Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

you cannot teach a techbro history if the VC spigot depends on him willfully ignoring it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Metaverse as a home for wildly impractical architecture seems to make sense. Conceptualizers can erect all of the flowing curved glass monoliths which would be impossible to build in reality and not have to worry about focused reflections lighting passersby on fire or falling misshapen panes shattering on their heads. Now I'm not sure how to monetize this since it has already been done in Second Life probably decades ago but I leave that as an exercise to the reader.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SimonChris posted:

What I don't get is that we saw the exact same kind of hype with Second Life twentyish years ago, complete with big corporations building lavish Second Life headquarters that no one ever used. This wasn't just kids playing video games - major companies got involved, and the mainstream media wrote about how everyone would soon go shopping in Second Life, etc. Surely, some of these people have to remember?

As far as I can tell, the answer is that some of them remember, some of them don't remember, but absolutely none of them care. Most of the people loudly hyping the metaverse don't actually care whether any of this is successful in the long run, they're all just bilking investors for short-term gain one way or another. If someone brings up Second Life, they'll handwave it away with a vague "this time it's different", and that's that. If someone brings up Roblox or any other videogame, they'll start excitedly talking about how these "proto-metaverses" prove that the real metaverse is going to be so incredibly huge.

Is it actually different? The analysts writing these excited reports predicting the metaverse is worth ten trillion dollars don't care, they get paid regardless of whether these predictions actually come true. The journalists writing all these breathlessly excited articles about it don't care, their articles are gonna get plenty of clicks regardless of whether these predictions actually come true. The architects probably don't care either, they're getting free advertising in the press and probably even getting paid a bit by these platforms. Hell, in a lot of cases I doubt the people operating these "metaverses" care - Decentraland may have basically no users, but they still managed to sell thousands of virtual land plots for thousands of dollars each.

The whole thing's a momentary bubble fueled by bored investors willing to drop millions of bucks based on hype and gullible get-rich-quick types willing to drop thousands of bucks based on hype. The people involved in it either know they're selling lies or don't particularly care if they're selling lies; it's not like anyone who matters is going to hold them responsible if the metaverse hype turns out to be bullshit. Just like how no one held them responsible when the NFT hype turned out to be bullshit.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

you cannot teach a techbro history if the VC spigot depends on him willfully ignoring it

Please, he doesn't have time for history. He's busy inventing the first wheel to ever exist! The potential is endless!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Clarste posted:

Video games are for children. A real adult thinks only of speculative finance.

But now we have cryptobros (supposedly adult people) who wants to merge videogames with speculative finance. Their web 3.0 dream is mostly that

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Those people don't actually play video games. Or really understand what a video game is and what it takes to make one.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
A great example of that is gunzilla , a web3 cryptobro game people tried to hype because it uses UE5. No answer to "why do we need crypto microtransactions in a videogame?" but here we are.

Maybe because money laundering founders, but just a guess. Might be just another cryptobro vc. https://www.crunchbase.com/person/vladislav-korolev

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 7, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Dumbasses have this idea of replacing in-game microtransactions with NFT blockchain poo poo because they think that means that they can take their mtx/guns/armor with them over to the next game.

It’s something that takes a few moments of critical thinking skills to realize how dumb this is and how you can’t just drop in leveled up badass gun from shooter franchise x into Japanese rpg franchise y.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Dumbasses have this idea of replacing in-game microtransactions with NFT blockchain poo poo because they think that means that they can take their mtx/guns/armor with them over to the next game.

It’s something that takes a few moments of critical thinking skills to realize how dumb this is and how you can’t just drop in leveled up badass gun from shooter franchise x into Japanese rpg franchise y.

Or...you know...not having microtransactions at all in non F2P games.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

but what if you could

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

feedmyleg posted:

but what if you could

Now that I have completed all the recipes in Stardew Valley, my Doom Eternal game will be unstoppable.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It's important to note, that the people who want that kind of thing are the ones who pay a bunch of real world money on stuff in games to let them just win. Having games actually be fun isn't the point, it's turning games into a way they can show off they have money.

Also trying to make it look not so stupid that there spending money on video game .jpgs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Clarste posted:

Those people don't actually play video games. Or really understand what a video game is and what it takes to make one.

I remember when there was outcry because Chaosium had been collaborating with some kind of NFT farm and reading all the crypto weirdos complaining on Twitter that they don't understand why people playing Call of Cthulhu don't want this weird NFT poo poo associated with their game and having a really hard time understanding people bought books and paraphernalia to play these games with their friends, sometimes even online without NFTs, not for the purpose of gathering valuables or whatever. It's like trying to talk to art collectors about the fun of drawing. Except these are art collectors who never took any classes in art history so they can't even pretend to care about the process.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Officially, the reason Horizon Worlds didn't have legs was because the Quest doesn't have built-in leg-tracking, and Zuck thought that simulating leg position via IK like VRChat does would be too immersion-breaking.

Their solution to the groping problem was to give people the ability to activate a forcefield that blocks others from getting too close to them...which immediately became a new trolling tool, because people figured out pretty quickly that they could block doorways and stuff by doing it.

mmmm I'm not sure why IK (inverse kinematics?) would be immersion-breaking, but im not a toast sim eating bot like Zuck.

Also I was half remembering the force field solution andwas going to make a 40K Table joke, but then didnt. Good job zuck.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

eXXon posted:

The Metaverse as a home for wildly impractical architecture seems to make sense. Conceptualizers can erect all of the flowing curved glass monoliths which would be impossible to build in reality and not have to worry about focused reflections lighting passersby on fire or falling misshapen panes shattering on their heads. Now I'm not sure how to monetize this since it has already been done in Second Life probably decades ago but I leave that as an exercise to the reader.

VRChat already has most of that, in the form of treehouses suspended in abstract LSD space animated by music, weird TRON environments filled with adult sight gags, architecturally impossible houses with underwater views, space train gathering places, etc. Little monetization for the creators beyond the Patreon model of unlocking extra world features for subscribers, but that's seemed to work fine so far and avoids microtransaction nonsense.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I love how punishing bad behavior is impossible in these tech ventures. In any sane world, the solution for creeps groping another person's avatar would be to ban that person from being able to interact with others. But then number go down. So these spaces will always be filled with awful bad actors seeing no consequences for their actions and making the entire venture insufferable to normal people, keeping number from going up.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Many of these games sell people on the idea of being a virtual landlord, renting out that extra vorpal sword +10 you found, playing to earn, etc. They all hinge on the fantasy that you'll be the savvy investor, and that the latecomers, the clueless "normal" players, will be the ones paying into the system and making you rich. And it all falls apart if anyone actually tries to put themselves into the hypothetical normal players shoes. Who the gently caress would see a game where you have to pay a monthly sword bill, in real money, and not immediately uninstall it? Why have they put zero effort into making the game actually fun, in a world where there's an overwhelming amount of free to play competition? They really think people want a second rent to pay?

They're barely disguised scams that appeal to absolutely awful people, so I'm glad they're losing their money.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

feedmyleg posted:

I love how punishing bad behavior is impossible in these tech ventures. In any sane world, the solution for creeps groping another person's avatar would be to ban that person from being able to interact with others. But then number go down. So these spaces will always be filled with awful bad actors seeing no consequences for their actions and making the entire venture insufferable to normal people, keeping number from going up.

"Petition to have someone banned" isn't a scalable solution for the kinds of virtual worlds they want to build. If your goal is to have millions of simultaneous users (let alone tens or hundreds of millions), you need to design systems that prevent as much misbehavior as possible. Any time you need to involve a human judgment call, even for something as straightforward as "yeah they were humping someone, mash the ban button," it introduces enormous - and abusable - latency into the system. Having humans with the banhammer is necessary, but you can't rely on that being The Way Things Get Solved.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ponzicar posted:

Many of these games sell people on the idea of being a virtual landlord, renting out that extra vorpal sword +10 you found, playing to earn, etc. They all hinge on the fantasy that you'll be the savvy investor, and that the latecomers, the clueless "normal" players, will be the ones paying into the system and making you rich. And it all falls apart if anyone actually tries to put themselves into the hypothetical normal players shoes. Who the gently caress would see a game where you have to pay a monthly sword bill, in real money, and not immediately uninstall it? Why have they put zero effort into making the game actually fun, in a world where there's an overwhelming amount of free to play competition? They really think people want a second rent to pay?

They're barely disguised scams that appeal to absolutely awful people, so I'm glad they're losing their money.

I think calling them games without scarequotes is being overly generous here.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ponzicar posted:

But you see, if I pay some whale $69 a month to borrow his Sword of Ultimate Awesome and if I play the game at work on my lunch break and the 8 other hours I’m not at work or sleeping then I can earn up to $420 a month depending on market conditions. And hey if I don’t break even I could always sublet the sword to another person and make it their problem. Worth it.

E: Why no this doesn’t sound like a pyramid scheme at all. You see the NFT Blockchain means this particular sword can only be used by 1 person so it’s not a pyramid it’s a chain. A block chain.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 7, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Please, won’t anyone think of the tech bro execs?

https://www.businessinsider.com/tech-executives-report-heavy-alcohol-drinking-painkillers-substance-use-stress-2023-7

quote:

Many people go into tech wanting to work in a fast-paced, innovative field, and holding a senior position or C-suite title may seem like an enviable position.

But Silicon Valley and the tech industry has hit choppy waters recently, with a long list of layoffs and executives talking about battening down of the hatches amid concerns of an economic downturn.

Meanwhile, recent research suggests that many leaders working in tech are turning to alcohol and substances to cope with the high stress and uncertainty of their jobs.

All Points North, an addiction treatment center in Colorado, published a report examining the findings of a survey conducted by Censuswide among 501 tech executives working in firms with over 1,000 employees. The survey, titled "2023 Mental Health in Tech Report," was taken between April 27, 2023 and May 15, 2023. The results showed high rates of heavy alcohol use or alcohol use disorder, substance use and misuse, and poor mental health among tech executives.

Many tech leaders also reported being worried about the future of their careers — and whether or not they will have a job. Layoffs and the rise of artificial intelligence make some executives feel insecure in their positions, according to the survey. APN's report showed 77% of executives saying that layoffs have negatively impacted their mental health, and 74% worry that improvements in AI will render their positions obsolete.

Along with long-term fears of job loss, some tech executives reported struggling day to day. Long hours and high stress levels cause executives to turn to substance use. 45% of executives surveyed reported using painkillers like Codeine, Oxytocin, and Vicodin, according to the survey. The use of stimulants and sleeping pills is also common, at 34% and 35% respectively, according to the report's findings.

Along with controlled substances, heavy alcohol use was reported by tech executives. Half of APN's respondents self-identified as heavy drinkers, or those that consume between three and seven alcoholic drinks a day. 51% of respondents report smoking cigarettes or nicotine vapes within the last three months.

During the pandemic, CEOs saw high turnover rates due to burnout, Insider reported in July 2022. During the first quarter of 2022, CEO turnover rose to 29%. This high rate has continued into 2023. According to APN's report, 1 in 3 C-suite level tech executives say they are looking for new jobs.

How cute. The tech execs are worried about losing their jobs and turn to drinking and pills, like regular people.

:lol:

:lmao:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Maybe they'd be less stressed if they stopped enacting "return to office" policies and soliciting "news" stories in support of them and learned how to manage better.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I for one look forward to the day when I can be fired entirely by computer control with no human oversight.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kwyndig posted:

I for one look forward to the day when I can be fired entirely by computer control with no human oversight.

That can already happen at Amazon

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Boris Galerkin posted:

How cute. The tech execs are worried about losing their jobs and turn to drinking and pills, like regular people.

I too find great pleasure in reading about mental health issues and addiction among a group of people who haven't done me anything wrong.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/tech-executives-report-heavy-alcohol-drinking-painkillers-substance-use-stress-2023-7

It sucks when workers can see the fragility of their field's job market, especially as automation grows increasingly more common, and turn to the bottle. As a recovering alcoholic, I wouldn't wish that on any person, regardless of their career.

"Crunchbase posted:

In 2023: More than 151,054 workers in U.S.-based tech companies (or tech companies with a large U.S. workforce) have been laid off in mass job cuts, according to a Crunchbase News tally. In 2022: More than 93,000 jobs were slashed from public and private tech companies in the U.S.

"Fortune posted:

On top of that, just four big tech companies—Apple, Microsoft, Alphabet, and Meta Platforms—were able to rake in $255.7 billion in profits in 2022, or roughly 16.4% of the Fortune 500’s total earnings for the year. Apple pulled in $99.8 billion, while Microsoft notched $72.7 billion, and Alphabet and Meta Platforms earned $59.97 billion and $23.2 billion, respectively.

Fortunately, these are leeches. Drink up fuckers

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Doctor Malaver posted:

I too find great pleasure in reading about mental health issues and addiction among a group of people who haven't done me anything wrong.

You're on the internet, they've done you wrong.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doctor Malaver posted:

Oh, have you been living in a cave all these years? Must be nice.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

quote:

Many tech leaders also reported being worried about the future of their careers — and whether or not they will have a job. Layoffs and the rise of artificial intelligence make some executives feel insecure in their positions, according to the survey. APN's report showed 77% of executives saying that layoffs have negatively impacted their mental health, and 74% worry that improvements in AI will render their positions obsolete.

If layoffs were so bad for execs' mental health, maybe they shouldn't have done them?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

Tech execs are a class of people who can literally just quit their job and do literally anything else with their life and never have to worry about things like “how will I feed myself and my family this week” or “can I afford insulin?”

E: I mean ffs a few pages back I posted about how regular senior engineers at FAANGs were getting compensation packages anywhere from 300k to 900k so I can only imagine what an exec takes home.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 7, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Doctor Malaver posted:

These people are dismantling society to ensure their second vacation home and/or yacht are secured. They're amoral parasites.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Kwyndig posted:

I look forward to the sweet release from this meatbag existence when our future AI overlords no longer require us.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hey y'all, just a friendly request: less white noise, more substance in posting please.

It really doesn't have to be much: a logical argument, a source, something.

edit: and if you are feeling brave, the humor exception to the rules always applies, even in this forum.... if the mod who is bothered thinks its funny.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Doctor Malaver posted:

They gently caress thousands of people out of higher pay and lobby against universal healthcare every day. Screw em.

"If they can gently caress 1000 people out of $10,000 each, that's ten million more for them."
- Greg Lippman, "The Big Short"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ponzicar posted:

Axie Infinity straight up had digital serfdom with a bunch of players in 3rd world and developing countries farming like crazy because it had the potential to pay better than regular jobs where they lived.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Vulture capitalists are a blight on humanity and will make the world a better place only on the day they are no longer part of it.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Doctor Malaver posted:

A lot of Elon Musk's behavior indicates he has a lot of anxiety and self-esteem issues. It's really very sad. I hope he has people in his life he can talk to.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

cat botherer posted:

A lot of Elon Musk's behavior indicates he has a lot of anxiety and self-esteem issues. It's really very sad. I hope he has people in his life he can talk to.

He would, except that he keeps driving them away by being an insufferable man child. Fortunately, he now has millions (and shrinking!) of people he can talk at, while they beg him to tweet about their latest scam.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Volmarias posted:

He would, except that he keeps driving them away by being an insufferable man child. Fortunately, he now has millions (and shrinking!) of people he can talk at, while they beg him to tweet about their latest scam.
Social media addiction affects all kinds of people. :(

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

cat botherer posted:

Social media addiction affects all kinds of people. :(

He has a $44b/yr addiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

cat botherer posted:

from what I understand he keeps trying to talk to Benjamin Franklin for life advice, but he's not getting a lot of feedback from the greenbacks.