Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Sure, but what does God need with a starship?
Bang alien chicks that piss through pores in their skin. That’s His deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

if commuting is work I'm going to move 4 hours away

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I never listened, but my mom did. It was rush or focus on the family.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

slave to my cravings posted:

excess retirement savings

:hmmyes:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

cat botherer posted:

Bang alien chicks that piss through pores in their skin. That’s His deal.

Add green skinned chicks to that and I'd bet Kirk could get into that.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Willa Rogers posted:

yah, the workforce participation rate is a better indicator, in which case lol:

https://www.bls.gov/charts/employment-situation/civilian-labor-force-participation-rate.htm

The NYTimes people like to talk about this version of that number, since it's been going up:

Their trick is to exclude all the olds and the youth, serving up only the "prime cut" of the workplace.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
here are some splits in the employment numbers

Also of note, the unemployment rate for Black workers increased 6 percent in June, after reaching a low of 4.7 percent two months earlier.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1677344471539920896?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

The NYTimes people like to talk about this version of that number, since it's been going up:

Their trick is to exclude all the olds and the youth, serving up only the "prime cut" of the workplace.

wonder what the denominator looks like

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

here are some splits in the employment numbers

Also of note, the unemployment rate for Black workers increased 6 percent in June, after reaching a low of 4.7 percent two months earlier.

lol i wonder how many of the education/healthcare jobs are administration

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

99% of the jobs are services hah

good to see governments hiring

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

HallelujahLee posted:

lol i wonder how many of the education/healthcare jobs are administration

Probably a lot, and I bet a lot of the education is private/for-profit too.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

lol these cutoffs. maybe if this was 18 - 65 it would mean something.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

euphronius posted:

99% of the jobs are services hah

good to see governments hiring

i wonder how much in the hole we are from the complete gutting of state and local governments that happened in 2008

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Probably a lot, and I bet a lot of the education is private/for-profit too.

thats my guess

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Freelance Work. I'd love to ask if anyone here has any experience being a Computer Toucher on Fiverr or other Freelance platforms. I've honestly considered it many times but pussy out halfway through the Registration process because i just KNOW I'll be ReviewBombed to hell for refusing to participate in any crypto crimes:smith:

Reposting cuz i need an actual response on this

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

lol these cutoffs. maybe if this was 18 - 65 it would mean something.

that would make number bad though?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
You can't fix America just don't get caught

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Reposting cuz i need an actual response on this

Anyone I know who has done this gets stiffed most of the time and has to sue for their lost money

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

drat I had no idea how many goons were boomers with broken brains from right wing talk radio in the 90s while none of my friends and I never listened to that poo poo.

was this a typo or are you really calling me a boomer?

RC Cola posted:

Anyone I know who has done this gets stiffed most of the time and has to sue for their lost money

and this is just allowed? No type of screening or auditing of the potential clientele by the site's Administration?

awesome

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

and this is just allowed? No type of screening or auditing of the potential clientele by the site's Administration?

awesome

lol. the internet america is mostly scams, legal or illegal. even trump was famous for stiffing everyone and he became president. there's not really any negative to not just stiff someone

it's honestly completely amazing that early eBay days in the 90s worked as well as it did

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

with five times fewer windows and doors, thanks to this genius architect

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/TechInsider/status/1677338712009523200?s=20

quote:

Layoffs and the rise of artificial intelligence make some executives feel insecure in their positions, according to the survey. APN's report showed 77% of executives saying that layoffs have negatively impacted their mental health, and 74% worry that improvements in AI will render their positions obsolete.
Long hours and high stress levels cause executives to turn to substance use. 45% of executives surveyed reported using painkillers like Codeine, Oxytocin, and Vicodin, according to the survey. The use of stimulants and sleeping pills is also common, at 34% and 35% respectively, according to the report's findings.

:owned:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Oh no!

Anyway....

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Maybe they should work from home

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
oh no the lesser nobility feels the dusk of empire setting upon them

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

lol 75%+ of them are so stupid they don't realize ai is just another scam, just the most ignorant people on earth in control of so much money

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

was this a typo or are you really calling me a b

:wink:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's afraid.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

What are you even stressed out about? You don’t do anything to begin with.

Just chill out and ride the money pile.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

imagine if oil execs freaked the gently caress out every time a "cold fusion is right around the corner" article came out, just freaking out right in public that their jobs are done for and cold fusion is going to ruin them all. tech execs are the biggest drat rubes out there

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

We could use more frontline healthcare workers. Maybe they should go for that. They dont even have to give up the drug addictions.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
don't worry yall, mr goolsbee has it figured out. NO RECESSION! NEVER AGAIN!

quote:

Chicago Federal Reserve President Austan Goolsbee said Friday he’s confident inflation can be tamed without a recession, even with additional interest rate increases likely.

Speaking to CNBC following the release of the June nonfarm payrolls report, he said the ongoing job growth is part of the Fed’s “golden path” toward restoring price stability without taking the economy.

“What the Fed’s overriding goal right now is to get inflation down. We’re going to succeed at it and to do that without a recession would be a triumph,” Goolsbee told CNBC’s Steve Liesman during a “Squawk on the Street” interview. “That’s the golden path, and I feel like we’re on that golden path. So I hope we keep putting off the recession to forever. Let’s never have a recession again.”

Economists, including those working at the Fed, see credit contraction leading to at least a modest recession later this year or early in 2024.

However, one of the economy’s key cogs, the jobs market, is showing only slight signs of slowing down. Payrolls grew by just 209,000 in June, below Wall Street estimates, but an unemployment rate at 3.6% suggests a resilient economy.

“Overall, the jobs market is outstanding and is getting back to a balanced, sustainable level,” Goolsbee said.

Inflation, though, has remained stubbornly high and well above the Fed’s 2% goal.

Following the June meeting, a strong majority of Federal Open Market Committee officials indicated in their updated quarterly projections that they see at least two more quarter percentage point rate hikes before the end of 2023. Though Goolsbee said he is confident the that inflation is ebbing, he also sees more tightening as likely.

“The consensus of almost all the FOMC in the statement of projections is that over this year, we will have one or two more hikes. I haven’t seen anything that says that’s wrong,” he said. “That is on the golden path where we get inflation down to something like our target and we do it without a recession.”

Fed policy is seen as operating with a lag, meaning that the 10 rate hikes since March 2022 likely haven’t worked their way through the economy yet. Goolsbee said he is undecided about whether to hike at the July 25-26 FOMC meeting.

“There are some modest increases to come, but we’ve done a lot of the lifting and now we’re waiting for the impact,” he said.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Maed posted:

imagine if oil execs freaked the gently caress out every time a "cold fusion is right around the corner" article came out, just freaking out right in public that their jobs are done for and cold fusion is going to ruin them all. tech execs are the biggest drat rubes out there

This but the tech execs are the cold fusion startups and keep freaking out that someone realizes it’s a grift or someone else actually invented it first. Oil execs at least sell an actual product.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Maed posted:

imagine if oil execs freaked the gently caress out every time a "cold fusion is right around the corner" article came out, just freaking out right in public that their jobs are done for and cold fusion is going to ruin them all

Do we have compelling proof that this isn't the case? :thunk:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
*james franco spring breakers voice* bull market F O R E V E R

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Raccooon posted:

What are you even stressed out about? You don’t do anything to begin with.

They're worried they'll be found out.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Xaris posted:

don't worry yall, mr goolsbee has it figured out. NO RECESSION! NEVER AGAIN!
I loving hate his name so much holy poo poo

Sure thing Austan

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The job of a tech executive is to say a lot of bullshit that sounds impressive to dipshit investors but that anyone with any expertise in the area knows is total bullshit so they're right to be worried for their jobs imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

The job of a tech executive is to say a lot of bullshit that sounds impressive to dipshit investors but that anyone with any expertise in the area knows is total bullshit so they're right to be worried for their jobs imo

The job of a tech executive is to take all the credit from the people who made the product.