Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I remember when I had just moved to the area someone asked me if we were near a particular street and I looked blankly at him and he eventually said "...YOU DON'T KNOW!' in a tone of pure despair and wandered off.

Well, it was true, I didn't know (and didn't then have a smartphone to look it up in Google Maps).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Left turns (in countries where we drive on the right). They slow down traffic and cause accidents. Seriously, look it up, left turns should be loving banned; traffic would be more efficient and there would be less accidents if left-turns were outlawed and instead everyone did a little three-right-turns thing to get to where they're going.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Before smartphones if you didn’t walk around with a briefcase full of Mapquest papers to all popular locations were you even alive

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I trust a person who knows the area more than google maps. there's a million local factors "go this way, traffic: medium, maybe?" won't tell you

Yeah true but it get annoying if all you want is the address and what they give you is “so yeah nah you wanna go up the road but not too far, keep going way out beyond the black stump and hang a left at the house weird looking dog but if you go past the cop shop you’ve gone too far and…”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've lived in this city for 37 years and the last time someone asked me for directions I sent them the wrong way down the main road to get on a highway I use weekly

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My friend was just like "I don't think that's right" as the car pulled away

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I mostly use public transit to get around and I'm perfectly capable of answering "how do you get there" in terms of bus and train routes and all but helpless when you ask where a particular road goes

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

I've lived in this city for 37 years and the last time someone asked me for directions I sent them the wrong way down the main road to get on a highway I use weekly

I recently was walking somewhere and a lady with a walker stopped to ask if she was going the right way to a specific street. I told her, whoa, not at all lady, it's the opposite direction, about five blocks.

I continued on walking, then I reached the street she was looking for. I realized the street I sent her to was the wrong one. I can't remember the streets now, but they both start with the same letter and sound kinda similar and oh god I felt so bad :(

here's a pet peeve: I never really use YouTube but I did today and for some reason I was getting a ton of Mr. Beast and his dumb Ron DeSantis face and I just want to make it so YouTube does not recommend him to me. But I couldn't figure out how to do it, and I ended up clicking on a lot of Mr. Beast stuff in my search to block him, and now YouTube must think I'm a massive Mr. Beast fan :mad:

credburn has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Jul 4, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

oldpainless posted:

Before smartphones if you didn’t walk around with a briefcase full of Mapquest papers to all popular locations were you even alive

Thankful I was but a child until smartphones became big 😌😌😌

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah I'd be inclined to give directions like "turn left towards the elementary school" like hosed if I know the street name but I went to that school, so.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

credburn posted:

Left turns (in countries where we drive on the right). They slow down traffic and cause accidents. Seriously, look it up, left turns should be loving banned; traffic would be more efficient and there would be less accidents if left-turns were outlawed and instead everyone did a little three-right-turns thing to get to where they're going.
Sounds like you might appreciate a good old Michigan left. (I know I do.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bargearse posted:

Yeah true but it get annoying if all you want is the address and what they give you is “so yeah nah you wanna go up the road but not too far, keep going way out beyond the black stump and hang a left at the house weird looking dog but if you go past the cop shop you’ve gone too far and…”
I hate that.

:clint: It's the brown brick building across from the bottle shop at the top of the hill, just off the main road.
:crossarms: OK, but what's the address?
:clint: Oh, not sure of the name of the street, but you can't miss it.

Your directions are loving useless. I have no idea what you're talking about and I guarantee you, I can and will miss it. Why is it so difficult to just give an address?

credburn posted:

I never really use YouTube but I did today and for some reason I was getting a ton of Mr. Beast and his dumb Ron DeSantis face and I just want to make it so YouTube does not recommend him to me. But I couldn't figure out how to do it, and I ended up clicking on a lot of Mr. Beast stuff in my search to block him, and now YouTube must think I'm a massive Mr. Beast fan :mad:
First, go to your watch history. You'll see the videos you accidentally viewed in there. Click the X on each one to remove them so they don't influence your recommendations any more. Sometimes you need to wait a few seconds after the page loads for the X button to appear, so give it a moment if you can't see it immediately. You also have to hover your mouse over the video.

Next, whenever you next see a recommendation for that channel, click the three dots beside the video title. In that menu you'll see the option "Don't recommend channel".

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Jul 4, 2023

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

credburn posted:

Move to New Jersey

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
people who take gym selfies or worse, have someone film them like "here's me, doin lat pulldowns, anybody notice i work out yet, i need a tripod and two associates manning the phone camera to Influence ok set 17 here we go"

like peaches in paradise gently caress off, i'm here to do my poo poo and then leave, i do not like waiting for a piece of equipment or for the fuckin sink in the locker room to wash my hands because someone needs to gaze at themself

it's like the old "curls in the squat rack" times 100000000 because no, it's squats in the squat rack, but over and over from multiple angles to make it very clear that yes, i, influencer, do in fact squat. watch my 17 part insta story of me squatting progressively lower weights but bumper plates so you can't tell bc the goal is not strength nor aesthetics, it's video of me doing squats

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

credburn posted:

I'm glad it's not just me. I'll go out of my way to turn right onto a street I need to go down, or at least find a stoplight to turn left at. There's one near our house that occasionally skips our side when cycling through the lights, which is its own pet peeve, but the street is semi-busy and doesn't have great visibility from the left, so I will sit there as long as I have to, drat it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

people who take gym selfies or worse, have someone film them like "here's me, doin lat pulldowns, anybody notice i work out yet, i need a tripod and two associates manning the phone camera to Influence ok set 17 here we go"

like peaches in paradise gently caress off, i'm here to do my poo poo and then leave, i do not like waiting for a piece of equipment or for the fuckin sink in the locker room to wash my hands because someone needs to gaze at themself

it's like the old "curls in the squat rack" times 100000000 because no, it's squats in the squat rack, but over and over from multiple angles to make it very clear that yes, i, influencer, do in fact squat. watch my 17 part insta story of me squatting progressively lower weights but bumper plates so you can't tell bc the goal is not strength nor aesthetics, it's video of me doing squats

God yeah there are women at my gym who will take loving Instagram or tiktok videos in the changeroom where there's mirrors reflecting other people changing. I didn't agree to be in your loving tiktok, least of all when I'm trying to put pants on

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Working retail on a holiday. Customer says it's a shame we have to work on a holiday. Cousin, you are in this store driving the demand that causes us to have to work on a holiday. Don't play like you give a poo poo.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Went for a hike the other day with some friends and there was this woman who... I don't know how to describe her, except she was like, a glass figurine almost. Her features were sharp and perfect, and her makeup was absolutely perfect, her clothing looked expensive and fit her perfectly. She walked slowly and delicately, like she couldn't risk breaking a sweat or getting dirty at all, and had a team of two photographers take her picture throughout her entire hike. I kept bumping into them at various points. I figured she was a model but my friends I was hiking with, we couldn't tell if she was like, A Big Deal (everything about her seemed absurdly professional and expensive) or just a uh, you know. TikTok person.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
It was all downhill the moment we let the general public use the internet.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

InediblePenguin posted:

Move to New Jersey

Yes. We had these (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jughandle).

Also roundabouts (we called them "Traffic Circles").

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

My peeve is people scheduling things in the building that I work in for times when we're closed and the building needs to remain locked and secure. I'm frequently the only person on the 2nd floor until opening and if you don't make sure the doors are closed behind you people absolutely do wander in, thinking that we're open! And it's a security risk because they don't even tell us when they schedule these things so often we don't know until a student wanders up onto the 2nd floor and we have to ask them to leave and hope that they're agreeable. There are other buildings on campus with meeting spaces, why the hell can't they use those or wait until we're open (usually only an hour after these trainings are generally scheduled!). There isn't even anyone scheduled to work the front desk by the door until opening and I have to go do poo poo in other areas so I kind of don't like being startled by random people when there isn't supposed to be anyone in the building who doesn't work here. We've complained about this before but they don't tell our supervisor (who doesn't even work in the same building) either so if I disappear someone probably whacked me in the head with an atlas or something, RIP :rip:

edit: goddamn it, someone let a random student in the building and told them they could wait in the (unmanned and empty) lobby until we opened while i was upstairs by myself, away from the desk because I had opening poo poo to do. COOL

HOLY FUCK has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Jul 5, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

This office building, filled entirely by (allegedly) functional adults has "Remember to flush the toilet" signs on the bathroom stall doors.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Arrath posted:

This office building, filled entirely by (allegedly) functional adults has "Remember to flush the toilet" signs on the bathroom stall doors.

Believe it or not, there are (allegedly) functional adults who don't wipe their rear end.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Confirmed

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have it on good authority that wiping your own rear end makes you gay

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Believe it or not, there are (allegedly) functional adults who don't wipe their rear end.

Sigh, this fuckin planet

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I've worked with several of those people. In and out of a restroom stall in 10 seconds with no wiping or flushing, just a quick blast of liquid poo poo all over the place and they're gone.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I just can't consider them "people" tbqh

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Do you work with pigeons?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

After learning that there are people out there who don't wash their feet and people who don't brush their tongues, I really shouldn't be surprised by additional hygienic failures, and yet... :gonk:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I hate that the opioid epidemic has ruined getting actual pain killers except in the most dire of circumstances.

I'm headed to urgent care in about ten minutes because my Achilles has been swollen and in massive pain since the 3rd. But I know I'm just going to be told "well, stay off of it, alternate ice and heat, elevate, and take like 800mg of Ibuprofen every six hours." Even though that's what I've BEEN doing and it's done jack-all. Maybe they'll actually do an x-ray and see something actually bad, but man, can I just get like a dozen loving vicodin so when I hobble around my house, just to get from my loving bed to the bathroom and kitchen, I'm not practically in tears?! It's like a 7 or 8 on that pain scale.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

I hate that the opioid epidemic has ruined getting actual pain killers except in the most dire of circumstances.

I'm headed to urgent care in about ten minutes because my Achilles has been swollen and in massive pain since the 3rd. But I know I'm just going to be told "well, stay off of it, alternate ice and heat, elevate, and take like 800mg of Ibuprofen every six hours." Even though that's what I've BEEN doing and it's done jack-all. Maybe they'll actually do an x-ray and see something actually bad, but man, can I just get like a dozen loving vicodin so when I hobble around my house, just to get from my loving bed to the bathroom and kitchen, I'm not practically in tears?! It's like a 7 or 8 on that pain scale.

My roommate cannot take any over-the-counter pain medications for various medical/drug interaction reasons and her doctor will still not prescribe opioids for anything less than a limb falling off (apparently her knee being all but disintegrated from the inside doesn't count) and I am really not sure what she is expected to do. Thank god they just legalized weed here (and 'accidentally' legalized most edibles a few months ago).

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It's something a lot of programs do: Instantly execute with the input of a field, every time it updates.
Sometimes that's perfectly fine, if the program is responsive while you do it, sometimes the program will hang for ages because you accidentally slid a slider and now it's going to execute a dozen operations.

(Ex, if you use a filter to search your scene in 3DS Max, it starts a new search for every new letter. Typing in '*screw' will have it search for *, then *s, *sc, *scr, *scre, *screw, and won't progress until the search of the previous has completed. )

So many of these would instantly be improved if they only execute after the input has been stable for like a fraction of a second. The search is going to take like 5-15 sec anyway, so there's no harm in waiting 0.2 sec to start.
It's a really tedious microannoyance in a lot of 3D and etc software.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

docbeard posted:

and I am really not sure what she is expected to do.
Chronic condition? Get her doctor to refer her to a pain clinic.

Edit: although all hydro-and oxycodone I’ve seen is blended with acetaminophen, so that may be a problem for her.

WithoutTheFezOn has a new favorite as of 15:13 on Jul 7, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It drives me crazy to read about some insane legislative move or court ruling that everyone hates, but they shrug and go along with it anyway. Case in point: Abbott's so-called "Death Star bill" in Texas where people are dying because they're banned from taking water breaks in triple digit heat. Do people know that they can tell Abbott to gently caress himself and give water breaks anyway? What's he going to do about it, wheel himself somewhere in his little wheelchair and cry about it?

I'll take a small Frosty and a small order of fries, please.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It drives me crazy to read about some insane legislative move or court ruling that everyone hates, but they shrug and go along with it anyway. Case in point: Abbott's so-called "Death Star bill" in Texas where people are dying because they're banned from taking water breaks in triple digit heat. Do people know that they can tell Abbott to gently caress himself and give water breaks anyway? What's he going to do about it, wheel himself somewhere in his little wheelchair and cry about it?

I'll take a small Frosty and a small order of fries, please.

It's because most of the people affected by the law are Mexican. People don't tell Abbott to gently caress himself and give water breaks anyway because they're racist and they don't care. :ssh:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SubNat posted:

It's something a lot of programs do: Instantly execute with the input of a field, every time it updates.
Sometimes that's perfectly fine, if the program is responsive while you do it, sometimes the program will hang for ages because you accidentally slid a slider and now it's going to execute a dozen operations.

(Ex, if you use a filter to search your scene in 3DS Max, it starts a new search for every new letter. Typing in '*screw' will have it search for *, then *s, *sc, *scr, *scre, *screw, and won't progress until the search of the previous has completed. )

So many of these would instantly be improved if they only execute after the input has been stable for like a fraction of a second. The search is going to take like 5-15 sec anyway, so there's no harm in waiting 0.2 sec to start.
It's a really tedious microannoyance in a lot of 3D and etc software.

Mine is the fact that modern computers are sci fi level supercomputers compared to the devices of 30 years ago, yet all those monumental performance gains are totally wasted in layers of libraries and abstractions and this and that, and a Pentium II running some ancient flavor of Windows is more responsive to input than a 24 core 48 thread monstrosity with more RAM than god.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Does Google Docs do something like that, where it saves itself after every letter input? I find that if I'm working with a document of like 300 pages it's useless on Google Docs because there's a delay between every keypress.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Silver Falcon posted:

It's because most of the people affected by the law are Mexican. People don't tell Abbott to gently caress himself and give water breaks anyway because they're racist and they don't care. :ssh:

That tracks with what someone else pointed out: managers think water breaks aren't cost effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
One I've been dealing with more recently than normal: my hearing is a little wonky sometimes so I'll ask someone to either repeat a sentence I missed or the last few words of said sentence.
It is neither helpful nor endearing for you to get huffy that you have to repeat yourself and storm off rather than just repeat a handful of words.
Now I don't know what you said AND I think you're a dick