Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

January 6 Survivor posted:

Or are Ukrainians only worth something as an untangible, ethereal avatar of freedom instead of real people of flesh and blood?

This is a good way of describing it, the actual reality of Ukraine and the Ukrainian civilians is completely ignored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Again, evidence from Lebanon is that the actual dud rate is 83x the one claimed by manufacturers.

whats the manufacturer claim? like 83x 2% would be 166% duds

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Again, evidence from Lebanon is that the actual dud rate is 83x the one claimed by manufacturers.

What's the claimed rate? 0.3%? Are a quarter of these things duds?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

namesake posted:

Considering this was the state broadcasters line I think the UK is either going to quietly distance itself from the war effort unless cash for more weapons comes upfront or Sunak decides he needs a Thatcher moment and does some insane escalation.

We're not going to escalate poo poo: Sunak's not that sort of person and we've got zero capacity to do so anyway. When those charts of military spending appear in the press, the UK's always near the top: the reality is that we're stuck with even more insane grift than the USA, our total land forces are down to 70,000 men and our current force projection capabilities are a few thousand dudes and a single tank regiment, for a week or two, with no reinforcements or new equipment subsequently.

The UK isn't escalating poo poo.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hatebag posted:

What's the claimed rate? 0.3%? Are a quarter of these things duds?

They have been claiming 0.0X%. Like 0.06%, while the actual rate runs 5-30%, depending on the munitions in question.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Russian telegram are calling recent probes by Ukraine "Meat assaults", they are genuinely surprised when they see armor take to the field. Maybe ukraine is saving them for a rainy day.

Given that just about every video the western media puts is light forces storming forward positions that they cant retain for more than an evening I'm going to assume that ukraine are just doing those stunts for media purposes and for every video they post there are 10 examples of those guys getting mowed down or blown up by mines.

yeah and the most galling thing is that the Nazi vanguard with all their western supplied armor and equipment was immediately pulled out of the offensives south of Orikhiv and around Bakhmut when it became obvious that it wasn't going to fly and instead they are sending the normal people who are probably poor and couldn't get out of being rounded up in one of Ukraines mass mobilization drives off to charge the Russian front..

at least send in the Nazis Ukraine :(

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1677386669312319505?s=20

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

sounds like theyre running out of ammunition

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

They have been claiming 0.0X%. Like 0.06%, while the actual rate runs 5-30%, depending on the munitions in question.

huh, seems bad. Looks like the pentagon claims 2-6%. Are the reported dud rates per cluster or per bomblet? Like are up to 30% of the individual bomblets going to be uxo or does that mean at least one bomblet from a cluster doesn't explode? I'd assume the us would mostly be shipping artillery cluster canisters

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

U.S. Honest John missile warhead cutaway around 1960, showing M134 bomblets filled with Sarin

Demon cracker nation

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Al! posted:

sounds like theyre running out of ammunition

We're really trying to edge Russia into giving us "just cause" aren't we

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Frosted Flake posted:

Okay, I uploaded this for the thread's enjoyment and to forestall MLMP quibbling over details with people who don't have a pam in front of them,

M85:An analysis of reliability

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Hatebag posted:

U.S. Honest John missile warhead cutaway around 1960, showing M134 bomblets filled with Sarin

Demon cracker nation

looks like this inspired“the rock” chemical weapon?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Jesus fuckin christ there's a lot of cluster bomb types. The Area denial artillery munition (ADAM) is a cluster bomb that shits out landmines. Doubling down on crimes against humanity i suppose. There's also one that shoots out a huge mess of conductive tendrils for shorting out electrical transmission facilities. Real sicko poo poo

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

Oh yeah lol it's the exact thing. That's a fun movie

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

which then inspired some absolutely insane iraqi WMD allegations. america is an ouroboros making GBS threads down its own throat

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Jel Shaker posted:

The chemical weapon in "The Rock" then went on to inspire the intelligence that backed the invasion of Iraq.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/06/movie-plot-the-rock-inspired-mi6-sources-iraqi-weapons-claim-chilcot-report

Edit: Too slow

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Very glad I took FF's online course in Artillery Usage so that I know this is essentially the same as firing no shells a day.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

A big pitch of all this is that the US stockpile has been sitting around for too long and is about to expire anyway, so what we do give to Ukraine is likely to be even more defective.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ukraine is firing artillery but I think it's more at specific targets in the rear, or at Russian artillery, or other things they consider a priority.

They're trying to hit the Russian army where they can do some damage, but it's more an attempt to weaken them overall, instead of using it to breakthrough the frontline.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

1stGear posted:

Very glad I took FF's online course in Artillery Usage so that I know this is essentially the same as firing no shells a day.

We have about 10,000 shells in Europe already, which is enough for 10 days.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if you have to retake it, it’s not your sovereign territory

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
hm

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

We have about 10,000 shells in Europe already, which is enough for 10 days.

Are those 10k cluster bomb all artillery shells or just 10k cluster bombs? I couldn't figure out if some of em are for tanks and planes. Also same for the 3 million stockpiled in the us

I imagine the tank or bomb versions may not be compatible with ukrainian weapons

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Maybe it's optimistic, but I wonder if in a roundabout way the desperate attempt to keep Ukraine armed with cluster bombs might encourage a ceasefire and negotiations. It definitely deepens the wedge between the US and Europe, which has to be ready at this point for the war to end on any terms. They know Ukraine is not winning, it's going to be a cold winter, and now big daddy Joe Biden is sending illegal munitions to their continent.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

are cluster bombs useful for offensive operations ?

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
yeah but you gotta send in a few kids to soak up the duds first

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
you got the dud

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

euphronius posted:

are cluster bombs useful for offensive operations ?

I don't know that their usefulness is markedly different than regular bombs but there are a ton available immediately which i think is why they're the story of the week
There's thousands of american cluster bombs in europe right now and millions in america

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ukrainian civilians when they see a cluster munition drop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a0f9dNJzCA

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

1stGear posted:

It's the opening hour of so of a battle in Normandy or North Africa.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hatebag posted:

I don't know that their usefulness is markedly different than regular bombs but there are a ton available immediately which i think is why they're the story of the week
There's thousands of american cluster bombs in europe right now and millions in america

They're not effective against dug-in targets, no. If you look at the actual containers and submunitions, they do not have a cratering, blast or shock effect that degrades field fortifications.

They were designed to be used against columns of AFVs in Fulda, that's it, that's all.

e: though there is a fuze/fuzing to convert the standard DPICM to just be an inefficient HE projectile, by detonating instead of ejecting the submunitions.

ee: the more I think about it, the more that would be a way to at least expend the inventory of otherwise less useful shells.

eee: but it would be incredibly wasteful. Basically, instead of a small "pop" to scatter the submunitions, you would just set them all at once.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:16 on Jul 7, 2023

Alpha 1
Feb 17, 2012

CNN posted:

The White House announced Friday that the president had approved the transfer of cluster munitions to Ukraine, the latest instance where the US has provided Kyiv with weapons it initially resisted sending into the war.

“It was a very difficult decision on my part. And by the way, I discussed this with our allies, I discussed this with our friends up on the Hill,” Biden said, adding, “The Ukrainians are running out of ammunition.”

The interview will air in full on “Fareed Zakaria GPS” on Sunday.

The cluster munitions that the US will send to Ukraine will be compatible with US-provided 155mm howitzers, a key piece of artillery that has allowed Ukraine to win back territory over the last year.

Biden told Zakaria that the cluster munitions were being sent as a “transition period” until the US is able to produce more 155mm artillery.

“This is a war relating to munitions. And they’re running out of that ammunition, and we’re low on it,” Biden said. “And so, what I finally did, I took the recommendation of the Defense Department to – not permanently – but to allow for this transition period, while we get more 155 weapons, these shells, for the Ukrainians.”
https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/07/politics/joe-biden-cluster-munitions-ukraine/

This is as close as we're going to get to an admission that the NATO stockpiles are gone. The full might of NATO technowar could not overcome the primitive orcish shamanism of "having factories that make shells instead of financial scams." :orks:

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Hedenius posted:

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1677021744748453900?s=46&t=mzWS2vgSInnU9jlt8C3n_Q

I think the central problem with the Ukrainian army is that it appears to consist of 99% medics.

looked for an article on him and found this: https://taskandpurpose.com/news/marine-veteran-killed-kramatorsk-ukraine/

quote:

Tortorici served as a data systems technician in the Marine Corps Reserve from 2009 until 2016, leaving the Corps as a corporal, according to his service record, which was provided to Task & Purpose. His military awards include the Armed Forces Reserve Medal and Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.

His record lists no deployments and his final duty assignment was with Marine Wing Support Squadron 473 at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, California.

a computer toucher in the reserves with absolutely no combat or medical experience becoming a medic, hmmmmmm

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It isn’t that stockpiles are empty probably, but it may be getting to the point it is getting a little awkward. South Korea also doesn’t want to ship too many shells…they may need them.

But pretty blunt from the US to admit the Ukrainians are out of HE and they need to use cluster munitions which are probably not going to be effective against Russian entrenchments and are just either going to use for area denial or terror.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Alpha 1 posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/07/politics/joe-biden-cluster-munitions-ukraine/

This is as close as we're going to get to an admission that the NATO stockpiles are gone. The full might of NATO technowar could not overcome the primitive orcish shamanism of "having factories that make shells instead of financial scams." :orks:

Disgusting that tankie biden is repeating ruzzian talking points

Neurolimal has issued a correction as of 22:22 on Jul 7, 2023

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Alpha 1 posted:

The full might of NATO technowar could not overcome the primitive orcish shamanism of "having factories that make shells instead of financial scams." :orks:

The amount of economic value produced in a single elvish spire is a hundredfold greater than all the smoke-belching factories of the orcs put together.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol all the russia running out of ammo articles and ukraine was out in a month

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah. Cluster munitions and cluster equipped artillery was a major part of the offensive operation in degrading and destroying radars, comms, and artillery units.

The claim is that some of the newer 155mm DPICM gets to 2-3% dud rate, but when talking tens of or hundreds of thousands of rounds, 700,000,000 submunitions that’s a lot of duds anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
In the second age the elves built a massive army in order to defeat Sauron, all armed and armored with the finest weapons and armor that elf-kind could produce. By the time of the third age their economy was so hollowed out by neoliberalism grief that when the hobbits came seeking aid for the single most important quest in middle-earth all the elves could provide was some boats, rope, elfgirl bathwater, and moral support.