rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

In a twist of the standard tales of faeries, Changelings are fae souls that have taken up residence in mortal flesh in order to survive the growing banality of the world by adopting the Changeling Way. As such, their internal essence, or mien, is of the Dreaming, and must be balanced against their mortal selves, or Seeming. (The part of the Dreaming usually reveals itself during the Chrysalis, although glimpses can be caught beforehand.) To preserve their own chimerical spark, Changelings must balance both parts of their existence against each other; failure may result in their fae soul's Undoing, their becoming a Dauntain, or their descent into the inescapable madness of Bedlam.