Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

It isn't about him running out of gas, he doesn't have good enough stuff for multiple trips through the order anymore

You can’t look at his numbers from last season and say that’s a guy who doesn’t have good stuff…. Unless he lost it over the off-season which I have a hard time buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

whoa Carlos rodon... is BACK tonight

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can't really blame it on the cubs, there Is no way a guy named Rizzo doesn't play for the New York Yankees

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I have developed another plank in my Bawfuls for Commissioner platform:

If you’ve accumulated at least 60 WAR by age 35, you get to take as many steroids as you want.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Chicago Cubs have apparently literally never won a game in any incarnation of Yankee stadium.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Chicago Cubs have apparently literally never won a game in any incarnation of Yankee stadium.

Not tough enough for The Big Apple, well except for Nicky Two Strike but he's on the IL so...

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm pretty sure the Twins never have either.

:supaburn:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

I'm pretty sure the Twins never have either.

:supaburn:

your First Place Minnesota Twins split a four game series there earlier this year en route to winning the season series against the Yankees and, later, the Astros

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Marlins optioned Eury Perez. He's an ace but he just turned 20 and has already blown past his career high in IP. Gonna be interesting to see how they manage his innings.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm most shocked that none of the Cubs @ Yankees games were picked up by Fox/Apple TV/Peacock/ESPN, I mean I'm happy about it but also surprised.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Yanks reek of bad vibes so I’m expecting a three game sweep

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Carlosologist posted:

The Yanks reek of bad vibes so I’m expecting a three game sweep

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Can't wait to hear about how bad the Yankees are as they sweep the Cubs

you cant out cubspost us

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Rizzo has been unimtigated dogshit since like April 27th.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

The Cubs have gimmicks this year of both being destroyed by their former players and also helping opposing bad players snap their funks, so expect Rizzo to go 12-12 with 7 HR's.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

But his winning smile produces more for Cubs fans than all of their attempts to replace him has

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rizzo should have retired as a cub, if Kevin Alcantara isn't a HoF I'll never forgive them.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Why is going to a team that has sucked for 20 years a reward?

Sorry you guys got BTFOd in the bandbox last night. You'll be seeing a lot more of that this decade.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

Sorry you guys got BTFOd in the bandbox last night. You'll be seeing a lot more of that this decade.

Because the Yankees and Orioles split a series in July that Judge didn't play in, I should give up on the next decade? Cool

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Marlins optioned Eury Perez. He's an ace but he just turned 20 and has already blown past his career high in IP. Gonna be interesting to see how they manage his innings.
They aren’t shutting him down, he’s still gonna throw in the minors.

They could just keep him on the MLB roster and use him less but that wouldn’t game his service time soooooo

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the 1b issues are 100% the result of the Cubs FO and Ross not giving the people what they want, that's right, total and non-stop Merversion

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

The Pussy Boss posted:

Yea this sucks they're just manipulating service time

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

He's still got 25 IP to even pass his career high that's hardly blowing past it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Seems nearly impossible for teams to lose a service time manipulation grievance at this point, as evidenced by the fact they put a “please don’t do service time manipulation” carrot in the latest CBA

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 7, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Seems nearly impossible for teams to lose a service time manipulation grievance at this point

IIRC what came out of the Bryant grievance is that the only way the player could win is if they were able to produce a direct admission from decision makers within the organization that moves were made expressly to manipulate service time. So unless there's an email or text or verifiable audio recording out there somewhere of a Marlins FO person being stupid enough to directly say something to the effect of "We could move Perez to the pen but if we stash him back in AAA for a bit we'll get another year of control so let's do that" then there's no hope of winning any kind of grievance.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Just like the SCOTUS interpretation of political corruption, it only counts if someone says “yes we are doing crimes now”

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Mariners did something similar with Kirby last year, option and have them throw a short start in AAA on their regular day, then reset the rotation post ASB and bring them back up to slot in at 5

Dunno if that's what the Marlins are doing.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

He's still got 25 IP to even pass his career high that's hardly blowing past it

He pitched in AA for a month before getting called up.

I don't think this is service time shenanigans. He's a physical freak who throws super hard and they want to save him for the stretch and playoffs.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

Just like the SCOTUS interpretation of political corruption, it only counts if someone says “yes we are doing crimes now”

Don't save crimes.xls to a work drive

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Whatever happened to that Mariners FO guy who told a local business club that they were keeping Kelenic down for service time manipulation (I think it was pretty explicit) and the guy ended up getting fired?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Popete posted:

Whatever happened to that Mariners FO guy who told a local business club that they were keeping Kelenic down for service time manipulation (I think it was pretty explicit) and the guy ended up getting fired?

still a minority owner in the team but is out of operations.

probably hangs out around Rotary clubs all around the PNW making weird remarks about how he could have done it all.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It sucks that it's going to cost him money but slowing down a 20-year-old pitcher who's already seven innings past his career high before the All-Star break is reasonable.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Pussy Boss posted:

I don't think this is service time shenanigans. He's a physical freak who throws super hard and they want to save him for the stretch and playoffs.

They could just phantom IL him for a month or whatever

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

It’d be one thing if they were shutting him down but they’re not, he’s still going to pitch in the minors. He could throw the same innings at the major league level.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

hilarious that Kelenic hit so bad they still got away with that one despite the comical admission

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

It sucks that it's going to cost him money but slowing down a 20-year-old pitcher who's already seven innings past his career high before the All-Star break is reasonable.

Could've just as easily slowed him down by moving him to the pen which still lets the Marlins benefit from their high impact pitching prospect and doesn't halt his service clock. It's not like he's being shut down: he's just going to get starts in AAA on a stricter IP/pitch limit.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

bawfuls posted:

It’d be one thing if they were shutting him down but they’re not, he’s still going to pitch in the minors. He could throw the same innings at the major league level.

They can really inning limit him in the minors and just have him throw 4 or 5 max per start. That would be disruptive if he in the majors.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

They can really inning limit him in the minors and just have him throw 4 or 5 max per start. That would be disruptive if he in the majors.

Plus, if they move him to the pen in the majors, he's either in the pen for the rest of the year or he has to go down later to stretch back out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

I missed that my bad

But yeah I don't think shenanigans either

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I’m glad Rodon is here but it’s so weird seeing someone who’s not Matsui wearing 55

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Well Played Mauer posted:

I’m glad Rodon is here but it’s so weird seeing someone who’s not Matsui wearing 55

The last game I went to at the Metrodome was against the Yankees and every time Matsui came up to bat, a group of 8-10 Japanese fans got up and held their saigns and yelled MATSUUUUIIIII for his entire time on the field. The Twins ended up winning, but that was by far the best memory of the game.

That is my Hideki Matsui story.