Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FueledBySatan posted:

ROTLD 3 was the first one I saw and is still my favorite. Man, I always forget how wild Brian Yuzna's filmography is. Society to Honey I Shrunk the Kids to ROTLD 3 to, another one of my childhood favorites, The Dentist.

I remember not being into The Dentist when it came out but I really need to give it another chance.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
To be fair he only has a story credit on Honey I Shrunk the Kids.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As I recall Stuart Gordon and Yuzna brought the film to Disney and Gordon was set to direct and Yuzna produce. But Gordon dropped out and Joe Johnston was hired and it’s hard to imagine they would have made the same film. Obviously the movie is a throwback to B sci fi/horror like the Incredible Shrinking Man and it sounds like Gordon/Yuzna were always planning a Disney kids film and not some kind of typical thing from them. But still. You gotta think things would have felt a bit different.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That ant would've looked more horrific.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

It's me, the dummy still excited for these schlocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF-oyCwaArU

The Nun 2: Back in the Habit

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i only remember the nun because they had a jumpscare ad or something

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The nah

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don’t if it’s been discussed ITT, but episode 4 of the new season of Black Mirror is some decent horror.

If you haven’t watched, don’t read anything about it, don’t look at the episode description, just go into it cold if at all possible.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Black Mirror has like a 10% hit rate for me but the episode from a few years ago with the robot dogs was sick, very good robo horror

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ll also add, go into episode 5 the same way (unspoiled)

It’s some pretty good retro-style horror-comedy.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

This makes me feel glad. I saw 15 things for Sundance this year and this was one of 3 I didn't like, and it wasn't even burnout that had me not feeling it, it was the second film I'd watched at that point

Sarah Snook's a great actress for sure but man, I end up hating horror films with her in them. Winchester, Jessabelle, and now this. Predestination is the only other one she's been in I haven't seen and I'm kinda afraid to now

I had some mild interest in Run Rabbit Run just for her, but it's growing milder with each tepid review. So I can't speak to any of those horror films, but I did watch Predestination earlier in the week. It's different than I expected given the schlock premise (a time traveling temporal agent hops around the timelines to catch killers before they commit their crimes). It's really all about the characterization and the time travel paradoxes. I didn't realize it was based on a Heinlein story. That being said, Snook is definitely the reason to watch it. Ethan Hawke has top billing, but it feels like she has as much if not more screen time and really anchors the movie.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Crescent Wrench posted:

I had some mild interest in Run Rabbit Run just for her, but it's growing milder with each tepid review. So I can't speak to any of those horror films, but I did watch Predestination earlier in the week. It's different than I expected given the schlock premise (a time traveling temporal agent hops around the timelines to catch killers before they commit their crimes). It's really all about the characterization and the time travel paradoxes. I didn't realize it was based on a Heinlein story. That being said, Snook is definitely the reason to watch it. Ethan Hawke has top billing, but it feels like she has as much if not more screen time and really anchors the movie.

I watched Rabbit a couple nights ago and it was just boring, tropey bland safe horror. I think they were going for a shock ending but it couldn't have been telegraphed larger if there was a blimp flying around with the ending spelled out

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Medullah posted:

I watched Rabbit a couple nights ago

Reminded me that we just watched Night of the Lepus. It's a bad movie, but it's just so cute.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Medullah posted:

I think they were going for a shock ending but it couldn't have been telegraphed larger if there was a blimp flying around with the ending spelled out

Hahaha, I had the exact same thought. The SHOCKING TWIST wasn't so much a twist as, 'Uhh, yeah, that's what the plot was saying, yep'. Absolutely shameful.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Reminded me that we just watched Night of the Lepus. It's a bad movie, but it's just so cute.

Night of the Lepus is so sick.

I watched Frogs for the fourth of July and you could’ve knocked me over with a feather when I realized the vacant hunky protagonist was Sam Elliott.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I feel like Silver Bullet is a July 4th movie. Maybe I'm misremembering but I think the fireworks are for July 4th.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

breezed on into The Girl Next Door on a casual thursday night. don't make my mistake, that movie was absolutely hosed up

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

alf_pogs posted:

breezed on into The Girl Next Door on a casual thursday night. don't make my mistake, that movie was absolutely hosed up

LMAO owned

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

alf_pogs posted:

timothy olyphant is scary

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

seriously hahaha i was lolling at myself about two-thirds through because of how badly poo poo had escalated.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just imagining the mix up at a video store of The Girl Next Door.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Black Mirror has like a 10% hit rate for me but the episode from a few years ago with the robot dogs was sick, very good robo horror

Playtest is probably the most explicitly horror episode they've done, but Metalhead is a better ep. Black Museum is fairly spooky throughout.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I feel like Silver Bullet is a July 4th movie. Maybe I'm misremembering but I think the fireworks are for July 4th.

The novella is structured where each chapter is a month so it covers a whole year. I don't remember how the movie handles that exactly but yea the firecrackers scene takes place around July 4th.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

God, if only this post was one month in the future so it had a chance for being thread title.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

This, but for Found.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t know what the other movie is so it’s funnier to me that y’all getting spooked by the Elisha Cuthbert sex comedy

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t know what the other movie is so it’s funnier to me that y’all getting spooked by the Elisha Cuthbert sex comedy

The movie is honestly kind of mid but the Ketch novel on which it's based is a Certified Hood Classic, just a real bad time

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It would be a lot more enjoyable if it weren't based on a true story

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, relating the story of how a teenaged girl was beaten, tortured, and murdered horribly isn't exactly fun stuff.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I watched Unwelcome yesterday. Liked it quite a bit. Colm Meaney is great, only complaint is the husband is just too useless/pathetic, it stops being funny and starts being like "I'm ok if he just gets killed" at some point in the bedroom scene.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Insidious: The Red Door is as dumb as you'd expect, be that a pro or con.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Thank you, now I'm excited for it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

:hellyeah:

Now the real question: do I see it tonight, or push it off for 2 weeks when I was already doing Barbie and Oppenheimer, and make a quintuple feature/all-day thing of those and Mission Impossible :thunk:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have definitely seen all the Insidious movies but I absolutely could not tell you anything about 2 or 3. Also most of what I do remember I'm pretty sure is blended up with the Conjuring movies

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Alan Smithee posted:

just saw The Blackening. Was a strong premise but kinda fizzled

can someone explain the iphone vs android thing that kept getting brought up? I didn't think it was a culture war talking point (outside of rich vs poor)
Replying to this from the last thread. I just watched The Blackening and I have a thought on this one. I glanced over a couple pages and didn't see anyone mention this so I figured I'd bring it up again.

After Knives Out was released there was a big whatever about Apple not allowing the villains to use iPhones. If you knew that going in to the movie then you'd immediately be spoiled on who the killer was going to be. So in the beginning of this movie they hang a giant loving lampshade on CLIFTON IS THE ONLY ANDROID USER IN THE HOUSE HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT CLIFTON HE USES ANDROID.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I had no idea that Patrick Wilson was directing this.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

I have definitely seen all the Insidious movies but I absolutely could not tell you anything about 2 or 3. Also most of what I do remember I'm pretty sure is blended up with the Conjuring movies

That's my problem too. I have 2 Insidious movies and 3 Conjuring movies all mixed up in my head in one big Patrick Wilson stew and I can't remember which is which.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Somehow I'm only figuring out now despite having seen loving all of both series that Patrick Wilson is the main dude in both of them

In my defense, for Insidious I could pretty much give no more than half a crap about the dad, I'm here for Lin Shaye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't think he was in the other Insidious movies at least. 2 was Dermot Mulroney or one of those guys and I'm pretty sure 3 was the Lin Shaye send off