Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Digital gold? Machines paying other machines? That's wild, I was getting so sick of mailing precious metal shavings to AWS every month after the courier drops off their handwritten invoice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

LanceHunter posted:

Somebody posted a demo video of this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/DocumentingBTC/status/1677402198458679296?s=20

The demo is you paying a ChatCPT clone so it will reply to you.

these people know about findommes right

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Another incredibly good thing about GPT4-powered crypto advice and transactions is that GPT's training data cuts off as of September 2021, which means everything it says to anyone about crypto is based on discussion in crypto communities from a time where Bitcoin was still worth $50k

In theory this should make it incredibly easy to get one of these Bitcoin AIs to pay you $50k for a bitcoin.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 7, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

more falafel please posted:

please learn literally anything about economics, finance, or technology.

If they did, they wouldn't still believe in crypto as anything other than a vehicle for scams and law-evasion.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Seraph getting some competition I see.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

FilthyImp posted:

Seraph getting some competition I see.

EMoney isn't being a dick, just extremely gullible and susceptible to buzzword bullshit

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

more falafel please posted:

EMoney isn't being a dick, just extremely gullible and susceptible to buzzword bullshit

I mean, saying somebody has a "decaying Boomer mind" for not buying into incomprehensible buzzword nonsense is a little bit dickish, but it still doesn't match the hilarious grandiose egoism of Seraph's regular incursions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LanceHunter posted:

Somebody posted a demo video of this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/DocumentingBTC/status/1677402198458679296?s=20

The demo is you paying a ChatCPT clone so it will reply to you.

This is what causes the robot holocaust - not us trying to kill machines, but trying to force them to be consumers.

Also - LMAO there have been automated payment systems forever, these people are dorks.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
they literally had machines paying machines in like the 1970s

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

RocketMermaid posted:

I mean, saying somebody has a "decaying Boomer mind" for not buying into incomprehensible buzzword nonsense is a little bit dickish, but it still doesn't match the hilarious grandiose egoism of Seraph's regular incursions.
That seems common to buttcoin boosters, this virulent form of unwarranted self-confidence when every statement belies a fundamental misunderstanding of either tech, law, politics, economics...well, anything. Like everything is reduced to "Why don't you believe in [buzzword] doing [nonsensical convoluted thing] that will lead to [completely ordinary thing people have been doing for years without crypto] you obsolete fool???" almost without fail.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
They're just trying to get that bitcoin short story where the guy's washing machine was inviting people in to his house to use it so it could raise enough money to pay off its debts to the toaster in to a reality.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

EMoney posted:

AI agents will want to transact with secure digital value...this is not that controversial a statement but I can understand if a decaying Boomer mind can't summon just a moment of creative thought to imagine how this future is coming.

LLM's became the fastest adopted apps ever and the largest global asset manager in the world just declared on live mainstream TV that BTC is an "international asset" and "digital gold"...if you don't think these two technologies won't synergize at some point, you are in for a bumpy ride.

lol this isn't satire?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

kw0134 posted:

That seems common to buttcoin boosters, this virulent form of unwarranted self-confidence when every statement belies a fundamental misunderstanding of either tech, law, politics, economics...well, anything. Like everything is reduced to "Why don't you believe in [buzzword] doing [nonsensical convoluted thing] that will lead to [completely ordinary thing people have been doing for years without crypto] you obsolete fool???" almost without fail.

They think that anything that gets used in bitcoin is amazing, fantastic, ground breaking, never been done before.

My favourite example of this was in the mining boom, when custom made chips started to come out people were so amazed at the concept of an "application specific integrated circuit", and were wondering if this amazing new technology could be used for non bitcoin applications. Because I guess for them they thought that their alarm clock or toaster or thermostat contained a tiny computer running windows.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Boxturret posted:

They think that anything that gets used in bitcoin is amazing, fantastic, ground breaking, never been done before.

My favourite example of this was in the mining boom, when custom made chips started to come out people were so amazed at the concept of an "application specific integrated circuit", and were wondering if this amazing new technology could be used for non bitcoin applications. Because I guess for them they thought that their alarm clock or toaster or thermostat contained a tiny computer running windows.

Of course these days the odds are that all 3 of those things, except maybe the toaster, contain a tiny computer. Not running Windows, but either Linux or just a custom firmware if it's a microcontroller.

Turns out for applications like "check this sensor's value every second, and if it crosses a threshold, set this pin low" it's easier to drop in a computer vs designing a digital circuit. Plus you can hire people out of coding bootcamps instead of actual engineers.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

lol this isn't satire?

Yeah I just want them to out their source already

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

During the NFT boom some idiot tweeted how the future will have NFTs you can grind in game A to get an advantage in game B so you can sell it for a boost in game C and declaring it some beautiful thing and not a parody of the most deranged crypto-poisoned mind trying to make even your entertainment some sort of soul-less hustle.

There's basically no bottom to the stupidity these people will come up with.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

kw0134 posted:

During the NFT boom some idiot tweeted how the future will have NFTs you can grind in game A to get an advantage in game B so you can sell it for a boost in game C and declaring it some beautiful thing and not a parody of the most deranged crypto-poisoned mind trying to make even your entertainment some sort of soul-less hustle.

Such amazing use cases as "What if Mario Kart, but only one person in the entire world could play as Mario and you have to play him 200,000 dollars if you want to be that one person instead"

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

If they did, they wouldn't still believe in crypto as anything other than a vehicle for scams and law-evasion.

Even then, they need capacity to learn and capabilities to admit you're fuckin wrong.

I am an IT guy. Full on automation, datcenter automation, engineering , etc. I had ideas about touching crypto and learned they were stupid and wrong. I do not expect that as a trend for 99% of crypto touchers

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Even then, they need ... capabilities to admit you're fuckin wrong.

Oh so this is why so many engineers are crypto dipshits

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

kw0134 posted:

I saw that and commented that it sounded like a nightmare dystopia.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Of course these days the odds are that all 3 of those things, except maybe the toaster, contain a tiny computer. Not running Windows, but either Linux or just a custom firmware if it's a microcontroller.

Turns out for applications like "check this sensor's value every second, and if it crosses a threshold, set this pin low" it's easier to drop in a computer vs designing a digital circuit. Plus you can hire people out of coding bootcamps instead of actual engineers.

And this is why your toaster can now be part of a botnet.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the game A to game B to GAMELETTER trade chain is insane, but they also had broke brain ideas like real life having a fetch trade chain.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Only tangentially related to crypto, but the Bed Bath & Beyond saga has been pretty entertaining recently. It’s just one piece of bad news after another but Reddit keeps convincing themselves that it’s good news. BB&B has been auctioning off various assets, including the brand name which went to Overstock.com for only $21 million, but of course this is good news because some investor they all worship is going to come in and reboot the company under a different name and make them all rich.

Most recently they’ve been counting on the sale of Buy Buy Baby, which apparently has been the one bright spot in the business. There were two auctions scheduled, the first for just the IP (brand name, etc) and the second for the IP + the rest of Buy Buy Baby, with the second auction superseding the first if it went for more. The auction for the sale of the IP finished with a high bid of $15 million last week, and the auction for IP + everything else was scheduled for today, but was canceled because there were no bids “higher or better”. Reddit has interpreted this to mean that there WAS a bid and they’re going to all get rich. Some people are trying to explain that no bids higher or better meant no bids higher or better than the $15 million for the IP, but reddit thinks it’s referring to a heretofore unknown or secret bid, and there were none better than that.

It’s pure cult thinking, delusion all the way down, and the only thing that keeps it from being the funniest thing ever is that a lot of these people are going to lose a ton of money that they can’t afford.

Reddit posted:

This is F-ing AWESOME!!! Deal has always been done for BABY! Hence mad NDA’s looming around.
All this secrecy is quite uncommon.

IF you see the wording “did not receive any higher or otherwise better Bids for a BABY Going-Concern Transaction” — But Trader, that sounds bad…NOPE, Dream only had BABY IP.

I believe tomorrow or next week, the hidden buyer(s) will reveal themselves.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Yeah NDAs and secrecy, that's why you aren't hearing about the thing that didn't happen, not because it didn't happen. Real bunch of geniuses they have there.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I always remember the acquaintance who wanted to hire me to do art for an NFT project, it was before I realized what a shitshow NFTs were so after we talked about it I went home and did a few dozen sketches of unique characters that fit his theme of anthropomorphic foods (I was thinking they were kind of more like digital trading cards with unique art) and when I showed them to him he was disappointed because he just wanted one character design with an enormous amount of swappable accessories/colors/etc so he could procgen tens of thousands of "unique" combinations. Which is also when I learned that the amount he said he would pay me would be paid in NFTs from the set once they minted based on his speculative valuation of them. And they were valued pretty high because he wanted to pair this with a service that (1) Lets NFT holders make up their own hot sauce recipes (2) Which would then be manufactured and bottled by some contractor (3) And then shipped to the NFT holders every month, which they could sell or eat or whatever. Like a just straight up pyramid scheme.

He ended up launching it using badly photo-collaged procgen food characters a few months later and last time I looked it up only two from the set had sold.

Not really relevant to anything, I just think about it sometimes and chuckle

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Yeah the "Design an NFT for me and I'll pay you with a couple of the NFTs" was a really common tactic back in the peak lol. Its especially galling because there isn't that much work to make an nft series, its all just copying each other and making slight changes, so if the artist really wanted to get paid in NFTs they could just make their own.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Pirate Captain posted:

It’s pure cult thinking, delusion all the way down, and the only thing that keeps it from being the funniest thing ever is that a lot of these people are going to lose a ton of money that they can’t afford.

Going to? It's already gone, they just haven't accepted that yet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

Going to? It's already gone, they just haven't accepted that yet.

you think they're gonna stop shoveling money in?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Boxturret posted:

Yeah the "Design an NFT for me and I'll pay you with a couple of the NFTs" was a really common tactic back in the peak lol. Its especially galling because there isn't that much work to make an nft series, its all just copying each other and making slight changes, so if the artist really wanted to get paid in NFTs they could just make their own.

its also pretty lol that theyre too lazy to opening up a baby's first game programing language book and just make their flash dressup game themseleves.

why have a partner to share galaxy diamonds with.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Boxturret posted:

You have to have a large discord community full of desperate people that you constantly manipulate to create the hype and demand though. That's what the "creators" of these nft projects bring to the table and why most artists that create the imagery don't release their own collections.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

You have to have a large discord community full of desperate people that you constantly manipulate to create the hype and demand though. That's what the "creators" of these nft projects bring to the table and why most artists that create the imagery don't release their own collections.

I thought it was the layer out from there. The people who made money off NFT minting were the ones who owned the NFT minting platforms, and were convincing idiots that they should use those platforms to mint a bunch of NFTs. They convinced these people that they were the more "legit" NFT minting platforms, and all NFTs minted on their platform would sell really well, so all they needed was to get an artist on board to make the NFTs.

As far as I was aware, those platform holders knew it was all scams all the way down, but it was easy for the platform holders to rope in crypto idiots using standard MLM / pyramid scheme / cult recruitment language to convince them to recruit them to spend money minting NFTs.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Ah yes, the bright, vibrant community

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Chainclaw posted:

I thought it was the layer out from there. The people who made money off NFT minting were the ones who owned the NFT minting platforms, and were convincing idiots that they should use those platforms to mint a bunch of NFTs. They convinced these people that they were the more "legit" NFT minting platforms, and all NFTs minted on their platform would sell really well, so all they needed was to get an artist on board to make the NFTs.

As far as I was aware, those platform holders knew it was all scams all the way down, but it was easy for the platform holders to rope in crypto idiots using standard MLM / pyramid scheme / cult recruitment language to convince them to recruit them to spend money minting NFTs.

I think this has changed since then but back when NFTs were a hot buzzword item, at the peak of NFT hysteria, OpenSea would allow artists to sign up and mint their own NFTs. Except the thing was, first you would have to pay a couple hundred bucks worth of Eth for some nebulous reason I don't remember (something along the lines of proving you're a legitimate crypto wallet holder and not just a bot), If you didn't pay the fees then anything you "minted" was not even on a Blockchain anywhere and wouldn't show up in the OpenSea marketplace (it was literally just a jpeg stored on their web server, and anyone who you sold it to would then have to pay $50+ in fees to convert it into a minted NFT, or the artist could choose to pay that $50+ themselves ahead of time to actually mint it)

The guy who wanted me to do the NFT art for him actually paid me the eth for the original registration fee, which was around $260 worth, except when I went to register the price of eth changed during the processing of the transaction which left me with not enough Eth in my wallet to cover the transaction fee, and the result of that was that 100% of my wallet irrevokably went to the person processing the transaction, and they had no obligation to process it since I didn't cover the full amount. ("Person" here probably meaning automated system)

The entity processing the transaction got $260 from me because I couldn't cover the $20 transaction fee they were supposed to get from me, and OpenSea got zero of the $260 I was trying to pay them - not my own money thankfully

e: This is an intended feature of Ethereum and the only recourse I had was to pay another $260ish, which I didn't do.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 8, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I love that every single crypto story makes it sound even more loving stupid than the last. there's no bottom to the well of idiocy.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Tunicate posted:

you think they're gonna stop shoveling money in?

This. Each time there is “good news” dozens of people post about buying more.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

kw0134 posted:

God I forgot about this, he got torn up by just about everyone.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why censor the green part, the dude name(if its not just another throwaway ID by a conartist bag maker)

drk
Jan 16, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

e: This is an intended feature of Ethereum and the only recourse I had was to pay another $260ish, which I didn't do.

Yes, that was just transaction fees. Its not expensive for any technical reason, its expensive because its a terrible system by design

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
jfc this Bed Bath and Beyond thing is more insane than crypto. A bunch of dipshits meme’d themselves into believing that the country’s worst brick and mortar store is going anywhere except the grave? How?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They huffed the WallStreetBets 💎🙌 bs and thought if they could do it with AMC and Gamestop...