Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I actually took bowling as a gym elective senior year lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

But the ultimate best evidence of them being godawful will always be Bret Hart. When Bret jumped ship, he was probably the most talked about wrestler in the world and they had the easiest layup in the history of the world in making him their top babyface. But instead they did nothing with him and shortly afterwards turned him heel. When Owen died, they once again had the world's easiest undeserved layup, but because Bret was a heel in their plans and THOSE PLANS WILL NOT BE CHANGED, they once again kept him off TV intentionally.

Devil's advocate here, hi! WCW deserves a bit of slack making Bret heel after his debut because his most popular and most recent work in WWF prior to the screwjob was as a heel. They were probably banking on residue heat from his anti-America phase, which was red hot when it happened. So the initial idea has some merit, it's just everything, every single thing, about the execution and further planning that they hosed up.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Keep Bret as a heel, sure, but having him become the 7,384th member of the nWo*, nah

*twice! They did this twice!

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Also as good as that 97 run was, banking on Bret's heel work after being screwed over is a dumb as hell idea when he's got the sympathy of almost everyone for what happened. No amount of planning has this make sense outside of usual politics.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

When Owen died, they once again had the world's easiest undeserved layup, but because Bret was a heel in their plans and THOSE PLANS WILL NOT BE CHANGED, they once again kept him off TV intentionally.

Nah, this one isn't at WCW's feet. Bret had groin surgery in April and was supposed to be out a couple of months, and when Owen died, he extended his absence to deal with that. Bischoff sat down with him in June to get a feel for where he was and to invite him to speak on Nitro if he felt up to it (which he did), but Bret stayed away from wrestling until he felt OK coming back.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Rafts aside, WCW's was always weak compared to WWF, am I right?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

When did Bret have to retire (or take an extended leave) due to his insane amount of concussions?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

haljordan posted:

When did Bret have to retire (or take an extended leave) due to his insane amount of concussions?

When Goldberg botched that mule kicked to his head in 2000, it effectively ended his career.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

haljordan posted:

October 2000-ish, I think? About a year after the previous Starrcade with Goldberg.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Goldberg kicked him in the head in December 1999 but he kept wrestling until January 10, 2000.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

disaster pastor posted:

Goldberg kicked him in the head in December 1999 but he kept wrestling until January 10, 2000.

Yeah that was when his doctor figured out what was happening and told him he couldn't even get on a plane (amongst many other restrictions), right?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Someone should have ordered Goldberg to stop doing martial arts kicks, he never didn't botch them

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Someone should have ordered Goldberg to stop doing martial arts kicks, he never didn't botch them

His kicks ruled.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

D.N. Nation posted:

Keep Bret as a heel, sure, but having him become the 7,384th member of the nWo*, nah

*twice! They did this twice!

And remember, like Cena would do after him, Bret never, (to my knowledge), put on the nWo shirt.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Did he even get Hogan a glass of water

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

And remember, like Cena would do after him, Bret never, (to my knowledge), put on the nWo shirt.

Bret definitely wore the nWo shirt, he was the leader of the nWo!

He wore a Hogan t-shirt even more often.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MassRafTer posted:

Bret definitely wore the nWo shirt, he was the leader of the nWo!

He wore a Hogan t-shirt even more often.

Sorry. I remember him standing out in the sea of black and white by being in his wrestling gear.

But, as is most likely the case, I am often wrong about these things.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Bret was screwed right out of the gate in WCW, Hogan making Nick Patrick not do a fast count immediately made Bret look like a tool when he came out to restart the match. It only went downhill from there.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

This is where the big balls play

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Look at the adjective: balls

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Sure, but soon you'd have to order him to stop doing other things he botches, and where would that leave him? Goldberg concussed himself on the way to the ring.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

syzpid posted:

Bret was screwed right out of the gate in WCW, Hogan making Nick Patrick not do a fast count immediately made Bret look like a tool when he came out to restart the match. It only went downhill from there.

I love how the blame for that fell on... like everybody but Hogan who absolutely never used his creative control, brother.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

disaster pastor posted:

Nah, this one isn't at WCW's feet. Bret had groin surgery in April and was supposed to be out a couple of months, and when Owen died, he extended his absence to deal with that. Bischoff sat down with him in June to get a feel for where he was and to invite him to speak on Nitro if he felt up to it (which he did), but Bret stayed away from wrestling until he felt OK coming back.

OK I'll take the L on that one. I was relying on the Death of WCW (which I re-read recently) and I guess that was one of the things they just got wrong in the book.

E: my own memories from WCW from that time, as in the TV shows, are extremely vague. I kind of remember the Owen tribute match Bret did with Benoit, but other than that it's just individual moments and vibes.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 2, 2023

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

OK I'll take the L on that one. I was relying on the Death of WCW (which I re-read recently) and I guess that was one of the things they just got wrong in the book.

Death of WCW doesn't get it wrong.

quote:

Bret disappeared from TV for a while, in part because he had to undergo groin surgery that would keep him on the shelf for several months. Ultimately, nothing became of the angle, but for once, Bret’s absence wasn’t WCW’s fault, and this time, the reasons behind it were devastatingly tragic.

It is a fairly common mistaken belief, though, and the book's attitude toward WCW stupidity makes it very easy to think it's the source of that belief.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

disaster pastor posted:

Death of WCW doesn't get it wrong.

It is a fairly common mistaken belief, though, and the book's attitude toward WCW stupidity makes it very easy to think it's the source of that belief.

Well poo poo, I guess this is just all on me.

Double L Jones over here.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

edogawa rando posted:

This is where the big balls play

A quick ebay search shows a number of 1999 bowling balls. Someone is selling an NWO Wolfpack Kevin Nash one that has 0 bids at $25 if anyone really wants one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1259932900...ABk9SR7jV8f2iYg

There's a part of me that really wishes I knew about that stuff back then, but finding out about it nearly 25 years later is so much funnier.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

USED

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
If you try to select the Kevin Nash bowling ball it says "Don't pick me!"

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

probably discussed at some point in this thread but these are the Kevin Nash title runs in WCW:

- Beats Goldberg via Scott Hall cattle prod at Starrcade '98, drops belt in FPOD a week later
- Awards self title on Thunder as WCW Commissioner during nWo 2000 run, loses it the same night to Sid
- Beats Jeff Jarrett and Scott Steiner on Thunder in spring 2000, gives belt to Ric Flair to troll Vince Russo the next Nitro
- Beats Booker T via Russo swerrrrrve on Nitro in summer 2000, loses in 9-minute cell match to Booker T on the next PPV

Woof.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

D.N. Nation posted:

probably discussed at some point in this thread but these are the Kevin Nash title runs in WCW:

- Beats Goldberg via Scott Hall cattle prod at Starrcade '98, drops belt in FPOD a week later
- Awards self title on Thunder as WCW Commissioner during nWo 2000 run, loses it the same night to Sid
- Beats Jeff Jarrett and Scott Steiner on Thunder in spring 2000, gives belt to Ric Flair to troll Vince Russo the next Nitro
- Beats Booker T via Russo swerrrrrve on Nitro in summer 2000, loses in 9-minute cell match to Booker T on the next PPV

Woof.

Kevin Nash.

Never drew a sweat, smashed 6000 hearts

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Come to think of it, what even was the last good title reign in WCW? Steiner's is a bit blurry to me, but those of Nash/Booker/Jarrett were all terrible.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I remember Steiner's being pretty great because he was Scott Steiner circa 2000 and he didn't give a single hot gently caress. It's also one of only two reigns post-1997 to go over 100 days (the other is Goldberg).

So yeah, I think that big Goldberg run might be the last time the world title was in a good place (Scott Steiner's greatness notwithstanding) and that even that poo poo ended with the cattle prod spot.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

So yeah, I think that big Goldberg run might be the last time the world title was in a good place (Scott Steiner's greatness notwithstanding) and that even that poo poo ended with the cattle prod spot.

And Goldberg being the CM Punk to Hogan's John Cena, being a second fiddle world champ.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Steiner's run is great because it's 2000 Scott Steiner, but the big issue is that the company was on its last legs and their idea was for him to destroy every face and send them packing so by the end he and the heel group are feuding with, like, Ernest Miller.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Come to think of it, what even was the last good title reign in WCW? Steiner's is a bit blurry to me, but those of Nash/Booker/Jarrett were all terrible.

Good in what sense. Steiner's is really bad because the matches until DDP suck and by January the storyline is wrapped up in the horrible Magnificent Seven stuff. He says some funny things sometimes and presents himself as a big deal. The last guy who really feels like a champion and has a reign really worth talking about is Goldberg. But his reign isn't the focus of the company for most of it! The last guy who has a reign of good matches and feuds you care about is... uh... Ric Flair maybe in 1994?

But Goldberg and Hogan are both compelling champions.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
What guys did WCW use better than WWE?

I would say:
- Sting
- Goldberg
- Vader
- Scott Steiner
- Kevin Nash
- Scott Hall
- Kidman
- Raven
- Dean Malenko
- DDP
- Perry Saturn
- Marc Mero
- Lance Storm
- Ultimo Dragon
- Juventud Guerrera
- Chavo Guerrero
- Chris Kanyon
- Paul Wight
- Ricky Steamboat

Debatable
- Ric Flair
- Booker T
- Ron Simmons
- Sid
- Meng

Who am I missing?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I feel like both companies used Paul Wight the same (occasionally well but typically very poorly), but WCW had him for less time.

Also I think that Hall is debatable. Yeah, I know he was the first guy to show up for the NWO, but then Nash showed up and he was made second fiddle. Then Hogan joined and he was third fiddle. And yeah, Razor Ramon never got to be WWF champion, but he was booked pretty consistently as a featured guy who was over and did cool moves. WCW gave him the NWO angle but they also gave us Drunk Scott Hall.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 7, 2023

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

What guys did WCW use better than WWE?

I would say:
- Sting
- Goldberg
- Vader
- Scott Steiner
- Kevin Nash
- Scott Hall
- Kidman
- Raven
- Dean Malenko
- DDP
- Perry Saturn
- Marc Mero
- Lance Storm
- Ultimo Dragon
- Juventud Guerrera
- Chavo Guerrero
- Chris Kanyon
- Paul Wight
- Ricky Steamboat

Debatable
- Ric Flair
- Booker T
- Ron Simmons
- Sid
- Meng

Who am I missing?

Dusty Rhodes, Barry Windham, 2 Cold Scorpio

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Road Warriors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Defiance Industries posted:

I feel like both companies used Paul Wight the same (occasionally well but typically very poorly), but WCW had him for less time.

Also I think that Hall is debatable. Yeah, I know he was the first guy to show up for the NWO, but then Nash showed up and he was made second fiddle. Then Hogan joined and he was third fiddle. And yeah, Razor Ramon never got to be WWF champion, but he was booked pretty consistently as a featured guy who was over and did cool moves. WCW gave him the NWO angle but they also gave us Drunk Scott Hall.

Good point about Hall, and I did have Wight on the debatable list originally but then I just felt that his first year or so in WCW gave them the edge.