Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I was kind of expecting the 2nd half to be like, another 50% of a zone going through the underground, not a extra 5% in a linear tunnel using the least fun to control mount that rides like it's on ice physics.

I think the plans changed for Gyala part 2 early on when the map name placement shifted from being halfway off the map near the unrevealed part to being more centralized before part 2 came out, getting "anet got bored and worked on a new expansion and abandoned the area" vibes like icebrood saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
It's also weird, because the signalling for using the turtle during the tunnel is at odds with the final battle where using the turtle (except for collecting energy) is extremely counterproductive.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

At least the map meta has chests, the story had nothing. Or did I miss something? Edit: Seems like the map meta version is where all the loot is lol.

Tambaloneus fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 7, 2023

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

like all the rewards in story quest instances are backloaded into quest completion if they exist at all, nothing ever drops the big fancy chests the map metas do or anything

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think I'm part to blame for that, on release the first story quest in the cursed shore immediately sent several hundred swarms of undead to attack you for 5 minutes, I immediately thought "... what if I just didn't finish this story step and repeated it with a farm group" and made crazy gold from that, next big patch they made it so loot didn't drop inside story instances anymore.

My bad.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

anyone have strong opinions about open world ranger builds? I haven't updated my condi sb in like a year and I feel like playing it, but the metabattle builds are all like a year out of date

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

blatman posted:

anyone have strong opinions about open world ranger builds? I haven't updated my condi sb in like a year and I feel like playing it, but the metabattle builds are all like a year out of date

Hizen just put out some updated builds if soloing champs is your kind of open world build, has both a SB and Untamed build. I haven't watched it, so no opinions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCkA5isFwfk

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Dunno if/how the recent patch changed it, but core power Ranger was my preference for casual open world stuff like story missions and map exploration. Use pets with some CC and/or high damage and go to town. Set the pet skills to auto attack for extra lazIness. Longbow, GS, and double axes are all good, so pick whichever sets feel most comfy.

You won’t solo legendaries with it, but that’s what a commander tag is for anyway

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

blatman posted:

the condi druid build is pretty good in open world and really close to a core ranger playstyle. i call it "root n' shootin"

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 7, 2023

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ty yall i will explore all of those options

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think I'm part to blame for that, on release the first story quest in the cursed shore immediately sent several hundred swarms of undead to attack you for 5 minutes, I immediately thought "... what if I just didn't finish this story step and repeated it with a farm group" and made crazy gold from that, next big patch they made it so loot didn't drop inside story instances anymore.

My bad.

*points* YOUUUUU!!!

actually I used to do the same so uh I'll go find a mirror to yell at next :D I still think they could bump up the reward on that last demon battle in the story (the one before you go on a very awkward date) at least, even if it was one per whatever bc it was pretty weirdly miserly, even by gw2 loot standards. Then again I guess if they want ppl to go farm during the group meta instead I sort of get it but I think on alts I'm just going to skip right to the date and try out the other options.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

blatman posted:

ty yall i will explore all of those options

It's not optimal anymore, but I love power soulbeast greatsword for the satisfying clonks of the 2-5-2 attack chain.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

blatman posted:

if you don't have easy access to celestial gear, hizen's builds are pretty overkill for OW. condi druid is pretty cool these days since they un-nerfed the pet + the damage bonuses you now get + not needing to flank defiant foes anymore, and if you prefer power then untamed is pretty easy and goes well w/ berseker gear.

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Soulbeast_-_Power_Soulbeast just take something like this, swap out the soulbeast tree for untamed w/ blinding outburst, enhancing impact or cleansing unleash (if you bring cc or not), and ferocious symbiosis. and swap out sic em' and moa stance for explosive spores and protect me.

in a month, hammer soulbeast will be tremendously strong if you can vibe without a pet, though that's subject to change and might get nerfed before hand.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
drat did they really nerf solo daredevil

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
At end of dragons launch they reduced self sustain abilities across the board by like 70%-90%. If you mean something other than invigorating precision, then I don't know.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

gnoma posted:

At end of dragons launch they reduced self sustain abilities across the board by like 70%-90%. If you mean something other than invigorating precision, then I don't know.

the great part is that this only hurt people who needed that sustain, which comprises the majority of the game's audience

the company literally cannot stop shooting themselves in the foot

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

where the red fern gropes posted:

New thread title?

Also, have y'all read the official GW2 forums? It's such a mixture of strong emotions, great ideas, detailed player feedback, data/logs being posted, etc - and Anet responds to basically none of it. lol

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the chrono changes from the patch were low-key enough not many people noticed but chrono feels really good now. if i want to switch from quickness to alac i can just change up one trait and can freely change my utilities between wells and whatever else i need instead of being all but stuck with wells

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

the great part is that this only hurt people who needed that sustain, which comprises the majority of the game's audience

In fairness, how are you supposed to balance around the majority of players, who can't even manage to stand near an enemy and reliably auto-attack it?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

I just learned they apparently nerfed the turtle? I don't even think they're intentionally shooting that foot. I think they typed "Balance all the things!" into chatgpt and that's what we got. Just some weird random assortment of changes that create issues that didn't need to be solved.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Reaper stays winning for PvE survivability :smug:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mailer posted:

I just learned they apparently nerfed the turtle? I don't even think they're intentionally shooting that foot. I think they typed "Balance all the things!" into chatgpt and that's what we got. Just some weird random assortment of changes that create issues that didn't need to be solved.

MightyTeapot may be a bit responsible for heal scourge getting nerfed into oblivion, he'd been singing the praises of how broken the class was for months (if not years). The devs are friendly with him and frequent his chat, so he definitely has their ear. It became a trademark build of his, and for good reason - it was ridiculously powerful.

Similarly, the devs are probably watching Lord Hizen's content, since he routinely breaks the game. The amount of solo PvE content he cleared as Mirage was hilarious and busted. He made a video about stomping everything with the siege turtle, too. Actually a lot of his builds are still viable, he always finds a way to break something, and we love him for it.

I can't explain many of the other changes. Rangers are still furious about the Alac Heal Druid changes, and I'm no exception, but we're so close to July 17th - I want to see how things play out after the patch. It is not an exaggeration to say that I'm one of (maybe) a handful of heal Druids I've still seen in public games. Folks are abandoning ship and playing Healbrand, Heal Mechanist, or Condi Druid instead.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

the chrono changes from the patch were low-key enough not many people noticed but chrono feels really good now. if i want to switch from quickness to alac i can just change up one trait and can freely change my utilities between wells and whatever else i need instead of being all but stuck with wells

It's been really easy to blast out a whole ton of quickness as a chrono now. It's sad to give up the shield, but I can basically maintain quickness with no boon duration and follow a mostly-dps style of play.

Jedah posted:

I can't explain many of the other changes. Rangers are still furious about the Alac Heal Druid changes, and I'm no exception, but we're so close to July 17th - I want to see how things play out after the patch. It is not an exaggeration to say that I'm one of (maybe) a handful of heal Druids I've still seen in public games. Folks are abandoning ship and playing Healbrand, Heal Mechanist, or Condi Druid instead.

I've been running heal druid in fractals/raids and honestly it hasn't been as earth-shattering as I thought it would be. It's definitely more effort to maintain alacrity and you're unable to do so out of combat, but for the most part it hasn't changed how I play. There's some definite issues (having to spam CA and pet skills/swaps to maintain boons means they might be on cooldown when you need them), but it's not as unusable as people say. The 33% increase in base alacrity will help, but I think they'll have to do something more to make it attractive.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The thing I'm going to be paying attention to with the new expansion is whether Anet continues their trend of getting distracted and abandoning it halfway, Icebrood saga ending with Champions and now EoD with Gyala being the singular underwhelming new map after a year doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Actuarial Fables posted:

I've been running heal druid in fractals/raids and honestly it hasn't been as earth-shattering as I thought it would be. It's definitely more effort to maintain alacrity and you're unable to do so out of combat, but for the most part it hasn't changed how I play. There's some definite issues (having to spam CA and pet skills/swaps to maintain boons means they might be on cooldown when you need them), but it's not as unusable as people say. The 33% increase in base alacrity will help, but I think they'll have to do something more to make it attractive.

Nice, that's genuinely awesome to hear. Outside of raids, it seems like Druid was such an underplayed class for the longest time, maybe that's why we got Condi Druid to attract new folks.

I'm using this Snow Crows build since it was recently updated.

Been practicing their CA form rotation a lot, using the same gear, infusions, etc. To your point about Alacrity, Druid has become my highest APM class by far, even beating out Virutoso and Spellbreaker. Generating as much Alacrity as possible is a lot of button pressing, that's for sure.

I think that's why there was an earth-shattering response from the community. Heal Druid used to be super cozy to play, you'd drop some spirits down and focus on using the right skills at the right time. Now, it's a ton of work - it's a lot of buttons to press, boons to upkeep, there's a tight window of Alacrity where it can fall off, and there are some encounters where the CA bar just doesn't charge up quickly enough.

It's also weird to have a strict "rotation" with CA form just to maintain Alacrity. In contrast, Mechanist presses a Mech Command button from time to time for Alac. Bladesworn uses an attack which triggers Alac in a gigantic radius. Why is something so easy for certain classes, but so difficult for Druid? It's guaranteed to scare folks away. It's bad design.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 11, 2023

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The thing I'm going to be paying attention to with the new expansion is whether Anet continues their trend of getting distracted and abandoning it halfway, Icebrood saga ending with Champions and now EoD with Gyala being the singular underwhelming new map after a year doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Yeah I’m holding off on preordering until/unless we see actually fun maps coming because the cross-spec weapons and new core weapons aren’t enough to get me back on their own.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Actuarial Fables posted:

It's been really easy to blast out a whole ton of quickness as a chrono now. It's sad to give up the shield, but I can basically maintain quickness with no boon duration and follow a mostly-dps style of play.

offhand sword is easier to use consistently but shield is still good, especially if you have things you can block or defiance bars to break. the heal signet reset works on shield block so you can get absurd defensive uptime and phantasm generation

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 11, 2023

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Jedah posted:

It's also weird to have a strict "rotation" with CA form just to maintain Alacrity. In contrast, Mechanist presses a Mech Command button from time to time for Alac. Bladesworn uses an attack which triggers Alac in a gigantic radius. Why is something so easy for certain classes, but so difficult for Druid? It's guaranteed to scare folks away. It's bad design.

Given the history of CA's buffs, I feel that it's not too weird for there to be a rotation or a need to constantly duck into CA (used to be to maintain the GotL unique buff, then to maintain might, now it's both might and alacrity). The length of time you are in CA just for buffs, though, is definitely weird.

One fun thing is that since quickness affects the channeled 4 and 5 and also how fast you can spam 1, keeping alacrity up on fights where you might stay away from the group (flak kiting on sab) and out of range of your quickness person is just that much more difficult.

The one thing I was really hoping for with the overhaul was an alacrity damage druid option, but I don't know if the 33% buff will be enough. You give up damaging CA skills, and condition equipment doesn't have a "diviners" equivalent so you have to find some way to get enough boon duration, and the more time you spend in CA giving people boons, the more your astral force drains and you're not the healer so you actually have to work to get your force filled back up.

e. Here's a random idea I had for the alacrity trait:
Give X seconds of alacrity around you when entering(/exiting?) CA. CA skills give X seconds of alacrity.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 11, 2023

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Full Ritualist (and/or Celestial and Plaguedoctor) is 42% boon duration, can get that up to ~50% with a boon duration utility or concentration sigil, which will put the GotL alac pulse at 1.5s post-patch, same as it is now with 100% boon duration. SC has full dps condi druid at 39k when assuming very little CA generation, so I'm mostly concerned about low damage pressure fights potentially trolling its alacrity uptime.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Full Ritualist (and/or Celestial and Plaguedoctor) is 42% boon duration, can get that up to ~50% with a boon duration utility or concentration sigil, which will put the GotL alac pulse at 1.5s post-patch, same as it is now with 100% boon duration. SC has full dps condi druid at 39k when assuming very little CA generation, so I'm mostly concerned about low damage pressure fights potentially trolling its alacrity uptime.

doesn't druid get Astral piss from wasted overheals?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

quote:

As of November 20, 2015 patch, Astral force can no longer be generated by healing anyone that has 100% health already, even if that person is the player themselves.

One of the downsides of the change to spirits is no longer having a couple extra constantly damaged targets to catch overflow healing. Same thing kind of happened when they killed off jagged horror horde condi necro, I remember suddenly not getting a lot of CA juice on Sabetha.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I personally think path of fire and bits of season 4 is the best content they have produced for GW2, largely because of the landscape art design and traversal design with mounts and the story bits with Joko and Balthazar, if they could of designed GW2 with mounts in mind for release, at least the raptor/springer/skimmer/griffon and saved the others for expansions, the game would of been in a amazing state on launch.

The era of walking everywhere with your highest mobility skills and weapons equipped seems so long ago now.

Related: this video I just found of some guy playing through gw2 for the first time and getting to s4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpZk4FbNT5c&t=2s

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 12, 2023

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

It's been well over a year now since I played and I just learned about a new expansion about to come out. Hopefully some cool changes come with the expansion.

All that said, I am excited to make some new friends and work on my Astralaria! I'm on part 3, The Mechanism. If anyone else has done this and has any tips or advice, it'd be really appreciated. I have some bookmarks and a hella compressed youtube video of a lady talking about her own Astralaria journey. I don't remember it every doing me wrong, so, yeah! Also, my Guardian is out in the middle of nowhere in a mega snowy place picking berries(?). Not sure what that was about, but I clearly had plans after seeing all my alts with some exotics and weapons/specs filled out. Should I leave him there until I've picked all the berries? I guess I was about to do the same with alts too, honestly not sure there.

I low key wish I understood "how" to play this game a little better than I do. Ever since its release, I just wander around doing... nothing until I get an achievement or find content that requires other people which forces me to swap tracks to doing something new.

This is my Revenant. I played a little too much GW1 and Ritualist was my jam. I'm very proud of my cat!

Zeg fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 12, 2023

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Zeg posted:

Astralaria ... If anyone else has done this and has any tips or advice, it'd be really appreciated.

The achievements are pretty straightforward and are described on the wiki. You'll need nearly 2k gold (or equivalent in materials) so find something you enjoy doing that's relatively gold efficient. Ideally several different things if you play a decent amount per-day.

If you're lost as to what to do, there's a million videos on getting gold, but daily strikes/fractals are pretty great, though finding decent groups on NA servers will likely require joining some discord communities. If you like open world, finding a regular meta-train at the times you play will be good. PvP and WvW are also relatively good gold per hour, though a bit less than the previous suggestions. If you like playing tedious minigames for hours at a time, fishing is good money. The most important thing about gold efficiency is minimising downtime between activities. As long as you're always doing something productive you'll earn at a fairly decent rate.

The economy will probably change substantially after the new expansion, but everything except fishing is still pretty much guaranteed to remain about where it is, relatively speaking. I think a lot of people are expecting legendary materials to significantly increase in price with the expansion, since there will likely be new weapons released. Open world legendary armour will probably increase the price of materials as well, since it will be accessible to many more people than the current armour sets. It might be a good idea to buy your mystic coins as soon as you can afford to.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I personally think path of fire and bits of season 4 is the best content they have produced for GW2, largely because of the landscape art design and traversal design with mounts and the story bits with Joko and Balthazar, if they could of designed GW2 with mounts in mind for release, at least the raptor/springer/skimmer/griffon and saved the others for expansions, the game would of been in a amazing state on launch.

The era of walking everywhere with your highest mobility skills and weapons equipped seems so long ago now.

Related: this video I just found of some guy playing through gw2 for the first time and getting to s4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpZk4FbNT5c&t=2s

Icebrood Saga was really promising but fumbled the bag on the ending, probably because staff were peeled off to finish EoD. imagine aurene telling you to go do a dragon response mission, forever

at least Dragonstorm is a source of low-effort daily gold and if you're lucky ascended weapons

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 12, 2023

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I think only fair to remind people that the IBS ending got fumbled cause of covid. Drizz came out without any voice acting as everyone got quarantined as they were finishing it off.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah the start of icebrood saga was very promising, a very strong start to a interesting story, but then, well.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

This is where I've left off on Astralaria. I feel like I've prepped a lot of work already, but I genuinely do not remember.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I think people would be more forgiving of IBS’s ending being cut down because of shifting staff to End of Dragons if EoD had released with more polish instead of also feeling rushed. And even with Covid, it wasn’t lack of VA that made the ending of IBS land so ooorly, so that doesn’t hold much for me.

Having zero Lunar New Year content in Cantha sucked. I wasn’t expecting anything unique since I get not wanting festival content behind a paywall, but some decorations or mirrored access to DR content wouldn’t have been too hard. Gyala Delve is not making me hopeful for the future of GW2 either.

I’m sure individual devs are all doing the best they can given how management is steering them, so I don’t blame them.

I’m not preordering SoO unless we see something that shows anet is turning things around in terms of offering fun content that’s not just a parade of gemstore skins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Zeg posted:

All that said, I am excited to make some new friends and work on my Astralaria! I'm on part 3, The Mechanism. If anyone else has done this and has any tips or advice, it'd be really appreciated.

open this page

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Astralaria_III:_The_Mechanism

when you're about to do any of the steps, click on the link for that step to get specific instructions on it. there may be alternative ways to get the collection step, shortcuts to save you time and effort, or workarounds for any glitches that still haven't been fixed since 2015 (like the one on this page)