Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The characters seem fun and Clark literally has a magical girl transformation, off to a good start so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, the first episode is now on YouTube:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CuuZSAm-PaI

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I loved it!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Not for us Canadians

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is interesting that they seem to be adding a fair bit of Electric Blue Superman into the concept.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not for us Canadians

It’s also on Adult Swim’s main website if that works for you (first episode’s free, the second requires a subscription):

https://www.adultswim.com

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, the first episode is now on YouTube:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CuuZSAm-PaI

Man, I was immediately charmed from the first Clark/Lois interaction.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This is the same studio that did Korra, isn't it?

Show is cute, but you can tell where they cut corners in the animation. Also somewhat disappointed that the origin for Livewire doesn't include her being a shock jock anymore. :colbert:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Is that even topical anymore? Like Howard Stern is still around but he's nowhere near as big a deal.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

This is the same studio that did Korra, isn't it?

Show is cute, but you can tell where they cut corners in the animation.

Yes, Studio Mir! After the horrible and honestly completely excessive overwork they experienced during making Korra, they actually have policies in place to prevent that sort of thing. This means more limited animation and more CGI, etc. This is also why Voltron wasn't as pretty and smooth as Korra was. The animation does its job, and if slightly worse animation means better working conditions for the animators, that's fine by me.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I really wanted to like Voltron. My big complaint is that it didn't feel like it had a good musical theme.
I don't think they could've used the original one but the lack of anything resembling a good motif bugged me.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The bullshit that was everything once they got to Earth ruined the series for me entirely

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I didn’t completely hate it to be honest but Netflix Voltron had a lot of problems, yeah

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nodosaur posted:

Is that even topical anymore? Like Howard Stern is still around but he's nowhere near as big a deal.

They work for a print newspaper.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They work for a print newspaper.

yeah but that still has pop culture purchase because of the superman mythos

literally who talks about shock jocks in 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Nodosaur posted:

yeah but that still has pop culture purchase because of the superman mythos

I mean you could modernize her easily by making her Alex Jones.

Shocking and electrifying in another way

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

that's true

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

bunnyofdoom posted:

J. Jonah Jameson in the Home Spider-Man movies is pretty much this.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Nodosaur posted:

People won't shut up about Joe Rogan.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I don't think it's Studio MIR? Credits only say Warner Brothers Animation, and Studio MIR itself doesn't mention it on their portfolio (most recent thing on their sites is star wars vision season 2) or on their twitter.

Show's great, tho. I like this really clear vision of Superman trying to learn who he is in an abstract, and also literal with the alien stuff, level.

I feel like this will shape Deathstroke as profoundly as the Teen Titans cartoon did

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

J. Jonah Jameson in the Home Spider-Man movies is pretty much this.

Also JJJ in the Spider-Man video games.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

they said they're leaning away from that in spider-man 2

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

MorningMoon posted:

I don't think it's Studio MIR? Credits only say Warner Brothers Animation, and Studio MIR itself doesn't mention it on their portfolio (most recent thing on their sites is star wars vision season 2) or on their twitter.

Show's great, tho. I like this really clear vision of Superman trying to learn who he is in an abstract, and also literal with the alien stuff, level.

I feel like this will shape Deathstroke as profoundly as the Teen Titans cartoon did

If it isn't studio Mir, they've got their style to a T

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Alternately they could make her into some kind of streaming influencer.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm gonna say it, Livewire in TAS is only memorable or notable because of her voice-actress. I never saw Tank Girl, I hear it's terrible, but that lady had an incredible voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZAiyQDYQUE

I hope new Livewire has a comparably great voice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I swear to god, if I managed to get home in time to see an episode of Superman, it was 75% of the time the Livewire episode and 25% the Mr. Mxyzpltk one. If I got home to catch the end, it was the Darkseid one where he kills Turpin at the end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm gonna say it, Livewire in TAS is only memorable or notable because of her voice-actress. I never saw Tank Girl, I hear it's terrible, but that lady had an incredible voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZAiyQDYQUE

I hope new Livewire has a comparably great voice.

Tank Girl is great but also shouldn't be the only thing Lori Petty is remembered for, she's a national treasure. She's in Point Break for gently caress's sake.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

I swear to god, if I managed to get home in time to see an episode of Superman, it was 75% of the time the Livewire episode and 25% the Mr. Mxyzpltk one. If I got home to catch the end, it was the Darkseid one where he kills Turpin at the end.

I usually got the Lobo episode. (First one, not the second.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

There are two Livewire episodes and two Mxyzpltk episodes. The second of each are pseudo team ups, co-starring Parasite and Bizarro respectively.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
R.I.P. Gilbert Gottfried. I will always read Mxyzpltk in his voice.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Livewire was the most successful invention of the Superman animated series, but I think the series in general was a lot less influential than Batman Animated. It didn't really create the definitive versions of characters in the same way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Livewire was the most successful invention of the Superman animated series, but I think the series in general was a lot less influential than Batman Animated. It didn't really create the definitive versions of characters in the same way.

Actually I forget, aside from Livewire did STAS really have any other lasting effect on the main DC universe (since much like Harley Quinn the former was eventually added to the comics/other media and became an at least somewhat reoccurring member of Superman’s rogues gallery)?

Edit: Oh yeah, it introduced Mercy Graves too

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 8, 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

SlothfulCobra posted:

Argue Mercy Graves more soshe debuted in STAS too

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, it is kind of interesting/refreshing that the show doesn’t even bother going into the origin story (or at least, not fully) and instead just more or less gets right into the thick of it.

Also not only do Lois and Jimmy look like adult versions of Luz and Gus from The Owl House but they sort of act like them as well (I would not be surprised if Clark’s identity gets revealed to them sooner rather than later), though the former has some shades of SPoP Adora as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 8, 2023

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Larryb posted:

Actually I forget, aside from Livewire did STAS really have any other lasting effect on the main DC universe (since much like Harley Quinn the former was eventually added to the comics/other media and became an at least somewhat reoccurring member of Superman’s rogues gallery)?

I agree with Grant Morrison that it has the definitive Brainiac.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Oh, I'm blind, studio mir is in the credits.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

A very minor detail is that Lois Lane's character design in STAS gave her purple eyes, a feature that carried over to the comics and sticks to this day.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
STAS also introduced the creepy masked/toyetic version of Toyman.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
It has my favorite version of Metallo as well, with the torn up human face.

Every time he's shown up after that he's usually just a jacked up robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arguably the best version of Lex as well. People love that questionably tanned / mixed-race? Clancy Brown take on him.