Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I got two points as mine lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I got three :)

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
12, bitches!

But yeah, play pass already has a free trial it's constantly offering, so getting that instead of a few pennies worth of points is actually worse!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

That points thing I don't believe is available in :canada:

Or it is, and I'm just blind, even though I followed the pretty basic instructions from the post explaining it to me. I know my way around the Play store; that option just isn't there.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I thought I hosed up and accidentally subscribed to Play Pass. But it wasn't the prize thing, but no. My overpriced Verizon plan just decided to include it when I wasn't looking.

Somebody is pushing this stupid thing hard.

But if it ends up with more real games and less mobile f2p bullshit, great.

Mighty Doom is just a fairly polished Archero clone. Same stupid f2p ad driven nonsense.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I had Play Pass for a year and essentially broke even with just one Layton game, and then got about 20 bucks of extra value with a handful of premium games. Play Pass is mostly your usual f2p fare with no ads and older premium games that if you play games on your phone regularly there's a high chance you've already played. Not going to renew it, but definitely was worth it for one year.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Gonna recommend Stone Story: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.MartianRexInc.StoneStory

It's a neat little game with some surprisingly expressive ASCII art, similar to Candy Box or A Dark Room, with fewer idle elements. I'm enjoying finding more mechanics to unlock and stuff to find out. And there are microtransactions, but so far they seem limited to some slightly stronger loot and items, and nothing more.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Item is not available in my country :(

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Dungeons of Dreadrock is free on Playpass. Super cute little puzzle game.

There's 100 levels, and it does some weird tricky things with teleporters and going between floors.

It's nothing super innovative, but it's well put together and even has hints built in. The only caveat is that some floors require pretty tight timing. 10/10 if that doesn't bug you.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Any of the dawncaster expansions with the $5?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Forever_Peace posted:

Any of the dawncaster expansions with the $5?

It's all just more zones and enemies so it does add some variety, the first zone in Tribes of Twilight has some annoying enemies so I usually skip that one but they let you either randomize zones or pick when you transition to a new one so you can pick which levels you do. I thought it was worth it to add some variety after I played a bunch.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

explosivo posted:

It's all just more zones and enemies so it does add some variety, the first zone in Tribes of Twilight has some annoying enemies so I usually skip that one but they let you either randomize zones or pick when you transition to a new one so you can pick which levels you do. I thought it was worth it to add some variety after I played a bunch.

Do the new cards make finding appropriate ones for specific archetypes more difficult, or do most archetypes get support so there isn't much dilution?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Forever_Peace posted:

Do the new cards make finding appropriate ones for specific archetypes more difficult, or do most archetypes get support so there isn't much dilution?

It's been a while since I played it last but iirc it doesn't add new cards for your deck, just new enemy types with new cards of their own to go along with the new zones.

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
Dawncaster - I like the Death of Divinity expansion just for choosing the graveyard over the default starting area. Grave robbing can potentially net you a few legendary items (Time is Money, Rune of Persistence, etc..) early at the cost of making the zone harder.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
They're all worth the buy IMO, great game and deserves the support. Having said that, the bulk of new cards are added for free, the expansions are just zones and enemies. But they're all interesting and change up the game in interesting ways (except Grove of the Dying Star, gently caress that place).

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

The Grove is actually great... for hatchet hunter.

Everyone else should avoid it.

Silius
Apr 24, 2010
Page is up to let you know when it's out!

Luck be a Landlord

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

WaltherFeng posted:

Anyone played Shovel Knight Puzzle Dungeon game?

I saw it on Netflix games and I was wondering if its worth it to put some time into it.

I've sank some time into this and it's good. I would call it a cross between a roguelike and Mr. Driller. It gets interesting once you unlock some characters and find a play style that clicks with you.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Silius posted:

Luck be a Landlord

This game is wonderful and I highly recommend it (as long as the phone port is good)

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Silius posted:

Luck be a Landlord

Thanks for the heads up, looks interesting.

I've been enjoying the point and click Thimbleweed Park so far. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.terribletoybox.thimbleweedparkandroid

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Luck be a Landlord is fun, as was doing this to it

https://twitter.com/Nighthand/status/1418314076963446785?t=wmHB07xWbMESRXsW10pJLA&s=19

Pretty sure it's had numerous major patches since but you can always do wacky things with the right build.

Silius
Apr 24, 2010
It's a ton of fun. I've had it on my steam deck but was waiting patiently for the mobile version since I think it would be way better for pick up and play sessions. I tried some knock offs but they were kinda soulless. I am very excited for the official version! For the people that haven't played it, you are in for a treat!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been holding off on Luck be a Landlord specifically because it looked like it'd be perfect for mobile, glad to see they're making it happen!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Its an older game so this is probably old news but I bought Bloons TD6 on android the other day and I've been completely lost in the sauce of popping balloons. It's a deceptively deep game and works perfectly for mobile play, especially if you have a stylus. The biggest issue I have is that I'll play on fast forward which means when something goes badly I don't react in time with abilities and I end up getting slammed with 50 camo balloons that didn't get caught into the decloak trap.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

I still go back to BTD6 every once in a while.

There's a ton of different ways to solve the same problem, and some absolutely ridiculous endgame bullshit if you wanna get super deep into it.

You can do some absolute nonsense with stacking banks and then sacrificing a bunch of stuff to the sun god temple.

But mostly, I just go poke at the daily challenges. They require you to use different strategies than normal, or go straight to 'very specific puzzle solution'.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have been addicted to Dream Park Story recently because I saw it was coming out on steam and it turns out it's been on android for like 3 years now so I picked it up there, the game's not particularly deep compared to some of the other Ksoft games i've played and I kind of hate the zones mechanic but drat if it isn't fun to watch a bustling amusement park once you're up and running.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a reasonably good singleplayer 4X game?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

All I know of are Unciv, a free Civ 5 clone; Civilization Revolutions 2 which is a simplified game, kinda closer to the original Civ 1.

I mostly play Polytopia which is extremely simplified and mostly tactical combat. There are building+tech tree mechanics. It's free to play and you spend a few bucks to add more factions to the game beyond the default four.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Polytopia seems neat.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a reasonably good singleplayer 4X game?

A Planet of Mine is a lot of fun, pretty interesting mechanics. Has a focus on resourve chains (cut wood to make paper to make books to send to the museum to generate knowledge, etc)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

A Planet of Mine is a lot of fun, pretty interesting mechanics. Has a focus on resourve chains (cut wood to make paper to make books to send to the museum to generate knowledge, etc)

I like the idea, it's the kind of thing I'd really like to play but the interface is absolutely horrible.

The planet constantly spinning gets very annoying and you can't even see what a bunch of buildings even do. Mines and wells just say "produces different resources depending on terrain." and that's it.
Tutorial is absolutely nonexistent too.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Jack Trades posted:

Polytopia seems neat.

It's an absolutely incredible game. Highly, highly recommended.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

uXs posted:

It's an absolutely incredible game. Highly, highly recommended.

I tried this and it's an interesting game. The 30 turn limit makes for more of a puzzle game than typical 4x games would play, and you have to pick where you go for the tech tree. Overall it's pretty neat, good recommendation all.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You can play without the turn limit too of course. There's a lot going on, but yeah ... I was going to mention how the stripped down simplicity makes it more of a puzzle but realistically all 4X games are puzzles when you distill their mechanics.

The other factions go on sale pretty often.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Does anyone remember the old game "greedcorp"? It was a hex based tile game where you are competing for resources that disappeared (along with the tiles they were on) after a few turns of mining them. It had a lot of charm and I can't find it anymore, but if someone can come up with a way to play it again I would lose my poo poo.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Does anyone remember the old game "greedcorp"? It was a hex based tile game where you are competing for resources that disappeared (along with the tiles they were on) after a few turns of mining them. It had a lot of charm and I can't find it anymore, but if someone can come up with a way to play it again I would lose my poo poo.

It's on steam, but seems to be gone from mobile stores.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I had a neuron fire and I remembered that Greed Corp was a game offered on Humble Bundle many years ago.

I checked, and yes there it is still there available for download and sideloading.

Edit: Okay, slight change to that. The download link is a zip file with a regular directory that I have no idea how to get it to install or run

Edit of the Edit: the TORRENT file that humble bundle also gives you goes to an APK. However the game says it's only for an older version of Android and it crashes when trying to start.

There's are also 10 seeders of that file still.

Tsietisin fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 7, 2023

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Are there any decent SHMUPS for android that aren't ad riddled or have somewhat meaningful progression? Was looking at Wing Fighter but supposedly hits a paywall at LVL 4.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Blast Rush is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Was Greed Corp on XBLA? I feel like I played it there. But goddamn, that's a game that I had completely forgotten about.