Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

good ole eyebeem (sp?).

For years I read the UN as "I-Beam" and then right before he disappeared I realized it could be "IBM"

Hmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

amenenema posted:

For years I read the UN as "I-Beam" and then right before he disappeared I realized it could be "IBM"

Hmmmm

He got banned and had several accounts. Both of those sound familiar.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Don't sell it short, he's one of the most famous permabanned posters ever. He just keeps coming back year after year, going on the third decade.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Hood scoops, chin spoiler, and t-tops. Looking good Frenchy!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Who was the goon that drilled speed holes and used corrugated plastic sheeting as underbody panels for his civic?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MetaJew posted:

Who was the goon that drilled speed holes and used corrugated plastic sheeting as underbody panels for his civic?

vitamin j

you can really tell who has been to the track and who hasn't :rolleyes:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DJ Commie posted:

Don't sell it short, he's one of the most famous permabanned posters ever. He just keeps coming back year after year, going on the third decade.

pretty sure he threw the towel in a few years ago

I miss all his cycling posts

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So nice to have a freshly detailed car.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I remember the pain of keeping a black car clean. Bless you.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Raluek posted:

vitamin j

you can really tell who has been to the track and who hasn't :rolleyes:

Holyshit that brings back memories. Someone post Vitamin J's car ITT pls and thx

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Full Collapse posted:

I remember the pain of keeping a black car clean. Bless you.

The struggle is real.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Detailed the pig and drove it very spiritedly today

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

How do you resist the urge to get "ROADHOG" as a vanity plate?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

How do you resist the urge to get "ROADHOG" as a vanity plate?

And strap some tusks on the front.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

cursedshitbox posted:

Indeed.

Why have simple and elegant when one could have the approximation of the engine room of a nuclear sub.

I don't understand why are there two batteries?

This is before Mazda rubbed off on Ford on how not to be stupid?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Fabulousity posted:

I don't understand why are there two batteries?

This is before Mazda rubbed off on Ford on how not to be stupid?

It's a diesel thing.

It takes a pretty substantial amount of energy to spin a ~7L diesel engine with a 21.5:1(and 16.2:1) compression ratio.
The starter is rated at 3.6kW. The batteries are also subject to a 160A draw for around 5 seconds(2 seconds with the 6.7) prior to starting for the glowplug system.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

nerdrum posted:

When owners poke fun at their own vehicles I gotta appreciate it. Awesome car, buck teeth or not!

In all honesty some aftermarket brand could make a killing with body kits for this generation of BMWs. They also have at least one up on Audi for keeping the multimedia dial around (presumably the dial in the center behind the shifter). Touchscreen only BS is the worst.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

nerdrum posted:

I hate to say it but the car looks good.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

TenaciousTomato posted:

When owners poke fun at their own vehicles I gotta appreciate it. Awesome car, buck teeth or not!

In all honesty some aftermarket brand could make a killing with body kits for this generation of BMWs. They also have at least one up on Audi for keeping the multimedia dial around (presumably the dial in the center behind the shifter). Touchscreen only BS is the worst.

Adro has a new front bumper I've been eyeing. That said, I'm honestly having the stock kidneys grow on me.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

TheFonz posted:

Adro has a new front bumper I've been eyeing. That said, I'm honestly having the stock kidneys grow on me.

Getting bigger is a worse outcome!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Got myself a nice new racing stripe :ohno:

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Charles Leclerc posted:

Got myself a nice new racing stripe :ohno:

:negative:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

LOL

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Woof

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
drat thats so much worse

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

chrisgt posted:

Oh right, I forgot they used POA valves on these.
I use r152a on all my r12 cars, even my 134a cars and it works great. I just make sure to flush the system and change to the correct oil.

Electric fans are ok, i'm just always worried about the crappy little alternators they put in old cars, can't keep up well at idle.

I've used R-152 in my Cherokee, my '90 RX-7, and my AE86. It works great in originally-R-12 cars, and fantastic in R-134a cars.
My Cutlass no longer has the crappy 30A externally-regulated original alternator. It's had a 12SI internally regulated alternator for a decade. Currently it has a Duralast 94A alternator specced for a mid-80s Suburban with HD electrical, as I recall. You can see it there in the picture, but from that angle it's hard if not impossible to identify the model of alternator. I have a 100A chromed alternator, but it's got a bad winding in the stator. The shop that built/sold it has a "lifetime" warranty, but they've serviced it twice without figuring out why it was blowing regulators, so I don't trust them any more. Not to mention that the only day their open past 5PM is the 4 hours they're open in Saturday morning. Alternators and Starters are all that they do...

fake edit: LOL, just checked and they're not even open Saturdays at all, now.

For the fans, I might upgrade to a pair out of a 2000s GM truck - they're a set already with a shroud and all, and definitely enough for V8 powah.

Steve French posted:

Freshly washed after finishing up rear suspension replacement, almost ready for parade on Tuesday. Needs a bit of transmission fluid and a fix for the saggy headliner.

On earlier engine bay talk, at least it’s pretty easy to work on

Less easy to work on and a bit dirty, but I think one of the better looking modern options

That Firebird is still boss, and yeah, at least you actually see the *engine* in the Audi.

Fornax Disaster posted:

One of the great things about vintage engine compartments is the bright colours they used to paint engines. This is my Cutlass -

'68?
Right? Mine '70's the same color. The copper/bronze they used on the Olds big blocks was neat, too. Orange on old Chevy, moving to "corporate" blue (less exciting, but still a color, as opposed to black or grey. Buick red, various blues (Pontiac's metallic blue was pretty good.) Chrysler oranges and blues? Ford blue.

TheFonz posted:

Oh, that's a *lot* better. Still excessive, but dialed back to about a decade ago.
Your (aftermarket) grille helps the stock maw a bit. Mainly thevisible divider bar across the middle.

Voltage posted:

drat thats so much worse

You think so? I mean, I like that the kidneys are smaller, but the pucker forward is meh.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

It looks like a cross between a Mustang and a Charger. It still looks somewhat better IMO, but only because I completely dislike BMW's new styling now.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
The rest of the car looks great but it needs a refresh to look more like the base 3, new hood and front end really

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

pictures do the big grill a huge disservice, irl it actually looks pretty good imo

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I also feel like his aftermarket grille looks much better than the stock horizontal slats.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Darchangel posted:

'68?
Right? Mine '70's the same color. The copper/bronze they used on the Olds big blocks was neat, too. Orange on old Chevy, moving to "corporate" blue (less exciting, but still a color, as opposed to black or grey. Buick red, various blues (Pontiac's metallic blue was pretty good.) Chrysler oranges and blues? Ford blue.

Yes, 68. I used VHT metallic gold engine paint. It’s too bright compared to the original colour which was more of a tan-gold, but I wanted to stick with something I could source locally rather than go through the hassle of getting paint shipped across the border.

Re: alternators. I replaced the 30 amp with an externally regulated 55 amp alternator. It was a bolt on replacement, completely original looking, cheap and probably good enough for anything I’ll be doing with that car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fornax Disaster posted:

Yes, 68. I used VHT metallic gold engine paint. It’s too bright compared to the original colour which was more of a tan-gold, but I wanted to stick with something I could source locally rather than go through the hassle of getting paint shipped across the border.

Re: alternators. I replaced the 30 amp with an externally regulated 55 amp alternator. It was a bolt on replacement, completely original looking, cheap and probably good enough for anything I’ll be doing with that car.

Yeah, the VHT is too bright. I think that's what I used when I refreshed mine (it had to come mostly out to replace a punctured oil pan, so I pulled it entirely, cleaned, and painted it. I had a can of the correct color from a Olds retro place once upon a time, but that; was a long time ago, and I don't care enough to bother.

I have stereo gear, so I want MOAR POWAH out of the alternator. You'll note I'm using a later model aluminum alt bracket as well. I'm not terribly concerned about originality, but I don't want to hack it up, so some GM Lego and reversible additions are usually the order of the day. Those cooling fans use factory mounting points for the shroud, for example.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

MiniFoo posted:

Getting ready for more paint:

Yes, I've expressed my concern about that fender panel gap, I believe it's temporary since the fender still needs paint and it just isn't fully lined up yet. I hope. No, I have no clue why there's a handgun on Giselle's roof. :tif:

:vince:

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Nice color choice

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My car was covered in pollen and stuff so I gave it a wash this lunchtime. Then of course you have to take it for a drive to make sure it's dried well.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

gently caress I've just noticed the garage put the front wheels on backwards again.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

gently caress I've just noticed the garage put the front wheels on backwards again.

sweet car, but also lmao

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I want more chaos

MORE

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Holy guacamole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That is in fact a fantastic color choice.

What's the official name of it?