Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The US also doesn't focus on artillery as part of doctrine, and isn't spending money to kick up manufacturing for someone else's war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Sedgr posted:

Something something escalation!

why would you put artillery shells on an escalator?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Tunicate posted:

The US also doesn't focus on artillery as part of doctrine, and isn't spending money to kick up manufacturing for someone else's war

Actually...

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-show-dailies/2023/03/28/us-army-eyes-six-fold-production-boost-of-155mm-shells-used-in-ukraine/

Sixfold production increase has been ordered.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/ManiacMagic1/status/1677301457773527040
S-60s now being reactivated in Crimea. Do they even have a sufficient amount of rusty ammo for these things left?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In 5 years

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Tunicate posted:

Air superiority is our jam. And tanks that are basically artillery.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
<Deep A Capella Bass>

Where in the world is General Surovikin?

https://twitter.com/chriso_wiki/status/1676716476689002496?s=61&t=i2fBauiVdhU9dgf29rWHtQ

Shoigu is personally on the case.

So the one changes at the MoD for the march of justice is that Wager friendly generals get disappeared.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
shell hunger seems to be a practically universal feature of serious land war

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1677382875505647630
Air raid alert issued throughout Ukraine. Mig-31Ks have taken off.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Is draftkings taking action yet on returned vs launched Russian airframes?

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/ManiacMagic1/status/1677301457773527040
S-60s now being reactivated in Crimea. Do they even have a sufficient amount of rusty ammo for these things left?

Having the ammo probably isn't as important as obeying your boss when he calls up and says, "our records show you have two dozen AA batteries that you aren't fielding. what air defense doing??".

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

CNN interviewed some Russian POWs near the front line. Dunno how much of it you can believe it, but it's pretty much what we have been hearing all year from various sources

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/06/europe/captured-russian-soldiers-ukraine-intl-cmd/index.html

quote:

“It was very different from what I saw on TV. Parallel reality. I felt fear, pain and disappointment in my commanders,” he says.

The other two POWs CNN interviewed recounted similar stories. Their only access to food and water was a 5-kilometer (3-mile) walk through minefields. Anton says their immediate commander was also a convict. Their commanders got high on the stock of painkillers they had, Slava recalls.

Under the influence, these commanders sent soldiers out under mortar fire, “giving nonsensical orders,” Slava says.

Their accounts cannot be independently verified, but they are consistent with videos posted by Russian conscripted convicts who say they were deployed to the frontline with little support.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

weg posted:

Having the ammo probably isn't as important as obeying your boss when he calls up and says, "our records show you have two dozen AA batteries that you aren't fielding. what air defense doing??".

Well given that air defense hasn't exactly been faring that well lately either, they should more be asking 'how air defense doing' instead

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah one of the ironies of this war was it highlighted to the US that our artillery had been long stagnating and was a blind spot in over-reliance on air power. It's not like we're shifting doctrines away but we're definitely investing more into our artillery blind spot now.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah one of the ironies of this war was it highlighted to the US that our artillery had been long stagnating and was a blind spot in over-reliance on air power. It's not like we're shifting doctrines away but we're definitely investing more into our artillery blind spot now.
There's a whole recent Perun video on how the US has fumbled artillery development since the end of the Cold War that's worth watching for anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A31fegpaAI

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

zone posted:

Well given that air defense hasn't exactly been faring that well lately either, they should more be asking 'how air defense doing' instead

Haha true, but I think they know exactly how air defense doing which is why they are sending ancient guns.

The question has really become, "is air defense doing?"

lol

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1677392238798577678
New security package announced. This one includes 32 apiece of Bradleys and Strykers, 31 155mm howitzers, additional Patriot and HIMARS ammo, DPICM shells, and a number of other goodies.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Sedgr posted:

Something something escalation!

water on the knee

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Shogeton posted:

As someone said, it has shades of a Trolely problem. Inaction (don't send cluster ammunition) means that civilians die, but it is through the actions and the responsibility of another. Sending the the cluster ammunition, there's good odds that it'll increase the succes of the war on Ukraine's side, which is good for Ukraine, and gives Russia's less chance to commit crimes on civilians.... but it also means that you actively took part in an action that killed civilians. So it's not just a matter of arguing the facts (how dangerous are they to civilians VS how effective are they against Russia) but also some moral questions that people have been arguing about forever. (To what degree it justified to actively cause harm to innocents, if you believe a greater amount of innocents can be saved?)

It's like the trolley problem except there's a third rail labelled 'send them the actual good poo poo that doesn't kill kids 10 years down the line', but it's got a toll gate with a negligible fee, so is obviously not an option.

OAquinas posted:

They need more 155mm shells than can be made currently. The real takeaway from this war is "lol the west has dogshit munitions production capacity for what a peer war requires"

As far as giving from existing stocks, the US's position is that it's maintaining a certain level of reserves for any potential conflict, and Ukraine will get what we can spare. Which, to be fair, is still a hell of a lot.

Or temporarily reduce the reserves by a few million while ramping up production, so they get used in a battle for survival instead of rusting in a warehouse of a nation with absolute air superiority against any other country in the world.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

<Deep A Capella Bass>

Where in the world is General Surovikin?

https://twitter.com/chriso_wiki/status/1676716476689002496?s=61&t=i2fBauiVdhU9dgf29rWHtQ

Shoigu is personally on the case.

So the one changes at the MoD for the march of justice is that Wager friendly generals get disappeared.

For what he's done in Syria, I hope he died a painful death.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Surovikin is fine and he says "hey guys!"

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1677396069397700624
Ukraine managed to repatriate the remains of those who died in the Olenivka prison massacre.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

god please help me posted:

Yeah, I don't get what the deal is. Why not make socks which are better in literally every way?

I'm assuming that the foot wraps are just 50+ year-old leftover stock.

For their 50+ year old leftover jackboots. The footwraps essentially pack your feet into jackboots and stop them bouncing around.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
I bet an aerosolized system that saturates the battlefield with thc wouldn't be against the Geneva Convention.

It should be heavier than air, too to fill up all those trenches.

Then Ukraine forces could take advantage of the Russian entrenched troops' disoriented state to waft good smelling foods their way and feed those Russian troops and talk about ways they could get the gently caress out of Ukraine

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
TheDrive have an article up covering the crashed/downed/failed Stormshadow. The tldr is it's definitely been hauled back to Moscow for reverse engineering.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/crashed-storm-shadow-missile-falls-into-russian-hands

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So how much will the cluster munitions help the Ukranians in the counteroffensive? Will it make a huge difference?

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Pablo Bluth posted:

TheDrive have an article up covering the crashed/downed/failed Stormshadow. The tldr is it's definitely been hauled back to Moscow for reverse engineering.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/crashed-storm-shadow-missile-falls-into-russian-hands
Who cares? This isn't WWII where classified fuses could be reproduced by a couple guys in a machine shop. If Russia could make advanced solid state electronics they wouldn't be using all the Chinese commercial grade poo poo in their weapons.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RDM posted:

Who cares? This isn't WWII where classified fuses could be reproduced by a couple guys in a machine shop. If Russia could make advanced solid state electronics they wouldn't be using all the Chinese commercial grade poo poo in their weapons.

Russia is actually good at electronic warfare so they might be able to make countermeasures

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3732877-ukrainian-forces-advancing-on-southern-front-line-general-tarnavskyi.html
General Tarnavskyi says that advances are being made on the front, 28 pieces of Russian equipment were destroyed, and two companies of enemy soldiers were killed and wounded.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

spankmeister posted:

Russia is actually good at electronic warfare so they might be able to make countermeasures

theorectically, sure. Also keep in mind that their missile engineers that were involved with the hypersonic missile aren't working on anything anymore. And then they have to have the materials to implement countermeasures and I don't know if they have enough washing machines for that yet.

Selling that poo poo to NK might get them a few magic beans though. I assume China already has all the info they need on them.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

spankmeister posted:

The point of cruise missiles is that you don't have to tell them what to hit after you fire them, so electronic warfare is useless.

If you want to make a cruise missile stop you hit it with another missile.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RDM posted:

The point of cruise missiles is that you don't have to tell them what to hit after you fire them, so electronic warfare is useless.

If you want to make a cruise missile stop you hit it with another missile.

No it isn't useless, not if you can confuse it's guidance systems and bring it down

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

OAquinas posted:

The real takeaway from this war is "lol the west has dogshit munitions production capacity for what a peer war requires"

This is the story of literally every major war since the invention of the cannon. Both WW1 and WW2 had shell usage massively in excess of estimates, which led to people scrambling to increase production. Every single major land war has had artillery consumption far outstrip production and estimated use and seen people blow through their peacetime stocks in the first few months.

The thing is that maintaining the sort of shell production needed to sustain a major war in peacetime is a absurd waste of time, money, and resources, so you don't do it.

Russia also doesn't have remotely the shell production required to sustain this war, the only difference is that they've been using up the carcass of the USSR's absolutely bugfuck insane stockpiles to fight this war, which has allowed them to shoot just an absurd amount of artillery. These stocks are basically depleted now, which is why their rate of fire has slowed down dramatically.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

spankmeister posted:

No it isn't useless, not if you can confuse it's guidance systems and bring it down
Aircraft from non-lovely military industrial complexes use inertial navigation.

The way to confuse inertial navigation is to hit it really hard. Like with another missile.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

I bet an aerosolized system that saturates the battlefield with thc wouldn't be against the Geneva Convention.

It should be heavier than air, too to fill up all those trenches.

Then Ukraine forces could take advantage of the Russian entrenched troops' disoriented state to waft good smelling foods their way and feed those Russian troops and talk about ways they could get the gently caress out of Ukraine

it would be because geneva outlaws literally any gas usage on the enemy, regardless of how harmless it may be.

the reason for this is less "all gas is bastard" and more "yeah okay you might toss tear gas at a trench and that's not gonna hurt anyone but your opponent mistaking it for VX and retaliating in kind sure as poo poo will hurt people"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RDM posted:

Aircraft from non-lovely military industrial complexes use inertial navigation.

The way to confuse inertial navigation is to hit it really hard. Like with another missile.

The missile knows where it is at all times anyway.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Coolguye posted:

it would be because geneva outlaws literally any gas usage on the enemy, regardless of how harmless it may be.

the reason for this is less "all gas is bastard" and more "yeah okay you might toss tear gas at a trench and that's not gonna hurt anyone but your opponent mistaking it for VX and retaliating in kind sure as poo poo will hurt people"

Tear gas in warfare will absolutely hurt people because you use it to force the enemy out of cover where you then shoot them dead with your conventional weapons.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Flyinglemur posted:

theorectically, sure. Also keep in mind that their missile engineers that were involved with the hypersonic missile aren't working on anything anymore.

They aren't working on anything because they were sent to the gulag for treason.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Geisladisk posted:

Tear gas in warfare will absolutely hurt people because you use it to force the enemy out of cover where you then shoot them dead with your conventional weapons.

i mean geneva isn't intended to make sure war doesn't hurt people period, or to outlaw war as a concept

it is intended to make sure that the most harmful and dangerous aspects of war don't self-perpetuate and make it any more wasteful and stupid than it already is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Even if that point is conceded, with the reduction of labor, the across-the-board embargoes, and the demoralized troops getting all their materiel stolen/blown up, any practical countermeasures aren't really gonna happen.

Best they can do is sell the secrets to China for inventory, but that puts a valuable weapon in the hands of a capable neighbor. Hell, China might have acquired the details on it already.