Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Randalor posted:

Jerrek was Loup who was an amalgamation of Ysengrin and Coyote, and who seemed to become his own entity after the initial "Ysengrin gained Coyote's powers and his id took over living out his darkest desires before calming the gently caress down".

I'm not saying that Jerrek is now Ysengrin, just that if Coyote left Loup (and presumably taking the shapeshifting powers with him), if this means that Ysengrin got what he wanted and he is now human, albeit with a new personality/identity. I guess the question is just how much of Ysengrin's memories Jerrek has, or if his memories only extend back to the birth of Loup.

I think this is less Coyote leaving Loup and more that Loup hit a hidden Coyote ‘recorded message’ that triggered on the L word, so he’s not changed any while still able to talk with past Coyote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Coyote learning the comic is now bad

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Coyote is disappointed in you, the reader, for not supporting his ship.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Based on earlier information, we know this is the last time we Annie sees Coyote.

And honestly, if he made this face and then just popped out of existence forever, it woulda been pretty rad.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 5, 2023

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
Part of why it stings so much when the characters don't really care about everything that gets resolved off panel is because this comic is so excellent at reaction faces

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

The idea is solid, except for the part where we were meant to understand the relationship between Ysengrin and Annie as the seeds of romance.

coyote's idea of the seeds of romance. we'll pretend it's all intentional, that makes it okay, right?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Okay this page was pretty funny.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Skippy McPants posted:

There is probably a way to do this well since historically mythic characters and beings tend to have a pretty... hmm, slanted view of morality? But that kind of setup required a lot more nuance and consideration than we got.

This dodge doesn't work because it isn't just Coyote, and refuting it now doesn't undo the years of awkward details and weird vibes. Heck, just a few pages ago, Jerrek said he had a thing for Annie up until Lana fell in his lap. Again, if Tom didn't want those weird vibes, he needed to be a lot more explicit in places about what was and wasn't going on.

Edit: that said, I would really appreciate it if Annie said something like, "Me and Ysengrin? Yuck, no, gently caress no. What the gently caress is wrong with you space dog?"

Skippy's pretty much nailed my feelings on this one. Like, if the comic acknowledged how gross any of this is, it'd be a lot better. And maybe it will later, I don't know. As it is now, it's just... hard to get over it. As funny as Coyote's expressions are.

Still wondering "to what end" with Coyote's plan, but I am curious what'll come of Coyote and Lana chatting.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Coyote is going eat Lana in a single bite.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I am legit afraid he is going to kill her yeah, and it will be used for Loup Pathos.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Baller Ina posted:

Coyote is going eat Lana in a single bite.

and then Annie will cut her from his stomach with the tooth

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Yeah this would land a lot better for me if Jerrick wasn't seriously crushing on Annie before and only stopped when Lana pretty much forced him to pay attention to her. I guess the silver lining is Annie had no interest in Jerrick and never properly acknowledged his crush (...except now we're wondering if Ysengrin was Annie's crush), but we were absolutely supposed to guess at "Will they/won't they??" with respect to them starting to date, and I still find that weird, even if they didn't get together.

Basically this:

Skippy McPants posted:

There is probably a way to do this well since historically mythic characters and beings tend to have a pretty... hmm, slanted view of morality? But that kind of setup required a lot more nuance and consideration than we got.

This dodge doesn't work because it isn't just Coyote, and refuting it now doesn't undo the years of awkward details and weird vibes. Heck, just a few pages ago, Jerrek said he had a thing for Annie up until Lana fell in his lap. Again, if Tom didn't want those weird vibes, he needed to be a lot more explicit in places about what was and wasn't going on.

Edit: that said, I would really appreciate it if Annie said something like, "Me and Ysengrin? Yuck, no, gently caress no. What the gently caress is wrong with you space dog?"

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
The bottom three panels befits a lot of reader reactions to the pace of new characters in the last book.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

ronya posted:

The bottom three panels befits a lot of reader reactions to the pace of new characters in the last book.

Hell, and some of the old characters lol.

And more relevant to the update and not just me being disappointed lol:

I could see Coyote finding this situation hilarious. His brilliant plan gone awry because of the unpredictability of humans. In his past stories, he seems to love when things don't go according to his plan.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

coyote didnt plan for the raw magnetism of someone willing to be edgy at a bunch of lower class minorities in an alley

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Patware posted:

coyote didnt plan for the raw magnetism of someone willing to be violent with a bunch of lower class minorities and a young girl in an alley

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

catapede posted:

Hell, and some of the old characters lol.

And more relevant to the update and not just me being disappointed lol:

I could see Coyote finding this situation hilarious. His brilliant plan gone awry because of the unpredictability of humans. In his past stories, he seems to love when things don't go according to his plan.

to be fair he literally perceives human civilization as an anthill

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Coyote, you're being a creepy little freak. Quit being a creepy little freak.

Also, loving how Jerrek's agency is the only thing driving this plot and Annie is little more than wallpaper.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Coyote will have some choice words on his Tumblr over this.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Awww, poor Coyote didn't get his creepy borderline-incestuous-probably-beastiality-definitely-pedophilic ship. Good.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Another media property brought down by shippers. Only this time, it was an inside job.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa7O8juc44k

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I dunno this is kind of funny. way too long of a build up for this payoff but coyote getting owned posthumously is funny.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FlocksOfMice posted:

I dunno this is kind of funny. way too long of a build up for this payoff but coyote getting owned posthumously is funny.

I'd laugh if Coyote evaporated at this point. And everyone was left staring at the little scorch mark he was standing at last before going "Hm, weird. Well, whatever." and walking away.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

this is extremely funny and I wish we didn't have to sit through the previous chapters to get to it

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah this is quite funny, but it would have been great if we arrived here on behalf of any agency from Annie. Replace the creepy alleyway scene with one where Annie tries to set up Lana and Jerrek, can fill it with them messing up dumb romance cliches or something to portray how out of touch she is with real life. Or something else idk. I would say that Annie is little more than the doll Jerrek didn't pick, but that's giving Lana too little credit, who had plenty of agency in this development.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'd laugh if Coyote evaporated at this point. And everyone was left staring at the little scorch mark he was standing at last before going "Hm, weird. Well, whatever." and walking away.
Then Tom posts the "make of that what you will" meme popular in here and adds the end of chapter symbol.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, wherever this scene goes and however long it lasts, it must end with Coyote vanishing from existence after mugging or delivering a pithy line.

It is too obvious and too good a bit to pass up.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

It zooms out to a bigger Coyote saying "I knew this would happen."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It turns out everyone in the comic was a dead goose all along. Except for Jones.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's Numberwang!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Cavelcade posted:

tom please, we need this

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I like how he says "Jerrek's..." like he's kind of struggling to remember who that is for a second. Then when he realizes it's Loup's humansona he's like :catstare:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Look at Jerrek being so sheepish and meek. Classic Loup. That's the Loup we know. Those are certainly traits he's always had. Totally.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Look at Jerrek being so sheepish and meek. Classic Loup. That's the Loup we know. Those are certainly traits he's always had. Totally.
While not outright stated, it’s strongly implied that Loup’s personality has been subsumed or at least suppressed by the Jerrek personality. Similar to how Coyote thought he was an actual dead goose for a period of time. Loup even admits being Jerrek mellowed him out.

So, I think this is fine. Kinda depends on what happens next.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I guess that happened offscreen, like everything else

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

While not outright stated, it’s strongly implied that Loup’s personality has been subsumed or at least suppressed by the Jerrek personality. Similar to how Coyote thought he was an actual dead goose for a period of time. Loup even admits being Jerrek mellowed him out.

So, I think this is fine. Kinda depends on what happens next.

Plus, y'know, it's a bit like your dad finding out he completely misinterpreted a situation and is about to lose his poo poo. There comes a point where you're just embarrassed, no matter how powerful you are.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Cavelcade posted:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine Coyote saying "I knew this would happen", forever.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I still don’t give a poo poo about jerrek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I guess that happened offscreen, like everything else
:emptyquote:

an iksar marauder posted:

I still don’t give a poo poo about jerrek
Jerrek is a maguffin to me at this point. He's a star trek deflector dish. Sure in one comic he can explode stars and in the next he can't even fry an egg but he's just a vessel for coyote shenanigans.

Huh I guess I'm back at bargaining.